Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2065134 times)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19980 on: November 02, 2023, 08:37:35 AM »
Just watched Bargain after not knowing anything about it beforehand. Holy shit what a show. Took me an embarassing amount of time to realise the entire show was a single tracking shot (with splices). The low quality CGI for the environment in certain scenes occasionally crappy, but aside from that it might be my favourite new show of 2023 (or 2022 if you live in Korea). Not sure how you'd watch this since it's on Paramount+ (and fuck that) but if you do, avoid reading too much because it makes the first episode waaay funnier.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19981 on: November 02, 2023, 06:09:09 PM »
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19982 on: November 11, 2023, 12:49:21 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #19983 on: November 11, 2023, 11:58:05 PM »
Finished Castlevania Nocturne. Was decent. Not good enough to care about outside of the action sequences, not bad enough to drop. Hope S2 is a bit better while keeping the nice action animation.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19984 on: November 16, 2023, 12:53:57 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #19985 on: November 25, 2023, 04:01:53 AM »
The Fall of the House of Usher - Pretty good, but I still prefer Hill House. Was entertaining throughout but all the kid stories just felt like filler since they were just caricatures in pulp horror tales.

For Flanagan TV, I think Hill House is fantastic, Midnight Mass was mostly good but shat the end, and Usher is entertaining but shallow mostly and maybe a bit long.

Still need to see the "weak" ones that most people said skip with Bly Manor and The Midnight Club. If you include his film catalog I still think Hill House is his best work. Dr. Sleep was pretty good considering the source material is totally middling and he made a better film than the source. Rest are all pretty good/solid mostly. 

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19986 on: November 25, 2023, 10:08:31 AM »
As someone who saw the entirety of Fall of the House of Usher, Midnight Mass and Midnight Club, I can guarantee you that Midnight Club is good. Although I thought Usher sucked and that Mass was only okay, so grain of salt.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19987 on: November 26, 2023, 11:13:19 AM »
Yeah, I enjoyed Midnight Club, but I also liked Doctor Sleep a lot, so.... :trumps

The Midnight Club is really good; really solid premise executed very well, and not at all as YA as I was worried it might be - all the characters are believable and rounded.

Season 1 ends on a kinda sorta cliffhanger, and I'd love to see a Season 2, but even if that never happens its a really solid little stand alone anthology series with an interesting framing narrative, and the nice conceit of the storytellers also being the actors in the individual stories.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19988 on: November 26, 2023, 12:34:25 PM »
Yeah, I enjoyed Midnight Club, but I also liked Doctor Sleep a lot, so.... :trumps

You liked Doctor Sleep?? What a fucking loser.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like Doctor Sleep way more than The Shining
[close]

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19989 on: November 26, 2023, 12:54:32 PM »
my only problem with dr sleep. is that they should have had the director make his own version of the shining first instead of trying to make it a sequel to kubrick's version of the shining. I like what the director did, but it felt like he had to keep drawing back from something that didn't quite fit to what he was doing.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19990 on: November 26, 2023, 01:15:22 PM »
My only problem with Doctor Sleep is that out of all the Stephen King books, Rebecca Ferguson had to star in the only one with no sex in it.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19991 on: November 26, 2023, 09:09:42 PM »
hottest woman in a top hat

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19992 on: December 16, 2023, 05:00:01 PM »
Yu Yu Hakusho Live Action Netflix, went in with no expectations and it was entertaining for what it was...one thing that surprised me is that it's pretty gory which is kind of confusing when they usually censor the shit of the violence.

spoiler-ton
Yusuke gets hit by truck-kun in this version and bounced around under the truck it was pretty gnarly, as opposed to getting hit with a regular car and rolling over the hood of the car and hitting the street.
[close]

I was annoyed by Kuwabara not having a pompadour and his chi or whatever is the wrong color, and Koenma isn't a babby wtf!
[close]

They skipped a whole lotta shit, I mean a lot of shit I mean they were only working with five episodes after all, this could be a good or a bad thing with dbz era filler nonsense with tournament arcs.
[close]

It was decent if you don't have nothing else to do on a boring Sunday afternoon give it a watch.

Bebpo

« Reply #19993 on: December 16, 2023, 07:18:48 PM »
Didn't even know that came out already :o

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19994 on: December 17, 2023, 04:52:28 AM »
LTTP, I’m up to s7 in Homeland.

The largely domestic, Madame President-Elect focused s6 was amazing. I felt on the edge of my seat every episode, and increasingly so toward the climax.

S7 is just starting off, but it looks like Lady POTUS rolled a critfail and lost substantial SAN during the hotel exfil. I’ve heard s7 isn’t as great as 6 or 8, but I’ll be staying for the full ride. Pretty much anything is going to be better than s3 and 5 were.

I’m so impressed with Clare Danes’ portrayal of a complex and troubled character. It helps that the writers are good about keeping her decisions in line with her personality and difficulties.

Also finished Secret Invasion. This was hot garbage, despite the present of excellent actors like Colman and Mendelsohn. Several effects-heavy scenes with zero meaning or purpose. Execrable dialog. A disagreeable villain whose own troops should have been able to take him out and course correct. A finale fight scene that belongs in Dragonball, not a grounded MCU. I watched Captain Marvel afterwards, it felt like Shakespeare

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19995 on: February 14, 2024, 07:26:10 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19996 on: February 15, 2024, 09:55:07 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19997 on: February 17, 2024, 07:15:16 AM »
I like that they used the old intro music from the 90s cartoon, but all the art and animations look generic. is it really so hard to use modern technology to recreate or surpass what was drawn by hand a few decades ago?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19998 on: February 23, 2024, 03:30:38 PM »
Watched the first three episodes of Constellation

And it's pretty good!

What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19999 on: February 25, 2024, 07:59:16 AM »
⅓ of the way into Mr and Mrs Smith series on Amazon. The pacing is wayyyyyyy to slow.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #20000 on: April 10, 2024, 05:25:11 PM »

Gonna peep it this week, looks good

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #20001 on: April 14, 2024, 06:47:17 PM »

Gonna peep it this week, looks good

Three eps in and yea this is great.