Author Topic: Just Cause 2 thread of impossible stunts and true sandbox fun  (Read 27297 times)

Beezy

Re: Just Cause 2 has a release date
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »
 :duh

Bebpo

« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2010, 01:58:09 AM »
It's actually really easy.  Grapple near the top, then shoot it while holding onto it.

wait, I wonder what I would happen if I grapple the canister to another canister, then shoot both of them while I'm on one...I need to test this

I wish you could grapple the horizontal canisters and shoot forward with them.

Beezy

« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2010, 02:00:58 AM »
It's actually really easy.  Grapple near the top, then shoot it while holding onto it.

wait, I wonder what I would happen if I grapple the canister to another canister, then shoot both of them while I'm on one...I need to test this

I wish you could grapple the horizontal canisters and shoot forward with them.
...can you attach enemies to them?

Bebpo

« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2010, 02:08:18 AM »
Would make sense.

I think the problem is you can't shoot and grapple fast enough on your own.  But if you attached an enemy first and then shot it...it should work in theory.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2010, 02:27:58 AM »
I wish you could grapple then shoot. Would make more sense.

I just spent 20 mins flying a plane. Looks amazing and I'm not even on full detail with my PC.
itm

cool breeze

« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2010, 02:31:56 AM »
how do you mean? you can grapple then shoot.  even during the animation where you pull yourself forward you can be shooting.  It's pretty awesome to hook onto a generator and shoot it out before you reach it.

pilonv1

« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2010, 02:56:49 AM »
I must be doing it wrong.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2010, 12:59:50 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but the demo didn't do much for me.

The camera's FOV made me a little ill during the swirly navigation by parachute bits, and gross movement is stunningly easy thanks to grapple+parachute, but fine movement seemed impossible. Getting to a hidden item in the first settlement, it was simple to get to the top of the tower, and just about impossible to get inside the clearly man-sized openings. I recognized the crouched, clinging position from the videos on navigating the outside of a moving vehicle, but I couldn't figure out to to get him to move on the tower.

There wasn't enough weaponry around to do what I thought I should do, like blow up buildings and watertowers, but thankfully everything appears to be made from fireworks left over from the last revolution and post-shelf-date dynamite, because I can destroy everything by shooting it with a pistol. Don't even need grenades.

This is a lame complaint to follow up the legit ones, but the voice acting of "Bolo," the rebel leader chica, was typical of what happens when a director tells a voice actor "make up an accent, not quite Spanish, but foreign" and the voice actor hazily recalls their last toked-out trip to the Caribbean.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2010, 04:49:58 AM »
Getting to a hidden item in the first settlement, it was simple to get to the top of the tower, and just about impossible to get inside the clearly man-sized openings. I recognized the crouched, clinging position from the videos on navigating the outside of a moving vehicle, but I couldn't figure out to to get him to move on the tower.

If you're talking about the clock tower in the village just below the basejump, were you trying to drop in from above? It's very very very easy to get in if you attach your grappling hook below one of the openings and then use jump to hop up from that position. This jump from grapple is fuck efficient, you even jump higher than from standing.

Quote from: chronovore
There wasn't enough weaponry around to do what I thought I should do, like blow up buildings and watertowers, but thankfully everything appears to be made from fireworks left over from the last revolution and post-shelf-date dynamite, because I can destroy everything by shooting it with a pistol. Don't even need grenades.

Ironically enough, the item in the clocktower mentioned above is actually a grenadelauncher :lol
And I wouldn't try destroying the construction cranes or the radio mast with the pistol hehe. There are some good weapons caches around the more fortified places.

Quote from: chronovore
This is a lame complaint to follow up the legit ones, but the voice acting of "Bolo," the rebel leader chica, was typical of what happens when a director tells a voice actor "make up an accent, not quite Spanish, but foreign" and the voice actor hazily recalls their last toked-out trip to the Caribbean.

Yeah, the voice work and animation is pretty much terrible. Hope you can skip the cutscenes in the final game. That's my biggest complaint about the demo so far, having to suffer through that terrible voice each time I start over. Also that there's no way to get up/over 1m or higher ledges unless you take a step back and grapple it, pretty clumsy.
地平線

pilonv1

« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2010, 07:07:29 AM »
Also that there's no way to get up/over 1m or higher ledges unless you take a step back and grapple it, pretty clumsy.

This is driving me nuts, I played too much Assassins Creed 2 and it always gets me that I cant climb normally.
itm

cool breeze

« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »
[youtube=560,345]t9hCy19VUJI[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]lxTUSI4Z9NE[/youtube]

hack for the pc demo/version that lets you use multiple grapple hooks

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2010, 08:44:22 PM »
The bus one: nice necklace. I'm going to have dreams about that scenario, it's so surreal.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2010, 09:18:13 AM »
Those bus videos, BA GAWD  :o

cool breeze

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2010, 02:40:34 PM »
The camera's FOV made me a little ill during the swirly navigation by parachute bits

they added the ability to change the FOV in the PC demo.  Just a quick example of how far you can make it:

I wish they would add the ability to adjust FOV right there with brightness in some games, but I guess it does use more more resources since you're showing more of the image.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »
So is 'Just Cause' because you are fighting for something important or 'Just Cuz' you can blow shit up?
©ZH

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »
So is 'Just Cause' because you are fighting for something important or 'Just Cuz' you can blow shit up?
The first one.  The first game was about taking out a South American dictator by working with guerillas or whatever.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »

I like to think it's a little of both.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »

heh. "Just 'Cause" -- I like it.

« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »
Going to be 40$ Canadian! Woohoo!
I love those deals. Same price I paid for Batman Arkham Asylum and Dragon Age Origins. You can probably trade it in to GameStop for nearly the price you paid, as well. :usacry

I may buy it, finish it and trade it, but I can think of a few games I'd rather be spending the money on. Splinter Cell and Red Dead come to mind.
}Ö{

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2010, 02:36:31 PM »

heh. "Just 'Cause" -- I like it.
:-*
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2010, 05:43:08 PM »
Basically confirms what I already know from playing the demo: JC2 is gonna ROCK. :rock
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2010, 05:58:23 PM »
which is the superior version?
duc

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2010, 05:59:15 PM »
which is the superior version?

Which do you think?
SRY

pilonv1

« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2010, 07:45:43 PM »
PC - 360 controller and PC awesomeness :bow2

PS3 has the youtube buffer thing, but PS3 :teehee
itm

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
Game is out, getting it

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
i mean, can someone give me a breakdown on what the advantages of the 360 version are over the ps3 version

i ask because i have a new downstairs super teevee but it only has a blu-ray player -- i mean ps3, oh lol me -- hooked up to it, and if the differences are trivial, i'll get the ps3 version just to plaay it on TEH BIG SKREEN
duc

cool breeze

« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2010, 08:37:01 PM »
I think the only tech breakdowns are on the demos released here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-justcause2-demo-analysis

I'm not gonna bother reading it.  I'm assuming the 360 version will be better like it is most of the time.  Only major advantage of the PS3 version is the video capture and youtube uploading.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »
Ps3 has better shadows, frame rate isn't locked.

360 has locked frame rate but 8% of the frames are apparently torn. Has motion blur.

Get the PS3 version for the big T.V i say.

FatalT

« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
I picked it up for 360. Pretty sweet so far, 2 hours in.

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
I hate waiting an extra week for the PC release. What gives?
wha

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2010, 10:44:10 PM »
Does this game have the same awful yet awesome writing from the first one?

"I warn you, I have seen 'Air Force One' seventeen times...and each time THE PRESIDENT WINS"

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2010, 10:50:47 PM »
i mean, can someone give me a breakdown on what the advantages of the 360 version are over the ps3 version

i ask because i have a new downstairs super teevee but it only has a blu-ray player -- i mean ps3, oh lol me -- hooked up to it, and if the differences are trivial, i'll get the ps3 version just to plaay it on TEH BIG SKREEN

Get it for your Asus laptop and hook it to the TV.  @720p, your laptop will run it much better than crap console hardware.  The Asus might even handle JC2 @1080p. 

Bebpo

« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »

360 has locked frame rate but 8% of the frames are apparently torn. Has motion blur.

Wait, PS3 version doesn't have motion blur?

I don't think I could have enjoyed JC1 without Motion Blur.  It adds a lot to these games and smooths out the framerate.

Bebpo

« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2010, 11:00:27 PM »
I'm going to get the PC in November during Black Friday sale for hopefully $5-10 since I can't really run it as well as I'd like atm and I don't want to go with either console version when the PC one is so much better.  Doing the same for Metro 2033.

Didn't the PC version come out today?  I swear I saw it on Steam.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2010, 11:03:21 PM »
Yup, Bebpo's right.  It just came out today on Steam. 

dark1x

« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
When I do get it, definitely going PC.  Demo runs awesome and looks really nice.

Bebpo

« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2010, 11:26:04 PM »
hey dark1x, do you have any idea why when I play the demo it runs buttery smooth but then when I turn towards BUILDINGS it drops like an insane amount of frames?

For example at the starting base.  I can circle 360 the camera around the starting area at 60fps+ but when the radio tower and one or two buildings behind it come into view, the game drops to 20fps.  I can put stuff up pretty high and get 30-60fps but then it drops to 10-20fps with buildings in view or I can drop EVERYTHING to low and get way beyond 60fps+ but still drops to 20fps+ when buildings come into view.  When I fly around in the sky it's 60fps until I get real close to buildings and the level of detail of goes up and then 20fps even with object detail on low.

It's frustrating because when I'm flying around in the sky, or running through the grass or driving along the roads I can have a lot of the settings on high and have a really nice looking game running at 30fps+.  But then since it gets choppy with buildings (and the buildings are super simple geometry on low!) the experience is basically unplayable.  This is the reason I'm waiting until I upgrade my vid card.  But it just seems weird that nothing kills my framerate except low polygon low detail minor buildings coming into view and that hits it incredibly hard and halves my framerate.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2010, 11:30:38 PM »

Wait, PS3 version doesn't have motion blur?

I don't think I could have enjoyed JC1 without Motion Blur.  It adds a lot to these games and smooths out the framerate.

According to the Digital Foundry thing, no.

cool breeze

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »

It's already out on PC, retail and steam.  It uses Steam as DRM too so you could just enter your CD key and it will treat it like a steam purchase.  The case and DVD are pretty much useless.

Does this game have the same awful yet awesome writing from the first one?

"I warn you, I have seen 'Air Force One' seventeen times...and each time THE PRESIDENT WINS"

I didn't play that much of the first one but the writing and voice acting sounds like that.

hey dark1x, do you have any idea why when I play the demo it runs buttery smooth but then when I turn towards BUILDINGS it drops like an insane amount of frames?

For example at the starting base.  I can circle 360 the camera around the starting area at 60fps+ but when the radio tower and one or two buildings behind it come into view, the game drops to 20fps.  I can put stuff up pretty high and get 30-60fps but then it drops to 10-20fps with buildings in view or I can drop EVERYTHING to low and get way beyond 60fps+ but still drops to 20fps+ when buildings come into view.  When I fly around in the sky it's 60fps until I get real close to buildings and the level of detail of goes up and then 20fps even with object detail on low.

It's frustrating because when I'm flying around in the sky, or running through the grass or driving along the roads I can have a lot of the settings on high and have a really nice looking game running at 30fps+.  But then since it gets choppy with buildings (and the buildings are super simple geometry on low!) the experience is basically unplayable.  This is the reason I'm waiting until I upgrade my vid card.  But it just seems weird that nothing kills my framerate except low polygon low detail minor buildings coming into view and that hits it incredibly hard and halves my framerate.

Lock the frame rate if it is that bad.  A lot of people just have it locked at 30 so it is more consistent between dense and open area.  According to fraps my game is lowest at 45 and highest at 75, but I don't really mind it.  Some areas of the full game like dense forest make the game run a bit worse than the demo areas.

Missions so far are the standard mercenaries stuff but all the mechanics are great, so that makes up for it.  It is definitely more fun to just run around blowing stuff up.

And they let you airdrop a jet.  It's a pain in the ass since you need to make sure it's lined up on a stretch of road, but still, you can just have a guy drop off a jet whenever you want.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:24:18 AM by swaggaz »

Bebpo

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
My min would be like 20 though and I don't want to lock it at 20fps!  :(

cool breeze

« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2010, 12:38:28 AM »
yeah, but you could lock it at 30 and the difference would just be a lot less jarring.

to do it, right click and go to properties in the steam menu, click 'set launch options', and enter "/frameratecap=" and whatever number you want at the end.  If you want 30, just do /frameratecap=30

Himu

« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2010, 12:39:08 AM »
The demo was awesome. Am I alone in thinking it reminds me of Bionic Commando?

How's the final game?
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2010, 12:43:01 AM »
My min would be like 20 though and I don't want to lock it at 20fps!  :(

Drop the res and see if the framerate goes up.  If it does, then drop some GPU settings like texture quality, texture filtering or AA quality.  

Smooth Groove

« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2010, 12:44:42 AM »

How's the final game?

The new Bionic Commando? 

If so, how is it?  It's installed but I haven't had the chance to play it.  It looked kinda shitty even with max settings. 

Himu

« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2010, 12:46:54 AM »
No I mean, how is Just Cause 2?
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2010, 12:53:10 AM »
yeah, but you could lock it at 30 and the difference would just be a lot less jarring.

to do it, right click and go to properties in the steam menu, click 'set launch options', and enter "/frameratecap=" and whatever number you want at the end.  If you want 30, just do /frameratecap=30

k, will try this with the demo and see how it goes.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2010, 12:53:18 AM »
How does it remind you of Bionic Commando if you've never played Bionic Commando?

Unless you meant the OG Bionic Commando.  In that case, the comparison doesn't make much sense.  

Himu

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
The grapple hook totally reminds me of BC. I dunno. Grapple hook + guns = bc in my mind.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »
It's nothing like BC, Himuro.

Play BC 3D or Rearmed for your BC needs.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »

How's the final game?

The new Bionic Commando? 

If so, how is it?  It's installed but I haven't had the chance to play it.  It looked kinda shitty even with max settings. 

I can answer this. Bionic Commando is an awesome game. Loved it
fat

Himu

« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2010, 01:02:27 AM »
It's nothing like BC, Himuro.

Play BC 3D or Rearmed for your BC needs.

I'm not saying it's anything like BC, but the grapple hook + guns remind me of BC, and I've played Rearmed.

Anyways, demo rocked.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2010, 02:00:24 AM »
This is like when people thought Lost Planet was a "next gen" Bionic Commando

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2010, 02:06:56 AM »
This is like when people thought Lost Planet was a "next gen" Bionic Commando

And those same people thought Bionic Commando was shit for some reason.
SRY

SantaC

Re: Just Cause 2 thread of impossible stunts and true sandbox fun
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:39 AM »
I picked this game up today and I am having a blast. And no JC2 has much better grapple physics than in that BC 3D game. Not comparable really.

Bebpo

« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2010, 03:30:43 AM »
I picked this game up today and I am having a blast. And no JC2 has much better grapple physics than in that BC 3D game. Not comparable really.

::)

SantaC

« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2010, 04:22:19 AM »

::)

eh what  it is true. You cant tether stuff to anything in BC 3D game. Can you for example tether a vehicle to a helicopter or plane in BC? Nope.

Bebpo

« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2010, 04:26:07 AM »
Can you swing through a forest using grapple momentum physics in JC2?

Nope  ::) 

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2010, 04:28:36 AM »
Can you swing through a forest using grapple momentum physics in JC2?

Nope  ::) 

Can you actually have fun playing JC2? Yep.
wha

Bebpo

« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2010, 04:30:37 AM »
Bionic Commando is a great game, wtf is with this thread trying to say JC2 is the new BC and retcon BC 3D into some bad game with bad grappling.

They're completely different games.