Author Topic: Bioshock Arkham Asylum  (Read 16861 times)

Beezy

Re: Bioshock Arkham Asylum
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
So uh, is this game anything like Bioshock? I'm probably the only person here who never played that game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »
Maybe you should and find out
fat

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »
Bioshock is garbage.
Boo

« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »
I bought Bioshock last Fall. Played it for a couple hours, thought it was pretty damn brilliant, but then stopped and moved on to Dead Space. I should really finish it one of these days.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 09:05:22 PM by distantmantra »
野球

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #244 on: September 26, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »
I'd probably think that if all I played was stupid JRPGs :lol
PSP

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2009, 12:28:30 AM »
Other than they're both kind of dark, I don't even know how they're similar.  The thread title never made much sense but I'm sure there's some reason around here for it.
Tacos

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2009, 12:31:31 AM »
There were some parts of Arkham Asylum that felt a lot like Rapture.
dog

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2009, 12:37:16 AM »
In architecture?  Maybe.  And I guess the jumpy insane criminals towards the end were kind of like splicers....I guess.

I don't know.  I just never made much of a connection between the two other than the thread title.
Tacos

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2009, 12:44:12 AM »
The first videos of the game just showed the environments which were all danky, no sunlight, crumbling architecture and whatnot.  It sort of started from there I guess.

cool breeze

« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »
Other than they're both kind of dark, I don't even know how they're similar.  The thread title never made much sense but I'm sure there's some reason around here for it.

yeah, I was wondering the same.  I mean, there are the audio logs, but everything has audio logs now.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #250 on: September 27, 2009, 02:34:55 AM »
You guys don't get it. It's that feeling Bioshock gave. That mystery, that lure. Maybe gaming isn't for you. Go read a book instead.
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2009, 02:47:27 AM »
And both Bioshock and Batman have crazy guys taunting you throughout the game.  That and the audio logs are about it.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #252 on: September 27, 2009, 03:27:28 AM »
If you took the original Arkham Asylum trailers and took out the parts where you could see the signs, you'd probably think it was a weird teaser for a Bioshock sequel.  There's really no other next-gen game with a similar art style plus the moody music and all that.

Actually, the early magazine previews suggested that the story was going to have depth and some twists and that it was therefore automatically going to be a lot like bioshock.  That's just some dumbassery but that probably planted the seed in a lot of nerd minds.  Personally, I just think the visuals are sort of like Bioshock's but whatever.  The game could be called Metal Gear Windwaker too.

cool breeze

« Reply #253 on: September 27, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
I was partially joking.  Batman has some elements that feel right out of Bioshock, and others that feel adapted from other games too.  It does a good job at taking the good parts of other games and making them work with Batman as the main character.

I do remember the old magazine articles and the big thing they mention that wasn't really there was more focus on detective mode and looking for clues.  The final game just has you looking for an item in a room, then following a trail.  I was expecting something more like Condemned.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #254 on: September 27, 2009, 06:26:47 PM »
You guys don't get it. It's that feeling Bioshock gave. That mystery, that lure. Maybe gaming isn't for you. Go read a book instead.

what mystery?!  :lol

Batman fighting the joker and hey, other batman villains from his past are there too. wow huge fucking mystery.  I wonder how it'll turn out in the end.  It might be different than the result of the last 5000 encounters batman had with the joker.  Maybe they'll decide to kill off Batman at the end of the game and drop the franchise completely.  Go fight a room of guys, boss fight, follow the vapor trail, repeat.  yeah, GOTY.  Just like Heath Ledger's role as the Joker is the best performance by any actor in any movie ever. fucking batman fans.

The audio logs, the PA and other environmental audio, the grittiness of AA, and progression through one huge place are all very reminiscent of Bioshock.   Except Bioshock actually was a mystery because it didn't have 50 years worth of comics and movies preceding it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #255 on: September 27, 2009, 06:49:07 PM »
I don't think you get it man. Maybe this isn't for you.
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #256 on: September 27, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »
Finally beat it this afternoon (on normal :weaksauce) and like others have said, the the twin-titan fight and the Joker battle were pretty lame, but the overall game was great. GOTY. Comic book nerds vindicated. Japan owned. Haters suck at having good taste.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:14:18 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #257 on: September 27, 2009, 07:33:40 PM »
It reminded me of Bioshock because it was green and decayed and obviously the hub structure.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2009, 12:44:14 AM »
I don't think you get it man. Maybe this isn't for you.

it isn't, but I do get it (I don't really think it's a bad game, i was just being overdramatic for fun.) it's a decent game based on a very popular license, which seems to shoot people's opinion of it through the stratosphere.  it's cool though, i'd be the same way if they made a video game based on blue velvet or something like that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:46:41 AM by Kranz Fafka »

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2009, 02:33:58 AM »
A lot of people who like it aren't Batman fans - like me.  It's just that damn awesome. :zzz

Lucretius

« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2009, 05:52:59 AM »
yeah, I know a lot of people who couldn't give a shit about Batman who are diggin on this game.  And I think the story, characters and world are interesting enough to make non-fans to be really get sucked in.

I just beat it this weekend and am now going back to find all the Riddler stuff.

The game actually reminds me of old school Zelda in it's simple and obvious exploration barriers that can only be bypassed when you get a special tool.

For the sequel I hope they figure out creative ways to make the boss battles more than just killing thugs and titans.

After I find all the Riddler stuff, I immediately am going to replay the game on a hard.  And that says something about the game as I rarely, if ever, replay a game so soon after beating it.
lip

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #261 on: September 28, 2009, 07:53:22 AM »
See, it's like BioShock. It's the draw. The allure. People are in wonder of such an environment. They get it.
fat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »
also both games have shit ass final boss battles.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #263 on: September 28, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
also both games have shit ass final boss battles.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
...with mutants
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: September 28, 2009, 07:35:04 PM »
Finished all the Riddler stuff this afternoon. I don't think I'll mess with the challenges, it doesn't seem worth it unless you Gold everything, and that would probably be a pain in the butt.
©@©™

Lucretius

« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2009, 01:12:10 AM »
I hope they're going to start work on a sequel soon if they haven't already.  I'd like to see some creative boss battles.  Although I missed bona fide boss fights in Arkham, I respect that they didn't force it.

What do you guys want to see in the sequel?  What villains should they include and how would you impliment them into boss battles?
lip

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #266 on: September 29, 2009, 01:15:43 AM »
Lots and lots of QTEs
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #267 on: September 29, 2009, 01:32:45 AM »
I hope they're going to start work on a sequel soon if they haven't already.  I'd like to see some creative boss battles.  Although I missed bona fide boss fights in Arkham, I respect that they didn't force it.

What do you guys want to see in the sequel?  What villains should they include and how would you impliment them into boss battles?

Clayface would pretty much be the best boss fight if they did it right.

Anyway, in general I'd like to see more of the straight fights and more of the indirect ones. 
Riddler and Scarecrow were good because both were enemies Batman usually walks up to and bitch slaps to defeat.  Most of the conflict with them in stories is everything leading up to the confrontation.  The other boss fights weren't too great.  Joker was lame since he was another bitch slap character, except they made him Bane for the final fight.  The game would have been awesome if it ended with you taking the antidote, Joker acting all defeated, then you smacking him around a bit for fun.
[close]

Ra's Al Ghul would be a good main villain since he could do both.

Good indirect fights would be Two-Face, Hush, Hugo Strange, Mad Hatter, Penguin, Black Mask

Good standard boss battles would be Mr Freeze, Firefly, Dead Shot, Clayface (could be either), Catwoman, SUPERMAN, Nightwing (or Robin).

actually, they need a level where Robin gets controlled by Hugo or something and you kick him around for a bit.  If they have cripple Batgirl in AA, Nightwing or Tim Drake Robin should fit.

Lucretius

« Reply #268 on: September 29, 2009, 01:42:59 AM »
Clayface would pretty much be the best boss fight if they did it right.

Anyway, in general I'd like to see more of the straight fights and more of the indirect ones. 
Riddler and Scarecrow were good because both were enemies Batman usually walks up to and bitch slaps to defeat.  Most of the conflict with them in stories is everything leading up to the confrontation.  The other boss fights weren't too great.  Joker was lame since he was another bitch slap character, except they made him Bane for the final fight.  The game would have been awesome if it ended with you taking the antidote, Joker acting all defeated, then you smacking him around a bit for fun.
[close]

Ra's Al Ghul would be a good main villain since he could do both.

Good indirect fights would be Two-Face, Hush, Hugo Strange, Mad Hatter, Penguin, Black Mask

Good standard boss battles would be Mr Freeze, Firefly, Dead Shot, Clayface (could be either), Catwoman, SUPERMAN, Nightwing (or Robin).

actually, they need a level where Robin gets controlled by Hugo or something and you kick him around for a bit.  If they have cripple Batgirl in AA, Nightwing or Tim Drake Robin should fit.

Mighty Mouse
lip

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #269 on: September 29, 2009, 03:30:37 AM »
The question is where would a sequel take place?
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #270 on: September 29, 2009, 03:38:55 AM »
They could take a few sections of Gotham City (ie: city hall, Wayne towers, etc) and splice them into a "sandbox" area.  I'd prefer if they left the batmobile out though so that it doesn't become too gta-like.

Lucretius

« Reply #271 on: September 29, 2009, 04:24:32 AM »
They could take a few sections of Gotham City (ie: city hall, Wayne towers, etc) and splice them into a "sandbox" area.  I'd prefer if they left the batmobile out though so that it doesn't become too gta-like.

I agree.  One of the things that makes the game great in my mind is it's simplicity... it has an economy of design that keeps it from getting fussy.  Though the next game may be more ambitious I hope they keep it simple.
lip

cool breeze

« Reply #272 on: September 29, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »

Well, they could always make the Batmobile like those submarines in Bioshock that take you from area to area, but not an actual driving sequence.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: September 29, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »

Well, they could always make the Batmobile like those submarines in Bioshock that take you from area to area, but not an actual driving sequence.

That would probably be the best way to go, having different sections of the city for you to explore and using the Batmobile [via of short cutscene] to navigate between them or maybe even the sewers. For example, as part of the story, there could be sections of the city that get blocked off and are inaccessible from the street or are too heavily guarded to enter directly.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #274 on: September 29, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »
a cheap-o way to block it off would be to say the baddies have AA turrets, making the Batwing useless, and the city is in a state of emergency with all roads blocked, so you're forced to use the Batboat to go from area to area.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #275 on: September 29, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
Lots and lots of QTEs
No, GOD NO. The Bourne Ultimatum has proven how fucking shitty that is.

Bourne Ultimateum is awesome though
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #276 on: September 29, 2009, 01:18:35 PM »
Lots and lots of QTEs
No, GOD NO. The Bourne Ultimatum has proven how fucking shitty that is.
Yes. This is 100% true. The whole game is a damned QTE. I keep trying to convince myself to go back for the gamerscore, but I can't.

SantaC

« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
bioshock must one of the overrated games ever

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #278 on: September 29, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »
Hey SantaC, your opinion still matters for shit, just thought you should know
fat

SantaC

« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2009, 01:36:02 PM »
Hey SantaC, your opinion still matters for shit, just thought you should know

I already know that I am the greatest.

Edit: it is so much fun riling you up demi
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:39:30 PM by SantaC »

Lucretius

« Reply #280 on: September 30, 2009, 12:14:27 AM »
so right after
the part where Scarecrow makes you think that your console has crashed
[close]
my 360 actually crashed.  It didn't red ring, but I had to do a hard reboot.
lip

« Reply #281 on: September 30, 2009, 12:54:42 AM »
Two weeks after I ordered this on Half, it's still not here. I think I got ripped off. Time to file a claim and get my money back, I guess.

Really wanted to play this, especially for $35.  :maf
野球

« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »
Started the game today, it's probably the best licensed title I've ever played.

With that said, how does saving work in this game? Autosave at points? Is there a manual save option?
野球

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »
Autosave at certain checkpoints, no manual save. That's my only really gripe with the game, otherwise it's pretty incredible. Easily the best licensed game of all-time.
PSP

« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2009, 09:02:01 PM »
Autosave at certain checkpoints, no manual save. That's my only really gripe with the game, otherwise it's pretty incredible. Easily the best licensed game of all-time.

I got to the first communication and challenge with the Riddler, and quit after it, thinking it would be a checkpoint. Nope!

Oh well.
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
It autosaves usually every time you go into a new area, or just before something dangerous.
©@©™

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #286 on: October 15, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »
Yeah, I felt into that trap, but what Molotov says is true. Anytime you go into a new area that requires loading, a cutscene or what have you, it autosaves.
PSP

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »

I got to the first communication and challenge with the Riddler, and quit after it, thinking it would be a checkpoint. Nope!

Oh well.

I did that in Gears of War 1, right after fighting the giant spider thing in the caverns. Buddy and I cleared that, then he had to bail. Apparently the save point is about 1 minute after the spider for no good reason.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: October 16, 2009, 09:39:22 PM »
I hate games that are autosave only. There's just no point to it in this day and age.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2009, 10:19:42 PM »
Well, no, that's not at all true. There's plenty of gameplay reasons for it; the designer can ideally craft an experience which increases tension and decrease player bookkeeping. The bigger issue is poorly implemented autosave.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: October 16, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »
When I'm done playing, I want to save my game and quit. I don't want to have to think back and try to remember if the game autosaved recently.
dog

treythemovie

« Reply #291 on: October 16, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »
Auto saves aren't that bad except for the first time you get fucked over by it. After that you'll always remember to check for the autosave symbol/message.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #292 on: October 17, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »
When I'm done playing, I want to save my game and quit. I don't want to have to think back and try to remember if the game autosaved recently.

That would be a poorly implemented auto-save.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #293 on: October 20, 2009, 01:26:31 AM »
I've been rocking the soundtrack for days now.

amazing score for an amazing game.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #294 on: October 21, 2009, 09:12:02 PM »
Just finished beating this one. Very enjoyable. One of those games where the whole ends up being greater than the sum of the parts. There is really no part of the game that is exceptional but nearly all of it is generally good which is an impressive feat since most games have parts you absolutely hate.

If it wasn't the Batman character or mythology I don't know that I would be as tolerant over some of the faults (like the poor AI of the enemies, and the repeating bosses) but because it's Batman and a comic book game I sort of let some of the criticisms I have go by. It was such a great approximation of that story and universe and you really ended up feeling like Batman which nearly every superhero game fails at imo. Oddly enough it also sort of ending up feeling like a 3-D metroid game to me in a weird way but more enjoyable than the actual 3-D metroid games as this game didn't feel like it wore out its welcome.

Special nod to the voice acting in general and Mark Hamill specifically. This might be the best voice acting I've ever experienced in a videogame. And the combat system while very simple is sort of deceptively awesome as you progress in the game and start stringing together awesome combo chains.

« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2009, 05:57:54 PM »
wat.

Mutant Joker?
[close]

Great game, though.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #296 on: October 22, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
Yeah, that's why it's BIOSHOCK
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2009, 02:03:21 AM »
Oh, hey. Yeah that suddenly makes sense. But no-one had finished the game by the time the thread title had the reference in it, had they?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2009, 02:45:52 AM »
Maybe I'm just SUPER PSYCHIC
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »
Friend is sending me a copy of Batman: AA for PS3. Are my eyeballs doomed to the inferior experience?