Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1804824 times)

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
yeah it's not a mystery, it's just misguided pride
itm

etiolate

Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #2701 on: January 27, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »
I am not sure they want the same bro games that the 360 gets. They just don't want to be blamed for lack of sales when third parties offer the console a lot of shovelware and hand-me-downs.

There's this weird forum mentality of pride for buying games, even if it reinforces bad publishing habits. If the Wii audience buys the lightgun hand me down ports of main games then they get credit for 'hardcoreness' but they also reward publishers for laziness, and aren't really paying for what they want. They're paying for the potential of later getting what they want.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:41:20 PM by etiolate »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #2702 on: January 27, 2010, 10:54:51 PM »
What do you mean by "bro" games?  Games like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, etc are mostly story-driven and they're also huge budget third party games that were fairly big gambles for the publishers in terms of making back the money. The Wii won't get something like that this generation.  I just hope the Wii2 has modern graphics.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
What do they want? What makes them think that they can sway publishers while being .05% of the market? Send them PMs, tell them to buy consoles that have the games they want.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
I think what many are forgetting is that resident evil came out budget priced at $30.  Even if you look at japanese sales charts Animal Crossing City Folk will pop up from time to time because it price collapsed to a point where it became an impulse purchase.  I think this is the biggest financial hurdle that developers are facing with the wii.  Unless you are nintendo, your game needs to not be 40-50 dollars if you want it to have legs.  I'm guessing boom blox would have done much better at $30ish, it did alright at 50ish.
sad

etiolate

« Reply #2705 on: January 27, 2010, 11:10:20 PM »
What do they want?

They just don't want to be blamed for lack of sales when third parties offer the console a lot of shovelware and hand-me-downs.

But

What I want is for people to realize the current schism of markets doesn't include gamers at all. Just two opposite mainstreams. Which side people pick has more to do with consumerism than games.

So, you'd realize that

tell them to buy consoles that have the games they want.

doesn't really exist.

AdmiralViscen

Yea whatever dude.

This made me laugh: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19507006&postcount=10

They're even begging for C-list content on other consoles. But no, this desire doesn't exist :lol

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
That's a good point, Pachter raised it and it's not seen because all anyone ever focuses on is units sold.

I'id wager the average price of a non Nintendo title on Wii would be drastically lower than other platforms. They need to be priced like impulse purchases as you say because that's the type of customer they're attracting.
itm

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2708 on: January 28, 2010, 12:56:03 AM »
http://supergroove.ytmnd.com/

:usavich :usavich :usavich

that was awesome, love a smooth ghetto tek jam

Green Shinobi

so, uh, susan sarandon showed up and spanked people dressed as pigs at an Of Montreal show

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

The guitar solo in that video was pretty legit. Kinda Johnny Greenwood-esque. I'd love to see those guys in concert at some point. The only album I have is Hissing Fauna, what's some other good stuff to listen to by them?

AdmiralViscen

This thread offers some great insight:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19491770&postcount=123

I just play the games, man

The interview in the OP is actually kind of interesting though. It's funny to see that the divine deity of Nintendo fans didn't know that Link's Awakening included chain chomps and goombas. But if you skip to the end you can see all kinds of design sketches for the first Zelda.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:15:54 AM by AdmiralViscen »

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19507006&postcount=10

The interview in the OP is actually kind of interesting though. It's funny to see that the divine deity of Nintendo fans didn't know that Link's Awakening included chain chomps and goombas. But if you skip to the end you can see all kinds of design sketches for the first Zelda.

I think you just pasted your link you did in your last post.
sad

AdmiralViscen

edited

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #2713 on: January 28, 2010, 09:31:23 AM »
I remember reading one of the early ones and it sucked. Do all the recent ones include cool design sketchew and stuff?

Beezy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19491770&postcount=123

I read that thread yesterday and rolled my eyes when I saw that. The Link's Awakening and original Zelda stories in that article were really cool though. Too bad they can't just randomly use other Nintendo characters for their games anymore. :lol

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
so, uh, susan sarandon showed up and spanked people dressed as pigs at an Of Montreal show

The guitar solo in that video was pretty legit. Kinda Johnny Greenwood-esque. I'd love to see those guys in concert at some point. The only album I have is Hissing Fauna, what's some other good stuff to listen to by them?

Hissing Fauna is my favorite of theirs, but Skeletal Lamping is also good, but a bit weirder.  The older catalog is pretty good, but it doesn't click with me like Fauna
Tonya

archie4208

Robo

Skeletal Lamping cooled on me after a few months.  Those lyrics are just too much; they're totally insane and hilarious, but it doesn't last.
obo

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Skeletal Lamping cooled on me after a few months.  Those lyrics are just too much; they're totally insane and hilarious, but it doesn't last.

i like it but my go to album of theirs is still Hissing Fauna.  it just works so much better together as an album
Tonya

Beezy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19513084&postcount=1624

Welp.  Better not be critical of Apple!

He banned someone else for saying he over reacted.

Jesus christ.
I told you Vennt is trigger happy. I hate when he's around.

archie4208

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19514226&postcount=620

Why do I torture myself and read Nintendo related threads? :/

Powerslave

archie4208

Is that a NintendosBooger copy/paste? :rofl

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Is that a NintendosBooger copy/paste? :rofl

It could easily be one, couldn't it? :lol
dog

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #2725 on: January 28, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19514226&postcount=620

Why do I torture myself and read Nintendo related threads? :/

he is right

HD devs are making concessions to broaden appeal? LOL

Powerslave

he is right in the sense that videogames as a whole has become shit with one generic title after the other. Now this has been the case since the beginning of videogames but the difference now is that shit games are generally praised and considered 'great' or even 'one of the best'.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #2727 on: January 28, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I could maybe agree if nintendo had made more than 1 Wii game with the effort and creativity that they commonly used 10 years ago.

A choice between dozens of fun yet thematically similar games and one game every two years is no choice at all. Wii is doing nothing for a gamer.

Of course, thats accepting the notion that the 'space marine' category that includes everything from halo to gears to mass effect is more generic than 50 mario spinoffs
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:21:39 PM by AdmiralViscen »

Powerslave

Oh but I never intended to agree with his last line. I am not too familiar with wii games in general. It's funny how 1 line stands out more than the rest of his post to some of you guys.

The standards for entertainment have seriously been lowered lately in some cases, and for quite some time I believe that this is the 'fault' of the new generation of writers/developers/every other job not just because they suck, but primarly because they can't help that they suck, the majority of people just aren't capable anymore to come with truly genius and iconic ideas. Kosma's recent thread about that article that went more in depth about this confirmed my belief even more.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
The young pledge said she was told the beatings would "humble" her, that each flesh-rending strike with a wooden paddle would build love and trust between sorority sisters.

It wasn’t hazing, she said they told her. The women of Sigma Gamma Rho at Rutgers University didn’t condone hazing.

For seven nights the beatings went on, she said. In all, she was struck 201 times. On the eighth day — unable to sit, her buttocks covered with blood clots and welts — she went to the hospital. Then she reported it to the university.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/rutgers_sorority_members_hazin.html

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
The young pledge said she was told the beatings would "humble" her, that each flesh-rending strike with a wooden paddle would build love and trust between sorority sisters.

It wasn’t hazing, she said they told her. The women of Sigma Gamma Rho at Rutgers University didn’t condone hazing.

For seven nights the beatings went on, she said. In all, she was struck 201 times. On the eighth day — unable to sit, her buttocks covered with blood clots and welts — she went to the hospital. Then she reported it to the university.

I can't believe she didn't bail on them long before then. Is it really worth all that just to be "part of the group"?
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Powerslave

You are such a genius troll everbody is impressed!!!!!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
You are such a genius troll everbody is impressed!!!!!

Haters gonna hate.

And now, Act 2!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19515980&postcount=639
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon
nice

this one is better:

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
look at all that purple!

Flannel Boy

• Icon
The graph confirms that they hated each other after '67.  :lol

Robo

Poor George; almost all of his bars are totally solid.
obo

Flannel Boy

• Icon
I was trying to figure out who contributed to "Savoy Truffle." According to wiki, "many of the lyrics from a box of Mackintosh's Good News chocolates." Thus, a box of chocolates contributed more to the composition of a Harrison song than McCartney ever did. 

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #2740 on: January 28, 2010, 03:44:59 PM »
Octopus's Garden  :lol

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator

Bitches is crazy.
©@©™

Robo

I was trying to figure out who contributed to "Savoy Truffle." According to wiki, "many of the lyrics from a box of Mackintosh's Good News chocolates." Thus, a box of chocolates contributed more to the composition of a Harrison song than McCartney ever did. 

Ya know, didn't McCartney play the opening solo and lead guitar on Taxman?  I'm surprised that isn't credited as much as it adds to the song.  Lennon gets credit for just a few suggested words.

Although considering individual instrumental contributions as a part of "authorship" would probably make that chart much more colorful.  For instance, supposedly Ringo came up with the drum part of Tomorrow Never Knows and McCartney contributed heavily to the loops.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:29:01 PM by RoboJ »
obo

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Ya know, didn't McCartney play the opening solo and lead guitar on Taxman?  I'm surprised that isn't credited as much as it adds to the song.  Lennon gets credit for just a few suggested words.

But he didn't write the solo.

edit: An instrumental graph would be interesting, especially for songs off of the White Album.

edit 2: Though I guess you could give Paul a credit for all the bass lines, which enhanced many Harrison or Lennon compositions.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:35:04 PM by Malek J. Lumberjack Jr. »

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
local news flashed up a FOOT OF SNOW over the weekend and the entire area is behaving like it's armageddon. I am going to go out tonight and get into fights over gallons of milk, wish me luck.
hex

Powerslave

If movie posters told the truth:

http://www.listal.com/list/m-p-t-t-t

:lol :lol :lol

Something Awful has a giant library with these sort of things.

drew

• sy
« Reply #2747 on: January 28, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »
[youtube=560,345]qpVTUdfcEMg[/youtube]

:rofl
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:31:06 PM by drew »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
omfg that was fucking awesome

makes me want to watch that show (after checking out what it is on wikipedia)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:31:36 PM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
CBG

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
stolen from gaf
Tomohiro Katō has admitted responsibility and apologized in court on Thursday for killing seven and injuring 10 in a 2008 hit-and-run and stabbing rampage in Tokyo's otaku shopping district of Akihabara (Akiba).

According to the Mainichi Daily News paper, the 27-year-old man said during the first day of his trial in the Tokyo Disrict Court, "Although there are some points in the indictment I have no recollection of, there is no doubt that I am the criminal and that I committed the crime." He added during his plea, "I first would like to use this opportunity to offer an apology. I am deeply sorry to the people who died, those who were injured, and to the bereaved family members."

Katō faces the death penalty for the worst mass murder case in Japan in seven years. The man reportedly struck five individuals with a truck at an intersection near the main Japan Railways station of Akihabara at around 12:35 p.m. on June 8, 2008. He then allegedly proceeded to leave the vehicle and stab 12 people on the streets. Police apprehended the suspect on a side street shortly after the incident.

According to the police and Jiji Press, a message, titled "I will kill people in Akihabara," was posted on a mobile phone bulletin board about seven hours before the incident. The message reportedly read:

I Will Kill People in Akihabara

06/08 05:21

I will come barging in with a vehicle, and if I can't use the vehicle, I will use a knife. Farewell, everyone.

Kato was born in Aomori Prefecture in northern Japan, but lived in Shizuoka Prefecture's Susono City in central Japan before the incident. He sent an apology letter to one of the victims, 56-year-old taxi driver Hiroshi Yuasa, in November. Katō wrote, "However much I repent, however much I apologize will never be enough to make things right, and since my crime deserves death 10,000 times I think I will be sentenced to death." He added that the victims' pain "must be something like the uncontrollable anger I felt when my online self was killed on the forum I spent all my time on by trolls."

A hit-and-run and stabbing rampage sounds pretty badass actually.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
CBG

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

:lol :lol :lol :lol

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
Russian yachts to offer "pirate hunting" cruises off Somali coast

http://www.gadling.com/2009/06/29/russian-yachts-to-offer-pirate-hunting-cruises-off-somali-coas/

when do we leave? :tophat

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Russian yachts to offer "pirate hunting" cruises off Somali coast

http://www.gadling.com/2009/06/29/russian-yachts-to-offer-pirate-hunting-cruises-off-somali-coas/

when do we leave? :tophat

The free market works!!
___

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
that sounds awesome as hell

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19528251&postcount=1266

finally someone speaks out on this poster's bullshit.

such a fucking terrible poster

Robo

Yesss, my GAF ban is up!  See ya, suckers!
obo