Author Topic: COD6 MW2 thread of inferior Clancy SP, sweet SpecOps and energy swords MP  (Read 136643 times)

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: New COD6:MW2 trailer of really awesome, now with SpecOps footage
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2009, 07:37:03 PM »
kinda off topic but someone linked me to this site a few days back that breaks down the cod4 science, its a nerdy/interesting read

http://denkirson.xanga.com/632800688/item/
萌え~

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 07:49:32 PM »
Lulz @ the riot shield protecting against shotgun blast, though.

duckman2000

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 04:44:21 PM »
Does anyone know how the Pave Low differs from the regular attack chopper?

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
萌え~

drew

• sy
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2009, 04:49:33 PM »
horde mode is the new co op

duckman2000

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »
Holy shit, so it's even more brutal? I guess that will be reason enough to stop people from getting 9 kills.

horde mode is the new co op

Horde is the new Invasion.

And lulz at IW copying Worms.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:51:56 PM by duckman2000 »

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
Re: New COD6:MW2 trailer of really awesome
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »
Nice link, Altogheter.

That Keighley dude seems cool.
smh. I can't tell if you're being serious or not  :wtf
jon

E-DuB

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/74?ch=1&sd=1_hd

Keighley won't shut up, but there is some cool footage in there. SpecOps mode looks insane, like a high intensity GRAW firefight.

:hyper Further confirmation that this game will own my soul for a good long time :hyper

duckman2000

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:02:46 PM by duckman2000 »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
Finally got around to putting down my pre-order today. Very excited. Only 19 more days left.  :spin

duckman2000

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2009, 07:09:43 PM »
From Kafka's thread, new multi map

[youtube=560,345]B_EvrZlX3I0[/youtube]

This is cool for about 10 seconds, then it becomes another one of those incredibly lame Gamestop ads.  :gloomy

drew

• sy
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2009, 11:43:37 PM »
i think i am one of the only people in the world that likes call of duty single player more than multiplayer

duckman2000

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2009, 11:49:46 PM »
I rip on it plenty, but that's only because I love some aspects of it so much that the issues become down right maddening. I think it's expertly paced, for one. The story was gripping. No, it's nothing earth shattering or emotional, but it's beautifully presented and engaging as hell. Whatever environments they put in the game always feel "right," though that one is hard to explain. But then there are some legacy issues that really get on my nerves, and they seem to still be there in MW2.

For example, why are enemies so limited? I don't need, or even want, KZ2 smarts and combat abilities, but small things like every enemy reacting the same way when you get too close really shatters whatever illusion of plausibility the game may have built up. Would it really be that hard to make one or two enemies per level not suicide rush you with a weapon above his head, and instead perhaps kick you, back away and draw a handgun for defense? Maybe it really is that complicated, but it would be nice to see them move ahead in other ways than just the quality of scripted encounters.

Anyway, I'm probably more interested in the SpecOps mode than either the multi or SP. I loved the co-op modes in GRAW, and some of these missions look like GRAW missions on tasty narcotics.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:54:19 PM by duckman2000 »

duckman2000

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »
SpecOps video from GT. Nothing new I think, but it has some footage without the annoyance of the whole GTTV show format.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/spec-ops-modern-warfare/57710

Lulz at the dude talking about enemies not doing predictable things, and the video showing exactly that.

duckman2000

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »
[youtube=560,345]awu4NeTCPSc[/youtube]

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: New COD6:MW2 trailer, SpecOps footage and third person view
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2009, 03:01:35 PM »
to be honest, i actually have a couple of friends who would be more apt to buy it if it had a third-person mode
sup

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »
I consider COD games to be total crap,but i will play this one...for this
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Spoilers...massive spoilers inside
cat

cool breeze

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »
the third person view seems surprisingly decent.  Remind me of Ghost Recon for the original Xbox.

duckman2000

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »
Eh, really? The body doesn't turn naturally at all.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
meh. I'll avoid all this info until release day.

duckman2000

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »

Didn't watch it either but people on other forums say it was "disgusting" and "shocking".

Not to a Polack, I'd imagine. You guys already assume that this is how pretty much all Russians work, yeah?

This shit makes it even more bizarre that they are marketing this with the help of kiddie toys.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2009, 12:15:35 PM »

Didn't watch it either but people on other forums say it was "disgusting" and "shocking".

Cool. I like the sound of that.

I don't mind any info on the mp or spec ops but I'll try to avoid any sp info for the most part.

cool breeze

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
I accidentally read was that video contains and it sounds kinda interesting

Eh, really? The body doesn't turn naturally at all.

yeah, but have you played other primarily FPS games that included a third person option?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »
There is probably a backup video somewhere...it just shows what happens in reality...no internet,no cameras to protect someone...high velocity metal and flesh only

cat

cool breeze

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
ok, actually saw the video.

I stick with "interesting" as my reaction.  It's the kind of stuff you don't expect to see in a video game.  It's kinda more crazy since it's Call of Duty and
spoiler (click to show/hide)
it's such a sterile emotionless game that you probably won't feel anything while playing through that sequence.  It's almost like the airplane shooting sequence in CoD4 where you were essentially killing more enemies in that brief section effortlessly than in the rest of the game.  It's weird that it feels so empty during the act but afterward you realize how fucked up it is.
[close]

archie4208

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
The SP footage looks insane.  I will have to rent this.

archie4208

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2009, 04:41:26 PM »
This game is going to get a TON of scrutiny when it comes out.  Cable news and politicians are going to have a field day with it.

duckman2000

« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
I don't think they took that far enough. If you're going to do it, you may as well go all the way.

duckman2000

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2009, 12:47:07 PM »
The GAF reaction to that bit is disgusting. A bunch of people whining about it being a "low attention-grab" done purely for the shock value, a bunch of other clowns shocked by it, and the odd three or four dudes who get it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2009, 01:11:54 PM »
Well, that was...something. Still not sure how I feel about it really.

I definitely understand what they're doing with it though. Basically, it's setting up a situation where the gamer has to step back and think about what they're really doing. And then the gamer realizes that it's not any different from what they were doing in every other level in the entire game. It's polygons and textures. You press a button and you see an image of death. You've got unarmed civilians in this scenario, but you're killing them just as easily as you plowed through dozens upon dozens or armed terrorists in all the other levels. At the end of it, they're still just polygons. And all you're doing is progressing from one part of the level to the next.
[close]

Still, that video was pretty surreal.
dog

archie4208

« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2009, 06:27:37 PM »
Apparently that scene can be skipped and a warning actually comes up to give detail about the graphic nature. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »
Modern Warfare 2 :bow
fat

Beezy

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2009, 07:01:51 PM »
certified GOTY

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2009, 07:06:15 PM »
whatever scene that is can't be more disgusting than their respawn garbage system.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
whatever scene that is can't be more disgusting than their respawn garbage system.

AI grenade-spamming is the real tragedy here.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2009, 07:14:30 PM »
I can still hear them rolling in my ears.

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
The GAF reaction to that bit is disgusting. A bunch of people whining about it being a "low attention-grab" done purely for the shock value, a bunch of other clowns shocked by it, and the odd three or four dudes who get it.

You're making an assumption that there's something to GET. I'm not sure there is.
wha

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »
I don't get why people want to read so much into this.  They decided to make a level where you play as the bad guy and they made sure that you're unambiguously "bad".  It ended up becoming a gimmick level where you basically just shoot people running away from you.

duckman2000

« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2009, 11:56:21 PM »

You're making an assumption that there's something to GET. I'm not sure there is.

Well, that's what I'm getting at. I'm sure they wanted it to be shocking, but the motivation for that is almost certainly not to give the game more attention. I see it as a clever way (true to the nature of COD, as well) to show the methods of the game's antagonist and give the player motivation for his own actions in the game, and their solution is damned ballsy given how games, even bloody serious military ones, typically pussyfoot around shit.
[close]

And I think the reaction to it is sad as hell. It's one thing to be disgusted by it, but to argue that it shouldn't be in games at all in fear of it leading to stricter legislation is more disgusting than anything. And then the other group feels that it shouldn't be in games simply because games are games and should not be serious. These guys like to ponder about how mainstream media will react, when in reality all they have to do is look at themselves.

Thank god for these clowns that Heartland got canceled, there is no way they could have stomached what that game was doing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:10:42 AM by duckman2000 »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »
Who the fuck cares?
PSP

drew

• sy
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2009, 12:32:19 AM »
i see words but they make no sense :dur

go easy on those armchairs guys :smug

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2009, 12:46:27 AM »

Well, that's what I'm getting at. I'm sure they wanted it to be shocking, but the motivation for that is almost certainly not to give the game more attention. I see it as a clever way (true to the nature of COD, as well) to show the methods of the game's antagonist and give the player motivation for his own actions in the game, and their solution is damned ballsy given how games, even bloody serious military ones, typically pussyfoot around shit.
[close]

And I think the reaction to it is sad as hell. It's one thing to be disgusted by it, but to argue that it shouldn't be in games at all in fear of it leading to stricter legislation is more disgusting than anything. And then the other group feels that it shouldn't be in games simply because games are games and should not be serious. These guys like to ponder about how mainstream media will react, when in reality all they have to do is look at themselves.

Thank god for these clowns that Heartland got canceled, there is no way they could have stomached what that game was doing.

Medium is the message etc.

I remember my cousin going to his "favorite scenes" in American History X. My initial reaction to this was "Oh, that's a compelling choice". It certainly turns the paradigm of the HOOHAH AMERICAN MARINE SHOOTER on it's head. But I'm not sure I trust the audience and I don't trust the medium. Games require an active participant and they very certainly have win conditions that have to be met to advance. When that win condition is "Play Terrorist and gun down innocent people", that just strikes me as tasteless.

Yes, GTA4 has all manner of reprhensible behavior. But it also doesn't take itself too seriously AND the more reprehensible acts tend to be voluntary. They're not necessary conditions for advancement.
wha

drew

• sy
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2009, 01:00:15 AM »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2009, 01:07:15 AM »
well, it's only one scene

certainly outside the standard "we gotsta elevatorate the plot tensions for maximum XXXXXtreem impact" discussions, there had to have been the peripheral thought that this would generate some media controversy, and media controversy always = free publicity

i still maintain that an entire fps game based around the concept of questioning yourself over your shootemup actions (ala that david jaffe stillborn project) would never work (or sell) for one simple reason:  no one really wants to feel bad when they're playing a game
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2009, 02:40:53 AM »

[close]

Medium is the message etc.

I remember my cousin going to his "favorite scenes" in American History X. My initial reaction to this was "Oh, that's a compelling choice". It certainly turns the paradigm of the HOOHAH AMERICAN MARINE SHOOTER on it's head. But I'm not sure I trust the audience and I don't trust the medium. Games require an active participant and they very certainly have win conditions that have to be met to advance. When that win condition is "Play Terrorist and gun down innocent people", that just strikes me as tasteless.

Yes, GTA4 has all manner of reprhensible behavior. But it also doesn't take itself too seriously AND the more reprehensible acts tend to be voluntary. They're not necessary conditions for advancement.

Well, for one, I don't think you actually have to press the trigger. Also, you can skip the whole thing (which is a bit lame). And I don't particularly give a shit about trusting the audience. Short of someone re-enacting the whole thing in real life, the "worst" that can come of it is that people are apathetic or genuinely enjoy carrying out the mission. It's a decent step forward, and it's honestly less disturbing to me than a combination of flamethrowers and good animation. This is also a pretty big step for the genre in terms of establishing the enemy, and certainly a far step up from "space monkeys are threatening to kill us all, are you a bad enough marine to save the universe?" that people have written novels about.

Eel, from what I read of some internal stuff, Heartland wasn't really about questioning actions of war, but about pushing a more intimate, personal and emotional view of it. It looked to be on the "right" track, but who knows how it would have been executed. Once upon a time I also thought that Haze would do something similar, so yeah... execution is everything.

Jansen

« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2009, 03:02:06 AM »
unless you can skip the level i'm going to suggest to my parents to not buy my little brother this game for christmas

duckman2000

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2009, 03:06:20 AM »
You can skip it, but I doubt that's the only rough stuff in the game. There's at least one torture scene.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2009, 03:34:38 AM »
hopefully it gets banned here like L4D
itm

archie4208

« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
360 version got leaked. :teehee

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »
I will pwn all of you on PC.  The rest are homo gay.  :maf
:)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

duckman2000

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
Which means my jackass brother will have it before me. Oh well, he needs the headstart.

Also, intro

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/modern-warfare-2-introduction/333666

Stoney Mason

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2009, 06:53:33 PM »
Afghan Map Walkthrough. Strictly multiplayer as I'm personally trying to avoid any of the sp info before I play.

10 days left and I'm in heaven.  :teehee

http://www.modernwarfare247.com/news/afghan-multiplayer-walkthrough
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:42:55 AM by Stoney Mason »

duckman2000

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
Nice, proper handgun+knife style. Fuck nooooo at the Grenadier combo, though. Shotgun class should have serious drawbacks.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:06:32 PM by duckman2000 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2009, 07:06:15 PM »
That looks so good. I am gonna cum.
fat

duckman2000

« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2009, 07:34:36 PM »
SpecOps AC-130 mission  :omg

[youtube=560,345]3BeOdp7Ct9I[/youtube]

:bow Infinity Ward :bow2
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:36:44 PM by duckman2000 »

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »
amazing
萌え~

Beezy

« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »
 :hyper :hyper :hyper

cool breeze

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2009, 07:52:58 PM »
that looks awesome

co-op where one guy covers the other with a sniper rifle (or plane in this case) are so cool to me for some reason.

drew

• sy
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2009, 08:00:55 PM »
the way he holds the revolver is so awkward