Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 819178 times)

kingv

Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #6060 on: March 19, 2020, 09:24:23 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Those two look more twincesty than quicksilver and scarlet witch

Deffo gonna read all 8 issues of this.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6061 on: March 19, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »
Wokester twins powers activate!
Form of... page 1 fatality in the next crossover to show the big bad means business!
Shape of... a future entry in a watchmojo top ten shittiest heroes ever video!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6062 on: March 23, 2020, 10:26:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1242224676316815361

Big enough to post here too but uh, physical comics are dead brehs. The margins have been too slim and for so long. This was happening anyway but over the next decade.

Bebpo

« Reply #6063 on: April 08, 2020, 06:42:19 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/creator-spotlight-on-jonathan-hickman-image-comics-books

This bundle is insane if you haven't bought/bootlegged these. I've probably spent like $200 between East of West (my favorite on-going epic that just finished), Manhattan Project and Black Monday Murders 1 & 2. Highly recommend the $15 tier to anyone who doesn't own these already. Read East of West!

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6064 on: April 08, 2020, 09:41:25 PM »
Diamond going bust and other distributors being allowed into the game would probably be the best thing that ever happened to physical comic book stores tbh.
Its crazy their monopoly is allowed under 'well technically not a monopoly because other books exist' rulings.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6065 on: April 08, 2020, 11:07:10 PM »
East of West was great, though the ending seemed kinda meh
Manhattan Projects are quite fun, especially as an alt-history

never read Dying and the Dead, might pop the $1 tier for that to check it out then consider going up

maybe I'll just go for the whole shebang like you say...

edit: went ahead and just dropped the $15, there's simply too much there for the price of a single trade
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:34:12 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #6066 on: April 09, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »
I forgot how much of Hickman's stuff is unfinished and just straight up ends with no conclusion in sight :dead

Tasty

« Reply #6067 on: April 23, 2020, 09:10:47 PM »
DC's next big Crisis event and the sequel to METAL is going to be...

DEATH METAL

😒

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #6068 on: April 23, 2020, 09:31:49 PM »
modern superhero comics  :juicy
reckt

Tasty

« Reply #6069 on: April 24, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »
This series tries to connect the Thorn and H20 timelines and makes and even more convoluted, stupid mess of a story :rejoice

:dizzy :dizzy :dizzy :dizzy  :mindblown

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #6070 on: April 24, 2020, 09:57:15 AM »
Chaos Comics Halloween 1-3 (2000-2001)

This series tries to connect the Thorn and H20 timelines and makes and even more convoluted, stupid mess of a story :rejoice

But why?  ???

Tasty

« Reply #6071 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:27 AM »

Comic snobs :social2

Cape comics are nerd soap operas. We've accepted this.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #6072 on: April 24, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »

Comic snobs :social2

Cape comics are nerd soap operas. We've accepted this.
I fucking love cape comics. I just think the current era is trash. I think there are a lot of awful indie comics as well.
reckt

Tasty

« Reply #6073 on: April 24, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »
DC is definitely trash right now and it hurts my heart. I don't keep up with Marvel or indies. :-[

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #6074 on: April 24, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »
I still can't believe they gave Bendis Superman...
reckt

Tasty

« Reply #6075 on: April 24, 2020, 05:28:34 PM »
I still can't believe they gave Bendis Superman...

No one can. I haven't spoke to a single person who read DC comics who isn't violently opposed to that development.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #6076 on: April 24, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »
 :dayum
reckt

Tasty

« Reply #6077 on: April 24, 2020, 08:29:33 PM »
Hey fresh artists gotta start somewhere.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #6078 on: April 24, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »
I love how Loomis aged from Doctor Strange to a pedophile in just five years.
reckt

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #6079 on: April 24, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »
 :holeup
reckt

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #6080 on: April 28, 2020, 08:49:17 PM »
Halloween: One Good Scare (2003)

This was a tie in for the 25th anniversary stuff, set in the H20 timeline, about Dr. Loomis' son who also becomes a psychologist at Smith's Grove, where he becomes obsessed with new patient Lindsey Wallace, who swears Michael is still out there and coming for her. Loomis Jr. succumbs to the obsession that drove his father nuts, and then Michael indeed does show up to kill Lindsey as Loomis Jr. is too scared to help her. Michael then leaves a broken picture of the Loomis' to let him know he knows who this guy is and left him alone on purpose so he'd live in fear of what was coming for him.

And then it never got a follow up due to rights issues. It was planned for 7 or 8 issues and would have followed Loomis 2 living in fear or some shit. The art is disgusting

:yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck

Oh there was another Halloween one I read yesterday, about a photographer who like....finds purity in death pictures or some bullshit and basically stalks old man Loomis in 1993 (it's set in the H20 timeline but Loomis looks exactly like he does in 5/6) until Michael pops up and plucks the guy's eyes out and puts film reels in the sockets. It was also supposed to be a 7-8 issue series and also stopped at one.

I started another one from 2008 and it was also trash so I think my mental affair with these tie in comics are done for now.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6081 on: April 29, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #6082 on: May 05, 2020, 11:17:01 PM »
CURRENT STATUS: POLITICALLY INCORRECT

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6083 on: June 05, 2020, 02:58:11 PM »
Diamond going bust and other distributors being allowed into the game would probably be the best thing that ever happened to physical comic book stores tbh.
Its crazy their monopoly is allowed under 'well technically not a monopoly because other books exist' rulings.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-cuts-ties-diamond-comic-distribution-1297309

:gladbron :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #6084 on: June 05, 2020, 02:58:57 PM »
:ohhh :gladbron

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6085 on: June 05, 2020, 05:32:37 PM »
Good shit, hope others follow suit, although Marvel tried doing things by themselves and it only served to piss off comic shop owners, IIRC.

My dad had a comic shop for a few years in the 90s.  I very much remember that Capital City Distribution >>>>>>>>>>> Diamond.  Diamond ended up swallowing up Capital and the monopoly began.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6086 on: June 05, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »
Man, this so 90s:

Those ears  :lol
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #6087 on: June 05, 2020, 06:58:54 PM »
That has to be a shopped panel. Benji plz confirm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6088 on: June 06, 2020, 02:30:39 AM »
That has to be a shopped panel. Benji plz confirm

:hitler
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6089 on: June 06, 2020, 02:55:03 PM »
I'm kind of torn on Kelley Jones art, because its so stylised it either clashes with the story, or really adds to it.

Batman standing normally in a well lit room with huge ears looks silly, but batman crouched on a gargoyle with his talon fingers, apparently 40 foot long cloak merging with the shadows and devil horn like ears is pretty metal

Tasty

benjipwns

« Reply #6091 on: June 15, 2020, 03:24:01 AM »

why tom king why

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6092 on: June 15, 2020, 07:58:00 AM »
https://www.gamesradar.com/brian-michael-bendis-wrapping-up-his-superman-run/

God might exist 🙏🏻

When asked about the comments by a Twitter user in reference to Newsarama's June 9 article (see below), the DC-exclusive writer told the comics retailer Jetpack Comics on June 10 "It’s sooooo far away. Kind of a non headline. Don’t even worry about it today."

:rage
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6093 on: June 16, 2020, 09:39:27 AM »

...he takes the front door!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #6094 on: June 18, 2020, 12:05:07 AM »
lol at four pages of info dump in Death Metal #1 but not realizing that if nobody read Justice League and Hell Arisen they won't know what the fuck anybody is actually talking about

edit: Might as well explain it. I'll assume METAL is more or less the last thing anyone read.

When they won in METAL they wound up breaking The Source Wall, which has been at the edge of reality in the DC Universe for a loooooonnnnnggg time. Well, it now turns out that the Source Wall wasn't just keeping people out, it was keeping things in. Namely, it was a prison for Perpetua, who is the mom of the Monitor, Anti-Monitor and Worldforger. She's also gone crazy sometime a few millennia back.

Luthor helped her get out and she started destroying universes with him, blah blah blah, The Batman Who Laughs himself was imprisoned by Luthor except he escapes, he infects some heroes and beats Luthor by pointing out that he's as crazy as Perpetua so they'd be better allies. So she kicked Luthor aside and took up The Batman Who Laughs' offer.

Things jump ahead for Death Metal, The Batman Who Laughs has rewritten Earth to his design as Perpetua is destroying the rest of the multiverse. That's where the story starts, he's basically all but won and these are the last days of the multiverse. All the info dump pages are just explaining the why that happened in Justice League that itself poorly explained and talked about all this nonsense with JUSTICE, DOOM, ANTI-CRISIS, etc.

Also funny, is how Death Metal mentions Doomsday Clock for like two sentences and I was like, yep, that's really all you needed from that I guess. Thanks Geoff for agonizing over that for so long.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:23:38 AM by benjipwns »

Boredfrom

« Reply #6095 on: June 19, 2020, 12:22:21 AM »
https://twitter.com/warrenellis/status/1273785757338083328

Welp, this apology is abysmal.

You can tell when his lawyer started to scream to him to rewrite it.

Dammit Ellis.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6096 on: June 19, 2020, 06:29:46 PM »
I mean... unless I've missed something bigger or worse, the "metoo" about him is "Married man flirted with me via private chat, and helped promote me when I was starting" which pretty much doesn't warrant more than a "I'm sorry if you think I did something wrong" apology
:idont

There's a pretty big difference imo between "This guy literally controls who gets work, and I feel if I don't 'play nice' it will affect my career" a la weinstein (or in the comics world it would be a Didio or Cebulski macking on fresh employees) and "This guy is super famous, so if I play up to him he might get me exposure" like, I dunno, a young actress dating a Brad Pitt or a Leo DeCaprio to get her face and name in the papers and being seen at events and stuff.

Boredfrom

« Reply #6097 on: June 20, 2020, 03:18:22 AM »
Eh... I’m pretty sure they also can blacklist people or shit talk people with others.

In whatever case, the problem is that Ellis made this group specially to help them get exposure (while acting like a creep with them).

The apology is terrible, also, because how insincere and out character it sounds coming from him. May as well not givie any of the best can muster is a typical “sorry but not sorry” stuff that every famous creep can do.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6098 on: June 20, 2020, 08:32:24 AM »
I don't know what kind of response you should give to someone you used to be close with and don't think you did any wrong by, but they obviously do and are airing their grievances in public demanding a statement :idont

Boredfrom

« Reply #6099 on: June 20, 2020, 06:16:25 PM »
I don't know what kind of response you should give to someone you used to be close with and don't think you did any wrong by, but they obviously do and are airing their grievances in public demanding a statement :idont

if he really believe that he did nothing wrong he shouldn’t have write an apology because it sounds fake as hell coming from him, since he always been one with strong opinions. Or write a genuine apology if he knows he fucked up and actually wants to mend. Or, just lawyer up and don’t say shit in both cases. 

He is not dumb. He chose the lawyer and PR friendly option while lawyering up, the kind of stuff he usually calls BS.

Whatever he did something wrong or just being just labeled a predator, I honestly expected more.

benjipwns

« Reply #6100 on: June 21, 2020, 03:32:03 AM »
Been reading some old Wildstorm series, namely: StormWatch and WildC.A.T.S.

First of all, the art hasn't been bad enough for me to post any here, shockingly. Though there was a pretty crazy panel in one StormWatch issue that was an entire page and the dude's thighs were about 50% of the panel. Another third of the panel were pouches or guns. The only other thing I've noted art wise is that Brandon Choi likes his explosions to go THAK-THOOM.

Second, StormWatch is a great idea actually (an authorized superhero team to take down superpowered villains not vigilantes), Justice League itself has tried it multiple times. Actually each of the spin-offs of StormWatch are great ideas: Team Achilles (a non-superpowered tactical squad to take down superpowers with lethal force), PHD (a police force for superhero crimes like Top Ten but not in a Top Ten world where everyone is powered, but a DCish one, but not as "dark" as Powers), The Authority (obv) and The Monarchy (hand-waved away later by someone saying their drink was spiked by The Doctor, ala Community's "gas leak" season) and even StormWatch in the New 52 was close to a good idea. It's been a Justice League idea back in the 1980s when they operated under the purview of the UN so they could enter member states at will, and similarly in JLA of the New 52 where this idea was tried again and to have a Justice League that could stop THE Justice League, etc. I feel like there's a way to synthesize these ideas and create a book that works in the DC Universe.

WildCATS I'm comparatively not as far into, just the first series so far, I read Alan Moore's series of this a long time ago and enjoyed it enough, but it in context is pretty funny. He comes in, takes a look at the PREMISE of the series and says "fuck that, it's over, the whole war, the whole point of the team, ended centuries ago just nobody told Earth" and introduces all this new stuff, and then he leaves the book and the next set of writers are like "well, we kinda wanted to work with that premise so... uh.. um... some characters need to take some time adjusting to this and others are just quitting" now I haven't finished the series yet so maybe it goes this direction, but some of the stuff Moore sets into the premise and hell the premise itself, could make this a book where the main characters are superhero racists, like if Superman was a Kryptonian supremacist or if he hated Daxamites for some reason, but they're still played as the hero, which could go some interesting places imo, yes, I am proposing a DC Comic in which the heroes are racists, like Miles O'Brien and Kira are towards Cardies

Wildstorm crossovers were lol in the 1990s, especially because the books writers/artists/etc. are all over the place so like 80% of it is useless crap and whoever started it also has to resolve everything while ignoring everything everyone else added into it. World's End, the last Wildstorm crossover is actually pretty great, even the Number of the Beast miniseries is pretty "wow" and they actually do it! They blow up the world pretty much lol Before that the miniseries with Captain Atom (from DC) showing up and screwing up everything is pretty good too.

Anyway, when New 52 came around they tried to hook some of this stuff into the DC Universe, namely the Daemonites, Lord Helspont, Grifter, etc. all showed up in Superman and stuff then just totally disappeared. And part of me, does not disagree with some of it, the characters and the specifics are totally not there, they're often very limited or one note, but some of the ideas could work easily in the DC Universe, especially now that they've well, okay, before they let Bendis kill off all the huge number of agencies in his stupid Event Leviathan thing, once he's done with that they can bring them back and could use some of these to flesh out the HUMAN part of the DC Universe, something that only really a book like Suicide Squad actively deals with regularly (with your rare Gotham set series like Gotham Central since Gotham is the one place humans can still not be pathetic weaklings to the point that they moved Maggie Sawyer there to get her away from doing Superman's paperwork) but a StormWatch revival where only part of the team are superheroes. Actually, this could be a good premise for JSA's return, it could be the old team teaching their legacy heroes like in JSA but it could also have the human parts as part of the team and as sort of a check on the Justice League who have been getting up to some pretty nutty things imo since really Rebirth

I maybe just want more of a sprawling book than Justice League has been for a while, it seems so weird when they confine it to just a few members who both do and don't have their own (multiple!) books and are and are not implied to be in action 24/7/365 (maybe even off Earth for most of that time), especially with half the team being unnecessary except when the plot writes them to be. When there were three Justice League books in the 90's before Grant Morrison revived JLA, they sucked but there was a sense that you had these three teams handling all kinds of things and working when others weren't and then if there was really bad stuff then Superman and co. would get called in. I liked that premise even if the execution was bad. Plus in general I'd just like to revive Blue and Gold and Fire and Ice and so on. I liked Justice League 3000 for its hard swerve into essentially reviving much of that team and also doing the training younger heroes aspect of JSA. Maybe I just want JSA back. As much love as Morrison got for JLA, JSA and its subsequent series were waaaaaay better than JLA and its. There was an actual premise and actual longer plots could be done with the roster not turning over constantly.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6101 on: June 21, 2020, 03:19:54 PM »
Yeah, I really liked Wildstorm as an imprint; it doesn't really gel nicely with the DCU main, because as they explored with some of their character swaps sending Captain Atom to the WS and Majestic to the DCU, despite having similar power levels and abundance of capes in both universes, the WS treats them all as basically walking WMDs and are fucking terrified, whereas the DCU has that reverence for them (also touched on the Marvel / DC crossover where Captain America assumes the DC heroes are abusing their power somehow because they have all this hero worship that marvel heroes don't).

It is also fucking crazy that one of the major defining incidents in the Stormwatch timeline happens in a licenced tie-in with Aliens :rofl

WildC.A.T.S. is pretty 'eh' overall, even with Moore hard resetting it, but Wildcats v3.0 is pretty interesting in a trying to uplift humanity through technology premise and treating a superteam as a corporation.
TAO ended up being the only bit of Moores reboot that really stuck, and it led to great stuff like Brubakers Sleeper.

I left reading WS when they destroyed the world and went full sci-fi, but I don't know how much of that was creator driven and how much was editorial mandate that they had to make it even clearer that WS isn't the DCU - I suspect editorial mandate, just because you had stuff like PHD doing its own merry thing, then BLAM, tiemskip, worlds ended, get on a space ship and fuck off  :-\

The Ellis reboot I posted in here about was pretty good, but again, I don't really see how it can be reconciled with the DCU main as so much of the world building depends on it being its own thing.
Speaking of Ellis...

if he really believe that he did nothing wrong he shouldn’t have write an apology because it sounds fake as hell coming from him, since he always been one with strong opinions. Or write a genuine apology if he knows he fucked up and actually wants to mend. Or, just lawyer up and don’t say shit in both cases. 

He is not dumb. He chose the lawyer and PR friendly option while lawyering up, the kind of stuff he usually calls BS.

Whatever he did something wrong or just being just labeled a predator, I honestly expected more.

I think Ellis is intenet-savvy enough to know that any kind of response to this kind of allegation is a "And when did you stop beating your wife?" scenario, but I guess has some outside pressures from people like Netflix that he had to say something

benjipwns

« Reply #6102 on: June 21, 2020, 11:00:59 PM »
I got through the second volume of Wildcats (no more abbreviation) and into the start of 3.0, both by Joe Casey, and really like the crazy direction it takes on all fronts.

Yes, I do like the aspect in Wildstorm where the heroes think they're heroes but the rest of the world is not necessarily on board with that. DC toys with this (and Marvel obviously too to a greater extent) every so often but ultimately never wants to leave it ambiguous to whether or not their heroes are heroes, which is fine too, but I think series (like Gotham Central) that question it can still work within that framework.

Also, in the Wildstorm Universe, the main US agency that watches superheroes is the National Park Service which has a major clandestine branch. (True, I suspect.)

While I probably wouldn't recommend it as much as just Wildcats 2/3.0, I'm glad I read the "dumb" first iterations of WildC.A.T.S. before the good/smart Wildcats just to have a better grasp of how it writes off all the old characters to shift to the Halo Corporation stories.

benjipwns

« Reply #6103 on: June 22, 2020, 03:25:08 AM »
Oh, I forgot, the writer of Stormwatch Team Achilles got himself cancelled for a... unique... reason. Micah Ian Wright (also writer of a whole bunch of video games and on The Angry Beavers) claimed he was a former Army Ranger who served in the invasion of Panama when he would have been 15 years old. :lol

Shuri

« Reply #6104 on: June 22, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »
Finished the Invincible omnibus vol 1. I enjoyed it, but I won't be checking out Vol 2. It was getting a bit stale and the SuDdEn TwiSts were getting a bit lame.

It's not a bad read, but like I said, It was just getting stale.

Now, I'm starting the big Wolverine omnibus that was released last week, it starts with the Weapon X run, then all the big important first appearances, then a bunch of key Uncanny X-men and Wolverine issues. After that, I'll be returning to Berserk, there's a new hardcover omnibus coming out next month, and I'm still lagging behind.

:goty2 Speaking of stale content, I still gotta finish The Walking Dead..

My plan for the summer was to read my entire collection of Uncanny X-men, I got the full run in floppies from Issue ~110 to the end. I don't think I'm gonna be able to do it. Also, dealing with old floppies is annoying, it's more convenient to read big omnibus collections for me, but god fucking damn, prices went up.

In another news, I cancelled all my subs for the first time in decades. I realized I have too much to catch up, and the last modern series to really catch my attention was.. Fuck, I don't even know.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6105 on: June 22, 2020, 11:31:37 AM »
Oh, I forgot, the writer of Stormwatch Team Achilles got himself cancelled for a... unique... reason. Micah Ian Wright (also writer of a whole bunch of video games and on The Angry Beavers) claimed he was a former Army Ranger who served in the invasion of Panama when he would have been 15 years old. :lol

yeah, it was something super fucking dumb like getting in twitter arguments about bush and the iraq war and lying about military service to try and add weight to their opinions

benjipwns

« Reply #6106 on: June 24, 2020, 12:00:49 AM »
Invincible is like almost nothing but HUGE TWISTS one after another, it has one of the few BIG REVEALS in anything that actually makes me upset to think about really because Kirkman had to keep pushing them since they're the only hook he would build anything around, TWD is mostly better about this despite its own set of problems. Both of them start to lose their punch after a while.

Speaking of, the Wildcats that comes After The End of the World (Version 5, version 4 being a single issue written by Grant Morrison) was like that. Especially when it changes authors midstream and the second author completely ignores everything of the prior 18 issues, then has to kill all his own plots because the New 52 happened. Also, eventually the Wildstorm books had interchanged so many characters the titles are nonsense, like half the Authority is in Wildcats, half of Stormwatch eventually are in The Authority when the Carrier leaves the planet, some characters randomly died or had other major events off panel because people forgot about them, etc. Wildcats just becomes the Earth-based book left, The Authority runs into space, Stormwatch blows up their base so all the characters have to go to another book or disappear, etc.

I have no idea if I will even attempt to read the other Wildstorm things like Gen13, etc. I'm kinda leaning towards getting back into some Wonder Woman, especially with the movie with my man Maxwell Lord constantly getting delayed. I've only really ever read the embassy days and the New 52 series, so I can go all sorts of directions on that before even coming back to the Rebirth series. Morrison's Earth One series is kinda stupid though, I have read that in recent times.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6107 on: June 24, 2020, 12:25:15 AM »
I enjoyed Invincible all the way through.  Had a pretty satisfying ending, even if it was shown that there were more story ideas Kirkman wanted to do that we'll never get.

Re: Wildstorm- Crazy how much Wildcats changed so much over the years.  I still have a soft spot for the original X-Men rip-off version that Jim Lee did, but I also liked how different it got for the most part.

Gen 13 is very much a product of its time and the mini-series/original run are going to feel extremely dated.  J. Scott Campbell wanted to draw grunge-era ass n' titties, got bored and left to go do Danger Girl (and draw more tiddy, get bored, and leave again), and it's kind of 'meh' for the most part from what I remember of it.  One bright spot, though- Adam Warren.  I love this guy's stuff and he came up with some fun and wacky stories.  IIRC he wrote and drew two mini-series, then wrote the main series for a while until its first cancellation.  His take on the characters is also very "Adam Warren," I.E. these characters are more manga-like and akin to his earlier Dirty Pair and later Empowered comics than your typical Image superheroes of the era.

Warren's run was pretty well-reviewed, but book sales went to shit, and they did this-
Despite outrageous story arcs and many artist collaborations, the popularity of the book dwindled to the point where Wildstorm decided to blow up the entire team with a 6-megaton bomb (Gen¹³ vol. 2, #76, June 2002). This served as the catalyst to revamp the series with a new first issue written by Chris Claremont with pencils by Ale Garza. This title featured an all new team mentored by Caitlin Fairchild, and spawned a spin-off series titled 21 Down. However, this title was cancelled after barely a year. The final issue of the series revealed that the original team was, in fact, still alive, and that the new series had taken place in an alternate dimension which had in some fashion crossed over with the known continuity.

Did not read anything after this and all the shit they did after DC bought the studio didn't really interest me, apart from Stormwatch and The Authority characters in the main DC continuity.  It seems like most of the characters they brought into the New 52 fizzled out pretty quickly and were forgotten about?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 12:33:05 AM by bork »
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6108 on: June 24, 2020, 12:38:02 AM »
Caitlin Fairchild was briefly a thing in the New 52 (she created the new Superboy, created a second Teen Titans team, etc.), but the only one that had any lifespan really was Midnighter. I guess The Engineer and Grifter got a weekly maxiseries (Futures End) to be a key part of after they got mostly dumped from the New 52. But I think Midnighter was the only one still running around by the end of the New 52.

Everybody else were completely available for Ellis to reuse by the time The Wild Storm came about.

bluemax

« Reply #6109 on: June 24, 2020, 01:58:24 AM »
Invincible is like almost nothing but HUGE TWISTS one after another, it has one of the few BIG REVEALS in anything that actually makes me upset to think about really because Kirkman had to keep pushing them since they're the only hook he would build anything around, TWD is mostly better about this despite its own set of problems. Both of them start to lose their punch after a while.

Speaking of, the Wildcats that comes After The End of the World (Version 5, version 4 being a single issue written by Grant Morrison) was like that. Especially when it changes authors midstream and the second author completely ignores everything of the prior 18 issues, then has to kill all his own plots because the New 52 happened. Also, eventually the Wildstorm books had interchanged so many characters the titles are nonsense, like half the Authority is in Wildcats, half of Stormwatch eventually are in The Authority when the Carrier leaves the planet, some characters randomly died or had other major events off panel because people forgot about them, etc. Wildcats just becomes the Earth-based book left, The Authority runs into space, Stormwatch blows up their base so all the characters have to go to another book or disappear, etc.

I have no idea if I will even attempt to read the other Wildstorm things like Gen13, etc. I'm kinda leaning towards getting back into some Wonder Woman, especially with the movie with my man Maxwell Lord constantly getting delayed. I've only really ever read the embassy days and the New 52 series, so I can go all sorts of directions on that before even coming back to the Rebirth series. Morrison's Earth One series is kinda stupid though, I have read that in recent times.

I forget where I bailed out on Invincible but yeah, it always felt like BIG TWIST/BIG REVEAL/UP THE ANTE had to happen every X number of issues and that just like the walking dead it would go on and be miserable for as long as it sold.
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6110 on: June 24, 2020, 07:17:54 AM »
Caitlin Fairchild was briefly a thing in the New 52 (she created the new Superboy, created a second Teen Titans team, etc.), but the only one that had any lifespan really was Midnighter. I guess The Engineer and Grifter got a weekly maxiseries (Futures End) to be a key part of after they got mostly dumped from the New 52. But I think Midnighter was the only one still running around by the end of the New 52.

I remember Helspont was briefly a Superman villain, too- I read all these comics, and yet I completely forgot about all of this.  Maybe it's better that way.  :lol

Everybody else were completely available for Ellis to reuse by the time The Wild Storm came about.

Which ended with "WildCATS coming soon!" and then the book never got released.
:neogaf
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6111 on: June 24, 2020, 09:16:33 AM »
I have no idea if I will even attempt to read the other Wildstorm things like Gen13, etc.

Read Sleeper at least, which is legit good and doubly so if you like the alternative viewpoint type stuff of Team Achilles / PHD / GCPD / Top Ten / Suicide Squad / Checkmate etc

Which ended with "WildCATS coming soon!" and then the book never got released.
:neogaf

Its supposedly a 6 issue mini coming in August, but fuck, its why I waited until The WildStorm was complete before bothering starting reading it.

benjipwns

« Reply #6112 on: June 25, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »
I read Sleeper some time before, back when I read The Authority I think. Stuff like TAO, everything crossing over during the World's End, the Halo Corporation, etc. was the reason I wanted to eventually read Wildcats.

I remember Helspont was briefly a Superman villain, too-
He was going to be the first BIG BAD of the New 52 initially which is why he and the Daemonites showed up in Superman and even got an annual devoted to them. They had almost entirely fallen out of favor by Forever Evil.

Futures End was apparently the dumping ground for a lot of ideas and plots that were related to writer changes. Earth 2 stuff was somewhat similar after James Robinson quit. ("Nah, we don't want that anymore, how about you take it to Earth 2 or the false Future?" "Okay... :fbm")

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6113 on: June 25, 2020, 01:34:16 PM »
I miss Earth 2.  :'(
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6114 on: June 25, 2020, 01:36:12 PM »
nu52 was so bad it made me bounce off comics completely for however many years its been since Nu52

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6115 on: June 25, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
nu52 was so bad it made me bounce off comics completely for however many years its been since Nu52

I actually kinda liked a lot of it.   :lol 

But I guess I was part of the target audience for it- I never really read a lot of DC stuff before it and this got me reading more books than I would have before...for a time, anyway.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6116 on: June 25, 2020, 02:26:12 PM »
The New 52 was an overreaction in theory and a mess in execution. All they needed was a minor correction to the timeline to line the books back up better like they had done with Zero Hour. That's perhaps ironically what Rebirth has essentially done to much greater approval.

They didn't wind up even rebooting any of the main characters anyway. Sure, at the very start there was some stuff, but ultimately none of it stuck for the length of the New 52 except Superman's far younger age. Some of the changes like Wonder Woman and Aquaman's tweaked origins had been in prior versions anyway or were strongly suggested.

The DCYou period almost had a bigger rewrite of the status quo for more characters than the original New 52 did.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6117 on: June 25, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »
I liked the stuff they did that differed from previous books, like Earth 2 and World's Finest, Superboy (at least initially- dumb evil replacement sucked), Supergirl (no pantsu~), Red Lanterns, the older, "secret" pre New 52 Superman with an older Lois and their son, Jon (really liked him and the whole thing with him being virtually unknown by the rest of the DCU a whole lot), etc.  I think was Keith Giffen who wrote a Justice League 3000 book?  That was some crazy, fun shit.  I got into some other books I never really read before, like The Flash and Green Arrow, plus All-Star Western with Jonah Hex, although that was mainly because I like Jimmy Palmiotti as a writer.  And then I love the stuff he does with his wife Amanda Conner, so their takes on Harley Quinn and Starfire were fun reads. Once they left Harley Quinn, I stopped reading.

And I even liked them messing around with the characters and changing up Superman (power loss and identity reveal) and Batman getting replace by Jim Gordon, but only because I knew it would be a temporary thing.  It's funny; Bat-Gordon really started coming into his own and getting good right when they ended it and brought Bruce Wayne back.

The worst thing to me was Lobo- that redesign was just so bad in every way.  All the personality...gone.  :yuck

I just sort of stopped reading most things DC a few years ago.  Don't know if I'm going to go back or not.  Some stuff I was massively behind on, like Batman.  I know I've missed some good stories so maybe one day.
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6118 on: June 25, 2020, 05:44:27 PM »
I'm not a slave to continuity, but Nu52 cancelled a bunch of books and storylines that I was reading that were pretty good and replaced them with a bunch... that weren't.
Hickmans Secret Wars did much the same thing on the Marvel side.

If Nu52 had really come out swinging, I'd have nothing against it; bear in mind when they did their first reboot with Crisis, the follow up books launched were Byrnes Superman, which was when people gave a shit about Byrne and was also a pretty solid reconcepting, Millers Batman Year 1 which effectively cemented the tone for the bat books, Perez Wonder Woman, Waids Flash, Giffens Justice League and Ostranders Suicide Squad.
Like... holy fuck, thats a solid launch lineup to build your universe off.

New 52 had a Gmoz Superman and - despite my personal distaste for Johns as a writer - a Johns Green Lantern, Aquaman and Justice League.
Then a pile of crap which went from unreadable (that fucking wonder woman reboot), to just rehashing shit you've already read (Blue Beetle) to just no1curr like Firestorm, Hawk and Dove, Titans, Captain Atom, Green Arrow, Hawkman, etc etc etc.

Like, why even commission those books if you know - and they must have fucking known - how crappy they were as your big relaunch titles?

benjipwns

« Reply #6119 on: July 01, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-showcase-books

PAY $1 OR MORE TO ALSO UNLOCK!
We Stand On Guard
Author: Brian K. Vaughan
Art: Steve Skroce

They're Not Like Us Vol. 1: Black Holes For The Young
Author: Eric Stephenson
Art: Simon Gane, Jordie Bellaire

Invincible, Vol. 1
Issues 1-4
Author: Robert Kirkman
Art: Cory Walker

The Ghost Fleet: The Whole Goddamned Thing TP
Author: Donny Cates
Art: Daniel Warren Johnson, Lauren Affe, and John J. Hill

Farmhand Vol. 1
Author: Rob Guillory
Art: Rob Guillory, Taylor Wells

Curse Words Vol. 1
Author: Charles Soule
Art: Ryan Browne, Jordan Boyd

Copra Vol. 1
Author: Michel Fiffe
Art: Michel Fiffe

Buzzkill
Author: Donny Cates, Mark Reznicek
Art: Geoff Shaw, Lauren Affe

Blackbird Vol. 1
Author: Sam Humphries
Art: Jen Bartel

Redlands Vol. 1-2
Author: Jordie Bellaire
Art: Vanesa R. Del Rey, Jordie Bellaire
[close]
PAY $8 OR MORE TO ALSO UNLOCK!
They're Not Like Us Vol. 2
Art: Simon Gane, Jordie Bellaire

Stray Bullets Vol. 1-6
Author: David Lapham
Art: David Lapham

Plutona
Author: Jeff Lemire, Emi Lenox
Art: Emi Lenox

Outcast Vol. 1-2
Art: Paul Azaceta, Elizabeth Breitweiser

Nowhere Men Vol. 1
Art: Nate Bellegarde, Jordie Bellaire

My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
Author: Ed Brubaker
Art: Sean Phillips

God Country
Author: Donny Cates
Art: Geoff Shaw

Curse Words Vol. 2-5
Author: Charles Soule
Art: Ryan Browne

Copra Vol. 2-5
Author: Michel Fiffe
Art: Michel Fiffe

Invincible Vol. 2-3
Art: Cory Walker, Ryan Ottley

Farmhand Vol. 2
Author: Rob Guillory
Art: Taylor Wells, Rob Guillory

Savage Town OGN
Author: Declan Shalvey, Philip Barrett
Art: Philip Barrett, Jordie Bellaire
[close]
PAY $15 OR MORE TO ALSO UNLOCK!
Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses Vol. 1-4
Author: David Lapham
Art: David Lapham

Big Hard Sex Criminals Vol. 1-2
Author: Matt Fraction
Art: Chip Zdarsky

Ice Cream Man Vol. 1-2
Author: W. Maxwell Prince
Art: W. Maxwell Prince, Martín Morazzo, Chris O’Halloran

Low Vol. 1-2
Author: Rick Remender
Art: Greg Tocchini

Revival Vol. 1-4
Author: Tim Seeley
Art: Mike Norton, Mark Englert

Pretty Deadly Vol. 1-3
Author: Kelly Sue DeConnick
Art: Emma RÍos

Nailbiter Vol. 1-6
Author: Joshua Williamson
Art: Mike Henderson

Heavy Liquid
Author: Paul Pope
Art: Paul Pope

Hack/Slash Omnibus Vol. 1-6
Author: Tim Seeley
Art: Tim Seeley, Dave Crosland, Skottie Young, Stefano Caselli
[close]
PAY $18 OR MORE TO ALSO UNLOCK!
Unnatural Vol. 1-3
Author: Mirka Andolfo
Art: Mirka Andolfo

Snotgirl Vol. 1-2
Author: Bryan Lee O'Malley
Art: Leslie Hung, Mickey Quinn

Oblivion Song Vol. 1-2
Art: Annalisa Leoni, Lorenzo De Felici

Monstress Vol. 1-4
Author: Marjorie Liu
Art: Sana Takeda

Little Bird: The Fight For Elder's Hope HC
Author: Darcy Van Poelgeest
Art: Ian Bertram

Kill Or Be Killed Vol. 1-2
Art: Sean Phillips, Elizabeth Breitweiser

Criminal Vol. 1-5
Art: Sean Phillips, Elizabeth Breitweiser

Battlechasers
Author: Munier Sharrieff
Art: Joe Madureira, Tom McWeeney, Liquid

Black Science Vol. 1-5
Author: Rick Remender
Art: Matteo Scalera, Dean White
[close]
Monstress is in the top tier, no idea on a third of this, never heard of another third, but the $18 tier is definitely worth the extra $3 over $15 tier imo