Author Topic: Official MMO News And Information Thread of Etoilet Jacking Off Over Shitty GW2  (Read 171496 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Official MMO News And Information Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 10:57:36 PM »
holy shit WoW better watch out  :o :o :o :drudge :drudge :drudge

etiolate

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2009, 12:34:09 AM »
Blade n Soul battles look like SC fights. If they play like them, then I'll put up with the perverty designs.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2009, 03:21:58 AM »
Speaking of gamer cards, I'm kinda contemplating letting my account expire (on the 30th iirc) and resubbing when 3.3 comes out. Had some fun tonight in a Trial of the Crusader 25 raid (with folks from your guild Etiolet). But meh, I feel like I'm doing the same thing every raid with my guild. Not in terms of boss mechanics but in terms of reaching the same roadblocks every raid: poor leadership, people not paying attention, etc. That won't change in Icecrown but maybe I'll feel better, refreshed.

but who am I joking, most likely I'll resub : /

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »
I haven't logged into WoW since last month. I hooked up my 360 and have just been playing Mass Effect, Forza 3, and non MMOs.
CBG

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »
I don't think WOW would ever get topped by Star Trek or Star Wars.  There's no canon for EQ and WOW to really subscribe to (that the general public is familiar with) so they can do whatever they want.  Star Trek and Wars is shackled by it, forcing a lot of limitations that the public would not care to partake in.

Not that I play MMOs but a WOW killer would be a fantasy game (not sci-fi) not based on a popular movie or TV series.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2009, 05:07:13 PM »
I think it'll be hard for a "swords n sandals" type fantasy MMO to kill off WoW. While the game is flawed, Blizzard does enough to keep people coming back, especially with the upcoming expansion which has received a lot of interest. So far it seems like most of the challengers have focused on certain aspects of the genre (WAR for instance, billing itself as a pvp player's dream) over others.

Assuming Blizzard continues with the five level cap, there will be four expansions (including Cataclysm) left before hitting the lv100 mark. I'd imagine WoW's userbase will decline eventually but it should remain on top until Blizzard introduces something else.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2009, 07:23:36 PM »
No, I meant that a science fiction MMO based in space off of a popular existing property (Star Trek, Star Wars) is unlikely to top World of Warcraft.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2009, 02:10:27 AM »
I agree, just making a broader point on fantasy MMOs. I think a sci fi MMO could do very well, but as you said it would have to be something that isn't shackled to a popular franchise.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 01:54:12 AM »
We've already reported that Cryptic Studios and Atari will have a special retail box Collector's Editon of their upcoming MMO Star Trek Online. Now comes word that there will be a Digital Deluxe edition of the game specifically for download services like Direct2Drive, Steam and Atari's own online site. The Digital Deluxe edition will cost $59.95.

So what do you get for that extra $10 bucks? Well you get the option of playing the game as a "Joined Trill" the same kind of alien Dax was in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine TV series. You also get some exclusive in-game items such as an Original Series uniform set and two unique emotes. One is a Klingon blood wine toast and (we are not kidding) the other is the "KHAAAAAN!" emote. Yes you can make your character act just like Shatner himself. You will also gain access to a unique ship item (an automated defense battery) and a way to give your ship an "NX" prefix in its identification number.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 04:53:25 AM »
I don't know if GW2 will out-subscribe/userbase WoW, but it will most likely be better. Hell, I'm not sure if WoW is even better than recent offerings like Aion or Warhammer, mostly because I haven't played the new offerings. WoW is so flawed it would be easy to out-class, the issue is that PC userbases don't move on easily and userbase is major part of the draw for online games.

Right now Blizzard seems cocky enough to make regurgitation their status quo. Re-use Naxx, reuse item models, just re-use the entire original game for Cataclysm. Maybe that will make people finally turn on them. The MMO userbase is so inherently lazy and depressed that its hard to 'wrong' them enough to switch sides. It's not a matter of making a better game than WoW, because thats already been done. It's a matter of Blizzard finally disrespecting the users enough to get burned by it.

ManaByte

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
EQ2 expansion #6 came out. It's Odus, which means Paineel (both Old and New) and The Hole is back. There's an instance for The Hole which is the first dungeon in the expansion and the level cap is now 90.
CBG

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »
Allods Online entered open beta today. F2P WoW clone that's more polished than any MMO released lately.
itm

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2010, 08:05:18 PM »
Allods Online entered open beta today. F2P WoW clone that's more polished than any MMO released lately.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll give it a shot.

pilonv1

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »
It's pretty interesting, the end game pvp with Astral ships that are completely built and run by players look fascinating.
itm

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »
Allods Online was actually one of the most talked about "games of 2010" releases in MMO circles. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't half bad, and a F2P MMO that is just "half bad" is gonna make a lot of money, I would think.
hex

pilonv1

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »
I played the first hour or so. It's very good if you want a free WoW clone. Their cash shop is largely vanity items but there's also some short term potions and things. Nothing game breaking yet.

http://www.keenandgraev.com/?p=3520
itm

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2010, 12:34:36 AM »
Played for an hour (got to level 4). I like the opening scenario, but once you get to the hub-world it gets tedious (kill 8 rats, slugs, etc).

Art style is really nice though.

ManaByte

CBG

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
that kind of depresses me. I haven't played in years, but that game is memories, man.  :'(

[youtube=560,345]O5jxTBfxnzQ[/youtube]

ManaByte

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »
EA's new tactic to save WAR:
CBG

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2010, 01:15:24 AM »
withdraw the monthly fee 17 times and add a 7 dollar fee on top of it? WTF is that shit?
XDF

ManaByte

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
The 7 dollar fee is the person's overdraft fee since EA Mythic emptied his bank account.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2010, 03:17:22 AM »
hot sexy new Guild Wars 2 info

Of course GW2 has great support for parties, but they just don’t feel as necessary as they do in other MMOs, because your interests are always aligned with all other nearby players anyway. When someone kills a monster, not just that player’s party but everyone who was seriously involved in the fight gets 100% of the XP and loot for the kill. When an event is happening in the world – when the bandits are terrorizing a village – everyone in the area has the same motivation, and when the event ends, everyone gets rewarded.
http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto#more-1891

The blog entry sounds like they're trying to remove the party forming experience and have cooperative play happen spontaneously. This is a huge step from GW, which required preparing before even going out. They are looking to step right into open world and skip over the current MMO structure and into their event encounter setup.

And like the original GW, in GW2 the creativity doesn’t end with your own character. When you play with others, you’ll find that your abilities can complement theirs, and that you can discover new skill combos and strategies between professions. So if you’re playing an Elementalist, try casting a fire wall, and then see what happens when your friends shoot projectiles through it.

From another interview, they also included the fact they'll have attacks that will launch targets into the air which sets up combos as well.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/part-one/
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/part-two/

A warrior and an Elementalist playing together could combine their abilities in several different ways. The Elementalist could drop down Static Field, which is an area-targeted lightning effect. A warrior who fires a rifle bullet through the static field would cause his shot to be charged up with electricity, inflicting additional damage. If that didn't suit their style, then the Elementalist might drop a Wall of Fire in front of a group of enemies. The warrior could enter the firewall and use Cyclone Axe, an attack which causes him to spin rapidly, sending the firewall outward and hitting his foes. There are literally hundreds of combinations for players to discover.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/elementalist/

Hott videos of Elementalist skills. They are spells from the first game, but play out differently and are much more visually unique. They also added a secondary area effect to Elementalist auras. Every character can equip some sort of heal, which one depending on race and prof.  I am wondering if they'll drop healing classes because of this.

ManaByte

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2010, 01:55:57 PM »
The added the first distinguished mentally-challenged player race in a MMO to STO:
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
Well that IS a race from TNG.
CBG

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2010, 04:08:53 PM »
But who would want to play as one of them?  :yuck
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »
Well that IS a race from TNG.

Arguably the worst race from TNG.

"Why is the warp core broken, Geordi? Make us strong!"
"No..."
KONK ON THE HEAD
"We have broken Geordi LaForge. Please send more engineers."

pilonv1

« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2010, 12:52:51 AM »
Have they added any content to STO yet? Or just races for purchase?
itm

ManaByte

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2010, 02:42:29 PM »
Suprisingly a lot of content for a Cryptic game. Mostly in the form of end-game raids though. Klingons still don't have PVE, but that's coming.
CBG

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2010, 10:08:52 PM »
I'll probably just dick around in Guild Wars until FFXIV or Cataclysm comes out. Really looking forward to FFXIV, hopefully they aren't out at the same time. Same exact time anyway.

ManaByte

« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2010, 01:44:36 AM »
There is a huge article in the latest Edge about some new Funcom MMO. Looks interesting!

How many shit MMOs will it take before people learn their lesson about Funcom?
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »
STO just implemented veteran rewards. One of the first is an emote: "Shaka, when the walls fell" :rofl

Edit: Also gives you a Tamarian combadge for your uniform and a "Tamarian Envoy" title.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:14:54 PM by ManaByte »
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »
This is the "Darmok" emote they added. You pull out a knife and mime the action from the episode:

That is Earth's moon in the background, as Riker described it in First Contact.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2010, 09:17:21 PM »
Also Cryptic is apparently announcing their third MMO this summer.

It's either:

A. Neverwinter Nights
B. Call of Cthulu
C. An original modern-setting MMO.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2010, 03:39:56 PM »
:rofl

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09:31 PM »
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2010, 01:42:34 AM »
Yet again, ANet gets it.

Traditional quest systems involve walking up to a character who usually has an exclamation point or question mark hovering over their head and talking to them. From here, you get a massive wall of text hardly anyone reads that describes a horrible or totally mundane thing going on in the world that you need to help with. You run off, complete this task, then return and talk to this character again to receive another wall of text and a reward. Traditional quest systems rely on these blocks of quest text to tell you what is happening in the world; this is just an outdated form of storytelling.

In Guild Wars 2, our event system won't make you read a huge quest description to find out what's going on. You'll experience it by seeing and hearing things in the world. If a dragon is attacking, you won't read three paragraphs telling you about it, you'll see buildings exploding in giant balls of fire, and hear characters in the game world screaming about a dragon attack. You'll hear guards from nearby cities trying to recruit players to go help fight the dragon, and see huge clouds of smoke in the distance, rising from the village under siege.

I would add, outdated for videogames.

There is a second fundamental flaw to traditional quest systems: what the quest text tells you is happening in a quest is not actually what is happening in the world.

For example, in a traditional MMO, the character who gives you a quest will tell you ogres are coming to destroy the character's home, and you need to kill them. You then get a quest which says, "Kill 0/10 ogres" and you proceed to kill a bunch of ogres standing around in a field picking daisies. Since every player in the game needs to be able to do this quest, the ogres will never actually threaten the character's home - they will just eternally pick daisies in the field. The ogres aren't actually doing what the quest says they are - the game is lying to you!

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/

ManaByte

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2010, 01:47:26 AM »
Again, Guild Wars is NOT a MMO anymore than Diablo III is.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2010, 01:53:19 AM »
Again, ManaByte is totally uninformed.

ManaByte

« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
I played Guild Wars up until the second expansion. It was just Diablo in 3D.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2010, 02:18:51 AM »
Guild Wars 2 is a MMO. Read the articles.

etiolate

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »
They've had enough time to work on it to be overly ambitious. It's been in development for years and we're just now seeing actual gameplay and footage. It probably took a long time just to get to this point, but it feels like they're moving along now.

ManaByte

« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
Clone Wars Adventures announced:
http://www.clonewarsadventures.com/

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

And before anyone jumps in and says bububub SWG, the SWG developers (sans Koster) are with BioWare now and are making Old Republic.
CBG

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
So they are going to have The bioware MMO and this one?

I wonder if they will hurt each other's user-base.
XDF

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2010, 06:34:20 AM »
Says it's browser based, is it free to play?
___

ManaByte

« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »
Dunno if it's browser based as they are doing a retail release.

And yea, Clone Wars is extremely popular. FreeRealms has something like 10 million players, so this will probably be pretty big.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2010, 10:07:27 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if its linked to Cartoon Network's collection of online games.

ManaByte

« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2010, 02:15:27 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if its linked to Cartoon Network's collection of online games.

Why? SOE has nothing to do with those games.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »
I wonder how the people who bought lifetime subs feel about that?
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2010, 03:39:57 PM »
I hope they keep the current game free. I still need to level up my Runekeeper.

ManaByte

« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2010, 04:11:21 PM »
I hope they keep the current game free. I still need to level up my Runekeeper.

What do you mean current game? No, it's going to be like DDO. The old DDO went away when Unlimited came out and if you want to level one of your older characters, you'd better pay up as past level 4 you don't really get any free content.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
The article mentioned quest packs. The question is what quests? All the quests? I can still level just grinding, but I typically do it through skirmish and storyline quests. If they made you pay for the storyline quests then it would rather suck. If they add quests and make them pay to play then that doesn't really alter my gameplan.

ManaByte

« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »
The article mentioned quest packs. The question is what quests? All the quests? I can still level just grinding, but I typically do it through skirmish and storyline quests. If they made you pay for the storyline quests then it would rather suck. If they add quests and make them pay to play then that doesn't really alter my gameplan.

That's how it works in DDO and as the two are using identical store systems I doubt LOTRO would be much different. You also have to pay for access to dungeons.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2010, 04:37:04 AM »
just saw lotro going free to play, those lifetime subscribers must be piissssed :lol
___

ManaByte

« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2010, 05:01:47 PM »
Not sure if that's technically a MMO anymore.
CBG

cool breeze

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »
was it ever? I was following it a while back and it all seemed instanced.  I don't think it had a fee attached to it.

ManaByte

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2010, 05:10:24 PM »
Yea it was a MMO at one point.

But they talked about how they were re-doing it and now it just looks like a squad-based 1st/3rd person shooter. The lack of any PC mention in the trailer really makes it seem that way.
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Agency
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »
was it ever? I was following it a while back and it all seemed instanced.  I don't think it had a fee attached to it.
Guild Wars is buy once, no fee though, right?