Author Topic: Just Cause 2 thread of impossible stunts and true sandbox fun  (Read 27223 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: Just Cause 2 has a release date
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2010, 04:45:36 PM »
why doesn't the xbox version let you do that?  because of microsoft?

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2010, 04:52:42 PM »
Who's knows.  Probably.

One thing I'd like to know is if the videos you upload will be in HD.  I'm assuming they won't be but if they are, then I may seriously consider the PS3 version for this.

Again, I've already got a Hauppauge HD PVR so I don't know why I would necessarily care but it seems pretty damn convenient to be able to do it directly in the game itself.
Tacos

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2010, 05:24:38 PM »
Does the PC version have the upload feature?
itm

drew

• sy
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
why doesn't the xbox version let you do that?  because of microsoft?

skate lets you do the same thing, so, no

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2010, 06:12:07 PM »
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 was the same way, you could upload video to youtube on the PS3 but you were shit outta luck on 360
sup

drew

• sy
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »
in the video do they say if it uploads to a dev run website?

cool breeze

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2010, 06:16:03 PM »

Nope.  It's weird.

You can use Fraps, but like Hitler said, you'll have to be constantly recording to catch a random event.  Having the last 30 seconds saved is just a nice feature.

in the video do they say if it uploads to a dev run website?

The video says it uploads straight to youtube.  Put in the username and password and hit enter.  The other option was saving to hard drive.

pilonv1

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2010, 06:18:53 PM »

Nope.  It's weird.

You can use Fraps, but like Hitler said, you'll have to be constantly recording to catch a random event.  Having the last 30 seconds saved is just a nice feature.

Ridiculous. No interest in playing this on PS3 with that controller. PC would be much better if it had the 30sec buffer but I guess I'll go with 360 then.
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »
I'm kind of torn.  The replay thing is something I've always wanted in a sandbox game because of all the crazy unscripted events that happen (and anything with destruction; aka WHY IS THIS NOT IN MOTORSTORM STILL)  But after playing RFG @ 60fps @ 1080p on PC, I don't think I can go back to Sandbox games at 30fps or less and full of jaggies.  So, I think I may just go PC. 

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »
I don't think I'm going to download the demo.  I want to experience the full awesomeness when I buy it.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
On second thought, I'll probably go with the 360 regardless just because I'd much rather play with 360 controller over the dualshock 2.  I have a thing about that damn PS3 controller......

It'll suck not having the 30 sec buffer, especially since I like to capture a lot of shit just for the hell of it, but I suppose I can just turn on my Hauppauge and let the fucker run if I ever want to get serious about making some JC2 videos - plus they'd be in HD if I do it that way.
Tacos

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2010, 04:27:50 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

cool breeze

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
Demo is coming out tomorrow on 360 and PC (Steam), PS3 on Thursday

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
JC2 demo tomorrow, BC2 today.....it's like mana from heaven.
Tacos

pilonv1

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
I'm going to avoid the JC2 demo and most impressions, except from my favourite fegs like hitler and xfe
itm

cool breeze

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
I'm just going to check out how the PC version is.  It's supposed to be limited by size and time, but supposedly it would last longer with the more chaos you create.

uh, apparently they just posted what is exclusive* to the PC verison

Enhanced DirectX10 and 10.1 render path
Support for 32Bit and 64Bit Windows 7 and Vista
Optimized for Dual and Quad Core Processors
Certified for Nvidia 3D Vision (Not available on console)
Support for Window and Full Screen modes
Enhanced for SLi
Enhanced for Crossfire
Enhanced for multi-screen setup (Not available on console)
Full Keyboard and Mouse support
Xbox360 Controller Support
Enhanced GPU Water effect for Nvidia Systems (Not available on console)
Enhanced Bokeh filter for Nvidia Systems (Not available on console)
Increased detail setting (Not available on console)
Soft Shadows (Not available on console)
Soft Particles (Not available on console)
Point Specular (Not available on console)
SSAO (Not available on console)
Benchmark Mode (Not available on console)
DLC support via Steamworks
Achievements via Steamworks
Auto patching via Steamworks
Ability to chat to other gamers via Steamworks while playing

*no past 30 second auto record...lame

Point Specular...Bokeh Filter...what

and seems like quad core is recommend

Does Just Cause 2 make full use of Quad Core CPUs? Do you scale even higher than four? And what exactly are you offloading? Does a Quad Core CPU have a dedicated thread for say physics, whereas a Dual Core has physics lumped in with AI, perhaps lowering overall performance?

The game is optimized for Quad Core, you need a Dual Core as the minimum configuration. The game divides its work to several different threads running in parallel to take advantage of multiple processor cores. This results in better performance on machines with more CPU cores available, for example rendering and world update is on separate threads, so that the next frame is updated parallel to the old being rendered.

requires DX10 (meaning vista or win7) too
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:57:15 PM by swaggaz »

Stoney Mason

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2010, 08:03:54 AM »
Downlooooooooooooooooooooooooading now. 1% looks so tiny.

cool breeze

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 08:07:44 AM »
I blame the PS3 for why this wasn't out yesterday, and why it's out on a day full of classes  :'(

Stoney Mason

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »
lulz.

There is a lot of jankiness and a lot of fun. It wouldn't be a purchase for me but its definitely an excited rental.

Feels similar in concept to Red Faction although I'm not sure it is as solid as that game was in general. Your real goal is to run from settlement to settlement to cause as much "chaos" i.e. destrction as possible. Very much an open world design as you can approach any area any way you want.

The always on grappling hook and parachute are a terrific idea. It's like a new school bionic commando. You use it for everything. To get anywhere and to do pretty much anything.

The fun in general comes through all the crazy shit that can happen. You can be causing chaos in a helicopter on the ground below. Then they send a helicopter after you. Then you grapple to that helicopter. Kill everybody in it and and take it over. Then you parachute out. Grapple to another helicopter, etc, etc. There is a lot crazy fun shit that happens as you are doing this stuff in real time.

The animations in general aren't great. The voice work is laughable, but clearly that isn't the point of this game. It's about the open world design and doing the fun stuff as it occurs and from the demo it seems pretty fun in that aspect. Not sure if its gonna work for hours at a stretch but its pretty fun for the alloted time in that demo. 30 minute demo btw.

I didn't like how the motorcycles controlled which was a bit of a bummer. All the other vehicles felt good except for those. Hopefully once you upgrade them they control better or some of the other bikes feel better. Definitely interested to play the full title.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:10:37 AM by Stoney Mason »

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »
Can't wait to give this a shot when I get home tonight.  Being a JC1 junkie, JC2 would have to be janky beyond all repair for me not to be able to appreciate it.
Tacos

Stoney Mason

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:17 AM »
Can't wait to give this a shot when I get home tonight.  Being a JC1 junkie, JC2 would have to be janky beyond all repair for me not to be able to appreciate it.

If you enjoyed the first its probably no more janky than that so it shouldn't bother you and its a general improvement over the first. As a general comment all open world games have a degree of jank and are less polished than non-open world games so take that in context.

My impression is that if somebody really likes open world design then they will probably like this a lot. If they prefer a more consistent cohesive experiece, they will probably like this a lot less. I personally lean toward the more consistent cohesive side, but even I was having fun doing a lot of the free form stuff that happens. I don't know that any one bit of it is technically great for that one bit, but when you put it all together it does make for a pretty unique and fun experience. 

Jansen

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2010, 04:32:09 PM »
runs great on my comp. might have to cancel 360 preorder and get it for pc...

cool breeze

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2010, 05:04:45 PM »
Just saying, Amazon gives $15 for all three versions of the game.

For the PC version, the game is one of those games you can register on steam (apparently) which means all you need to do is enter your CD key and steam would recognize it as a purchase, then you can download it whenever from Steam even without the DVD.

pilonv1

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2010, 05:41:39 PM »
Those PC features are amazing. I wonder how my 5770 will handle it.
itm

Jansen

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2010, 07:03:49 PM »
i have a 5770

runs really well with these settings @ 1680x1050. never had it dip below 45fps.

pilonv1

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »
My screen is 1080p. I usually go with minimal AA and AF.

Whats your CPU?
itm

cool breeze

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »
Demo is pretty awesome.  Happy that the PC version has 360 controller support because the kb/m controls are pretty bad.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
I cant believe you paid all that money to run a game at Medium. I bet that was worth it
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2010, 07:37:08 PM »
He could probably go higher, then it would drop to 30fps or something.  I just checked and maxing out everything on my computer makes it hover around 40.  I'm content with everything on High (instead of very high) and it running at 60+ smooth.

haha, apparently the grapple is gimped in the demo.  in the full game you can attack moving cars to the road and fuck them up.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:39:41 PM by swaggaz »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »
i played through the 360 demo's time limit this evening, pretty fun stuff

i don't like using the RB to sprint, though, and it looks like you can't remap it :(
sup

Bebpo

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2010, 08:16:45 PM »
Not really feeling it.  It's ok, but coming from RFG the destruction is very unsatisfying.  Also I thought the demo was the sky diving demo?  The demo is missing the skydiving with relaxing music into the sunset that the first game had.  I preferred the tropical paradise from JC1 to...desert as well.

I dunno, I think it might be that I haven't played JC1 since like X360 launch window, so maybe JC gameplay doesn't hold up that well nowadays. 
Hopefully it's just a weak demo.

Looks pretty nice, but yeah the PC version needs a hella of a rig.  I went with keeping things on low end to get 60fps rather than medium/high-end and get 20-30fps.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »
Loved the JC2 demo but then again I'm one of the insane few that actually liked the first game.  Seems like more of the same 'cept dialed to 11.  I really can't wait to get the full game just so I can fly all over the place.  The enviornment looks gorgeous.
Tacos

Bebpo

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2010, 08:20:50 PM »
I loved JC1 as well.  It was a gorgeous game and really fun.  Would jump in choppers and fly into the stratosphere and jump down and glide around the island world.  Did the JC2 demo have choppers hiding around anywhere?  Because I looked and couldn't find any flying vehicles.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2010, 08:25:20 PM »
There's a chopper at a compound right below the area where the demo starts out at.  Just parasail northwest and you'll run into the place but as soon as you get into it all hell breaks loose.
Tacos

cool breeze

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »
there is a plane in there.  You can surf on it :rock

Bebpo

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:13 PM »
Yeah, gave it another try.  Grabbed some flying vehicles and flew around.  Wrecked havoc. 
I've played the demo through twice, but I haven't done a single story mission yet. 

I saw somebody took pictures of water?  There's water in the demo area?  I couldn't find any >_<

Wish this ran better on my rig, can run with everything on 1080p medium including SSAO at like 20-30fps on my 9800GTX+.  I get the feeling my card will not be good enough for this DX10/DX11 only PC gaming future.  Will upgrade next time prices drop on videocards.

cool breeze

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »
[youtube=560,345]qn_9gNt8hNU[/youtube]

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »
Yeah, gave it another try.  Grabbed some flying vehicles and flew around.  Wrecked havoc. 
I've played the demo through twice, but I haven't done a single story mission yet. 

I saw somebody took pictures of water?  There's water in the demo area?  I couldn't find any >_<

Wish this ran better on my rig, can run with everything on 1080p medium including SSAO at like 20-30fps on my 9800GTX+.  I get the feeling my card will not be good enough for this DX10/DX11 only PC gaming future.  Will upgrade next time prices drop on videocards.

There's a little sliver of water that you can access in the demo.  If you look at your map it'll be on the east side near a small village. And try stealing a jeep and taking it off-road.  You can take some pretty crazy jumps with one of those.

One thing that's bugging me about the demo is that I'm not seeing any day/night cycle going on.  Call me crazy, but one of the things I liked about the first JC game was how beautiful the day to night progression was and how you could see weather patterns forming in the distance.  I hope they didn't remove that part of the engine.
Tacos

patrickula

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2010, 11:12:15 PM »
Fun demo, I played it twice and wanted to go again... so that's a good sign.  I died a bit more than I'd have liked but I could have been less reckless.  I'd really like to see some of the other environments.  The graphics are gorgeous and runs really well on my rig, which is good but not top of the line.  I turned off Ambient Occlusion because it was producing some weird artifacts on the ground in various places while hurting the frame rate a bit.
I would like to see more RFG-like destruction but this game runs better while looking better... and it's a truly open world.  The physics are ridiculous, but I'm not going to complain.  It's fun!

HSMP: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45167998@N05/4289825505/ looks like a day/night cycle.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:17:06 PM by patrickula »

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2010, 11:26:55 PM »
Tacos

patrickula

« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2010, 11:31:40 PM »
HSMP: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45167998@N05/4289825505/ looks like a day/night cycle.

Awesome. :rock
1:40 in this video also, weather a bit earlier too  :drool
[youtube=560,345]MZCvoXNv8zM[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:33:57 PM by patrickula »

Bebpo

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2010, 11:40:47 PM »
Fun demo, I played it twice and wanted to go again... so that's a good sign.  I died a bit more than I'd have liked but I could have been less reckless.  I'd really like to see some of the other environments.  The graphics are gorgeous and runs really well on my rig, which is good but not top of the line.  I turned off Ambient Occlusion because it was producing some weird artifacts on the ground in various places while hurting the frame rate a bit.
I would like to see more RFG-like destruction but this game runs better while looking better... and it's a truly open world.  The physics are ridiculous, but I'm not going to complain.  It's fun!

Hmm, weird.  If I turned off AO, RFG ran at a perfect 60fps maxed on mine.  Which is why it's hard for me to get used to this at 20-30fps with less destruction.  JC2 definitely is much better looking though.
Then again I heard RFG's framerate depends more on CPU because of the geomod, whereas JC2 is GPU dependant.  My CPU is top of the line, my GPU is old news >_<

Gonna give the demo a third run and check out the water.  I really should download the X360 demo because it might run better there and be the best option for me.

Awesome. :rock
1:40 in this video also, weather a bit earlier too  :drool
[youtube=560,345]MZCvoXNv8zM[/youtube]

Full game looks like amazing fun.

patrickula

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2010, 11:50:53 PM »
Hmm, weird.  If I turned off AO, RFG ran at a perfect 60fps maxed on mine.  Which is why it's hard for me to get used to this at 20-30fps with less destruction.  JC2 definitely is much better looking though.
Then again I heard RFG's framerate depends more on CPU because of the geomod, whereas JC2 is GPU dependant.  My CPU is top of the line, my GPU is old news >_<
I think I left AO on in RFG as it didn't make a huge difference for me.  My CPU is a bit more behind the times than my GPU so that would probably explain the difference, as you've guessed.  My 8800GT died and I replaced it with a GTX 275 fairly recently...  my processor is an oldish intel quad core, Q6600.  Major destruction definitely had an effect on the framerate.

cool breeze

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 11:54:55 PM »
yeah, if a game is more cpu dependent, it's not a good thing, especially the games that really require  a quad-core cpu.

Bebpo

« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »
Found the water.  Pretty nice looking, though honestly it just looks like the nice water in the first game ^^;  (very high + nvidia water = on).  Crysis still has the best looking water imo.
Freed 3 settlements.  I think the trick is to find all the collectathon items in the non-hostile ones before you start shooting.

Is it just me or do most of the cars/bikes go really slow in this section?  I found a taxi once that was super fast, but most of the cars have been ridiculously slow.  That combined with his slow run speed means I'm basically grappling -> parachute all the time.

One thing that I hope they improve in a patch or something is the camera controls when parachuting.  I reaaaally do not remember them being so bad at seeing where you are going in the first game.

I think I left AO on in RFG as it didn't make a huge difference for me.  My CPU is a bit more behind the times than my GPU so that would probably explain the difference, as you've guessed.  My 8800GT died and I replaced it with a GTX 275 fairly recently...  my processor is an oldish intel quad core, Q6600.  Major destruction definitely had an effect on the framerate.

Yeah, AO kills my framerate in RFG.  It goes from 60fps with it off to 15-25fps with it on.  AO kills my framerate in JC2 but I really think it looks a lot nicer with it on at least "low".

cool breeze

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2010, 02:17:17 AM »
hey hitler, there is a way to adjust time of day in the demo.  in the area you start the demo, just wait around for the time to change.  the 30 minute time limit doesn't start until you leave that zone.

some pictures (in spoiler box because they're big):

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Jansen

« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2010, 02:31:53 AM »
pfft if i turn everything all the way up i still get 40+fps but i'd rather turn shit down and stay as close to 60fps as possible.

i really wanted to get this for 360 in order to earn some cheevs but all the screentearing has turned me away.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the pics swaggaz.  Looks incredible.

And Bebpo, try to steal one of the jeeps.  They're incredibly fast and very fun to drive, especially off road where you can take some amazing jumps.  If I get a chance later on today I'll put up a video and show you what I'm talking about.
Tacos

Cravis

« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2010, 12:59:49 PM »
I cannot wait! In addition to the $15 game credit mentioned above Amazon also has release date delivery for this.

Jansen

« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2010, 05:43:38 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/plbx6p

v-synced and triple buffered using d3doverrider

:bow pc version :bow2
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:00:30 PM by Jansen »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »
I had a lot of fun with the demo. Seems like a great rental game.

Rental games are great, because you can play just a little AND ensure that you never see a sequel.
:cry

Beezy

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2010, 12:43:04 AM »
Okay I want this. The demo is probably the most fun I've ever had with a sandbox game. :lol

cool breeze

« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2010, 01:42:30 AM »
[youtube=560,345]eMr4q2DaA2Q[/youtube]

:lol

unfortunately you can't regain control when you reenter

i think that's the hacked demo, btw.  people fond ways to remove the time limit and distance limiter, which is why he can get up so high.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »
Played the demo for a bit and, yeah, it's pretty awesome. I found a helicopter on the ground, go in it, flew around, got shot down by another helicopter, hijacked it, and then shot down the other helicopter then sent out to take me down. Also, I grappled to the top of this tower and then blew up a gas station with a grenade launcher. :rock
dog

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2010, 09:54:59 PM »
Basically. This is what GTA4 should have been. It's the real successor to San Andreas.
nat

pilonv1

« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2010, 12:38:40 AM »
Fuck it's hard to do the gas cannister shoot -> grapple hook jump that was in that gif.

Get decent performance on max settings with my 5770. Will drop some stuff down (take of SSAO for example) and should be perfect.

PC + 360 controller = win.
itm

cool breeze

« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2010, 12:42:09 AM »
It's actually really easy.  Grapple near the top, then shoot it while holding onto it.

wait, I wonder what I would happen if I grapple the canister to another canister, then shoot both of them while I'm on one...I need to test this

Beezy

« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2010, 12:42:46 AM »
Fuck it's hard to do the gas cannister shoot -> grapple hook jump that was in that gif.
It's easy once you get the timing down. How do you grapple people to shit?

cool breeze

« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2010, 12:43:40 AM »
It's easy once you get the timing down. How do you grapple people to shit?

Hold down the grapple button

guess you can't do a chain grapple and a regular grapple at the same time  :'(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:45:45 AM by swaggaz »