Author Topic: COD6 MW2 thread of inferior Clancy SP, sweet SpecOps and energy swords MP  (Read 136640 times)

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
Re: COD6 MW2 thread of trailers, SpecOps, kitchen sink MP and killstreak crates
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »
Don't forget killstreak pick-ups, lulz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »
See you guys online :bow
fat

E-DuB

« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2009, 10:20:37 PM »
there's nukes

This is what I don't get. When I saw the justin.tv channel with the two kids playing, it looked like it it hit both players. So does this hit both sides and if so what the fuck is the point of it then???

duckman2000

« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »
lulz, there is a stream with a bunch of dudes sucking up to a couple of (alleged) IW dudes in the game, and talking about some other horrible people that are playing with cracked copies, and how much they all hate those dudes.  :lol

archie4208

« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »
The team that sets the nuke wins.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2009, 10:53:40 PM »
Don't forget killstreak pick-ups, lulz

explain this shit
itm

duckman2000

« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2009, 11:01:26 PM »
You can get care packages, which can apparently have just about anything in them, and either team can pick them up. One clip seemed to show a dude being made a chopper gunner after picking one up.

On a separate note, the B2 attack looks insane.

pilonv1

« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »
thats ok I guess, its not as distinguished mentally-challenged as the other things
itm

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2009, 01:33:48 AM »
I don't see a problem with the nuke thing since it basically designed to just end the game faster if it's ridiculously unbalanced.  But there's just so much stuff in this game that it feels like the core "shooting" gameplay might not get to actually be used that much when every other kill gets you a killstreak reward and every death makes you stronger.  Some of the shit they threw in also seems pretty unnecessary, like who would ever want to replace their grenades with throwing knives in a game that lets you throw a silencer on a friggin' shotgun? 

Also, there is no possible excuse for being able to poop out a grenade when you die.  That is homo.

/nerdrant

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2009, 01:36:03 AM »
I can't wait to use martyrdom.
PSP

Jansen

« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »
[youtube=560,345]xoBlZzSzx_A[/youtube]

ZOMG FIRST REVIEW! :hyper

duckman2000

« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »
Why was that guy banned for that review?

Also, the story is officially stupid.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:32:59 AM by duckman2000 »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2009, 12:09:58 PM »
yeah, i read some story spoilers, it's 24-level distinguished mentally-challenged

there's really nowhere left for them to go with the modern warfare setting after this one
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »
yeah, i read some story spoilers, it's 24-level distinguished mentally-challenged

... it's a video game.

there's really nowhere left for them to go with the modern warfare setting after this one

Versus World War II? :lol
PSP

duckman2000

« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »
Well, they have already begun dropping Halo nuggets into MP, maybe the next campaign will be Call of Duty 8: Space Opera.

... it's a video game.

Right, but COD4 was a bit more tempered, and still plenty gripping. It was essentially Military Thriller Movie: The Game, whereas I'm not sure what this. And this is coming from someone who didn't mind it when he thought that it would be DMZ: The Game. Getting Halo 1 ----> WTF ----> Halo 2 vibes from this.

Oh well, there is still SpecOps mode, damn it. Also, :bow Splinter Cell :bow2 next year.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:28:50 PM by duckman2000 »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
The story in Call of Duty 4 was pretty stupid as well. I never once thought, "Man, what Oscar caliber storytelling!"

This one apparently has even bigger set pieces, which sounds awesome because it's a video game and not a fucking movie. I don't care if driving a car into a plane sounds bombastic, I bet it'll be fun as hell to play.

... Which is the point.
PSP

duckman2000

« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
I'm really not sure if the "it's a game, maaan, all that matters is that it's awesome to play" shit can be applied to a game as tightly scripted as this one. And COD4 was at least somewhat plausible. If the story in COD was "pretty stupid," then this takes several leaps across that and straight into Hot Shots territory. It would seem dumb in a movie, and controlling the action doesn't make it seem any less stupid. They are the ones that push the whole cinematic bit.

I don't feel like turning this thread into spoiler central for anyone smart enough to avoid spoilers elsewhere, so that's all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:38:45 PM by duckman2000 »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
From the person who leaked the spoilers:

This game was very entertaining from a gameplay perspective...

Again, the story in Call of Duty 4 was stupid. Plausible? Really? It sounds less bombastic than Modern Warfare 2, but who cares if it's fun to play. Riding snowmobiles, driving cars, blowing up shit sounds fun.
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2009, 12:44:53 PM »
are you going to let robert bowling come on your tits, or on your tongue
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
Uh huh, that's nice. That doesn't make the story any less ridiculous. Again, IW has pushed hard for the cinematic format, so "failures" there will affect the game overall.

Riding snowmobiles, driving cars, blowing up shit sounds fun.

Sure does. The story, on the other hand, sounds almost intolerably stupid.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2009, 12:46:47 PM »

... it's a video game.

Versus World War II? :lol

there are many areas of WWII that have remained unexplored in WWII fps games
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Uh huh, that's nice. That doesn't make the story any less ridiculous.

Again, who cares? You are playing a video game, not a movie. If I wanted to watch a deft military thriller, I go watch The Hurt Locker. I'm here to blow shit up and I gather everyone else is, as well.

Quote from: Eel O'Brien
are you going to let robert bowling come on your tits, or on your tongue

I don't know who that guy is. Story writer?
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
their PR guy
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
Watching the E3 demo made me wonder if they had basically reworked a planned IW-brand interpretation of the Rjukan heavy water sabotage campaign. I didn't mind the move to modern warfare one bit, but the mind-boggling amount of new devices, weapons and support pieces in the MP has put a big question mark on the whole thing. Some dude tried to call in a Pave Low, but he couldn't because his team currently had a Cobra in the air.

Again, who cares? You are playing a video game, not a movie. If I wanted to watch a deft military thriller, I go watch The Hurt Locker. I'm here to blow shit up and I gather everyone else is, as well.

I'm playing a highly scripted video game with a very strong cinematic hook. In such a scenario, story affects everything. I'll for sure enjoy the acts of blowing stuff up, but the story, one of the main components of their design and the component that ties the action bits together, seems ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:53:55 PM by duckman2000 »

Jansen

« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2009, 12:50:48 PM »
poor robert catches so much shit even tho he's just a glorified community manager :lol
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:52:20 PM by Jansen »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Quote from: Eel O'Brian
there are many areas of WWII that have remained unexplored in WWII fps games

... such as? No offense, I dig World War II shooters as much as the next guy, but it's not like there's a lot of unexplored territory. I know you have a preference to that time setting, but I enjoy the modern stuff more since they allow for more entertaining set pieces - such as driving cars into planes!
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2009, 12:52:27 PM »
Watching the E3 demo made me wonder if they had basically reworked a planned IW-brand interpretation of the Rjukan heavy water sabotage campaign. I didn't mind the move to modern warfare one bit, but the mind-boggling amount of new devices, weapons and support pieces in the MP has put a big question mark on the whole thing. Some dude tried to call in a Pave Low, but he couldn't because his team currently had a Cobra in the air.

I tried to call in an airstrike but I couldn't because there is a helicopter in the air. CoD4 am failure. :'(
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #207 on: November 02, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
World War 2 guns suck, but as Eel said there are millions of untold stories left in that conflict.

Where? I play shooters to shoot shit, not to play the video game equivalent of Showa or HBO's The Pacific.

I'd be down for an '80s shooter, though.
PSP

Jansen

« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2009, 12:54:40 PM »
going modern was the best decision ever for the cod series

:piss ww2 :piss2

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2009, 12:55:36 PM »
off the top of my head - china, poland, the philippine invasion, dunkirk, burma
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »
I tried to call in an airstrike but I couldn't because there is a helicopter in the air. CoD4 am failure. :'(

Add one more type of air strike and two additional air support options, and you may never get to launch that fourth air strike option.  :'(

duckman2000

« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2009, 12:59:11 PM »
It's a shame that the "genre" (historical period) was branded a leper before it had a chance to show off some of the cooler stuff, like the sabotage and liberation missions across the world.

Although, hell, at this rate IW might as well go ahead and realize that robot Hitler game concept they were scoffing at back in the day.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:01:17 PM by duckman2000 »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »
And Will the biggest conflict in the history of mankind really has more stories then always the same "D-day, Market Garden, Berlin, Stalingrad, Pearl Harbor" stuff.

Again, you're playing a shooter. All these "different stories" play the same. The variation is really European and Pacific, both theaters have had their fair share of games dedicated to them.

Next, please.

I'd also like to see an all out wargame, not just infantry shit. I want missions where I fly, naval battles, tank battles (KURSK!) etc.

Buy Battlefield.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »

Add one more type of air strike and two additional air support options, and you may never get to launch that fourth air strike option.  :'(

Yay, no air support!
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #214 on: November 02, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »
And Will the biggest conflict in the history of mankind really has more stories then always the same "D-day, Market Garden, Berlin, Stalingrad, Pearl Harbor" stuff.

Again, you're playing a shooter. All these "different stories" play the same. The variation is really European and Pacific, both theaters have had their fair share of games dedicated to them.

yeah, i hear there's two nuke scenes in this modern warfare

so "different!"
sup

Jansen

« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
MEGA SPOILERS

spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3216749&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post367857285
This game was very entertaining from a gameplay perspective, but god drat the plot was some distinguished mentally-challenged mushmouthed poo poo. Like, we're talking some Turtledove alternate history rear end poo poo here. When the better part of the plot of your game is essentially a modern day red dawn with ridiculous production values, you aren't doing yourself any favors by writing it utterly humorless and dead serious, let alone trying to tie in some "deep" themes expecting that your intern's ruminations on the nature of historical perspective will be taken seriously.

Although it was of course impossible to suspend disbelief for any of the washington levels, I'm really more taking issue with plotholes and general nonsense on a more basic level- ie, character motivations, cause and effect. Now I'm not gonna lie, I certainly rushed through and didn't listen closely to every oorah-laden piece of gibberish, but I was paying a nominal amount of attention and there was so much poo poo that just made no sense in retrospect- this is by no means exhaustive:

Why were the americans going to nuke washington (I mean during the EMP blackout, after it has already been kind of nuked- not that I am exactly sure why price did that either- how exactly is he putting out the fire of the war between russia and america by framing russia for firing a nuke at america)?

Why did Makarov hate Captain Price? Why did they conclude that rescuing the man Makarov hated would make Makarov do anything, and then after they rescued him never bring it up again? Was Makarov even at the airplane graveyard? If so, why did they let Makarov go, again?

What was the general's plan even supposed to be after he betrays the Brits? How is he going to play the greatest trick in the history of history on history or whatever?

Who were the VIPs you carry around Burger King and find dead in that one house at the end of the last suburb level?
[close]

:rofl :rofl :rofl

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »
All it's missing is a scene where you can hang glide and shoot.

Quote from: Eel
yeah, i hear there's two nuke scenes in this modern warfare

Hey, I'm not doubting the story will be stupid - I am almost positive it will be - but modern settings allow for bigger set pieces which translate to more entertaining gameplay. Especially if they continue to fabricate totally make believe stories, we could be do stuff like shooting bad guys from inside a hummer falling out of a cargo plane!
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »
One thing that's bothering me is that pretty much every mission plays the same.  There doesn't seem to be any SAS type stealth missions or anything.  I don't know, I heard the ai is supposedly better but it still looks stupid.

Cod Afghanistan from the Russian 80's perspective wouldnt be bad.
no because then the player either be playing as the goat farmers or as the guys who get their asses kicked by the goat farmers.

cool breeze

« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
I wouldn't mind someone trying to make a good Vietnam game.  Or just a fake conflict with, uh, Canada that took place in the 1980s.  They could bring back the system from Battlefield Vietnam where you could play songs from the era as you drive around, except now it will be new wave.  Blasting Heart of Glass during the battle of Niagara Falls :rock

pilonv1

« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
so they want to make it "more accessable" by taking away dedicated servers, yet put in stuff that are basically exploits?

smh
itm

E-DuB

« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18320754

lol if true

Guess I'll be playing 1943 this holiday season until BF:BC2 hits.

Hell I'll go back to COD 4 if this is the case!

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
Woot
PSP

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2009, 03:37:19 PM »

lol if true

Yeah, sure you guys will.   ::)

YOU'RE GONNA PLAY YOUR MODERN WARFARE 2 AND LIKE IT.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2009, 03:44:09 PM »

lol if true

Yeah, sure you guys will.   ::)

I won't. Too busy playing GOTY 2009 right now.

It's Dragon Age.
[close]

Or Borderlands.
[close]
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »
Sorry.  You're reading this thread.  There's interest.  You too are IW's bitch.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2009, 04:02:32 PM »
Sorry.  You're reading this thread.  There's interest.  You too are IW's bitch.

Morbid curiosity more than actual interest in purchasing and playing their latest offering.
dog

E-DuB

« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »

lol if true

Yeah, sure you guys will.   ::)

Oh God you're right. I'm a filthy junkie and I needs my fix  :'(

cool breeze

« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »
I'm just now reading up on the stuff from the past few days.  This game sounds like it's so focused on appealing to the stereotypical 360 owner (angry, homophobic, drunk frat guy who happens to be 9) it's kinda amazing.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »
I'll admit I'm going to rent it, if only to see how monumentally fucktarded the SP plotline actually is, but I have zero interest in the multiplayer portion.  It's Halo without the festive colors or grasshopper jumping.
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2009, 08:19:36 PM »
Which is good cause Halo sucks
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2009, 08:21:18 PM »
I'm not a fan of the Halo MP either, so swing and a miss there
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »
I've ditched just about all other MP games for COD4 since it came out, and I doubt it will be different with this one, given how much has changed. I'm buying it for SpecOps, and maybe I can appreciate the SP if I can stop viewing it as a military thriller, and instead consider it Modern Warfare The Comic: The Game.

It's Halo without the festive colors or grasshopper jumping.

Judging by a couple of the videos, there is plenty of bunnyhopping involved here. I wonder if it's tied to one of the speed and agility perks.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »
You're not a fan of FUN
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2009, 08:27:25 PM »
Untrue, I enjoyed BF1943, L4D, and Borderlands

I used to love COD multiplayer, it just isn't fun any more (even COD5 didn't hold my interest for very long, except for the Nazi Zombies mode)

it's an "everything but the kitchen sink" game for loudmouthed kegstanders and obnoxious kids now, just listen to the people talking in all those leaked COD6 MP videos
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2009, 09:35:30 PM »
Q
Is there a console in the PC version of the game, so we can change our field of view from the xbox's default 65 FOV to 80 also can we tweaks the weapon damage for each gun, removes perks, graphical debris, breathing sway, also thru console like we where able to before or is this all gone?

A
We would like you to play the game the way we designed and balanced it. - Vince-IW

Lulz

Also, they did in fact take out leaning. lulz
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:43:10 PM by duckman2000 »

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2009, 09:50:15 PM »
Q
Is there a console in the PC version of the game, so we can change our field of view from the xbox's default 65 FOV to 80 also can we tweaks the weapon damage for each gun, removes perks, graphical debris, breathing sway, also thru console like we where able to before or is this all gone?

A
We would like you to play the game the way we designed and balanced it. - Vince-IW

Lulz

Also, they did in fact take out leaning. lulz

wow, cold blooded.  i thought IW was mainly a PC dev before. 

duckman2000

Re: COD6 MW2 thread of footage, kitchen sink MP, killstreak crates and no leaning
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2009, 09:53:07 PM »
And this in regards to the sequel to a game that they designed and developed with the help of the PC gaming and modding community. Weren't some of the most popular match types directly lifted from mods? I understand that it's business and so forth, but this is just overflowing with the bullshit.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: COD6 MW2 thread of footage, kitchen sink MP, killstreak crates and no leanin
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »
PC gaming :lol
PSP