Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2060254 times)

etiolate

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #14280 on: November 27, 2017, 04:25:54 PM »
Godless is good.
Been a while since I saw him in anything, but was Jeff Daniels always this good of an actor? Guy hit it twice the distance of out the park. :lawd

Yeah, he's always been good, but doesn't often play this sort of role.

Tasty

« Reply #14281 on: November 27, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
Punisher is barely a "superhero" show, lol.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14282 on: November 27, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »
Goddless is ticking all the right boxes for me. And fuck are some of those backlight shots effing gorgeous.
:9

Himu

« Reply #14283 on: November 27, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »
I'm home sick so I'm just marathoning shit and Godless is dope.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14284 on: November 27, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
Crazy Ex Girlfriend is p gud, mostly just cuz of dem big ol tittttttties

etiolate

« Reply #14285 on: November 27, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
The shot of the horses crossing the stream in Godless was a personal fav. .

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14286 on: November 27, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
I adore how many landscape shots they have, love that they shot in a place allowing them to do so! A big part of westerns to me is the landscape and shooting tight shots on a set all movie long makes for bleh

etiolate

« Reply #14287 on: November 27, 2017, 07:10:45 PM »
I adore how many landscape shots they have, love that they shot in a place allowing them to do so! A big part of westerns to me is the landscape and shooting tight shots on a set all movie long makes for bleh

They got a greener than usual area, but I think it paid off. It's set in a summer melt time frame. You got the beauty of wildflowers but also the danger of the snow melts.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14288 on: November 27, 2017, 09:33:55 PM »
Godless:  turned into a superhero show in the end.  Liked it a lot.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'd watch a whole series of Martha the German dominatrix and her western PI love slave on the run from her husband
[close]

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #14289 on: November 27, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
Cindi, please watch Riverdale for your next HimuHotTakeTM
WDW

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14290 on: November 27, 2017, 10:46:10 PM »
the good place is good

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14291 on: November 27, 2017, 11:18:48 PM »
My favorite western

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Himu

« Reply #14294 on: November 28, 2017, 03:16:59 AM »
I like stranger things 2 a lot so far. Better character writing and scriptwriting, easily. At least so far.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #14295 on: November 28, 2017, 03:17:45 AM »
Cindi, please watch Riverdale for your next HimuHotTakeTM

I've been meaning to watch that.

Why should I?
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14296 on: November 28, 2017, 08:31:59 AM »
Cuz White Man loves it and if you hate it it'll be really funny to see you guys bicker about it

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14297 on: November 28, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »
Cuz White Man loves it and if you hate it it'll be really funny to see you guys bicker about it

I’ve made peace with people not liking it. I do think Himu would like season 3 because it is pure Lynch, but the first two seasons are a barrier to her entry.

Have you seen FWWM, Cindi?
serge

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #14298 on: November 28, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »

I’ve made peace with people not liking it. I do think Himu would like season 3 because it is pure Lynch, but the first two seasons are a barrier to her entry.

Riverdale, White Man, not Twin Peaks.

Tho Riverdale is just modern millennial Twin Peaks.
nat

TVC15

« Reply #14299 on: November 28, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »

Got a little confused. I was talking TP with her yesterday.

Anyway, Himu, Riverdale is great, but if you don't like the CW formula or lab grown perfect looking teenagers, it's probably not your thing. It takes from TP the whole "small town has a dark underbelly," but it lacks any of the wackiness or excessive quirkiness of TP, so you might find it easier to accept.
serge

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #14300 on: November 28, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »
Totally, but Riverdale still has plenty of wackiness, just not as much on the absurdist scale.

S2 spoiler:
Archie standing in front of a bunch of topless boys in red masks is kinda TP levels of wacky.
[close]
nat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14301 on: November 28, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
Godless, man. What show goes multi minutes long, without dialog showing the process of a horse being tamed? And it actually being riveting.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14302 on: November 28, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »
What show goes multi minutes long, without dialog showing the process of a horse being tamed? And it actually being riveting.

Mr. Hands: The TV Show?
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14303 on: November 28, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »
What show goes multi minutes long, without dialog showing the process of a horse being tamed? And it actually being riveting.

I actually made a conscious decision to use tamed instead of breaking in because of this  :-[  :lol

TVC15

« Reply #14304 on: November 28, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »

I actually made a conscious decision to use tamed instead of breaking in because of this  :-[  :lol

Mr. Hands doesn't get broken in. He breaks in.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #14305 on: November 28, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »
Crisis on Earth-X > The Defenders, so far.

Himu

« Reply #14306 on: November 28, 2017, 03:07:20 PM »

FWWM?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #14307 on: November 28, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »

Anyway, Himu, Riverdale is great, but if you don't like the CW formula or lab grown perfect looking teenagers, it's probably not your thing. It takes from TP the whole "small town has a dark underbelly," but it lacks any of the wackiness or excessive quirkiness of TP, so you might find it easier to accept.

I love the CW formula when it works and it isn't full awfulness (see: felicity x oliver shit). Love Jane The Virgin, Flash, early Arrow.
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #14308 on: November 28, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »

FWWM?

Fire Walk with Me.

I love the CW formula when it works and it isn't full awfulness (see: felicity x oliver shit). Love Jane The Virgin, Flash, early Arrow.

Give Riverdale a shot. It's a good guilty pleasure. What have you got to lose?
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14309 on: November 28, 2017, 11:42:57 PM »
Nazis tho, I like it but I'm tired of Nazis. Would have been cool if it was more Red Son. (Only watched the first two)

http://www.slashfilm.com/nightflyers-series/

Keeping this on my radar
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:31:37 PM by Momo »

Himu

« Reply #14310 on: November 29, 2017, 04:07:18 AM »
Stranger Things 2 is way better than 1. The characters aren't shit anymore. You can tell they hired an actual screen writer who knows how write and plot. The mystery is more interesting. Much less how tf they can do anything about it. No one is endlessly screaming IN EVERY SCENE. It's become more than a bunch of movie tropes and has come into its own. 1 is a 6/10, and 2 so far is an 8/10.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #14311 on: November 29, 2017, 04:08:21 AM »
oh dear

TVC15

« Reply #14312 on: November 29, 2017, 04:10:39 AM »
Stranger Things 2 is way better than 1. The characters aren't shit anymore. You can tell they hired an actual screen writer who knows how write and plot. The mystery is more interesting. Much less how tf they can do anything about it. No one is endlessly screaming IN EVERY SCENE. It's become more than a bunch of movie tropes and has come into its own. 1 is a 6/10, and 2 so far is an 8/10.

Oh Cindi. I thought season 2 was much worse. Season 1 at least had a compelling central mystery. Season 2 is just meandering garbage. I’ll agree that there are improvements, notably in some character writing, but it appears to have been harmed by rushing to production to meet a release date. It is half baked.
serge

Himu

« Reply #14313 on: November 29, 2017, 04:14:26 AM »
If it's not obvious, I place a big emphasis on character writing. If a show/film has shoddy character writing, I think it's trash. You can see the pattern with anything I don't like and how they treat the characters like Rogue One which is dog feces. I can't deal with shoddy character writing. It makes me HATE what I'm watching for some reason. So even if the mystery might not be enough for some people, improved character writing is enough for me. And at least this doesn't have Winona Ryder talking to a giant pile of Christmas lights.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #14314 on: November 29, 2017, 04:16:32 AM »
Also I have a bigger connection to arcade game as an arcade brat than D&D. :yeshrug
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #14315 on: November 29, 2017, 04:19:37 AM »
If it's not obvious, I place a big emphasis on character writing. If a show/film has shoddy character writing, I think it's trash. You can see the pattern with anything I don't like and how they treat the characters like Rogue One. I can't deal with shoddy character writing. It makes me HATE what I'm watching for some reason. So even if the mystery might not be enough for some people, improved character writing is enough for me. And at least this doesn't have Winona Ryder talking to a giant pile of Christmas lights.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one, Cindi. I see it as underwritten tosh. To me, it was clearly rushed to meet a release date planned ahead of time. It needed more time to cook. They really made an error by bringing Eleven back so soon and relegating her the role she has. They should have just left her out of the picture until her return.
serge

Himu

« Reply #14316 on: November 29, 2017, 04:24:21 AM »
It's definitely flawed. But s1 is also flawed as fuck. So it's not like the series has a good track record.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14317 on: November 29, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »

it's so insane and lovely and heartfelt

i love how they almost spent the entire first ep on love and healing lmao

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14318 on: November 29, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »
Watched the entire earth x thing, and yeah didnt hate it but didnt especially like it over other CW DC stuff.

Himu

« Reply #14319 on: November 29, 2017, 02:32:28 PM »
Stranger Things 2 ended on a high note. I liked the show by the end and I think that for all of its flaws the second season was more enjoyable for me than the first. I'm looking forward to season 3. I don't love the show but I'm at a point now where I'm attached to the journey, the characters, and resolution. I worry how long they can keep dragging this out though, and I hope 3 is the final season. I don't see how much they can keep going.

Riverdale owns. As an Archie fan I've been wanting to watch it and the show has lived up to every description I could have hoped for. Definitely my type of show.

I'll be giving Twin Peaks another shot after Riverdale. I love Lynch so the quirky corniness of TP never sat well with me. But this time I'll power through it despite the cheese ball and cross my fingers and toes it eventually has the Lynchian darkness I crave. Gotta admit that my man Lynch being away from film for so long and coming for more fucking Twin cheeseball Peaks still burns. I might have to go through TP drunk this time in order to stomach the rancid dialogue.
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #14320 on: November 29, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
They’re doing at least 4 seasons of Stranger Things and I think they maybe teased a fifth.
serge

Himu

« Reply #14321 on: November 29, 2017, 06:34:46 PM »
Y tho
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #14322 on: November 29, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
Not a fan of the narration on Riverdale but everything else 👌🏾
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14323 on: November 29, 2017, 07:36:38 PM »
leave jughead alone

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14324 on: November 29, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »
Godless ep.6 spoilers

the scene where Roy storms out into the distance on horseback from the barn after being with Alice. The tracking, framing, and context. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck. Badass.
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #14325 on: November 29, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »

But that's my Juggy, you bitch.
serge

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14326 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »
Someone on Reddit posted some gifs from Netflix' upcoming cyberpunk show Altered Carbon (scheduled for early 2018):

https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-could-be-the-first-look-at-altered-carbon-the-mos-1820766217

Netflix hasn't confirmed their authenticity, but if they're legit then it's gonna be the closest we'll get to a Blade Runner tv show.

:whew

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14327 on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »
Apart from the Blade Runner tv show that aired some time ago ? It was cheap though I remember the stories were ok. It's probably 15 years old so don't quote me on that, might be crap top to bottom. I seem to recall it was a Canadian production like Nikita but I may be wrong on that count too.

Edit : I googled it and it is Total Recall 2070. Despite the name it was clearly more evocative of the Blade Runner movie (protagonist is a detective) and picking liberally in K.Dick works.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:06:34 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

TVC15

« Reply #14328 on: November 30, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
Apart from the Blade Runner tv show that aired some time ago ? It was cheap though I remember the stories were ok. It's probably 15 years old so don't quote me on that, might be crap top to bottom. I seem to recall it was a Canadian production like Nikita but I may be wrong on that count too.

Bitch, you're thinking of the Total Recall TV show. There hasn't been a Blade Runner show.

Anyway, Bryan Fuller and Michael Green leaving American Gods :(
serge

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #14329 on: November 30, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »

I'm getting really tired of this.

You have Ted Danson.
You have Bro Birds.
You laid claim on Bautista.
You wanted Charles Manson to fuck you but then he died.

Now you claim exclusivity over Jughead?

Where does it stop?
rub

Himu

« Reply #14330 on: November 30, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
The narration does get better
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #14331 on: November 30, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »

I'm getting really tired of this.

You have Ted Danson.
You have Bro Birds.
You laid claim on Bautista.
You wanted Charles Manson to fuck you but then he died.

Now you claim exclusivity over Jughead?

Where does it stop?

Juggz is my fill-in due to the extended The Good Place hiatus, which ends in January. I'm not aggressively pursuing Juggy, but I won't see him slandered, either.

Also, you forgot that I've also claimed Samoa Joe--I'd take him over Bautista if I had to pick one.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14332 on: November 30, 2017, 11:29:25 AM »
There's a 75% of Samoa Joe pounding TVC's butthole. If you combine that with Jughead's 66 2/3% chance then there is a 141 2/3% of TVC's butthole getting pounded. The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for TVC's butthole.
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #14333 on: November 30, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »
There's a 75% of Samoa Joe pounding TVC's butthole. If you combine that with Jughead's 66 2/3% chance then there is a 141 2/3% of TVC's butthole getting pounded. The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for TVC's butthole.

I mean, if I had a time machine, I'd go for a circa 1998 Scott Steiner over any of these chubs.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14334 on: November 30, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »

Bitch, you're thinking of the Total Recall TV show. There hasn't been a Blade Runner show.

Anyway, Bryan Fuller and Michael Green leaving American Gods :(

friend of mine joked that bryan fuller is a super talented 48 year old hollywood show writer with the job security of a 28 year old office worker

Tasty

« Reply #14335 on: November 30, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
Bryan Fuller is basically the live-action drama version of Greg Weisman.

« Reply #14336 on: November 30, 2017, 05:30:28 PM »
Psyched for SHIELD to start again! Not psyched it received the Friday Night Kiss of Death, cause I'll be DVRing and watching it later.
野球

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14337 on: November 30, 2017, 06:34:58 PM »
American Gods (so far) took a great book and turned it into shit tv so yeah

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #14338 on: November 30, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
Psyched for SHIELD to start again! Not psyched it received the Friday Night Kiss of Death, cause I'll be DVRing and watching it later.

SHIELD is my jam! I'm so behind in my Marvelverse watching though, I still need to see Thor Ragnarok, The Punisher, and the Runaways.
WDW

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #14339 on: December 01, 2017, 12:21:27 AM »
If anyone here is a Mr. Robot fan... I just got trolled so hard by Sam Esmail.
每天生气