Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 819280 times)

Tasty

Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #6360 on: September 25, 2022, 09:41:28 AM »
Greg Rucka :larry

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6361 on: September 27, 2022, 10:51:15 PM »
Great Moments in Comic Dialogue History:

Tasty

This has new meaning post-Urban Legends #6
« Reply #6362 on: September 27, 2022, 10:54:45 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #6363 on: September 28, 2022, 04:45:24 PM »
Sandman Act III audio drama dropping today (supposedly it's dropped but it's not showing up on Audible).
Covers Vols 7 & 8

Just need Act IV confirmed (I'm sure it will happen) to finish off the series with vol 9 & 10. Hopefully sometime 2023.

benjipwns

« Reply #6364 on: October 12, 2022, 07:28:01 PM »

I liked this, really my only complaint was that it was obvious from the start that the guy he meets and starts to date was obviously going to be a bad guy or have ties to them. I should have guessed the specifics though because in retrospect it was an obvious choice. I still think The Omega Men is probably tops from that awkward era of DC where they had basically given up on the New 52 but this was pretty good still.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6365 on: October 13, 2022, 01:28:46 PM »
Its kind of surprising how much mileage The Midnighters gotten out of essentially being a Batman expy way back in Stormwatch.

He has a pretty good cameo in Stormwatch: Team Achilles just talking man to man with the dude who beat the shit out of him a couple of issues before, also of course

Tasty

« Reply #6366 on: October 13, 2022, 04:01:46 PM »
New 52 Midnighter was gay AF and that kinda set him apart. He also flirted with Dick a lot in King's excellent Grayson series.

benjipwns

« Reply #6367 on: October 13, 2022, 06:28:12 PM »
Dick teams up with him for a couple issues in this and Spyral is throughout the series. Midnighter handcuffs Dick to him.

The one thing I don't really like about Midnighter is that his fight supercomputer thing doesn't really make sense. :lol

Polident Hive

« Reply #6368 on: October 13, 2022, 10:27:38 PM »
There’s that well known panel of Midnighter recognizing Dick from his buttocks. With the ears and suit cropped out, everybody mistakes it as Batman saying it.

Its kind of surprising how much mileage The Midnighters gotten out of essentially being a Batman expy way back in Stormwatch.

In a case of art imitating…art, Midnighter got somewhat popular but nobody cares about Apollo.

Tasty

« Reply #6369 on: October 14, 2022, 12:20:27 AM »
Btw Tim Drake: Robin #1 kicks things off with an... atypical art style. Feels like I'm reading a French comic almost.

It was a shock at first but I'm getting used to it. My big complaint is Tim Doesn't look like Tim, especially with some slicked-down buzz cut.

The writers finally realized fans liked the idea of Tim being queer, when will they also realize a big part of that was his beautiful flowing locks?? Dick has his booty, Tim has his hair, and that's law in fan circles.

But now I'm just fanboying over Marcus To's art again...

All in all I'm happy Tim's got his own series again. It's surreal seeing the successor to a comic I read when I was figuring myself out in my early teenage years. The '93-'09 Robin series obviously had a huge impact on me, and Tim became my favorite comic char of all time during this period of self-discovery.

To see Tim Drake in a canon DC comic navigate gay romance may be pandering, yes, but I can't help but smile a little.

For me, Tim Drake has somehow come full circle, and I'm excited about comics again. Now if DC would just let him progress to adulthood (again) and have it stick this time...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 12:31:58 AM by Tasty »

benjipwns

« Reply #6370 on: October 16, 2022, 12:43:54 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #6371 on: October 16, 2022, 02:56:41 AM »
The ceiling obviously, you mustache-sporting doofus.

benjipwns

« Reply #6372 on: November 06, 2022, 04:18:08 PM »
Been reading some Marvel 2099 stuff, picked it almost randomly and followed on from there. Some of it is really bad 1990's writing (dialogue is particularly awful at times, editing is pretty lax at times and sometimes the dialogue bubbles go to the wrong people) and art but other stuff is pretty interesting world building. I like how all the aspects of the different series basically crossover with each other so it's more of one big world onion being unpeeled. I know later on Warren Ellis comes in but I'm not sure how far in that is or what other big names from Peter David are involved. It's still already pretty good early on at hooking me with hinting at stuff already existing in the ongoing world that will get explained as we go like mentioning some CEO guy and then he's a key character in a later book. Absolute funniest part is people talking about downloading MEGABYTES of data and having GIGABYTES of storage. Yeah, it was 1994 but it still feels like they should have bumped it a few more times even back then since this was supposed to be over a century later. Some of the other tech guesses don't seem as dated ("cyberspace" is both sorta accurate to our internet and weirdly seems like inspiration for what the Metaverse wants to be while also sometimes still requiring 1990 style phone devices) and are more plausible century worth of continuing advances but it's endlessly funny when Doctor Doom is all "too late, I accessed ALL 500 MEGABTYES OF DATA!" on the servers of some giant megacorporation that runs the planet. Don't worry, he's got 20 GIGS on his fridge sized computer that looks like ten Macintosh Quadra's cabled together so he can raid another 39 megacorps before he'll need to backup things to the SIM Card in my phone. There also seems to be an unclear state between using CDs or 3.5 inch floppy disks for removable storage.

Tasty

« Reply #6373 on: November 06, 2022, 06:48:02 PM »
Dunno if it was just my preference for DC, but Marvel had like the worst style in the 00s. Ultimate was cool tho.

Then the New 52 hit and lordy, that took the crown for some of the worst art I've seen in a major ongoing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6374 on: November 07, 2022, 08:31:58 AM »
Dunno if it was just my preference for DC, but Marvel had like the worst style in the 00s. Ultimate was cool tho.

Then the New 52 hit and lordy, that took the crown for some of the worst art I've seen in a major ongoing.

I don't like a lot of the art on comics from both DC and Marvel nowadays, but when I go back and look at stuff from the 90s, a lot of it is awful pin-up art-like garbage, so rose-tinted glasses and all that, I guess.

Btw Tim Drake: Robin #1 kicks things off with an... atypical art style. Feels like I'm reading a French comic almost.

(Image removed from quote.)

It was a shock at first but I'm getting used to it. My big complaint is Tim Doesn't look like Tim, especially with some slicked-down buzz cut.

The writers finally realized fans liked the idea of Tim being queer, when will they also realize a big part of that was his beautiful flowing locks?? Dick has his booty, Tim has his hair, and that's law in fan circles.

(Image removed from quote.)

But now I'm just fanboying over Marcus To's art again...

I don't think this is bad, but it just doesn't fit a 'serious' superhero comic.  When I look at the bottom panel, I don't see Tim Drake- I see someone trying to draw a character from Akira.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 12:26:45 PM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #6375 on: November 07, 2022, 12:11:06 PM »
Oh the 90s were awful too, no question.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6376 on: November 07, 2022, 12:27:19 PM »
I just noticed I referred to the character as "Time Drake."  Time-traveling Robin would be a pretty fun read.
:thinking
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6377 on: November 07, 2022, 12:47:59 PM »
I guess I'm a basic bitch because I like the later silver age 'house styles', as exemplified by John Romita Sr and John Buscema for Marvel and Neal Adams and George Perez for DC :idont

Bebpo

Bebpo

« Reply #6379 on: November 11, 2022, 02:57:15 PM »
Is Terry Moore stuff any good? Never heard of him.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/black-friday-encore-ultimate-terry-moore-collection-abstract-studios-books

Looked them up and people seem to like these. Picked up the bundle and the quality of the scans are VERY high, which is nice since some of the comic bundles have been unreadable trash like the BOOM comics published bundle.

But huge files and PDF only. Like 250-500MB per volume and the 25th anniversary sketch book is a 2gb pdf that my PC can't even open lol

Tasty

« Reply #6380 on: November 20, 2022, 11:41:07 PM »
https://www.dc.com/blog/2022/09/27/robin-refreshed-meghan-fitzmartin-on-tim-drakes-new-status-quo

Fitzgerald saying the right things... and some wrong things.

First, the right:

Tim has been living on a boat—he's got his own place. We've not seen a marina in Gotham, but it makes sense that there would be a marina because it's surrounded by water.

It was really fun when I was talking to my editor about coming up with this marina space. It's fun to explore a different part of Gotham with Tim and making this space his own.

Just like Buffy Season 11 moving to San Fran, I'm totally in support of moving into the future and carving a new era distinct from what came from before. Nostalgia is awesome sometimes, but the only way to keep something alive is to embrace change. Tim getting his own corner to operate in reflects Nightwing going to Bludhaven in the 90s. I approve.

Which version of Tim’s backstory are we using? The New 52 established that his parents were alive in the witness protection program, but it seems like we’re going back to him being an orphan. What’s the status of Tim’s parents?

They're not alive. We have enough history with the parents. They are no longer with us, and he is adopted by Bruce. That is the timeline at present.

FUCK YES

Undo that garbage shit Scott Lobdell introduced and bring us back to pre-New 52 canon. Hopefully that dumbass idea that "Drake" is just an assumed fake last name because he's in witness protection has been thrown in the trash compactor as well.

YES

We’re not doing the drama of “you left our date to fight crime” or other stuff we see from teenage heroes?

Exactly! We're not doing that. I think Bernard is a very understanding person who is like, "This is fine, whatever, I trust you, I love you, whatever this is, I'm fine with it." I think Tim is more like, "WHAT?! What does that mean? Does he hate me?" And Bernard is like, "At no point did I say any of those words."

This is totally refreshing and I love to see it. Moving on past cliche is a good intention.

You mentioned new enemies. What kind of enemies are we talking about?

Tim Drake at his core is a detective. Every detective needs a Moriarty. I think that's sort of what we're going for right now.

This would be amazing. Pre-New 52 was setting up Anarky III (or possibly Ra's Al Ghul, although he'd never be "demoted" by DC brass away from Bruce IMO) as that role, but I honestly would love someone new, someone interesting, someone with a cool gimmick. Someone that's the opposite to Tim.

What are the dynamics of sharing the Robin name with Damian?

Damian is living his best life. Well, it's not his best life. He's living his life right now and it is a disaster in a different way than Tim's is a disaster. I think that's part of the question that Tim is currently facing—he's the Robin who's held the title for the longest, so what does that mean for him? What are the next steps for him? Are there next steps for him? Should he stay or should he go, like the way that the song goes?

It is a question I think that he is having to face with himself. And that's part of the identity search that I think he's going through. Now that I have realized these pieces of who I am, how do I move forward? What do I do now? I think that is the core of this particular run of Tim Drake. I have some ideas on where I want to take it, but ultimately, I'm very feelings-led and I'm very Tim-led. And so, part of that is just feeling out what Tim wants and how he's going to get there.

STRONG hints of Tim finally graduating from Robin (in the new continuity) and assuming a new identity of his own creation. As long as it's better than that brown shitstain "Drake" shit that Bendis introduced before it was killed for being stupid five seconds later, I'm all for it.

OK, and now the bad:

Tim WOULD live on a boat.

I know, it's actually kind of perfect. This is sort of pulled from life because sometimes I live on a boat.

"Write what you know" but I worry Meghan is doing a self-insert expy at times.

Going through his appearances during the Bill Willingham Robin run, I was surprised to see all the hints to Bernard’s sexuality…

Like I said, there's so much that you can go back to and go, "Oh, okay, that's why."

…like in Robin #122 Bernard threatens to sneak into Tim’s room at night to bound and gag him.

He was in a pain cult...so I mean...

Continuity!

This is just weird and creepy. Wtf.

How does Bernard fit into this new present, and what kind of relationship will he and Tim have?

I mean, every hero needs a damsel and Bernard is a perfect damsel. I definitely want to have Bernard around. I think it's important for him to be around.

I was hoping we'd moved past the "damsel" cliche for the most part. There's no reason Bernard can't be an interesting character on his own and not just a walking character growth contrivance.

During the DC Pride: Tim Drake Special #1 there is a moment where Tim and Conner Kent are holding hands. So, the question is, are you trying to electrocute Twitter?

(laughs) I mean, who doesn't love setting a fire under Twitter? That's definitely something that I've heard about and am aware of and it will be more of a discussion point in later issues of certain comic brands that are happening right now.

Ugh, Twitter pandering. 🙄
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 11:45:59 PM by Tasty »

benjipwns

« Reply #6381 on: November 20, 2022, 11:48:05 PM »
Pretty sure I've seen a marina/port in Gotham before. Bruce fought Bane there when he was going to nuke Gotham, the Batwoman non-conclusion takes place in the port, etc.

Oh, well, at least they did the research for that pain cult bound and gagging a teenager thing.

benjipwns

« Reply #6382 on: December 01, 2022, 11:20:56 PM »
I wish they would list what the volumes collect or note if it's all the available volumes because stuff like Revival vol 1-8 or Zeros vol 1-4 means nothing to me: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-30th-anniversary-10s-books
Pay at least $1 for these 3 items
Copra Round 1
Shirtless Bear-Fighter!
Super Dinosaur Vol. 1

Pay at least $15 for these 18 items
AD: After Death
Alex + Ada Vols. 1-3
Happy!: Collected Edition
I Hate Fairyland Vols. 1-4
Injection Vols. 1-3
Isola Vols. 1-2
Killadelphia Vols.1-2
Luther Strode Vols. 1-3
Man-Eaters Vol. 1
Moonstruck Vols. 1-3
Motor Crush Vols. 1-2
Revival Vols. 1-8
Sex Vols.1-6
The Autumnlands Vols. 1-2
Zero Vols.1-4

Pay at least $25 for these 28 items
Saga Vols. 1-9
Curse Words Vols. 1-5
Ice Cream Man Vols. 1-5
Nailbiter Vols. 1-8
Sex Criminals Vols. 1-6
SPAWN 202-326
WITCHBLADE 154-185
SAVAGE DRAGON 179-262
Sea of Stars Vol. 1: Lost In The Wild Heavens
In the case of Saga this is all the pre-hiatus volumes, there is only one more collecting it since it came back this year. But some of these bundles (not necessarily Image ones) have in the past only included like half of the collected volumes even when they're quite old. (And never put the rest in another, later, bundle even.) I don't want to look up all this shit or buy it for other stuff, like one of the throwins after reading and find out it's not all of it.

Also, getting stuff like Spawn issues 200+ or Witchblade 150+ when I would have had to have bought those other Image bundles to get started with the franchises makes me less interested in the higher tier even if it's the clearly better deal like always. If you had told me Spawn ended before 200 issues I would have believed you.

Borealis

« Reply #6383 on: December 02, 2022, 02:05:27 AM »
Forgotten what volume of Ice Cream Man I'm up to.

Also really dislike Savage Dragon and Spawn being distributed by issue in these Image bundles.

benjipwns

« Reply #6384 on: December 02, 2022, 02:31:26 AM »
Also really dislike Savage Dragon and Spawn being distributed by issue in these Image bundles.
So there will be like 100 individual issues to download for Spawn? Last I knew you couldn't batch download only certain parts of these. :lol

Borealis

« Reply #6385 on: December 08, 2022, 04:24:23 AM »
So there will be like 100 individual issues to download for Spawn? Last I knew you couldn't batch download only certain parts of these. :lol

Yup. The batch download feature is such a mess in general as well.

Tasty

« Reply #6387 on: December 22, 2022, 04:10:21 PM »

👑

« Reply #6388 on: December 28, 2022, 11:45:25 AM »

John Stossel weighs in. And I did not know about MODAAK.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/27/woke-comic-books-are-laughable-money-losers-but-dc-marvel-push-them/

I think there's something to be said about storytelling vs. pushing agendas. But I'm not going to storm that particular Bunker (or Breed's) Hill.

Tasty

« Reply #6389 on: December 28, 2022, 12:35:53 PM »
If pandering is what gets me Tim Drake's first starring ongoing in over 11 years, then pander away.

Tasty

« Reply #6390 on: February 02, 2023, 06:17:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1620837262232780800

I did not expect sensibility to win out.

I'm confident James is going to be sensible here.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6391 on: February 02, 2023, 06:31:54 PM »
I like that it's a dig at Elon's recent performative bullshit.

So far I've enjoyed James Gunn's oeuvre. I wasn't super sold on GOTG2, but it's still watchable. His re-take on Suicide Squad is a ton of fun.

Also: Trunks, FTW.

benjipwns

« Reply #6392 on: February 02, 2023, 07:16:19 PM »
NOT GOING TO DECIDE BASED ON A TWITTER POLL?!?!? THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A DEMOCRACY JAMES :rage

Tasty

benjipwns

« Reply #6394 on: March 01, 2023, 01:29:22 AM »
Come back Tasty, look at these stupid jackets:

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6395 on: March 08, 2023, 07:12:53 PM »
Alright benji, I bought the Dark Nights: Metal Omnibus from Amazon (there was a $20 off coupon, I couldn't afford not to!!!). I heard they destroy the Source Wall or some shit in this. I'm ready, put me back in the Multiverse.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6396 on: March 14, 2023, 10:47:38 PM »
I read Multiversity, it was great. I didn't realize that (a) it was basically a sequel to Final Crisis, and (b) that it has a full page spread of Hitler taking a dump. What a Grant Morrison ass comic. :rejoice I also read Convergence which was a big meh. Seems like it was written to be a setup for more multiverse shenanigans instead of a good story. I didn't read the billion tie-in issues that I guess are all the individual fights between the timelines, not sure if that adds anything or not (but I suspect not).

Shifting gears to non-capeshit, I also read The Nice House on the Lake that I saw recommended somewhere. Cosmic horror meets the existential dread of being at a never-ending party at the end of the world with people you don't really know. This is what I imagine I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream would be if AM was just a really nice guy that wanted to have a beer with you. A good comic.

Next up, Dark Nights: Metal.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #6397 on: March 15, 2023, 12:08:35 AM »
The Multiversity stuff is revisited in Infinite Frontier/Justice League Incarnate but unfortunately Morrison had nothing to do with it so The Empty Hand and The Gentry gets massively downgraded from Cosmic Eldritch Horror to lameo sidekick to something that's maybe not even bad or whatever.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6398 on: March 15, 2023, 03:00:29 AM »
Yeah, I saw there was a Justice League Incarnate series but that it wasn’t by Morrison. I might check it out anyway for more President Barack Kent. What I’d really like to see though is a continuation of the Uberman plot line, a Superman wracked with guilt over a teensy bit of ethnic cleansing he did back in the 50’s.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 03:06:31 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6399 on: March 18, 2023, 12:13:52 PM »
Why is Darkseid a baby? :lol
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #6400 on: March 18, 2023, 12:16:46 PM »
Darkseid War ended with him reduced to a baby!

Baby Darkseid omega beams somebody at some point if IIRC. There's a teenage Darkseid for way too short of period of time in a few issues of something. :lol

Justice League Odyssey (which I quite liked) is about him trying to restore himself to his full adult power.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6401 on: March 19, 2023, 03:02:06 PM »
darkseid going through puberty  :mjcry
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 05:12:51 PM by team filler »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6402 on: March 22, 2023, 12:06:19 PM »
Just been reading a few issues a night so I haven't finished it yet, but Metal is pretty good. I had to google why Plastic Man was an egg now, but apparently this is his first post-Rebirth appearance and we're just not supposed to know why he's an egg yet.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #6403 on: March 30, 2023, 12:12:35 AM »
Marvel's bringing back the Ultimate Universe apparently?
Just announced at Entertainment Weekly, two of the comic book industry’s most innovative and exciting creators are teaming up to reshape the Marvel Universe as you know it! This June, join writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Bryan Hitch in ULTIMATE INVASION, a revolutionary four-issue saga that presents a surprising new chapter for Ultimate Comics and bold new strides for Marvel’s iconic heroes.

Launched over twenty years ago, the Ultimate Universe provided a contemporary take on classic Marvel characters and storylines. Known for its edginess and explosive action, the Ultimate Universe was home to some of Marvel’s most talked about and thought-provoking series of the 21st century. The Ultimate Universe reached its cataclysmic end in 2015’s SECRET WARS, but nothing stays buried in Marvel Comics for long. Is it time for the Ultimate Universe to make its grand return? The Maker seems to think so, and the Illuminati must form once again to stop him from his plans to destroy—or perhaps rebuild—the universe, with Miles Morales at the center of it all!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6404 on: March 30, 2023, 08:29:46 PM »
It's funny because they already brought it back.  I forget which storyline it was but there was a quick glimpse of it with some added characters like Iron Heart.

Maybe this will be a way to move Miles back into his own universe?
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6405 on: March 30, 2023, 08:38:51 PM »
Oh, I also forgot The Maker was in that one Ultimates arc and it implied 1610 still existed in a way that it could be brought back. After looking apparently he's already recreated the universe in some Venom storyline.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6407 on: May 15, 2023, 02:33:17 AM »
Visited my old haunt comic store from my college days, Atlantis Fantasybooks in Santa Cruz. I've been going there since they were in the old garage at the south end of Pacific Garden Mall, where it's shown in The Lost Boys.

I picked up several trade paperbacks, including:
  • Paul Pope's The Rise of Aurora West — I'd forgotten that I don't like Pope's art style.
  • Gerard Way's Doom Patrol #1&2
  • Frank Miller's RoninBook II
  • Star Wars Mutiny at Mon Cala
  • Serenity — hardcover collection of Whedon's ancillary stories
  • Savior by local artist Chump Magic
  • Christian Ward's Invisible Kingdom

I've only read Ronin II so far, the first two issues. It's the only non-TPB format I bought. I'm really disappointed. There are several splash pages, I believe meant to hammer home the "epic" nature of the story, but Miller's doing so much bombastic paneling that nothing really seems outstanding. He's having his paneling finished by Tan, whose art is overly ornate. The rough, dynamic style worked in the first installment so many years ago, but Tan's filigree work (down to overly rendered eyelashes) is just visually tiring when paired with Miller's broad-strokes style.

These are prestige priced books with about 10 pp. of actual content in them.

benjipwns

« Reply #6408 on: May 15, 2023, 03:09:14 AM »
I unironically love Gerard Way's Doom Patrol.

« Reply #6409 on: May 16, 2023, 10:54:32 PM »
"Lousy fans" ruined the latest shocking Spider-Man story, Dan Slott said.

This was the shocking event Marvel's editors and PR machine couldn't stop shouting was going to make readers hate the creators on the book.

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1658525080119279626

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6410 on: May 16, 2023, 11:07:48 PM »
I haven't been keeping up, but
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ms. Marvel being killed off in a Spider-Man book
[close]
, when a movie with the character is coming soon, is such an odd decision to make.  But then they did the same thing with Dr. Strange.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6411 on: May 16, 2023, 11:40:24 PM »

This was the shocking event Marvel's editors and PR machine couldn't stop shouting was going to make readers hate the creators on the book.

twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1658525080119279626
Consumers should not warn others to avoid bad purchases?

« Reply #6412 on: May 17, 2023, 10:47:57 AM »

twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1658525080119279626
Consumers should not warn others to avoid bad purchases?

Consumers exist to feed the hype machine.

EDIT:

Also...

Only tangentially related, but who was the resetera/neogaf comic expert who claimed One More Day was J. Michael Straczynski's idea?

I vaguely remember his response to the sum total of Straczynski's Spider-Man efforts to reunite Peter and Mary-Jane over the course of maybe 50 issues as something in the area of "Nuh-uh!"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 04:53:38 PM by Sideshow Raheem »

Himu

« Reply #6414 on: July 29, 2023, 01:04:18 AM »
Holy crap, Hawkgirl #1 is utter crap. it starts out fine and then all of a sudden there's weird blue haired bimbo and then there's a lesbian and then it ends with blue hair girl being lesbians with some chick. And of course Hawkgirl sees her olld college roommate and she's a tattooed up divorcee that's now a lesbian who claims she might not actually be a woman with a political protest wearing a Black Lives Matter t-shirt in the next panel. Good Lord, endless gay leftist agenda stuff in these books. Communists ruin art. I won't be getting anymore Hawkgirl. Taking this book back to the comic shop and getting something else.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 01:14:53 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6415 on: July 29, 2023, 01:45:01 AM »
This weeks haul.

Review:

TMNT Last Ronin: Lost Day Special - Super good stuff.

TMNT Last Ronin Lost Years #4 - Already read. Super rad.

Hawkgirl #1 - leftist propaganda meant to destroy the family.

Blade #1 - Absolutely incredible. Look at this shit.

The perfect thing to cleanse my eyes of Hawkgirl.

Marvel sucks balls besides a few books but the ones that are good (Daredevil, Blade) are really good. DC, Image, and IDW are KILLING IT.

I'll get to the rest tomorrow.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #6416 on: July 29, 2023, 01:45:02 AM »
Holy crap, Hawkgirl #1 is utter crap. it starts out fine and then all of a sudden there's weird blue haired bimbo and then there's a lesbian and then it ends with blue hair girl being lesbians with some chick. And of course Hawkgirl sees her olld college roommate and she's a tattooed up divorcee that's now a lesbian who claims she might not actually be a woman with a political protest wearing a Black Lives Matter t-shirt in the next panel. Good Lord, endless gay leftist agenda stuff in these books. Communists ruin art. I won't be getting anymore Hawkgirl. Taking this book back to the comic shop and getting something else.
Should have looked up the author before buying, it was never going to be anything else breh:
https://twitter.com/planetx/status/1685070568251355137

KAPLAN: One aspect of the experience of being a trans woman or a trans girl that I haven’t seen touched on very often (in the few examples of media that feature us) is hypervisibility. Was it important to include this aspect of the trans woman experience in Galaxy: the Prettiest Star?

AXELROD: I transitioned in my 30s, so I was not a trans teenager. I did a lot of research into trans teenagers’ personal narratives, watched a lot of YouTube videos of people talking about their experiences. One thing that came up again and again, is that hypervisibility of shifting from being someone no one noticed, perhaps even because you try to keep from being noticed because you’re uncomfortable in your skin, to being someone that everyone can see and everyone can look at and point at and that that’s extremely difficult.

AXELROD: Yes, it’s been really incredible. One thing that was really important to me writing it was that it be unapologetically queer and unapologetically trans and to not have any qualifiers with that. To not present being trans as negative, but also not to present being trans as neutral. To not show it as something that it’s just like being cis because it’s not.

I wanted to show being trans is beautiful. I wanted to show being queer is beautiful and how queer love is transformative. We don’t get to see trans being beautiful. We see beautiful trans people.

We don’t see media so often, even if we have beautiful trans actors playing these roles, being trans is something that is never shown as something that is glorious and I really wanted to do that. That, I think more than anything, is what people are responding to. We were so starved for that, not just representation, but celebration.

AXELROD: Yes. That was the impetus in a very real way because as I said I didn’t transition until my 30s, and part of that was I’ve read old journals of myself when I was a teenager. There was definitely gender questions in there, but the representation of trans people in media was not something that resonated with me because it was all done by cis people. We were always a joke or something tragic or a big narrative trope – which is less now, which is great, but certainly then – was this idea that a trans woman is a failed man.

I had too much success at being a boy to be a girl. Part of that was I was working so hard to be a boy. The struggle was real. I really wanted to create an antidote to that and to help out the eggs who might be reading it and say, “you don’t have to fit in a specific box in order to feel this way.” These are just feelings and again, that’s where the sci-fi metaphor really, I think shines.

Jadzia Axelrod (also known as Jared Axelrod) is an author, an illustrator, and a world changer. Through out her eventful life she has also been a circus performer, a puppeteer, a graphic designer, a sculptor, a costume designer, a podcaster and quite a few other things that she’s lost track of but will no doubt remember when the situation calls for it. But that “writer” business, that seems to be one she keeps coming back to.

She is not domestic, she is a luxury, and in that sense, necessary.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #6417 on: July 29, 2023, 01:49:59 AM »
Should have looked up the author before buying, it was never going to be anything else breh:
https://twitter.com/planetx/status/1685070568251355137

KAPLAN: One aspect of the experience of being a trans woman or a trans girl that I haven’t seen touched on very often (in the few examples of media that feature us) is hypervisibility. Was it important to include this aspect of the trans woman experience in Galaxy: the Prettiest Star?

AXELROD: I transitioned in my 30s, so I was not a trans teenager. I did a lot of research into trans teenagers’ personal narratives, watched a lot of YouTube videos of people talking about their experiences. One thing that came up again and again, is that hypervisibility of shifting from being someone no one noticed, perhaps even because you try to keep from being noticed because you’re uncomfortable in your skin, to being someone that everyone can see and everyone can look at and point at and that that’s extremely difficult.

AXELROD: Yes, it’s been really incredible. One thing that was really important to me writing it was that it be unapologetically queer and unapologetically trans and to not have any qualifiers with that. To not present being trans as negative, but also not to present being trans as neutral. To not show it as something that it’s just like being cis because it’s not.

I wanted to show being trans is beautiful. I wanted to show being queer is beautiful and how queer love is transformative. We don’t get to see trans being beautiful. We see beautiful trans people.

We don’t see media so often, even if we have beautiful trans actors playing these roles, being trans is something that is never shown as something that is glorious and I really wanted to do that. That, I think more than anything, is what people are responding to. We were so starved for that, not just representation, but celebration.

AXELROD: Yes. That was the impetus in a very real way because as I said I didn’t transition until my 30s, and part of that was I’ve read old journals of myself when I was a teenager. There was definitely gender questions in there, but the representation of trans people in media was not something that resonated with me because it was all done by cis people. We were always a joke or something tragic or a big narrative trope – which is less now, which is great, but certainly then – was this idea that a trans woman is a failed man.

I had too much success at being a boy to be a girl. Part of that was I was working so hard to be a boy. The struggle was real. I really wanted to create an antidote to that and to help out the eggs who might be reading it and say, “you don’t have to fit in a specific box in order to feel this way.” These are just feelings and again, that’s where the sci-fi metaphor really, I think shines.

Jadzia Axelrod (also known as Jared Axelrod) is an author, an illustrator, and a world changer. Through out her eventful life she has also been a circus performer, a puppeteer, a graphic designer, a sculptor, a costume designer, a podcaster and quite a few other things that she’s lost track of but will no doubt remember when the situation calls for it. But that “writer” business, that seems to be one she keeps coming back to.

She is not domestic, she is a luxury, and in that sense, necessary.
[close]

After their other leftist pet projects bombed I figured it was safe they'd leave the commie propaganda alone for the time being but stupid me.

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #6418 on: July 29, 2023, 01:52:34 AM »
Low sales just means the people need to have fewer incorrect options. :ufup

Himu

« Reply #6419 on: July 29, 2023, 02:02:17 AM »
My Adventures With Superman is absolutely fantastic. Too many black characters for "diversity" (which ends up making the cast not very diverse funnily) though. Aside from that, five stars and a very human portrayal of comics greatest hero.
IYKYK