Author Topic: Official MMO News And Information Thread of Etoilet Jacking Off Over Shitty GW2  (Read 171483 times)

Freyj

Proposing thread title change to "Etoilet's GW2 Livejournal".

etiolate

Excellent idea. But that's because y'all quit your MMOs.

Still in the edge of mists beta. Sad that I'm not in the wild star or teso beta. Edge of mists coming along well. Its also nice to see familiar guilds in there. I found some YouTube celebs to troll as well. I'm hunting all youtubers.

etiolate

My darlin mmo is 40% off for Christmas right now. TESO is coming April btw.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/holiday-sale-save-40/

etiolate

:kobeyuck

Guess I'll be making a human esper.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
wow  :lol

etiolate

Miktar on GAF's panaromic shots always blow me away. He uses an image stitching program, along with the Diablo 3 filter DarkD3. Pure vidya pron.

Phoenix Dark

must...not...purchase

etiolate

Asking MMO players anything of this sort is a terrible idea.

Freyj

It's so easy to get to 90 these days too.

In other news, TESO's price tag is somewhere around $200M.

etiolate

Unfortunately, TESO's project sounds like it's something that got out of hand. The porting to consoles probably added even more loops to jump through. The business model hitting on all three options is going to turn people off, and I am not sure their RvR will work well for those playing on console versions.  RvR stuff is very hardware intensive.

I feel like Wildstar will perform better financially or at least have a more stable existence.

etiolate

You realize this is the classic dead period of the expansion cycle for WoW right?

Freyj

You realize this is the classic dead period of the expansion cycle for WoW right?

Decent time to soak in all the content you've missed I guess, but WoW's more about making old content irrelevant and new content immediately accessible these days.

Phoenix Dark

Which is why the game tends to be dead outside of end game stuff. Really strikes me as a bad development decision at this point, with them constantly trying to liven up the world/community.

During my final Mists of Pandaria days I'd fly around some of the older, low level areas just looking for anyone who was playing. If I ran across a low level player I'd give them 100g and fly away in search of the next one. Rarely found anyone.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Game was ruined by cross servers pvp/dungeons and welfare epics.

Phoenix Dark

Ultimately cross server play was inevitable due to multiple servers declining; that's simply something that happens to MMOs. But I think Blizzard could have been a lot more proactive about ensuring that server identities didn't die, which is what wound up happening. For instance I used to always post in the WoW thread about taking forever to find groups at certain times of the day, or having to ask Etoilet to run with me.  Cross server fixed that, I'm glad it did, but now servers are nothing more than hubs.

What if you got more rewards for doing dungeons with groups that had 4 people from your server. That alone would greatly increase the amount of people playing locally, and allow individual players to stand out again. I don't exaggerate when I say that at one point, I was familiar with every notable tank on my server. By Cata it was like "who cares" due to how much cross server play dominated things. And now the raid finder makes it even less important to find a decent guild, friends, etc.

We used to run alt raids on the weekends, just for fun. Few friends, some pugs, and lots of time. Now it seems pretty fucking tough to do that on most servers compared to just queing.

etiolate

WoW is just old and has a narrowly focused design at max level. As people moved on, that narrow focus became harder and harder to keep up. Without LFR and LFG, you'd have people not doing dungeons or raids due to the difficulty of finding people. It's really a response to player loss more so than the cause.

I got my Ele to 80. My fifth 80 and the last alt I'm leveling for now. I really enjoy the way Dagger/Dagger Ele plays, but I'm rather noob at it still. Would like to try out a dungeon with guild instead of pugs, because I will screw up. I don't really know the best way to play Ele in a dungeon setting.

Freyj

After eons of having those tools? Maybe. It worked just fine before they were around unless you were unsociable or an asshat.

The flexible raiding tier should have fixed issues of making raids accessible.

Phoenix Dark

Welfare epics never bothered me. It was always obvious who was doing easy content, and who was doing harder stuff. Sure a rambo dps could quickly gear up on welfares and bullshit his way into a real raid, but overall I felt like there were two seperate raiding communities. Even in Ulduar there were people who could do half of The Siege and  that's it. A lot of people would simply kill Flame Leviathan and maybe Ignis, once a week and that was it, for weeks and weeks of grinding out epics for the guild.

When Ulduar first came out I was in a guild that sometimes struggled in Naxx, so Ulduar was out of the question; we have solid tanks and one great healer, but dps was very poor. Still, even we could do Leviathan and almost downed Ignis. I left after a couple weeks and joined the guild I had been doing 25 man Naxx with. Hard Modes were pretty much all we did. At the time most casual guilds were only doing the Siege, and the serious groups were doing hard modes with us.

That's how things go, I guess. I never felt like welfare epics were hurting the game, the problem seemed moreso Blizzard nerfing various aspects of bosses to cater to people who couldn't play. At the end of the day, raid gear is secondary to knowing what to do and not to do.

Phoenix Dark

I'm not going to lie, I still get chills when I fly into Ironforge, or when I enter Stormwind at dawn.

or Dalaran at night :lawd

etiolate

Yeah sorry. I like Stormwind and all

but

GW2 wins best cities award. It's not even close. Divinity's Reach and Lion's Arch are redonkulous.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
can we start a new thread that has a no GW2 content policy

every time I click this thread it's just etoilet shilling for his furry midget sim
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

GW2 has some crazy big cities. They're beautiful and well designed but I feel they're "too big" in a sense. I like the intimate feel of Ironforge. SW is bigger and more sprawling, which is why I like it less. To me Dalaran is a perfect city: medium, well designed, a few different "hotspot" areas where people congregate (banks, portal area, daily instance area).

etiolate

can we start a new thread that has a no GW2 content policy

every time I click this thread it's just etoilet shilling for his furry midget sim

:umad

I post more about various MMOs than you all. I can only reminisce over WoW so much.

I can't help that GW2 has the awesome.  :win

Phoenix Dark

Yup. When a city has hotspots it becomes rather unnecessary to have a huge sprawling city. For instance in SW, everyone would hang out between the bank and AH; same applied to Ironforge. Sometimes we'd group up somewhere else, like the second bank in SW or Old Town. In Dalaran, everyone was either outside the bank or in the instance area, getting quests. I loved how everyone would rush to the que area when Wintersgrasp was about to start.

The MoP city is kinda boring to me. It was awesome the first time I stepped in, largely due to how much time it took to access it, but overall it just feels boring.

etiolate

I understand disliking needless sprawl, but GW2's differences from other MMOs make their huge cities not an issue. Namely, waypoints and level design.

You also have to take into account that GW2 rewards exploring. The city isn't just a trade hub in the game. The cities are meant to be explored and are part of Living Story events. (Invasions, Traveling Visitors, big events.) Lion's Arch also has the jumping puzzles, which are some of the highlights of the game. There is also no mounts, so no zipping from one vendor to the next. These are on-foot cities meant to be poked around in. If you need to get around fast, you can waypoint.

Tera has a huge city, but the sprawling gets in the way, each part of the city looks like, and the size doesn't really add much. GW2 has two cities that just plain old sprawl (Hoelbrak and Black Citadel), but the rest have centralized trade hubs. All of them reward exploring.

Freyj

You shouldn't need to teleport around zones, much less cities. That's poor design and a paddlin'.

etiolate

Just because you can teleport doesn't mean you have to. We're talking about an MMO here. They're meant to be big.

Phoenix Dark

Speaking of bloated cities, I was never a fan of Shattrath, especially before I could fly there. It was just artificially big, there really wasn't much...there.

Dalaran :rejoice

etiolate

Yeah but Shattrah was better once you could fly. Nice hangout. Dalaran was needlessly difficult to fly into.

Phoenix Dark

Yea getting back to Dalaran was often annoying, and really killed the other cities/Azeroth.