Author Topic: The Movie News/Reviews Thread  (Read 637248 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2009, 12:31:21 AM »
Pirates 4 starts filming next year:
Disney is on the verge of putting Rob Marshall in as director of a fourth installment of “Pirates of the Caribbean,” a move that puts the film on track for a 2010 production start, with Johnny Depp back as Captain Jack Sparrow.
CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2009, 06:30:44 PM »
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »
From the soundtrack??
http://www.avatarmovie.com/
CBG

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »
Drunk

Philip Cardgage

• Frank O'Conner's (Franchise Development Director of the once well reviewed Halo series) Life Coach
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:13 AM »

First image of Haley as Freddy Krueger in the remake.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm actually shocked that they didn't try to screw with his look like everyone else has done with every slasher remake this generation.

Yeah. I mean they didn't CHANGE Jason either but it was such a terrible movie either way. I'm hoping they make Nightmare less camp than it became towards the end.

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2009, 11:02:47 AM »
:)

ManaByte

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »

First image of Haley as Freddy Krueger in the remake.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm actually shocked that they didn't try to screw with his look like everyone else has done with every slasher remake this generation.

Yeah. I mean they didn't CHANGE Jason either but it was such a terrible movie either way. I'm hoping they make Nightmare less camp than it became towards the end.

The footage shown at Comic Con shows that Nightmare is pretty much a direct remake.
CBG

Philip Cardgage

• Frank O'Conner's (Franchise Development Director of the once well reviewed Halo series) Life Coach
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »
Did it leak?

ManaByte

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2009, 08:28:51 PM »
Cast for Machete announced!
http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/08/05/machete-cast-releas/
The confirmed cast of Robert Rodriguez’s (and protégé Ethan Maniquis’s) next movie, Machete, was announced in Variety today, and there are some unexpected names making the cut. Machete features Danny Trejo playing the title character, a Mexican Charles Bronson-type gun for hire — a character who appeared in a fake trailer for 2007’s Grindhouse.  Starring alongside Trejo will be Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Steven Seagal, Michelle Rodriguez, Nash Bridges co-stars Cheech Marin and Don Johnson, and in her first major film role in some time, Lindsay Lohan. The list puts to bed rumors that Jonah Hill would also join the cast. Machete is expected to hit screens next year.

:o :o :o

They fucked with the wrong Mexican!

:nsfw :nsfw
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
CBG

Phoenix Dark

• The only nicca Sade dated
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »
holy shit @ the cast  :o

EvilBoris

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »
 New work from Terrence Malick will indeed make it out the the end of the year, also to be accompanied with a curious IMAX doco, 'The Voyage of Time'.
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2009/08/finally-tree-of-life-scheduled-for.html

Johnny Depp more interested in tea parties and Sparrow shenanigans and will not 'reprise' his role in The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gWqLREHQxBHCMhKCAdktrMpz_HFw
 Parnassus still does not have a US Distributor

Powerslave

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:54 PM »
I know nothing of AVATAR except that it's set in space with ultra realistic CGI.

ManaByte

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2009, 02:30:40 AM »
holy shit @ the cast  :o

People are assuming Lohan will be the daughter from the original spoof trailer.
CBG

Philip Cardgage

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2009, 09:17:48 AM »
Wtf do i know the bad guy from...

ManaByte

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2009, 01:57:34 AM »
IESB has learned exclusively (believe me this is solid and I've confirmed it three times over with studio executives and our close ties to CAA) that one of the biggest producers in Hollywood history is currently in active negotiations to develop the feature film adaptation and no it's not Jerry Bruckheimer or Peter Jackson. It's the man behind Jaws, E.T., Indiana Jones and Transformers, Mr. Steven Spielberg.

Spielberg is blown away by writer Stuart Beattie's take on the game in his script entitled HALO THE FALL OF REACH. This coupled with the fact that his Dreamworks umbrella is looking for a big tent pole to help launch their newly independant studio with distribution over at Walt Disney Pictures after losing Transformers to Paramount in the separation, it's the perfect combination.

CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
he produced Transformers

/discussion

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »
Hey, the first one was entertaining!
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2009, 03:17:58 PM »
They are moving forward with two more Riddick movies to complete the trilogy started with Chronicles of Riddick and they're just discussing the rating issue now:
    The Riddick discussion is about rating now…

Though Hollywood likes their PG Ratings, the next chapter in the COR series was always envisioned as an R rating, like Pitch Black…

One Studio exec suggested doing both “The Underverse” and “The Furyan”, (working titles) at the same time, allowing us an R rating for the first and a PG rating for the second.

The good news- David Twohy’s script comes in next month.

That's from Vin Diesel.
CBG

Tauntaun

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2009, 05:18:46 PM »
They are moving forward with two more Riddick movies to complete the trilogy started with Chronicles of Riddick and they're just discussing the rating issue now:
    The Riddick discussion is about rating now…

Though Hollywood likes their PG Ratings, the next chapter in the COR series was always envisioned as an R rating, like Pitch Black…

One Studio exec suggested doing both “The Underverse” and “The Furyan”, (working titles) at the same time, allowing us an R rating for the first and a PG rating for the second.

The good news- David Twohy’s script comes in next month.

That's from Vin Diesel.

YES!  Riddick was sex.  Give me more sci-fi.  mmmmm  :drool

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2009, 12:51:37 AM »
I thought Chronicles of Riddick bombed and there was no hope for any more. I wasn't blown away by Chronicles, but I did love Pitch Black and Escape From Butcher Bay.
WDW

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2009, 01:40:15 AM »
PG Chronicles of Riddick = Shitty shit shit

I always thought it had(s) an interesting mythos but before shit gets interesting it goes all typical Hollywood rollercoaster action. Hopefully they'll do something interesting with the next installments, I'm not too hopeful though, seeing as how they're fighting for R rated content (but that's probably typical).
:9

etiolate

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2009, 02:14:15 AM »
I wonder if the visual direction is actually being pulled from Fallout 3 or something (or is there some other precedent?). Its as if the Hughes Brothers played the game and had this image in mind when filming. I'm not that knowledgeable on how movie are born and progress but would Gary have that much influence on the actual look of the movie?

Either way, I love the way it looks and can't wait to watch it.

Whitta wouldn't have much say.  Writers are normally requested to make some changes/alterations up to a point. But they don't get to pop in and suggest changes to the director. They are kept pretty separate from the film making process.

ManaByte

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »
CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »
That looks so awful. :lol
PSP

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »
What a piece of shit

Enough with trailers that exceed one minute, btw. Red band or not

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »
Normally, I give first time directors a lot of leniency, but that looks awful just from the trailer.  Not to mention, for someone that carved his name in the digital effects realm, the CG looks like total shit.
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »
Oh god, its like a Dogma without Chris Rock
:9

ManaByte

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »
No it's like Constantine but taking ideas from The Mist (Dennis Quaid's death is like directly out of the spider part of the Mist) while looking like a made for SyFy movie.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2009, 09:11:42 PM »
CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
Abduction movie? :yawn
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »

CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »
Yawn.

So, a quick Google search shows that none of the names or information from The Fourth Kind trailer come up as legit. That is pretty fucked up to have Milla talking as herself, vouching for the credibility of the so-called "archive footage". :lol
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2009, 02:09:19 PM »
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/17/bruce-willis-confirms-role-in-the-expendables/

Bruce will play Mr Church, the man who hires the Expendables, a highly-trained team of deadly combat mercenaries, to go on a mission to South America to overthrow and execute a villainous dictator. Interestingly enough, the role of Church was originally offered to Schwarzenegger, who declined in favor of a smaller cameo part due to political concerns. Schwarzenegger will now play a retired Lieutenant General of the Expendables.
CBG

Tauntaun

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
No it's like Constantine but taking ideas from The Mist (Dennis Quaid's death is like directly out of the spider part of the Mist) while looking like a made for SyFy movie.

When I saw the preview I said Constantine 2 and my friend said "looks horrible".  :lol 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2009, 03:03:16 PM »

The owls are not what they seem!

This movie looks so awful.  :lol

That is pretty fucked up to have Milla talking as herself, vouching for the credibility of the so-called "archive footage".

There's no archive footage or even any real events related to Nome, Alaska. It's just Texas Chainsaw Massacre/The Strangers all over again, only with even more pretending that there's an actual story that the movie's based on.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:08:38 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »

This.

A good alien flick can be awesome, but that just looks outdated. The "true story" is almost always bullshit

ManaByte

« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2009, 03:17:14 PM »
They're trying to make to be like a SciFi Blair Witch Project...and failing thanks to the internets.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »
For fistful:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/20/script-for-aronofskys-black-swan-is-very-intriguingwith-a-quiet-slow-burn/

(Spoiler warning: Since this article is based on a script review, there are spoilers all over, even before the jump. You’re warned.)

There’s a review of Mark Heyman’s script for Black Swan, soon to be a Darren Aronofsky film starring Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, over at ScriptShadow. There’s a lot of detail there and some good analysis, but the piece opens with a huge bit of salesmanship that will likely get at least half our readers interested in the film really, really fast: “in this movie, Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis have sex…And not just nice sweet innocent sex either. We’re talking ecstasy-induced hungry aggressive angry sex.” Does that make all you puerile bastards more interested in a movie about ballerinas? Yeah, I thought so. More after the break.

I don’t always agree with the take of Carson at ScriptShadow, but I at least get where he’s coming from. And in this case, I’m intrigued by the premise and description. Basically, Black Swan sounds like it could be a Don’t Look Now sort of piece — ‘quiet slow burn’ sounds really appropriate, and I’d love to see Aronofsky make that work on screen. He can nail things this script suggests: soft tension, an increasing lack of trust in your own perception, a shaken sense of identity.

We’ve previously run this description: Portman is a veteran ballerina who finds herself locked in to a competitive showdown with a rival dancer, with the stakes and twists increasing as the dancers approach a big performance. Portman’s character is not sure whether her rival is a supernatural apparition or if she is having delusions.

Based on this review, that sounds more or less right. Portman’s character, Nina, is angling for the lead role in Swan Lake, where she’d have to play two halves of one being, the ‘White’ and the ‘Black’. Nina’s overtly sweet nature makes the White a snap, but her director has doubts about her ability with the dark side, and Nina struggles to find the right darkness. Then, as ScriptShadow summarizes:

…she begins noticing another girl around town and at the ballet company who looks exactly like her. But not just “exactly.” We’re talking identical. Yet every time Nina tries to get close, the girl turns away or hides her face. Finally, Nina meets this mysterious doppelganger after rehearsal. Her name is Lily. And while she definitely looks like Nina, she’s by no means an identical replica. Was it Nina’s imagination perhaps?

Nina and Lily begin to revolve around each other, and in her mind Nina’s identity begins to blur with Lily’s. One thing ScriptShadow notes is that the script really takes its time. The thing is 130 pages long, and a good chunk of that is evidently dedicated to creating moments and observing very small action. On the page that probably seems indulgent, but that’s the sort of thing I can see Aronofsky knowing how to work. He’s no slouch when it comes to timing and understanding how a subtle moment can change the tone of a scene. Oh, right, and then there’s the sex. You’re probably already thinking Requiem For A Dream, and who am I to stop you?

The film was put into turnaround by Universal two years ago before Portman’s interest and The Wrestler’s success helped revive it, and is currently a total independent production. Fox Searchlight may come on board to distribute. Filming will hopefully begin in the fall in New York City.
CBG

Armitage

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
wonder what fistful'll think of that one.  hopefully this will lead to masturbation, then crying, then healing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:28:25 AM by Armitage »
<3u

ManaByte

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2009, 03:12:21 PM »
http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/08/singer-stick-sword-into-excalibur-redo.html

Warner Bros. has closed a rights deal to remake the 1981 “Excalibur,” with Bryan Singer producing and developing the picture as a potential directing vehicle.

Excalibur - now with GAY.
CBG

« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2009, 01:12:08 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2009/08/20/beatles-submarine-movie.html

Zemeckis and Disney may remake Yellow Submarine.

But they might as well do something completely different because the original film wasn't even voiced by the Beatles.
AKQ

ManaByte

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2009, 02:00:10 AM »
Yea but it featured their music, they were the main characters, and they did appear at the end.

I like the idea that was put out there to keep the original ending with the remake

And since Zemeckis is 100% cg these days it could turn out to look at least interesting. 
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2009, 03:34:26 PM »
Mel Gibson will star in "The Beaver" for director Jodie Foster.
The script, written by Kyle Killen, topped the Blacklist in December.

Gibson will play a depressed man who finds solace in wearing a beaver hand-puppet. On top of helming, Foster will play the role of the man’s wife.

Foster boarded the project and brought it to Gibson, with whom she co-starred in 1994's "Maverick."

Anonymous Content's Steve Golin and Keith Redmon will produce the film. Producers are pushing for a September start date in New York.

Financing for the $18 million-$19 million pic has yet to be finalized. A studio could pick up the project or it could go the indie route, as Golin did with Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's "Babel."

It's possible that Gibson's production company Icon could get involved in some way. Icon has distribution shingles in territories such as the U.K. and Australia.

Project had several star and director combos circling -- including Steve Carell and Jay Roach -- over the past several months.

Pic brings Foster back to feature directing for the third time, after 1991's "Little Man Tate" and 1995's "Home for the Holidays."

TL;DR version = Mel Gibson is in Jodie Foster's Beaver.

CBG

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
For fistful:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/20/script-for-aronofskys-black-swan-is-very-intriguingwith-a-quiet-slow-burn/

(Spoiler warning: Since this article is based on a script review, there are spoilers all over, even before the jump. You’re warned.)

There’s a review of Mark Heyman’s script for Black Swan, soon to be a Darren Aronofsky film starring Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, over at ScriptShadow. There’s a lot of detail there and some good analysis, but the piece opens with a huge bit of salesmanship that will likely get at least half our readers interested in the film really, really fast: “in this movie, Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis have sex…And not just nice sweet innocent sex either. We’re talking ecstasy-induced hungry aggressive angry sex.” Does that make all you puerile bastards more interested in a movie about ballerinas? Yeah, I thought so. More after the break.

I don’t always agree with the take of Carson at ScriptShadow, but I at least get where he’s coming from. And in this case, I’m intrigued by the premise and description. Basically, Black Swan sounds like it could be a Don’t Look Now sort of piece — ‘quiet slow burn’ sounds really appropriate, and I’d love to see Aronofsky make that work on screen. He can nail things this script suggests: soft tension, an increasing lack of trust in your own perception, a shaken sense of identity.

We’ve previously run this description: Portman is a veteran ballerina who finds herself locked in to a competitive showdown with a rival dancer, with the stakes and twists increasing as the dancers approach a big performance. Portman’s character is not sure whether her rival is a supernatural apparition or if she is having delusions.

Based on this review, that sounds more or less right. Portman’s character, Nina, is angling for the lead role in Swan Lake, where she’d have to play two halves of one being, the ‘White’ and the ‘Black’. Nina’s overtly sweet nature makes the White a snap, but her director has doubts about her ability with the dark side, and Nina struggles to find the right darkness. Then, as ScriptShadow summarizes:

…she begins noticing another girl around town and at the ballet company who looks exactly like her. But not just “exactly.” We’re talking identical. Yet every time Nina tries to get close, the girl turns away or hides her face. Finally, Nina meets this mysterious doppelganger after rehearsal. Her name is Lily. And while she definitely looks like Nina, she’s by no means an identical replica. Was it Nina’s imagination perhaps?

Nina and Lily begin to revolve around each other, and in her mind Nina’s identity begins to blur with Lily’s. One thing ScriptShadow notes is that the script really takes its time. The thing is 130 pages long, and a good chunk of that is evidently dedicated to creating moments and observing very small action. On the page that probably seems indulgent, but that’s the sort of thing I can see Aronofsky knowing how to work. He’s no slouch when it comes to timing and understanding how a subtle moment can change the tone of a scene. Oh, right, and then there’s the sex. You’re probably already thinking Requiem For A Dream, and who am I to stop you?

The film was put into turnaround by Universal two years ago before Portman’s interest and The Wrestler’s success helped revive it, and is currently a total independent production. Fox Searchlight may come on board to distribute. Filming will hopefully begin in the fall in New York City.

Movie of the millennium?
Drunk

ManaByte

« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »
A Team!

http://www.wwtdd.com/2009/10/first-look-at-the-new-a-team/

:rock

I'm not too big on this, but it looks like they've got a pretty good cast for the A-Team themselves.
dog

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2009, 02:34:56 PM »
I don't really understand why they didn't just use Mr. T, but the dude they cast looks badass, so I don't care anymore. I've never seen a single A-Team episode so I probably won't catch that one in theatres.
SRY

Tauntaun

« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
I don't really understand why they didn't just use Mr. T, but the dude they cast looks badass, so I don't care anymore. I've never seen a single A-Team episode so I probably won't catch that one in theatres.

I PITY THE FOOL!    :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt

ManaByte

« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »

I PITY THE FOOL!    :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt :mrt

He was born in the 90s. What do you expect? A-Team is the 80s.
CBG

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

He was born in the 90s. What do you expect? A-Team is the 80s.

Only missed it by a few years, too.
SRY

Tauntaun

« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »
No excuses!  :maf

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
Wait, we have people here that were born in the 90's? Boo! Go away, youngins! :maf
dog

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »
Wait, we have people here that were born in the 90's? Boo! Go away, youngins! :maf

Hell, I'm still weirded out by people born in the mid-80s.
野球

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2009, 04:35:03 PM »
I was born in the 90's and have enjoyed many episodes of the A Team and Macgyver.

I'll eventually catch up.

Hell, I'm still weirded out by people born in the mid-80s.

Gimme a break :D
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:tauntaun
SRY

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »

Isn't it time for your nap, oldman?

Back when I was your age, we respected our elders!
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
Where's my dadgum pills?!
dog

ManaByte

Expendables confirmed to be movie of the infinity!
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »
http://twitter.com/marialascala

Cameras r rolling with sly Bruce and Arnold all together for the first time

That's the publicist for the movie.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

CBG

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Expendables confirmed to be movie of the infinity!
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2009, 05:32:04 PM »
Didn't you make the official movie news thread.  The thread this kind of stuff should go into.  God you're an awful poster. 
NtGay

ManaByte

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »
That thread just gets buried.
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
 :omg
dog