Author Topic: Mobile Gaming [Android/iOS] Thread  (Read 435063 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
McWild

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
What was the name of that zelda clone that i think hsmp was pimping one time?

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Zenonia?
itm

FatalT

If you like Tiny Wings, check out Pilot Winds too. It's just like it but with a few more features.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
What was the name of that zelda clone that i think hsmp was pimping one time?

Zenonia. The controls are :yuck.  That game desperately needs a proper gamepad. 

Zenonia 2 has been out for awhile and people say it's better but I haven't tried it.

And anyone try out Hot Springs Story?  It's by the same people that put out Game Developer Story.  It didn't grab me inititally like GDS did because I know fuck all about Japanese health spas but little by little that became a huge time sink.  It's a lot deeper than GDS but it's still pretty accessible.  If you like Game Developer Story you should give it a go.
Tacos

pilonv1

Deeper you say? Eurogamer said it wasn't as interesting due to the subject matter but it was still good. Might check it out.

Zenonia was one of my first app purchases, but I only played about 20 mins due to the controls.
itm

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Yeah there's a lot more parameters to fiddle around with in Hot Springs Story than there was in Game Developer Story.  From targeting guests to acquire unique investment opportunities which then unlocks either other guests or new additions, to focusing on different parts of your spa to try to earn a 1st place rank in the various magazines and travel guides, the game is constantly giving you something to do unlike GDS which was  basically done once you got the primo staff on board.

The theme may be boring as hell but the game is still gold.
Tacos

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Zenonia was one of my first app purchases, but I only played about 20 mins due to the controls.

I find most games with on-screen d-pads and buttons just don't work that well.  It's a shame since the iOS could be a really awesome gaming platform, but it's "gimped" by touch-only controls in so many genres.
ど助平

AdmiralViscen

Any good strategy Games? I bet those would work well

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Any good strategy Games? I bet those would work well

It's not really a strategy game but there's Game Dev Story if you haven't already played it.
Tacos

AdmiralViscen

That's not iPad optimized is it?

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
I don't think so but the 8/16 bit style would probably translate well even with the pixel doubling.  I haven't tried it myself though, I've just played the game on my iphone.
Tacos

AdmiralViscen

Anything like advance wars?

AdmiralViscen

Btw I wish myst was iPad also :(

AdmiralViscen

Firmware is too old, waiting for the latest one to be jailbrokenn before updating

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal

If there's a game that you want on the iphone/ipod/ipad then Gameloft has probably already produced a clone of it.  If it's Advance Wars then you're looking for Rogue Planet.  It's basically Advance Wars but not as good.  I didn't really care for it myself.

[youtube=560,345]9O9WqpaT8js[/youtube]

Personally, I'd recommend Battle for Wesnoth HD.  Already a great game and they made an ipad edition.

[youtube=560,345]ftETabwA06g[/youtube]
Tacos

AdmiralViscen

Rad, will try.

pilonv1

There's that Transformers game.
itm

cool breeze

sword and sworcery does look really great...and to think I stopped my parents from buying me an ipad for my birthday last year  :-\

FatalT

Sword and Sworcery just came out.  I need an iPad  :-\

Comes out next month for iPhone/iPod Touch. Crystal Defenders, Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy II, and Secret of Mana are all 50% off at $4 for the next week or so to celebrate the release of Final Fantasy III (which is $15 so fuck that for now).

Ooooooohhhh Chaos Rings is $5.99. I'm trying to buy it but it keeps saying it's being modified arrrrgggg!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:36:52 PM by FatalT »

FatalT

I finally got Chaos Rings to go through and it's actually pretty awesome. iOS gaming <3

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
FFIII is alright but I'm holding out for FFIV even though I've bought that game 3 times already.  It'd love to have the DS version of FFIV on my phone.
Tacos

Sho Nuff

FF3 is out today, only $15.99

pilonv1

Bargain I guess
itm

pilonv1

via jonnny - Game Dev Story updated with achievements and leaderboards :hyper
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
GameCenter or OpenFeint?

pilonv1

I played it for another 30mins or so last week, got a few cheeves and hit the wall of boredom again :-\
itm

Sho Nuff

NBA Jam and Dead Space are a fucking dollar on the App Store today. Buy em!

Also, Road Blaster is a buck

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Mighty impressive  :o Skip to ~1.40
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:43:50 AM by quietID »
◕‿◕

Corporal

:o
GT5 doomed.
:bow2
!list

Sho Nuff

Holy shit

pilonv1

jesus christ
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
The driving looks garbage though. iPad driving controls are :yuck

I mean, they're fun for a 5 year old to fuck around with before going in circles for half an hour before stalling out 6 feet from the start line, but come on. Look at how miserable the dev (? watched without sound...)  is, on the 2nd iteration of this game.
vjj

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Yeah, game looks rubbish like Forza Kinect, though I think I'd rather hold an oblong thing and turn that rather than an Air wheel™. As a tech demo though this is hot, and there's a bunch of genres that transfer well to touch screens, ie RTS, RPG that could use some of this hotness
◕‿◕

Sho Nuff

Hey buttholios

Sumo Digital ported Sonic All Star Racing to the iPhone for $2 and it good

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Hey buttholios

Sumo Digital ported Sonic All Star Racing to the iPhone for $2 and it good

:o
ど助平

pilonv1

I'm so there
itm

FatalT

I'll pick it up eventually but I've been playing the piss out of some Tiny Tower.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I'll pick it up eventually but I've been playing the piss out of some Tiny Tower.

Pick it up now while it's two bucks!  It's a really well-done port...you can even ditch the iPhone tilt controls for an on-screen slider for steering.
ど助平

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
If any of you bros like rollercoaster tycoon, Circus City aint too bad for free but beware it's microtranasactioned out the ass. Still a nice building game though.
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
also im looking for game recs because i just got a iphone 4 two weeks ago and I got most of the big hitters so im lookin for hidden treasures
USA

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Hidden treasures?  Uh....

Well I don't know how hidden it is and I've already mentioned it before but Space Miner: Space Ore Bust is pretty damn good.  I played through it again the other week when I flew down to LA and it still holds up.
[youtube=560,345]uYKpZZnlm7A[/youtube]

Again, not hidden but I don't see it mentioned enough - iStunt 2.  BTW there's iStunt 2 Insane Hills and it's free
[youtube=560,345]_H95jePoMkY[/youtube]

And if you liked Transport Tycoon, then give Virtual City a try.  I've been dicking around with this one for the past week.
[youtube=560,345]TFX4TZcM75o[/youtube]
Tacos

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
:bow thanks bro
USA

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
avadon the black fortress hd is out for the ipad if you need some 40+ hour old-school rpg lovin' in your gameholes
duc

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
So yeah, Tiny Tower.

Even though I hate just about every F2P title out there I went ahead and downloaded Tiny Tower because that seems to be the iOS game du jour.  I suppose it's less offensive than most F2P games out there in that you can actually get away with "playing" this and not get to a point where you're totally fucked and need to buy items to continue.  Nothing here is going to disappear.  No stocked items are going to spoil.  Bitizens aren't going to die of old age or from neglect.  That said, it's just a bunch of OCD nonsense ala farmville but for whatever reason I'm still finding myself restocking my stores and building levels....I kinda feel dirty for "playing" this thing.

The one thing Tiny Tower has made me aware of though is that we don't have anywhere here at EB for our Game Center IDs.  I don't know how many people here actually game on their iphone/ipad/itouch but we could have a list of Game Center IDs of those that do.

Anyway, my ID: pocketfudge
Tacos

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Along that same vein, I'm enjoying Death Rally.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
So yeah, Tiny Tower.

Even though I hate just about every F2P title out there I went ahead and downloaded Tiny Tower because that seems to be the iOS game du jour.  I suppose it's less offensive than most F2P games out there in that you can actually get away with "playing" this and not get to a point where you're totally fucked and need to buy items to continue.  Nothing here is going to disappear.  No stocked items are going to spoil.  Bitizens aren't going to die of old age or from neglect.  That said, it's just a bunch of OCD nonsense ala farmville but for whatever reason I'm still finding myself restocking my stores and building levels....I kinda feel dirty for "playing" this thing.

The one thing Tiny Tower has made me aware of though is that we don't have anywhere here at EB for our Game Center IDs.  I don't know how many people here actually game on their iphone/ipad/itouch but we could have a list of Game Center IDs of those that do.

Anyway, my ID: pocketfudge

mines Methodis

i cant unhderstand tiny tower I did the tutorial but I was getting like 0 monye to build more floors, how was I supposed to get more money :huh
USA

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
Rebiak
brb

FatalT

Mine is

TylertheHood

BobFromPikeCreek

any other decent ios roguelikes? i've beaten 100 rogues, played an obscene amount of rogue touch and am currently enjoying fargoal.
zzzzz

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
anyone play that new street fighter 4 game out today? it's only a buck
USA

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
anyone play that new street fighter 4 game out today? it's only a buck

I got it.  It's pretty much the same as the original SF4 iPhone version with three more characters...they didn't update the visuals at all.  They claim the controls are better, but I saw no difference.

But it does have wi-fi online play now.  I did some matches and it worked pretty well, but this game is gimped like crazy, control-wise, so it's kinda stupid.  Not bad for a buck.
ど助平

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Loved iStuntz 2 enough to buy the full version. Thanks for the rec..
©ZH

pilonv1

There's some new Kairosoft game on the store that ISN'T grand prix story - Pocket Academy.

Sounds right up the bores alley:

School got you down? Wish you could change a few things? Well, now's your chance to create the ultimate dream school in this simulation smash-hit!

Tailor your personal academy as you see fit, erecting classrooms, making clubs--even deciding this week's hot couple!

How will you expand your hallowed halls of learning? Sponsor athletic meets, art shows, and other events to attract as many students as you can and elevate your school's prestige!

Will your students make it college or land their dream job? Find out with Pocket Academy!
--
Turn your device to rotate the screen, touch to scroll, and pinch to zoom in and out.

Supports iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
Note: Screen rotation and zoom are only available on iPhone 3GS and later, iPod touch 2nd generation and later, and iPad.

The game now lets you switch between English and Japanese.

There's a free version if you're not sure
itm

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Tacos

BobFromPikeCreek

omg i want it.

hot springs was fun, but i hit a wall and just couldn't figure out how to substantially improve my spa. it was a lot more challenging than game dev, which i liked.
zzzzz

pilonv1

I just want the fucking Grand Prix one that's on android :punch

Apparently there's a lite version out in japanse for their department store one or tower one.
itm

BobFromPikeCreek

i want the department store one SO FUCKING BAD. it looks like sim tower. oh, the hours i drained on sim tower.
zzzzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/7/6/the-king-of-fighters-for-iphone-comes-out-today.html

I'm sure it will play like ass, but it looks pretty impressive.  Just like XIII!

ど助平

Sho Nuff

Huh. I wonder if this will be a typically inflated distinguished mentally-challenged Japanese price