Author Topic: Mobile Gaming [Android/iOS] Thread  (Read 432367 times)

cool breeze

Re: Command & Conquer Red Alert iPod Touch/iPhone video and screens
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 03:57:42 AM »
Look at the screens. This isn't a port.

screens actually made it seem like a port.  I didn't even realize it was completely 3D until I saw the video.  Looks great in motion for the iphone.

[youtube=560,345]yB6Tz7kfZy8[/youtube]

that video, specifically. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 03:59:34 AM by swaggaz »

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2009, 04:46:46 AM »
I'm still waiting for the Starcraft DS that Johnny Nightfraud on GAF played against Myamoto with :rofl
CBG

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »
there's a name from the past...
itm

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »
lol remember when Ntards told us the DS was going to be the rebirth of the RTS

It does sound like something you would say.  :P

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Shitty iPhone puzzle game too expensive at $3, dev raises it to $40
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2009, 05:36:32 PM »
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=28747

This weekend Alchemize™ price will be $39.99 in protest to all the emails received by people saying that "the price is to high at $2.99".

Wow. Talk about assholes.

And I THINK Apple will revoke their iPhone dev license for this as you can't price a game over $10. Nice way to fuck yourself in the ass.
CBG

ManaByte

Ace Combat Xi: Skies of Incursion
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2009, 05:39:51 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
iPhone/Touch
[close]
CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: Ace Combat Xi: Skies of Incursion
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2009, 05:50:18 PM »
Damn, for a minute, I was like, "This looks good for a Wii game!" :lol
PSP

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: Shitty iPhone puzzle game too expensive at $3, dev raises it to $40
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2009, 06:40:11 PM »
all in favor of lepering manabyte for constant shitty iphone threads say "i"
pcp

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »
yeah, its not really gaming. Feel free to spam the OT, however

cool breeze

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2009, 08:44:38 PM »
I'm all for iphone game news, but a new thread for each bit of news and the tongue in ass fandom is a bit much.  Even on gaf there is one thread for this stuff.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »
there are some cool games coming out, but yeah, one thread

is there a way to combine all the previous threads into one big "iPhone/Touch Games" thread?

also, even if he doesn't get his shit yanked, people browsing the store will see $40, chuckle, and never look at it again even when he lowers it back - so yeah, way to curve your own penis into your anal cavity
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:00:16 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2009, 08:59:42 PM »
Moderator magick.
PSP

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »
I agree with the last few posts. I am interested in iPhone/Touch games, but it would be much easier to follow in one thread.
jon

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: Rock Band coming to iPhone with 4-way Bluetooth multi-player mode
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2009, 09:02:25 PM »
awesome, thanks will

change the thread title manabyte
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Took care of it.
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
hahaha, nice touch

THAT WAS NOT A PUN

also, Chess Elite is free this weekend, it's a nice chess game with lots of features:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=315628126&mt=8
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Wow, Red Alert looks pretty awesome. Will wait for Zune port.
PSP

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
Car Jack Streets is also free this weekend. Okayish GTA clone.

link
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:02:35 PM by Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich »
うぐう

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
Wow, Red Alert looks pretty awesome. Will wait for Zune port.

:lol That's cute.
brb

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »
all in favor of lepering manabyte for constant shitty iphone threads say "i"

It's "Aye". Leper Positive ouch
wha

Bebpo

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »
Look at the screens. This isn't a port.

screens actually made it seem like a port.  I didn't even realize it was completely 3D until I saw the video.  Looks great in motion for the iphone.

[youtube=560,345]yB6Tz7kfZy8[/youtube]

that video, specifically. 

Eh, can we look past the great graphics and just look at the gameplay?  To me it looks terrible and unplayable because your thumb takes up so much of the screen and the resolution is too low with the camera zoomed in up close.  All you can really do is slowly build a bunch of units, select them all, and slowly move them and attack things in your way.  Not exactly much strategy there.  I really don't see RTS games working on any handheld...ever.  You need a lot of screen space to do them justice.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Car Jack Streets is also free this weekend. Okayish GTA clone.

link

Crap! Missed sale, had to pay 99˘...  :-[
Dumbest part:
Not sure why I bought it when I haven't finished Chinatown Wars on DS.
[close]

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Command and Conquer Red Alert is out for $9.99

Doom is out for $6.99

iD released a free update for Wolfenstein 3D which includes Spear of Destiny

:bow Carmack :bow2
sup

Kestastrophe

Did you try Red Alert Eel? I want to try a demo before buying it for $10, but i didn't see a demo up
jon

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
no, $10 is a bit much for a blind buy

my limit is $6.99
sup

ManaByte

NBA Live is $10, and for me it was worth it because it's NBA Live and plays REALLY well with how EA did the controls. I love it.

But Red Alert is sounding like a total rip off. It's basically $10 for a DLC client, and then 99 cents for the levels. You get a couple tutorial levels in the $10 download, but if you want actual skirmish levels you have to pay for a DLC pack.

And Doom is fucking GOD on the phone. :bow Carmack :bow2

The music is perfect, it plays as perfect as ever, and it's fucking DOOM. Holy shit I've been playing the crap out of it.

I can't wait for Doom II and the Quake games.
CBG

ManaByte

Duke Nukem 3D is on sale for 99cents.

Wow. It runs like SHIT and controls even worse. Avoid it.
CBG

ManaByte

:bow LORD CARMACK :bow2

Carmack reports that they do plan on supporting Doom Classic with further updates, but don't plan on making a Lite version. While he will be stepping back from direct iPhone development in the near future, he will put some time into working out a good touch interface for the upcoming Quake Classic for the iPhone. Meanwhile, work on an iPhone specific version of Doom 2 RPG is already underway, and if its well received, they will probably bring over Orcs & Elves as well
CBG

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I bought a couple of iPhone games recently.

Garters And Ghouls: An isometric "twinstick" shooter; you shoot down waves of zombies.  Everything moves too damn slowly.

Resident Evil 4: MUCH better than the shitty Degeneration game.  It's a stripped-down, mobile version of RE4 that plays better than I thought it would.  RE kinda works on iPhone since you stop and shoot, so aiming isn't too bad.  Still, shitty touchscreen controls are shitty.

Krazy Karts: This is Konami's iPhone sequel to Konami Krazy Racers on the GBA.  It's fun and fast, but the tilt controls are gonna take some getting used to.  Not bad for a buck.

MGS Touch: It was also a dollar, figured why not.

I also tried Wolf 3D after updating it; it's all glitchy now and crashes half the time.  The controls are fucking awful.  Is Doom any better?  I think I may finally get the Wold RPG though.

How's that Call Of Duty Zombie game?
ど助平

ManaByte

The Chuck Norris game is out for $1.99 and it's awesomeness cannot be contained by a mere iPhone!
CBG

ManaByte

COD:WAW Zombies is $9.99 and is ONE level. People are holding off on it due to rumors that Activision is planning to charge $4.99 per additional level.
CBG

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
GTA: Chinatown Wars is out for $9.99

sup

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
GTA: Chinatown Wars is out for $9.99

Will defiitely pick this up. I was playing the DS version but once I heard about this one I decided to drop it and wait for it on the iphone.

Kestastrophe

I would love impressions on this, especially concerning driving controls.
jon

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Same.
Is there an app or something that communicates just from iphone to iphone? Like how Blackberry's have a PIN.
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I found an app called friendz that loads up your 360 buddy list. You can send and rec. message from it too.
©ZH

maxy

• Sales Loser
Capcom has announced plans to bring Street Fighter IV to the iPhone.

The company has spent months working on a control system, according to IGN. You'll use a virtual pad and buttons, choosing from a range of control configurations with various button positions, transparency and set-up. A Dojo Mode will help you get acquainted before entering the tournament proper.

The iPhone game will use the same assets as the current console versions so the recently introduced art style will feature, along with scaled down character models. Complete move sets will be present and correct, including Ultras and their full animations.

Only two fighters are confirmed so far - Ken and Ryu. However, a "large roster" is promised and said to feature both old and new faces.

On top of all that, there's a multiplayer mode so two players can battle it out via Bluetooth.

Capcom has yet to announce a price, but Street Fighter IV is scheduled to hit the US App Store in March.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/street-fighter-iv-coming-to-iphone

Hmm...
cat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, would have been perfect on PSP, but nope-- iPhone it is!   :-\

ど助平

pilonv1

People need to stop complaining about iPhone ports, it's the Wii of handheld gaming now. The difference being that it actually has a bunch of really good games on it. You still get ports that make no sense like this one though.
itm

ManaByte

GTA: Chinatown Wars on iPhone is superior to both the DS and PSP versions.
CBG

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
To be a systemwarztard, I love how Capcom fucked over the Wii with this.

On a positive note, I had no idea iPhone was capable of those kind of graphics.
🍆🍆

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
<ManaByte> MASS EFFECT IPHONE IS BETTER THAN THE CONSOLE ITERATIONS
fat

maxy

• Sales Loser
Capcom plans to charge $10 for Street Fighter IV on iPhone next month - a figure that translates to around Ł5.99 here.

The price was revealed by GamePro along with confirmation that on iPhone there will be only eight Street Fighter IV characters to play as: Ken, Guile, Blanka, Chun-Li, Dhalsim, M.Bison, Abel and of course Ryu.

Street Fighter IV works on iPhone by displaying a directional pad on the left of the touch-screen and face buttons on the right. This appears to work very well, if a videoed demonstration can be trusted. Which it probably can't. The console-like presentation alone is worth a look.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/iphone-street-fighter-iv-costs-USD10

Gameplay video inside.
cat

ManaByte

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
CBG

maxy

• Sales Loser
Titty lovers are not welcome

"It came to the point where we were getting customer complaints from women who found the content getting too degrading and objectionable, as well as parents who were upset with what their kids were able to see," Apple's Philip Schiller, head of worldwide product marketing, told the New York Times.

"We obviously care about developers, but in the end have to put the needs of the kids and parents first," he added.

Schiller said things came to a head when "an increasing number of apps containing very objectionable content" were submitted to the Store. Tut tut. [Surely "tit tit". - Ed]

Wobble iBoobs developer Jon Atherton was among the first to find his assets whipped off the App Store. He was given a long list of things to avoid (via Kotaku).

1. "No images of women in bikinis (Ice skating tights are not OK either)
   2. "No images of men in bikinis! (I didn't ask about Ice Skating tights for men)
   3. "No skin (he seriously said this) (I asked if a Burqa was OK, and the Apple guy got angry)
   4. "No silhouettes that indicate that Wobble can be used for wobbling boobs (yes - I am serious, we have to remove the silhouette in [our] pic)
   5. "No sexual connotations or innuendo: boobs, babes, booty, sex - all banned
   6. "Nothing that can be sexually arousing!! (I doubt many people could get aroused with [our] pic but those puritanical guys at Apple must get off on pretty mundane things to find Wobble overtly sexual!)
   7. "No apps will be approved that in any way imply sexual content (not sure how Playboy is still in the store, but...)"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/apple-defends-app-store-titillation-purge
 :rofl

Apple :yuck  :yuck
cat

Yeti

• Hail Hydra

blah[/url]

You can set your restrictions on your iphone about what content is allowed, I don't see why that is an issue?
WDW

ManaByte

Final Fantasy I and II are now up on the ApStore. $9 each.
CBG

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
I am a consumer whore and how! My "not rebuying FF1 again" strategy lasted all of 12 hours.
乱学者

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
4, yes. 6, yes

any others?

god no
Tonya

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
bought Devil Invasion for $1. 

Tonya

pilonv1

http://toucharcade.com/2010/02/24/transformers-g1-awakening-much-much-more-than-meets-the-eye/

TRANSFORMERS G1 AWAKENING IS OUT TODAY

ADVANCE WARS + TRANSFORMERS = AWESOME

itm

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
4, yes. 6, yes

any others?

god no

I've probably played FF1 two dozen times at this point in my life. It goes beyond "Stockholm Syndrome" and into "a mother's love"
乱学者

Bebpo

http://toucharcade.com/2010/02/24/transformers-g1-awakening-much-much-more-than-meets-the-eye/

TRANSFORMERS G1 AWAKENING IS OUT TODAY

ADVANCE WARS + TRANSFORMERS = AWESOME

(Image removed from quote.)

That looks :o

I want it on PSP ;_;
[close]

pilonv1

its pretty fun too. simple yet fun transformers game with awesome sound and music. but you can use your own music if you want

a+
itm

ManaByte

CBG

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
^^^^^^^

Somebody needs to make a game cradle with a d-pad/analog stick and buttons for the iPhone/iTouch already.  Or just stop porting games that use touch screen d-pads and buttons like this already.  They always play like shit.
ど助平

ManaByte

CBG

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Space Miner: Space Ore or Bust is on sale for $1.99 - totally worth it, imo.  It's basically Asteroids mixed with an RPG but it's completely addicitive.  I just keep going back to it time and time again so I can upgrade my ship even further.

[youtube=560,345]RtmU42DYQrI[/youtube]

And I may be a humongous cigarillo but I can't help but love the Virtual Villagers games (2, and 3 especially).  It's like animal crossing/The Sims combined with an ant farm fused with Survivor.  You don't have real control over your people on the island but you can eventually make them learn behaviors like becoming builders, scientists, farmers, doctors, etc. and they can mate to expand your population but you have to figure out ways to create sustainable food sources, housing, researching technology, etc. to allow them to live, if not they die.  They'll kick the bucket either from old age, accidents, famine, disease, etc. so you have to keep going back to it time and time again to check up on the people 'cause it runs in the background all the time regardless if you're playing it or not.  Plus there's a series of goals and mysteries you have to solve and or perform to "win" the game so it's not all completely pointless.  IMO, the VV games are the best bang for the buck on the entire iTunes store.

[youtube=560,345]bXbjjEJicew[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:04:56 AM by Hitler Stole My Potato »
Tacos

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Assassin's Creed II: Multiplayer is free for the first 48 hours of release.

Grab it ASAP if you're interested: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/assassins-creed-ii-multiplayer/id346782480?mt=8

BLESS YOUR HEART. I hate missing out on free stuff. Like beer. Where is the free beer, again?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
GTA: Chinatown Wars on iPhone is superior to both the DS and PSP versions.

It has inferior graphics than the PSP iteration, missing pedestrian chatter, they removed quite a bit of music to reduce file size, and due to lack of a second screen there's no easy to access map. Most importantly, both the DS and PSP versions control better thanks to actual d-pad and buttons. The iPhone iteration comes out on top in price since it's selling for a meager $10 (was $7 this weekend) but I'd still place it as the worst simply due to poor controls and the removal of features
Having recently played a LOT of GTA: Chinatown Wars on my DS, I can't really imagine how the controls would translate. I have a hard time in Animal Crossing using a touch screen to pick up fruits or pull grass, and the few "onscreen d-pad" games I've bought for iPod Touch have been an abomination. I thought Rockstar might change the controls for the cars, so the user would touch-and-drag where they want the car to go, moving their contact-point further away from the car for more acceleration, behind it to brake, etc.

"It came to the point where we were getting customer complaints from women who found the content getting too degrading and objectionable, as well as parents who were upset with what their kids were able to see," Apple's Philip Schiller, head of worldwide product marketing, told the New York Times.

"We obviously care about developers, but in the end have to put the needs of the kids and parents first," he added.

Schiller said things came to a head when "an increasing number of apps containing very objectionable content" were submitted to the Store. Tut tut. [Surely "tit tit". - Ed]
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/apple-defends-app-store-titillation-purge

Yeah, Apple is new to the game business, having been the joke of it for so long in the home computer community. ("Mac has games like Marathon, Dark Castle, and... um, Photoshop..." ) It doesn't surprise me that they're managing to alienate their devs along with mollycoddling their userbase. Apple and Nintendo share some similar ethos.

Anytime someone comes out and says "Think of the kids!" my immediate, gut reaction is that they're censoring content because they're afraid of the PR mess, or want to be seen as white-hats. This is true with companies and governments alike; any time someone comes out to shill this line of BS, I'm reminded of Heinlein's adage: "The whole principle is wrong; it's like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can’t eat steak."

When are they going to put Sid Meier's Pirates! on the iPhone already?  This is the only game I really want.
My man. This would be: :rock