General > The Superdeep Borehole

Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads

(1/1289) > >>

ManaByte:
Anyone still read weekly/monthly comics? Use this thread to post what you're reading or recommend something that's worth reading. 

ManaByte:
Batman RIP kind of soured me to Batman for a while. Been reading Supes with the latest "New Krypton" storyline, and it's pretty good. Bainiac breaks open Kandor and there are now 100,000 Kryptonians on Earth...and they kill off Pa Kent again too.

Also the artists are drawing Supes to look like Christopher Reeve now, which is pretty cool:
http://i49.tinypic.com/nved6u.jpg

The Fake Shemp:
I've bailed out. Brubaker aside, most of the spandex stuff blows, and Marvel and DC have done a complete turnaround from their "no crossover, limited continuity" mandates that drew back readers in the early aughts. It's all events and crossovers and it's totally ridiculous. I can't wait for one of them to go belly up.

ManaByte:
I REALLY can't stand Marvel. Their comics are just $5 ads for the latest Marvel movie or DVD.

"Spidey is in a black suit in the new movie, what do we do?"

"Um. Change him into the black suit in the comics during the run of the film, then change it back! It'll push ticket sales!"

"But how do we explain it?"

"Shoot Aunt May again and say he's in mourning!"

Like I said, Batman RIP was just stupid. It was as dumb as killing off Captain America to make a statement.

But New Krypton and Blackest Night are both great. They're storylines (and crossovers) that really fit well in the mythos of the core books they spring from. That's what people want to see, not stupid zombie/skrull crossovers just for the fun of seeing Spidey fight Wolverine.

Maybe because with DC being linked to Warner they feel more stable and safer to do standard stuff and not rely as much on gimmicks. Marvel is just sad and it's only a matter of time before they return to holofoiljizz covers.

Cormacaroni:
I really can't tell any difference between Marvel and DC; the point at which you care is the point past which you become "fanboy", I'm afraid (where you start liking/disliking books because of who publishes them). They both have practically identical strategies, as far as I can see.

I haven't much to recommend, recently. Terry Moore's Echo is good stuff, but not "buttonhole strangers on the street" level. It's about a woman who randomly becomes fused to part of a super-suit and has no idea why. The vibe is similar to Paul Chadwick's "Concrete", I guess. Quite low-key, with occasional bouts of action (which means when something happens, it actually has some impact).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version