Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 829172 times)

kingv

Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #5820 on: July 30, 2019, 08:12:18 PM »
You should tank him for saving the failing Superman.

Tasty

« Reply #5821 on: July 30, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
You should tank him for saving the failing Superman.

What?

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #5822 on: July 30, 2019, 11:15:42 PM »
https://screenrant.com/xmen-reboot-marvel-comic-fake/

The story in House of X #1 seems to kick off roughly six months after the current X-Men run, and it reveals that the resurrected Charles Xavier has apparently established a mutant nation. This is centered on a living island in the Pacific named Krakoa, and he's planted embassies all over the world - and even a couple offworld. Humanity has been persuaded to accept this because of the offer of Krakoan plants that have helpful health effects on humans, including miracle drugs. But is everything what it seems to be?

Spoilers:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
House of X #1 opens with one of the strangest sequences in X-Men comics to date. The first two pages see a mysterious figure standing in a Krakoan growth. Pods open, and mutants emerge - including one who's recognizable as Cyclops, because of the crimson energy shimmering from his eyes. The mutants are all naked, and they crawl across the ground towards the black-clad, helmeted figure, who's clearly pleased with his work. "To me, my X-Men," the man says, a line famously associated with Charles Xavier.

Throughout House of X #1, the X-Men feel strangely out-of-character.

Looked at through a critical eye, it's clear that there is something badly wrong with the X-Men. They appear to have embraced the isolationist ways of Magneto rather than the integrationist dream of Charles Xavier. The scenes with Jean Grey feel strange, not least because she sees Wolverine playing with the kids. This is reminiscent of one moment in Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run, where Wolverine's mind was being manipulated. What's really going on?

In Excalibur #31, Nightcrawler found himself stranded on another Krakoan island. There, he learned that the first Krakoa had absorbed the genetic codes of every being it encountered. The Krakoa encountered by Nightcrawler had fashioned pods in which it created exact duplicates of the X-Men as servants. These pods are identical to the ones shown in House of X's introductory sequence, strongly suggesting that the world isn't dealing with the X-Men at all. That would explain why Cyclops has both eyes, why Jean Grey is in the Marvel Girl costume she wore when she first crossed paths with Krakoa, and why a number of characters are back from the dead. They're all mutants who've encountered a Krakoa before. Meanwhile, notice that "Professor Xavier" never takes off his helmet, suggesting he has something to hide.

It's looks as though Jonathan Hickman's X-Men reboot is a fake-out; that this isn't an X-Men relaunch at all, but an invasion by Krakoa.
[close]

:mindblown if true, holy shit.  But looking ahead it seems like this also may not necessarily be the case. :thinking

Yea i checked this out and had a similar reaction

Xavier no longer giving a fuck and mostly going with Magneto's view is very interesting but is something that wouldnt last i feel.

So if there is some bullshit going on that's causing this then i could believe it.  :doge

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5823 on: July 31, 2019, 02:41:18 AM »
Sandman Mystery Theatre :leon

what an awful name for a book though even if it is accurate, I always remembered seeing those covers wondering what the fuck it was

ol Wesley Dodds wins over his girl (who thinks he's dumped her for the villain) by going down on her by halfway point of the fourth story  :pitbull

they never told me that part in JSA

benjipwns

« Reply #5824 on: July 31, 2019, 06:29:28 AM »
also I was reading post-Rebirth Batgirl collected editions and got to the part that gators were complaining about where the transwoman and the ciswoman who are married are fighting over whether or not to have a kid and it didn't really make sense to me because I forgot they weren't just lesbians since that was like way back when New 52 started, so I'm actually happy they had the stupid part about the transwoman being misgendered who proceeds to get mad at her wife when she says "we'll get through this" :lol

but the best part is how the person who misgendered the transwoman was their FERTILITY DOCTOR :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #5825 on: August 03, 2019, 12:36:52 AM »
The Wicked + The Divine's writing is kinda awful, and the whole pop star thing is kinda stupid, shame because part of this premise is pretty interesting but so much of the first two books are all "BIG MYSTERY THING. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT FOR PAGES. HERE'S A VAGUE REVEAL. OH LOOK, IT'S THE MOST OBVIOUS THING. CHECK OUT THIS DOPE ART. :doge"

also who in the fucking world says "finger clicks" for snapping your fingers?!? :mindblown

edit: semi-twist in the third book is alright, probably will read the rest of this even if I'm having to re-read some panels because it's written in fucking Slayvengrish it's only supposed to reach 45 issues and #44 just came out

got three books of the Runaways reboot up next, kinda crazy how many of these the local library network is getting, and so quickly, like they've got Drowned Earth already and not just basic DC/Marvel, like all of Saga, I've got the second book of Oblivion Song too; they probably have digital stuff too I've never bothered with e-books or streaming but I know they have those too...

so like JordanN says, try checking out your local library  :american

I really should just finish Sandman Mystery Theatre before starting more stuff :doge
[close]

edit2: lol

lmao next page

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:53:40 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #5826 on: August 06, 2019, 05:18:19 PM »
ultimately, The Wicked + The Divine was alright-ish, and that's with the epilogue issue still to come, lots of meandering and a totally stupid ending, so so much making it up as they go

plus, the fans are weirdos

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5827 on: August 09, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »
https://www.cbr.com/house-of-x-moira-mactaggert-mutant-powers/

:dizzy

Hickman just made Moira both a mutant and the most important X character.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5828 on: August 09, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »
Yeah I was reading that. :lol I'm actually in love with the concept. I like everything I've read so far about PoX and HoX.

kingv

« Reply #5829 on: August 09, 2019, 03:12:48 PM »
I’m curious how it gets resolved.

That type of twist seems like it could really you into some stuff over time and be a bitch to write around unless it’s retconned at the end back to the previous status quo

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5830 on: August 10, 2019, 06:37:23 AM »
it’s retconned at the end back to the previous status quo

spoilers, breh!

benjipwns

« Reply #5831 on: August 17, 2019, 07:12:36 PM »
stuff i read

from Alan Moore's America Best Comics:
Terra Obscura - I actually liked this more than I liked Tom Strong, shame he didn't do more with this instead of
Promethea - holy crap jerk yourself off much Alan? outside of that it was pretty okayish

Mister Miracle (Tom King miniseries) - Barda, I don't think your condo can be rebuilt to that extent, are you going to use a Mother Box for all this because I don't see how otherwise? plus I really don't think the association would allow you to remake the whole thing like that

Kurt Busiek's Astro City (whole series) - wonderful, although getting cut short because of DC canning Vertigo does suck at least they have some kind of plan for finishing off the few little plot threads along with expanding more

Elementals - it's hard to believe this is by Bill Willingham (Fables) and how it gets put on so many "greatest series never read" lists because dear god it is awful, the writing is just plain bad in a bad way, I can't believe the publisher paid for the rights to it and tried to continue it, also that nobody's ever brought up Willingham's response to a reader who told him it sucked ("I refuse to be your art-distinguished black fellow" really)

also did finish Sandman Mystery Theatre which also very awesome, hate that it similarly died early due to DC, so rushed things at the end, Black Label should look into doing more series like that from a standpoint of returning characters to when they debuted and writing them back in that era rather than the constantly moving forward of comic book time into the present

having also read some original 1980s Suicide Squad with Reagan and everything these combined to make me think there could also be something amusing or interesting about setting a series of say, Superman or whatever back just post-Crisis again but it also being literally 1985 again and moving forward in the actual years, it could even jump ahead into certain years, but if it was 2019 for example everyone is 34 years older rather than "five years" or whatever the stupid screw up conceit was of the New 52 which led to Batman having four Robins in six years all of the same age but also them aging forward properly to fit the real time of their introduction decades ago, Dick's age needs as Nightwing, etc.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5832 on: August 18, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »
Astro Citys great; like Planetary it holds up on its own, but also works as a metacomic

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5833 on: August 18, 2019, 12:06:24 PM »
you finished mister miracle benji? :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #5834 on: August 19, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
this was a whole story arc in Astro City :doge

Tasty

« Reply #5835 on: August 21, 2019, 09:44:12 AM »
:drudge Batman #77 spoilers https://i.imgur.com/AkLY3Qx.jpg

Welp.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5836 on: August 21, 2019, 10:13:27 AM »
I expect the next and final 8 chapters to be great but leave batman broken

kingv

« Reply #5837 on: August 21, 2019, 10:18:02 AM »
Spoiler. Last page of the the last issue of Tom Kings Batman is Bruce Wayne standing in the bart cave. Fully nude except for the cowl and cape Dick just swinging.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5838 on: August 21, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
:drudge Batman #77 spoilers https://i.imgur.com/AkLY3Qx.jpg

Welp.

bad ass edgy reboot alfzrael limited series incoming

Tasty

« Reply #5839 on: August 21, 2019, 10:33:48 AM »
Imagine a story where Alfred is still alive but now paralyzed from the neck-down, and he has to do what Bruce did in the 90s and hit up South America and bang healer chicks to recover and eventually take on Bane. :ohhh

And when he comes back his neck is super swole :lol
[close]

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5840 on: August 21, 2019, 11:02:25 AM »
Bruce will take him to a Lazarus Pit but he’ll come back wrong and become a supervillain
[close]
WDW

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5841 on: August 21, 2019, 01:11:49 PM »
[close]
spoiler cause large not actual spoiler

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #5842 on: August 30, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »
I have heard that Bendis ended his current Superman story with some bullshit pulled from his ass?

is this true  :lol
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:16:28 AM by Purple Filth »

Tasty

« Reply #5843 on: August 30, 2019, 12:13:16 PM »
I have heard that Bendis ended his current Superman story with some bullshit pulled from his ass?

is this true  :lol

Oh so he ended it the same way it's been written from bullshit issue 1? I'm so fucking surprised.

FUCK BENDIS
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5844 on: August 30, 2019, 12:34:37 PM »
stop reading anything bendis writes  :ufup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5845 on: August 30, 2019, 01:19:05 PM »
Is this about TEH LEGION OF SUPERHEROES!!!!111 coming and taking Superboy Jon Kent into the future?

Now DC is trying to make them a big thing.  Again.

I also like that all this shit is happening before Doomsday Clock, which was supposed to be in the future, has ended, and there's already contradictions.  :lol
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5846 on: August 30, 2019, 03:29:45 PM »
Superboy is the best worst character ever

Tasty

« Reply #5847 on: August 30, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »

:rage

benjipwns

« Reply #5848 on: September 01, 2019, 02:09:47 AM »
I also like that all this shit is happening before Doomsday Clock, which was supposed to be in the future, has ended, and there's already contradictions.  :lol
Snyder's already ignoring it because he's working on 2020's crossover that's a sequel to METAL.

I can't believe there's still two issues left and we don't know when the last one will come out yet. Year of the Villain and Leviathan (both projected to end in November) might be done by the time it comes out lol

Also how DC tried to go "oh no it won't just end with Superman fighting Doctor Manhattan" but it's a fucking recurring scene in every damn issue.

They should just go ahead and announce the JSA series or whatever Johns is going to do after it like they have Legion. They could even start putting it out before Doomsday Clock finishes. :doge

It's funny that you can find pretty much no explanation for the delays on the internet. The only thing is the artist, Gary Frank, said he wasn't behind. Which is usually the case. So is Johns still fucking writing the thing? What could he be rewriting at this point? The entire thing has been so fucking decompressed, it could have really been six issues and not lost anything like Adrian and them running around thinking he's sick for eight issues. All the crap with the villains in the sewers for five issues. Why was the Joker even in this? (And which of the THREE JOKERS IS IT?!? Find out in 2027 when Johns completes that.)

benjipwns

« Reply #5849 on: September 01, 2019, 02:21:40 AM »
Johns shouldn't have had Rorschach go straight to Batman from the start of the story. Instead he should have had the Watchmen universe characters doing their thing and Batman/Flash who are still looking into "The Button" come across them to start to put it together rather than us waste nine issues on Adrian running a plot nobody knows about. What was the point of all that crap involving The Button now other than an overly long teaser based around a single image?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5850 on: September 01, 2019, 04:02:18 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #5851 on: September 01, 2019, 08:39:26 AM »
He was used well in Infinite Crisis and poorly in stories afterward.

kingv

« Reply #5852 on: September 01, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
Snyder's already ignoring it because he's working on 2020's crossover that's a sequel to METAL.

I can't believe there's still two issues left and we don't know when the last one will come out yet. Year of the Villain and Leviathan (both projected to end in November) might be done by the time it comes out lol

Also how DC tried to go "oh no it won't just end with Superman fighting Doctor Manhattan" but it's a fucking recurring scene in every damn issue.

They should just go ahead and announce the JSA series or whatever Johns is going to do after it like they have Legion. They could even start putting it out before Doomsday Clock finishes. :doge

It's funny that you can find pretty much no explanation for the delays on the internet. The only thing is the artist, Gary Frank, said he wasn't behind. Which is usually the case. So is Johns still fucking writing the thing? What could he be rewriting at this point? The entire thing has been so fucking decompressed, it could have really been six issues and not lost anything like Adrian and them running around thinking he's sick for eight issues. All the crap with the villains in the sewers for five issues. Why was the Joker even in this? (And which of the THREE JOKERS IS IT?!? Find out in 2027 when Johns completes that.)

A sequel to metal? That shit was so confusing to me. I just remember that Batman had to get a bukkake nine times. And then sexy hot lady bat-aquaman could bless earth.

kingv

« Reply #5853 on: September 01, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »

:rage
superboy prime

Talking about Superboy prime always makes me think about the Literals in fables. That was a way to really throw a great book off course.

benjipwns

« Reply #5854 on: September 03, 2019, 12:37:34 AM »
I honestly don't know what it originally intended to be, but what METAL became after DC expanded it into a bunch of tie-ins was Snyder and everyone of the new kids in charge at DC showing love to the crew before them while making up a bunch of crazy Batmans

it was just a silly, intentionally over the top way to bring some people back into the DC Universe that New 52 had screwed up, same as Doomsday Clock is doing this for the JSA

while also creating a Joker stand-in they could use for higher level events since nobody wants to mess with just the Joker outside of Batman but everyone knows the rule that you have to let the Joker play :shh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5855 on: September 03, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/02/dc-comics-black-batman/

The hot gossip coming out of comic book shows this weekend from a number of prominent sources, is that in the summer of 2020 leading into 2021, DC Comics is planning to bring us a black Batman. Not Bruce Wayne, but someone else donning the cowl and cape.

Who this new Batman will be, I don’t know. All I have been told is that it won’t be Duke Thomas, the young man previously teased as taking on the role of Robin and Batman to come.

Maybe it's going to be Batwing?  Has he even popped up in Batman comics lately?
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5856 on: September 03, 2019, 02:18:58 PM »
It'll be Duke.

Edit- Actually, if it isn't Duke, then they should really write him out of continuity by this point because what is even that dude's point in the grand scheme of things?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5857 on: September 03, 2019, 02:22:56 PM »
Yeah, the rumor is saying it's not Duke. :dizzy
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5858 on: September 03, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »
They mess with Batman too often. Like every third year we have a new Batman.

I’m really excited to see how Bruce deals with not being Batman.... again.

Tasty

« Reply #5859 on: September 03, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I say mess with him more often, until Dick gets back in the suit. :rejoice

I don't know what Snyder was thinking with Robo-Gordon... maybe hoping DCYou would be the status quo for more than a hot second??

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5860 on: September 03, 2019, 02:53:19 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I say mess with him more often, until Dick gets back in the suit. :rejoice

I don't know what Snyder was thinking with Robo-Gordon... maybe hoping DCYou would be the status quo for more than a hot second??

You know what would be cool?  Introduce a new Batman...in addition to Batman.  As in, stop replacing Bruce Wayne with someone else every few years.  It's played out.  Yeah, yeah- it's like Miles Morales, but the difference would be this is Batman so it would be an older character who is just as dark and brooding and competing with Bruce instead. 

I'm sure there's instances of this having been done already, but it's at least been a while.  And isn't this on top of having the Flashpoint Batman and The Batman Who Laughs running around? :dizzy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:01:55 PM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5861 on: September 03, 2019, 03:00:25 PM »
Flashpoint Batman and the Batman Who Laughs are villains tho.

As in, stop replacing Bruce Wayne with someone else every few years.

I count three major times:

- Azrael in the 90s
- Dick in '09
- Gordon in '16

What you're proposing is basically Batman Inc. after Bruce "returned" from the "dead." Brucebats (yellow emblem) ran Batman Inc. and did JL stuff while Dickbats (black/gray emblem) handled Gotham (since Dick's previous stomping ground Bludhaven got Chemo'd in Infinite Crisis...)

And it was pretty sweet, so I agree, that's what they should do. :P

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5862 on: September 03, 2019, 03:02:00 PM »

I actually kind of started liking Robo-Bats after a while- Gordon and his support team/interactions with other superheroes got fun, and then towards the end they ditched the mecha and just had him being his own version of Batman -more cop-like- and then here comes Bruce again.  Oh well.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5863 on: September 03, 2019, 03:02:18 PM »
Batman Inc was really fun, so of course they killed it.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5864 on: September 03, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »
I think Batman Inc ended where Morrison wanted it to, similar to Snyder's Batman Eternal. I don't think it was meant as an open-ended ongoing. The only thing that sort of tripped him up was the New 52 reboot forcing it to be broken up into two volumes with numbering reset to #1 for each. :doge

kingv

« Reply #5865 on: September 03, 2019, 04:03:06 PM »
I feel like robo bats just sort of ended kind of abruptly. They didn’t really leave Gordon in the suit all that long.

Tasty

« Reply #5866 on: September 03, 2019, 04:26:46 PM »
I feel like robo bats just sort of ended kind of abruptly. They didn’t really leave Gordon in the suit all that long.

Weeeeelllllll the messaging for Rebirth may have been a little murky if anyone other than Bruce Wayne wasn't made front-and-center as Batman.

Would have seemed pretty out of place here for example. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #5867 on: September 03, 2019, 04:28:18 PM »
Ahhh, the constant battle between author and editorial...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5868 on: September 03, 2019, 04:42:58 PM »

Weeeeelllllll the messaging for Rebirth may have been a little murky if anyone other than Bruce Wayne wasn't made front-and-center as Batman.

(Image removed from quote.)

Would have seemed pretty out of place here for example. :lol

No more out of place than Super-Lois and Lex Luthor in Iron-Superman armor.  :P
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5869 on: September 03, 2019, 04:50:37 PM »
Hmmmmm I think it would, the big four (WW, Supes, Aquaman and Bats) are all in (fairly) classic attire. Having the Bunny-Bot taking up half the page next to Supes might be a bit, uhh... :doge

kingv

« Reply #5870 on: September 04, 2019, 01:20:45 AM »
Aren’t they releasing the all of dc to be kid friendly next year or something like that?

How are they supposed to do that with non-Bruce Batman?

Tasty

« Reply #5871 on: September 04, 2019, 01:52:29 AM »
Aren’t they releasing the all of dc to be kid friendly next year or something like that?

Hmm, there was a minor kerfuffle over a minor update to how their suggested age ranges work, but it's still basically a child-teen-adult setup.

DC Black Label will continue to be a thing.

kingv

« Reply #5872 on: September 04, 2019, 08:05:07 AM »
Oh? It’s just a labeling thing then. The way some people were going on about it, I thought it was like a relaunch.

benjipwns

« Reply #5873 on: September 04, 2019, 09:11:35 AM »
yeah, they didn't have "DC" on all the brands, now they will they merged all the youth stuff (like Ink and Zoom) into DC Kids, and merged Black Label, lots of Elseworlds stuff and Vertigo into DC Black Label, then there's just regular DC; they had like 15 imprints but they could be fit into three more blatant categories more or less so that's what they did (especially since some of the imprints only had like two titles or something) it's just supposed to make it easier to pick up books via the imprint as well as allow for more Kids titles to start

it's only certain way outside of DC lines like Young Animal and The Wild Storm that will continue (if they do, that is) without being a formal DC imprint

IIRC, the only reason it's "tying" into a semi-relaunch is a bunch of writers/teams are coming up on the end of their runs like Tom King on Batman at the same time, so they may do some "new creative team!" type relaunches but that was going to happen anyway

edit: plus I assume they're going to wipe out a bunch of those all but dead titles they tried to spin out of METAL that started as DARK MATTER before being rebranded twice before launching just to see like nobody pick them up; if that's not already planned and I missed it

kingv

« Reply #5874 on: September 04, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »
I hereby propose calling black label BBDC

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5875 on: September 04, 2019, 12:50:58 PM »
I mean, its still fucking wild that Alan Moores Swamp Thing run was mainstream DCU canon, and you've got Constantine sat in the monitors watchtower during COIE and shit

Shuri

« Reply #5876 on: September 04, 2019, 07:29:24 PM »
Absolute Carnage #1-2

I was expecting a disaster but it's actually fun!

Shuri

« Reply #5877 on: September 07, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
Just finished reading Preacher Book 1.

Fairly entertaining, if a bit edgelord at times. I went in completely blind. I expected some sort of story about a preacher doing around killing bad guys, like a religion Punisher, but turns out it's a super crazy ass story of God, demons, serial killers, vampires featuring a cameo by John Wayne. I think I'm going to order the rest of the books.

kingv

« Reply #5878 on: September 07, 2019, 09:51:51 PM »
Absolute Carnage #1-2

I was expecting a disaster but it's actually fun!

Marvel has a habit of completely misusing carnage... honesty they misuse even worse than venom.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #5879 on: September 07, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
If I wanted to get back on Comics, should I stick with a couple of books, or an area? Last time I read regularly, it was SAGA, and the Hickman runs on F4.