Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 819071 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #5460 on: December 12, 2018, 11:26:29 PM »
The first two seasons of Arrow and the first season of Flash are genuinely pretty good. Season two onwards of Legends of Tomorrow is amazing and ridiculous
They're guilty, cheesy pleasures that are CW shows more than anything else.

It's both of these.  I thought that Arrow season one was legit awesome and marathoned through it pretty quickly, which is something I don't usually do.  Flash season one is also pretty good and the way it leads into season two is a comic nerd's dream.  The seasons that follow have their ups and downs.  My biggest problem with Arrow and Flash in particular are that too many seasons' main villains are like evil versions of them.  How many evil archers did we really need?  Why is every Flash villain also a speedster?  HOLY FUCK STOP.   :lol  Legends Of Tomorrow takes a season to find its footing and the cast changes up a bit, but it gets pretty fun with them going to different time periods and related fuckery with villains who might be dead on Arrow or Flash popping up because it's the past.

Right now I'm still on the last seasons of these shows- have two more episodes of Legends, finished Flash (kind of a mixed season), and am halfway done on Arrow, which is pretty awful, but I want to watch it all anyway and get to the current season, which is apparently an improvement.

Supergirl is now part of the Arrowverse (season one was not), but takes place on an alternate earth.  I haven't really watched it apart from the crossover episodes.  They've done one a year for the past three years now.  They're pretty dumb, but it's fun to watch everyone together.

Another note about Arrow- he's basically Batman.  As in they even bring in Batman characters like Ra's Al Ghul and have a lot of storyline with his family, Lazarus pits, the league of assassins, and all that stuff.  You'll also get a ridiculous amount of back story that gets to the point where it feels like a hundred people were on the island that Ollie was shipwrecked on before he became the Green Arrow.  :lol

And finally, some cast members just don't go away and might pop up on all three core shows- some people play multiple versions of the same characters and in one season you might see like three versions of them because of flashbacks, alternate earths, or both.  It can get a little nutty but it's all part of the cheese.  Tom Cavanagh, who's on the Flash, plays a different version of his character Harrison Wells every season and it's actually pretty awesome.  You can tell he's having fun doing it.
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5461 on: December 13, 2018, 01:15:34 AM »
Supergirl was pretty garbage on CBS in the first season, except for the one episode that let Calista Flockhart really ham it up (I guess she's not even on the show anymore?), but I've heard great things about it since the channel switch and the move into the Arrowverse.

The fan stuff around the Arrowverse does a lot for it, like how it totally went and made Matt Ryan canon as Constantine just because all the fans wanted it. Plus, he's like the best.

Another note about Arrow- he's basically Batman.  As in they even bring in Batman characters like Ra's Al Ghul and have a lot of storyline with his family, Lazarus pits, the league of assassins, and all that stuff.  You'll also get a ridiculous amount of back story that gets to the point where it feels like a hundred people were on the island that Ollie was shipwrecked on before he became the Green Arrow.  :lol
This actually happens to Green Arrow all the time in his book. Either one or the other. Before Ollie first died, it was lots of Batman villain imports to RAISE THE STAKES. Then especially after New 52 rebooted him back to the island it was basically like that to the point where they randomly revealed there was a whole military base and thousands of paramilitary troops hanging out on the island that Ollie just happened to never run into! Also, TURNS OUT that the Queen family OWNS THE ISLAND!

benjipwns

« Reply #5462 on: December 16, 2018, 01:20:32 AM »
so some time ago i posted a bunch of hilarious panels from early Fantastic Four that were all stuff like Sue going "oh, I'm a woman, let me go play with my hair" or Reed yelling at her to get away from him he has to do man things like SCIENCE!

I'm reading the marvel masterworks of early Avengers and Stan Lee's all over The Wasp in those too, Scarlet Witch doesn't really get it other than her being frail and fainting every other issue, but Wasp does for whatever reason...even while like Sue she's randomly written as an actual smart and capable hero in her own right.

in one issue she has to free Cap and Hawkeye or they'll be DISINTEGRATED BY LASER BEAMS but she can't work the control panel of three switches: "IF ONLY I UNDERSTOOD THESE THINGS... LIKE A MAN" :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
also, this is like three issues after she saved the day and boasted about how working as hank's assistant while they were away led her to learn enough about science crap to totally disable some otherworldly machine
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #5463 on: December 16, 2018, 01:33:27 AM »
the intro to the one book by Roy Thomas (unlike Stan Lee's useless intros) explains why black people in early Marvel are all grey, it turns out that attempts to color them "accurately" wouldn't take because browns didn't hold up well to the full printing process, so they used grey otherwise they'd turn into something more offensive by the later pages if they appeared too often (the masterworks are digitally recolored but you can tell in the actual older comics browns get an awful shit like shade by later pages which I assume is what he was talking about)

more well known is this was a similar reason why Hulk was grey early on, they had problems with printing greens...but I never knew it was the same deal with the darkies

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5464 on: January 10, 2019, 07:04:35 AM »
For Tasty
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #5465 on: January 10, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »
:heart

The boys are back together :uguu

Tasty

« Reply #5466 on: January 10, 2019, 10:07:30 AM »
Bendis talking sense is starting to scare me. He’s saying all the right things. Tim/Kon/Bart/(Cass) is like the holy grail of teamups for me. The 90s run of YJ was so iconic and he seems to be treating them right. Uggghghhh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5467 on: January 10, 2019, 02:16:26 PM »
Bendis talking sense is starting to scare me. He’s saying all the right things. Tim/Kon/Bart/(Cass) is like the holy grail of teamups for me. The 90s run of YJ was so iconic and he seems to be treating them right. Uggghghhh

Stockholm syndrome  :doge

I can see him doing well with these characters actually.  That's a much better fit for his writing style than Superman.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5468 on: January 10, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »
I didn’t realize impulse still existed.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5469 on: January 10, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »
I didn’t realize clone Superboy still existed, especially in his original costume
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #5470 on: January 10, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »
Timkon is only like the biggest best ship ever but OK

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5471 on: January 10, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
I thought he was dead/replaced by son Superboy
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #5472 on: January 10, 2019, 07:28:25 PM »
I thought he was dead/replaced by son Superboy

Kon-El (90s Superboy) was wiped out by the New 52, then brought back in rebooted New 52 form -- but unrecognizable as the character he was before so no one cared when he got wiped out (or whatever happened to him) by the time of Rebirth. So I assume this is pre-New 52 Kon. He's a clone of Superman.

Jon Kent (current Superboy, though "current" is debatable at the moment because BENDIS) is Superman's biological son from pre-New 52 carried over to the current universe during Convergence shenanigans.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5473 on: January 10, 2019, 09:30:00 PM »
I read all the New 52 Superboy comics and completely forgot about him until your post, Tasty.  :lol

Summary below from Wikipedia.  Shit got real goofy at the end of the New 52 part, particularly him "dying" and being replaced with another evil Superboy.  It was pretty bad.

New 52:
In September 2011, The New 52 rebooted DC's continuity. In this new timeline, Superboy is introduced with an entirely different origin story. He first appears in Teen Titans #1, where he is the half-human half-Kryptonian clone creation of the mysterious organization N.O.W.H.E.R.E., which seeks to control the new generation of metahumans.

In the Superman/Supergirl/Superboy crossover storyline "H'El on Earth", he is attacked by a time traveling Kryptonian named H'El for being a clone, after which H'El delivers his body to Supergirl and Superman for execution. As clones were generally hated by Kryptonians, H'El believes this act will prove his loyalty to Krypton, but it instead triggers conflict between him and Superman, who doesn't wish to kill Kon-El. During the fight against H'El, Superboy and Superman come to know each other better and develop a feeling of friendship and understanding. Kon-El is surprised by Superman's heroism and is touched by it.

Following the "Forever Evil" Justice League storyline, the evil speedster Johnny Quick throws the Teen Titans forward in time. After he is separated from the Titans, Kon-El encounters Jon Lane Kent, the villainous future son of Superman and Lois Lane. Kon-El is actually a clone of Jon Lane Kent, created by Harvest (founder of N.O.W.H.E.R.E.) so that a cure could be found for Jon's illness. During their battle, Jon Lane Kent is seriously injured ,but then Kon-El falls through a portal and is transported to Krypton's Argo City in the past, days prior to planet's destruction. This leads to the 2013 Return to Krypton storyline. During the story, Kon-El uses the last of his powers to lift Argo City off of the dying Krypton, saving it so that a young Supergirl can arrive on Earth just as history records. He then dies with the planet, accepting himself as more than a "living weapon", in Superman #25.

Meanwhile, in Teen Titans, the unconscious and injured Jon Lane Kent is recovered by the Beast Boy and Rose Wilson of the future timeline. Despite being Jon Lane Kent, the future Beast Boy and Rose Wilson hide this and dress him in Kon-El's costume for their own purposes. The present day Teen Titans find Jon Lane Kent in Kon-El's costume—unaware of Jon Lane Kent's existence—and take him back to the modern day era where he pretends to be their version of Superboy. The Teen Titans are unaware that Kon-El is "dead" and that they have an impostor in their midst who intends to kill all of Earth's meta-humans, although Superman and Supergirl believe Kon-El is dead and have not told the Titans. It is later revealed that Kon-El is still alive serving a being called the Oracle, patrolling past, present, and future.

Kon-El's consciousness is pulled into a pocket universe (dimension) when Jon Lane Kent touches his Psycho Future Self with all other Kons and Jons of the multiverse. The Future Jon taps into all other Kons and Jons except this dimension's Kon and younger Jon. The younger Jon heroically sacrifices himself to destroy the elder Jon, obliterating them both through his TK, sending all the other Jons and Kons back to their respective timelines, dimensions and universes. Jon isn't erased from history, and his actions outside of the pocket universe are well remembered, but he is truly gone, leaving Kon-El once again as Superboy. Kon-El is later revealed to travel all across the world and train and practice various forms of meditation and inner peace of mind as indicated in Supergirl comics. He later joins the Teen Titans.

DC Rebirth
In DC Rebirth, the mantle of Superboy is held by Jonathan Samuel "Jon" Kent, the son of Kal-El and Lois Lane, with Conner seemingly having never existed. Conner Kent/Superman from the Titans Tomorrow timeline makes an appearance in Detective Comics #966, where he asks Tim Drake/Batman to return to the Titans. Tim is subsequently captured by Mr. Oz, but escapes with the younger present-day Tim Drake. Before sending the younger Tim back to the past, the older Tim asks his younger self to reconcile his friendship with Conner. The young Tim Drake responds that he doesn't know who Conner is, leading the older Tim to realize that time has been altered. Tim mentioned later mentioned that although he didn't know why, he felt Conner's name "tugging at my heart".[24] The New 52 Kon-El is also lightly referenced in Red Hood and the Outlaws when the Outlaws and the Suicide Squad explore a N.O.W.H.E.R.E. facility and Bizarro (whose brain chemistry was enhanced making him smarter) had Deadshot and Captain Boomerang accompany him to shut down the facility's main generator as he was aware that since it was designed to be protected against Kryptonians due to another clone (with Harvest and Kon-El seen in a flashback) and Bizarro knew he would die if he attempted to shut it down by himself.[25] When the post-Rebirth Superman reviews his own life story, which incorporates elements of the pre- and post-Flashpoint Superman, Kon-El is not mentioned as one of the “replacements” who arose following Superman’s death at the hands of Doomsday.[26]

The Titans of Tomorrow version of Conner later appeared in the Super-Sons of Tomorrow crossover where he along with his universe's version of Wonder Woman and The Flash travel back to the past to prevent their unhinged teammate Tim Drake (Batman) from killing Jon. He would later help stop Jons Solar Flare power from going out of control. Before they return to their time, Conner chooses not to disclose any information to Superman to prevent it from affecting the future.

Wonder Comics
It was announced at New York Comic Con that Conner would finally be brought back into continuity in the upcoming Young Justice title as part of DC's new Wonder Comics imprint.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5474 on: January 10, 2019, 09:33:56 PM »
God, fuck Scott Lobdell.

With Bendis it was like a bandaid was ripped off. It was bad, but at least it was all at once all up-front.

With Lobdell it was like being lowered into a vat of avid over the course of years. Because that's what he did: threw my favorite characters into metaphorical acid.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5475 on: January 11, 2019, 09:10:55 AM »
Ah, the New 52.  I miss no-pants, anime-haircut Supergirl.  :doge

I don't miss New 52 Lobo. :yuck

WTF were they thinking?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:31:54 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5476 on: January 11, 2019, 09:23:08 AM »
What happened to Earth 2?  I actually enjoyed the New 52 take on these characters and it sucks that they canceled the series.  :-\
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5477 on: January 14, 2019, 11:20:19 PM »
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/superman/278597/superman-7-reveals-big-changes-for-superboy

I knew this would probably come eventually but it just reeeeeeaaaallly fucking robs Jon of what made him feel special and his amazing relationship with Superdad. Now he's generic teen Superboy practically ripped from the Silver age. UUUUGHH BENDIS!!!!!!!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5478 on: January 14, 2019, 11:36:27 PM »
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/superman/278597/superman-7-reveals-big-changes-for-superboy

I knew this would probably come eventually but it just reeeeeeaaaallly fucking robs Jon of what made him feel special and his amazing relationship with Superdad. Now he's generic teen Superboy practically ripped from the Silver age. UUUUGHH BENDIS!!!!!!!

Seems even more pointless when there's the other teenage Superboy back now.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5479 on: January 14, 2019, 11:53:49 PM »
YEAH YOU THINK

kingv

« Reply #5480 on: January 15, 2019, 12:42:47 AM »
Anyone know how Bendis man is selling?

Despite really liking some of Bendis’s stuff, I sort of have a visceral dislike for him at the same time. And dropped all Superman stuff after he took over.

It’s been a while since reading 90s super man/boy, but why is a super Boy named Kon-el? Like, why does he even have a kryptonian name? Iirc he’s not a straight up clone of Superman anyway because Star Labs couldn’t figure out Supes DNA and so he’s only like pseudo kryptonian, which is why he has different powers.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5481 on: January 15, 2019, 05:44:12 AM »

For the 90s clone, wiki sez:
"Superman gives him his first real name "Kon-El" (after a descendant of the second House of El and Superman's cousin in spirit)."

New52:
"When he was confronted by Supergirl, Kara Zor-El, dubbed him that name upon realizing he was a clone,[42] his new moniker being an insult or slur, having "kon" meaning abomination in the Kryptonian language, and El was added, both mockingly resembling Kryptonian naming conventions and recognizing him as an offense against her family."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:50:55 AM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5482 on: January 15, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
New52 is actually a cool explanation, but in the New52 way of overexplaining shit that didn't need to be.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #5483 on: January 15, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »
So Bendis gonna Bendis then, cool  :doge

Its funny there was a time he was actually ok writing wise :yeshrug

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #5484 on: January 15, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
Ah, the New 52.  I miss no-pants, anime-haircut Supergirl.  :doge

(Image removed from quote.)

???  :whoo :whew  :doge 

Who thought that was okay?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5485 on: January 15, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
The crotch-plate thing is weird as hell.  But worse are the knee-high boots with the kneecap areas exposed.  Like...what?

Didn't mind it when certain artists drew the character though.  Looks OK here.

Maybe they were trying to go for a Powergirl-inspired look or something.  Speaking of which, Powergirl started off like this in the New 52, with a George Perez redesign:

:donot

Hard to believe that's not from 1975.  It didn't last long and she was reverted back to her old costume soon enough.  In Earth 2 she even got an S-crest.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5486 on: January 15, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
https://www.cbr.com/dc-new-52-costumes/

They liked it, but IMO the Red Robin costume is kinda bad.  I think it's the wings I don't like.

I dunno what's wrong with New 52 Nightwing, though- looks OK to me.  ???  is the switch to red accents that big of a deal?

Deadshot is the worst.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5487 on: January 15, 2019, 11:49:13 AM »
Was this also New 52 era?   :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck

ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5488 on: January 15, 2019, 11:51:45 AM »
I think Wonderpants Woman was abandoned before it went to print. Dunno what the outrage was about lol, seems fine to me.

Timmy's Swan Princess costume just sucked, and it sucked even worse when drawn by Brett Booth :yuck

Tasty

« Reply #5489 on: January 15, 2019, 11:53:22 AM »
Red Nightwing made sense in the New 52 way of color-coordinating everything (to the point of making Beast Boy red since as a fusion of animals he wasn't part of "The Green" from fucking Swamp Thing), but his blue outfit is classic and honestly doesn't ever need to really be changed. Took them two tries (Disco Nightwing :lol) but they definitely nailed that second try.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5490 on: January 15, 2019, 12:05:18 PM »
Oh man, yeah- this was so bad.  So.  Bad.    :lol

I think Wonderpants Woman was abandoned before it went to print. Dunno what the outrage was about lol, seems fine to me.

You're thinking of the Jim Lee redesign, where fanboys were so :punch OUTRAGED BY PANTS :punch that they changed the design to trunks:

The armor came later on.  For all the complaining people do about Wonder Woman's costume, what seems way, way more exposed to me is her chest.  Maybe this is a little too 'anime' but I like how the DC animated take on the New 52 costume:
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5491 on: January 15, 2019, 12:13:15 PM »
Also I do not like this recent trend of the "underwear on the outside of the pants" look coming back again.   :'(
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5492 on: January 18, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »
ROB

"Major X comes from a realm, another plane, called 'The X-istence.' It is populated only by mutants," Liefeld explained. "It's their special place. They're happy. They're living in harmony. The events that cause this portal to open, and for this 'The X-istence' to exist at all are subjects we deal with, and we answer. The absolute formation of The X-istence. Major X hails from there, and his home, the reason he's here encountering the current modern-day Marvel mutant landscape, is because The X-istence has been destroyed, and he is on a journey to restore his home."

The idea for Major X actually stems back from an aborted project Liefeld admittedly was reluctant to pitch back in 1992.

-Holy shit, no pouches anywhere?  Rob, you feeling OK buddy?
-Why the hell is Cable there?  Cable was killed (by young Cable) in X-Men Extermination.
-Wow, he drew feet.
-Everyone has pretty much the same hairline.
-What is going on around Wolverine's face?  I assume that's supposed to be whiskers but it looks like skin.

ど助平

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5493 on: January 18, 2019, 03:50:44 PM »
Beast’s face is killing me  :lol
WDW

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5494 on: January 18, 2019, 06:13:23 PM »
Cable was killed (by young Cable)

:what

Yeah.  :lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/extermination-cable-mystery-character-explained/amp/

So Cable thought that Cable was too soft to do the job and killed...himself.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5495 on: January 18, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
Comics, am I right fellas :mike

benjipwns

« Reply #5496 on: January 18, 2019, 11:40:51 PM »
found some panels of Zoe Quinn's comic lol

DIGITALLY MULTITASK IN THE ANALOG

benjipwns

« Reply #5497 on: January 18, 2019, 11:53:14 PM »
What happened to Earth 2?  I actually enjoyed the New 52 take on these characters and it sucks that they canceled the series.  :-\
Earth 2 -> Earth 2: World's End* -> Convergence -> Earth 2: Society

fork at World's End -> Future's End which portrays a reality in which Earth 2 survivors went to Earth Prime and became outcasts

Earth 2 "ended" because New 52 did...half the plots died in the books because the writers left and each new writer didn't want to pick it up, this was especially bad in one case because James Robinson, the original writer, had scripted out an extended plotline and not the incoming writers, but the editors wanted his plans throw out to try and make the book more friendly to Earth Prime readers which is why Power Girl and Helena/Huntress/Robin come back and there's more Batman and a Superman and etc.

Justice League 3000 is even more hilariously mistreated and drops nearly every plotline started, becomes rebooted as a neo-JLI that's setting up to be quite fun and then is left as a cliffhanger as they almost pencil in the margins "this plotline was resolved somehow at somepoint, now onto the next page"

*an agreement was made in which Darkseid was allowed to conquer one Earth in the multiverse, Earth 2

benjipwns

« Reply #5498 on: January 18, 2019, 11:56:17 PM »
the old late 90s-2000s, multivolume Justice Society series runs were the base for a lot of the Earth 2 characters (albeit with pre-existing characters rather than ones he was free to revamp and recreate entirely) and also written by James Robinson, very similar themes, especially the whole lack of comfort by characters with being a "superhero" and what that means

Starman is the prequel to those more or less

Tasty

« Reply #5499 on: January 19, 2019, 08:59:22 AM »
found some panels of Zoe Quinn's comic lol

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

DIGITALLY MULTITASK IN THE ANALOG

This reads like a webcomic with better art.

Purple Filth

« Reply #5500 on: January 20, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »
Rob Liefield is doing Marvel stuff again?

huh  :doge

kingv

« Reply #5501 on: January 21, 2019, 10:08:43 PM »
He’s been perfecting his feet for the last 20 years and now he’s back.

Also, I got the trades free for the relaunch of Blood Strike and kind of liked it, even though it has shitty art. I get nostalgic for that 90s cheese, and this is probably a bit better than the originals.

Of course, like half of Marvels books have shitty art now, so I’ve kind of gotten used to that too

benjipwns

« Reply #5502 on: January 21, 2019, 11:53:08 PM »
It's not just Marvel, I've really been surprised how bad comic art has become, and it's been fast, last couple years really went in the toliet as everyone went 180 degrees away from every normal comic art standard that pulled the 2000s out of the gutter.

IIRC, both of the companies did a bunch of hiring of people off the internet, as a cost saver, and it hasn't really worked out, with most of them out of the industry in a few months because they can't keep the schedule. Aside from the ones that names like Snyder can drag around with him no matter how bad their art is.

benjipwns

« Reply #5503 on: January 21, 2019, 11:55:07 PM »
Hell, those Zoe Quinn comic panels I posted above has better art than many mainstream big property titles. And it's a comic that sells so few copies that it would get delisted from the tracking services except it's a limited series and so exempt. :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5504 on: January 22, 2019, 10:47:15 AM »
Earth 2 -> Earth 2: World's End* -> Convergence -> Earth 2: Society

fork at World's End -> Future's End which portrays a reality in which Earth 2 survivors went to Earth Prime and became outcasts

Earth 2 "ended" because New 52 did...half the plots died in the books because the writers left and each new writer didn't want to pick it up, this was especially bad in one case because James Robinson, the original writer, had scripted out an extended plotline and not the incoming writers, but the editors wanted his plans throw out to try and make the book more friendly to Earth Prime readers which is why Power Girl and Helena/Huntress/Robin come back and there's more Batman and a Superman and etc.

Justice League 3000 is even more hilariously mistreated and drops nearly every plotline started, becomes rebooted as a neo-JLI that's setting up to be quite fun and then is left as a cliffhanger as they almost pencil in the margins "this plotline was resolved somehow at somepoint, now onto the next page"

*an agreement was made in which Darkseid was allowed to conquer one Earth in the multiverse, Earth 2

I read all that!   :)  I meant they ended it and haven't gone back.  Those characters seem lost to the ether now.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5505 on: January 22, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »
Hell, those Zoe Quinn comic panels I posted above has better art than many mainstream big property titles. And it's a comic that sells so few copies that it would get delisted from the tracking services except it's a limited series and so exempt. :lol

2 books recently I’ve been catching up on really caught my attention as being absolutely terrible art.

1) Weapon X. They made an artist change around the time Omega Red joined the team. And the art is just terrible. I’ve seen better commissions done for $15 at a con in 20 minutes.
2) the new exiles book. It’s drawn by Javier Rodriguez who has drawn a lot of books, but he’s just doing a terrible job here. For some reason blink looks exactly like a pink squirrel girl. I think, maybe, he’s trying to make Blink actually look like she is actually from the West Indies, by giving her a wider nose and thicker lips and  a different hair texture... maybe?! But it looks bad and doesn’t really look anything like the character has ever looked in any other book.

And then he also did this panel with Kang that is just terrible. Like his eyes are popped out past his mask. It just looks incredibly dumb.

I’ve never really liked his art much, but He’s drawn some books that I st least didn’t find objectionable. But his work in exiles is just trash tier.

Obviously the best way to make money on the big books is to knock out as much art as possible, so sometimes you get a guy who can hit deadlines in the most mediocre way possible and just ends up doing tons of work because of it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5507 on: January 22, 2019, 11:56:27 PM »
Yup.  The Weapon X art change was so drastic and killed it for me.

Exiles was canceled.  Shock!  :doge
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5508 on: January 23, 2019, 01:21:18 AM »
Exiles like runaways is one of those series I always have a fondness for but none of the follow ups really were able to capture the magic of the original.

That story where it was like hunger games with runaways was close though. I really enjoyed that shit.

Exiles really started to suck once Chris Claremont wrote it.

I’d still be down for another go at the team (which will happen in 3 years I’m sure) but please don’t have the guy that doesn’t draw squirrel girl but draws just like the person that draws squirrel girl draw it.

That type of art belongs in joke books imo. Javier Rodriguez can do a Forbush man ongoing or Ambish big.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5509 on: January 24, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
Exiles really started to suck once Chris Claremont wrote it.

On one hand, I was glad to see Psylocke get resurrected.  On the other, it became very...Claremont...with too much of a focus on her and "capers" (who the hell talks like that, lol) involving obscure characters like Slaymaster and shit popping up as villains. 

I’d still be down for another go at the team (which will happen in 3 years I’m sure) but please don’t have the guy that doesn’t draw squirrel girl but draws just like the person that draws squirrel girl draw it.

They need to stop making it all about Blink already.  Move on with a new cast and/or go back to having it rotate like the original series did.  Go back to things being "characters fucking around in 'What If' scenario-worlds" again without worrying about someone destroying time or timekeepers or Watcher-Nick Fury or any of that crap.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5510 on: January 25, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »
Claremont is funny to me.

For a long time he was mentioned as a comic book writer with the stature as like an Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, o
Brian Michael Bendis, and Todd Mcfarlane.

But now I just can’t see it at all. His writing seems anachronistic in the worst possible way. Not just in the stylistic way of “comics in the 80s were wordier/less natural language”. It just seems corny and bad.

kingv

« Reply #5511 on: January 25, 2019, 06:16:06 PM »
I would just say he’s problematic and a bit yikes and that whether to read his stuff is a nope from me Dawg.

Tasty

« Reply #5512 on: January 27, 2019, 07:34:36 PM »

Oh my god drusilla honey what did they do to you

benjipwns

« Reply #5513 on: January 28, 2019, 03:29:27 AM »
but...why?

kingv

« Reply #5514 on: January 28, 2019, 08:43:31 AM »
They knew the true portrait of female power was Hillary Clinton.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5515 on: February 12, 2019, 02:41:05 AM »
Uncanny X-men 11 was fantastic. Best issue of X-men I've read in a long time.

After the Annual, I thought we were going to see Cyclops devolve into the boy scout leader. Throw out the rugged development as seen in the Whedon and Morrison runs. But in 11 that dosen't happen. He tells Cap to fuck off. So while he does want to be repentant for what he's done, he hasn't become the uncool floor mat he use to be.  The scene where he teams up with Wolverine was great.

I don't know it just seems to be the start of an actual storyline that feels like actual things are happening.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5516 on: February 13, 2019, 07:57:22 AM »
Uncanny X-men 11 was fantastic. Best issue of X-men I've read in a long time.

After the Annual, I thought we were going to see Cyclops devolve into the boy scout leader. Throw out the rugged development as seen in the Whedon and Morrison runs. But in 11 that dosen't happen. He tells Cap to fuck off. So while he does want to be repentant for what he's done, he hasn't become the uncool floor mat he use to be.  The scene where he teams up with Wolverine was great.

I don't know it just seems to be the start of an actual storyline that feels like actual things are happening.

Hoping this leads back to something more along the lines of the early 90s X-Men and gets everything back to how it used to be.  Should be fun having Cyclops and Wolverine make a new X-Men line-up, but once the Age Of X storyline is over, all the others are going to come back and who knows how the writers are going to handle all those characters.  I think having one X-Men book is just not enough and they need to go back to two or even three team books again. 

Also funny that Wolverine has already come back to the X-Men- the Return Of Wolverine mini-series still isn't finished yet. 
ど助平

Purple Filth

« Reply #5517 on: February 14, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »
So Cyclops really did come back  :doge

Sounds like they are trying to have a balance which seems like the best option.

Also isn't Jean still doing stuff with her Xmen Red team?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5518 on: February 21, 2019, 09:39:27 PM »
So Cyclops really did come back  :doge

Sounds like they are trying to have a balance which seems like the best option.

Also isn't Jean still doing stuff with her Xmen Red team?

I think X-Men Red is over now? 

Cyclops is back and the story was told in an annual, IIRC. 
Kid Cable does his time travel thing and finds some doctor to make a thing that uses a tiny fragment of the phoenix force to bring Cyclops back to the life.  Cyclops then stays in hiding for a while and does some things here and there before finally going back to find the X-Men. 
[close]

Return Of Wolverine just ended (Wolverine stops the bad guy, gets his memories back...and that's about it) and felt pretty pointless.  His corpse was being used to do things for quite a while but we have no idea what was done.  Maybe they'll go back to it later on.  No time for that, because this week also saw the first issue of Wolverine: Infinity Watch, which picks up right where Return Of Wolverine #5 left off.

Time for more retcon fun- The Wolverine who showed up a couple of years ago in Marvel Legacy with an infinite gem? 
Not the current Logan!  Instead they now changed it so it's the far-far-future old man Phoenix Wolverine who first showed up in the current Thor series.  He went back in time in disguise and was doin' thangs too.
[close]
:dead

I'm really behind on comics and have no idea what's going on in all these "Infinite" comics.  I see Marvel has another event on the way already now too.
ど助平

Purple Filth

« Reply #5519 on: February 21, 2019, 11:29:36 PM »
Yea I had gotten my answer to X-men Red plus Cyke being back LOL

Apparently

the X-men (with Jean and the Red team) are dead since there was this whole thing with Nate Grey returning and being God. In the aftermath the humans didn't give a fuck the x-men were dead and instead celebrated their demise, then went on with their lives. Also there is some vaccine that suppresses/kills the mutant gene now :yeshrug:

Then it shows Cyke being alive reading a newspaper article but in civilian clothing and being like "what the fuck humanity" then crushing and throwing the paper away
[close]

All of this sounds fucking weird  :beli
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:43:17 PM by Purple Filth »