Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 802714 times)

Tieno

• Iconz
Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #360 on: January 28, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
So last year I started and finished the 100 pushup program http://hundredpushups.com/. Took me way more than 6 weeks (about 3 - 4 months, I think). Not having a goal, I started the program again 2 weeks ago, this time on push up bars. WAY harder. Breezed through week 1 and 2, managed week 3. But week 4 is hard. I'm at the set of week 4 day 2. Don't know if I'll ever get to 100, but the program is challenging and doesn't require that much time and that's good enough for now.
I also bought the Iphone app so I don't always have to write it down and I can track my progress more easily.

I bought bars similar to this model last year.

Cheap and they're better than these, which I initially bought.

These suck, they broke after a few times and they don't grip that well to the floor.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:13:23 PM by Tieno »
i

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #361 on: January 28, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
I had some of those (well, the general type), but I got better results from using octagonal dumbbells. That way I can switch to rows whenever I feel like it.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #362 on: January 28, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »
To get the most out of it, you're supposed to do literally nothing else, right?

There have been a few threads on this on the crossfit boards - some people reported blacking out mid-rep around the high teens :lol Scary, scary stuff.

I do some leg curls and extensions on a machine but at a low weight but yeah, that is about it.  Of course, once you're done with your 20, you won't want to do any more leg lifts...or stand even.

I don't black out but I've definitely come close.  I only do these when I have a trusted spotter.
🍆🍆

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #363 on: January 28, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »
Ran 8 miles this afternoon after work.

I really got start mixing some weights in with all this running.  Seems like that's all I do anymore.
Tacos

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #364 on: January 28, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
goddamn hitler.  how long did it take?

no running for me today.  tired as shitty.  terrible day.  feel kinda sick.  i'll make up for it at some point or something. 

if i feel like it later i'll still do my situps and pushups.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #365 on: January 28, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »
It took me about an hour and 20 minutes, but I'm pretty sure I could get it done faster if I used the treadmill in the gym instead of going outside on my route which is infested with all those damn hills.  :punch  Slows me down.
Tacos

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #366 on: January 29, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »
Damn.  It takes me about 40 minutes to do 3 and a half on a treadmill.  You're quite the machine!

I didn't do shit last night and I feel terrible about it. 

Plus I don't think I'll be able to hit the gym tonight.  I won't get home til like 7:30.  We're going to go see a play with a friend that starts at 8 and then we said we'd have dinner with her after. 

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I had a dream about lifting last night too.  I dreamed I was doing some really heavy squats (don't know how much was on there but I remember lifting that shit was a bitch) and then when I finished i got on the bench and I think it was 225 on it and I benched it.  Goddamn, I'm becoming obsessed :'(

archie4208

« Reply #367 on: January 29, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »
Did 5x5 squats at 235 today :rock  I also took Cormac's advice about bailing out if needed and was able to go slightly deeper than usual.  Thankfully I didn't have to use his advice!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:23:04 PM by archie4208 »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #368 on: January 29, 2010, 04:41:20 PM »
Going deep on the squats is almost entirely mental. It's hard NOT to go downwards with a bunch of weight on your back, yet people will give you all kinds of nonsense about not being flexible enough.

Most people just resist. I've been trying to get my training partner to get that last inch or two he needs to go properly below parallel for months now. He can do it fine during warm-ups but he just will not do it once the weight gets heavy.

Knowing how to bail definitely helps, although there is nothing more annoying than having to bail on the very last rep like I did last night. (3x5 @117.5kg/259lbs). Means I have to do that weight all over again next time.

vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #369 on: January 29, 2010, 05:12:10 PM »
259 lbs?  goddamnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I get to go to the gym tonight afterall.  i'll be up to 170 on the squats, so i'm hoping I feel a bit more this time around.  I woke up with some good soreness in my thighs today. 

If I can get another good rep on my bench, I'm bumping up the weight on that fucker too. 

Also, the other night I got 25 assisted pullups down.  I'm going to see if I can beat that tonight.  If I can, I'm lower the assist weight.

fuck yeah!

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2010, 12:19:04 PM »
In my opinion, getting into the heavier weights for squats is all about trusting your spotter.  If you have a good spotter, you're more likely to get parallel because if something happens, they've got you.  If you have some dude you just asked, you won't be likely to go down those extra two inches because you know that you're probably on your own.  A good spotter is about inspiring enough confidence.

I never would have really made it past 315 lbs if it wasn't for having someone I trusted spot me.
🍆🍆

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2010, 12:46:27 PM »
I've been absentee from working out this week, because I got stuck with a really bad cold. I'm hitting it hard tomorrow.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
T EXP - never felt like i've needed a spotter. I feel completely safe just dumping it on the supports. You don't use those?

man, i still hurt all over. I think I'm going to take it easy next week and just do the auxiliary lifts (cleans, presses). Maybe do some running. Then maybe another month or so of Starting Strength before transitioning back to Crossfit WODs. I've put on 10-12lbs over the past month, which is fine but I don't want to do that again next month!
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #373 on: January 31, 2010, 07:47:23 AM »
I have a spotter a lot of times because it gives a psychological edge.  Sure, it's a placebo effect but after a certain weight, I'll take all the placebo effects I can use.  Plus a lot of times, I can get a good critique (if I have a good spotter) if something doesn't seem right.

I don't have a good spotter these days now that I moved.  I typically just ask some dude but I've gone without.  I just like having someone there...behind me (no homo).

After squats, if it is around, I go to the sauna and chill out for a while.  It seems to help subside some of the aching that goes on that day.  I tried doing it after the second day after squatting but it doesn't work too well :'(
🍆🍆

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #374 on: January 31, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
Critique Please:
http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/250

I am looking at the Greek Yogurt, Canned Salmon, and Green Tea suggestions. I eat cottage cheese, but not any type of yogurt, and I also eat canned tuna. Also, I drink a ton of coffee, so is switching to Green Tea going to do anything, other than lower my dependency on caffeine?
jon

archie4208

« Reply #375 on: January 31, 2010, 01:03:34 PM »
*looks up Greek Yogurt nutritional information*

:o :o :o

I am going to the grocery store this afternoon!

cool breeze

« Reply #376 on: January 31, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »
The most common Greek Yogurt is probably Fage.  I know that when I go to Trader Joes, they have other kinds, but Fage is what you find in most big grocery stores.  They have the full fat one, 2% and fat free.

Greek yogurt is really good, yeah.

Rman

« Reply #377 on: January 31, 2010, 02:29:33 PM »
Go for the full fat.  It's yummy.  Fage is awesome stuff.  I just eat it plain.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:31:29 PM by Rman »

duckman2000

« Reply #378 on: January 31, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
It also makes a mean base for a mean tzatziki. Greek yogurt is awesome.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #379 on: January 31, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »
Just got some greek yogurt and omg...

All I could find was the full fat version but it is very good.  A shame that the full fat version has 7g of saturated fat for 4 oz. but whatever.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #380 on: January 31, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »
I keep posting this but just in case: full-fat is actually better in almost all instances because the fat blunts the insulin spike. Full-fat milk, for example, is fairly close to a 1:1:1 ratio for protein, fat and carbs i.e. pretty close to an optimal macronutrient ratio. The low-fat versions are all messed up by contrast.

In other words, full-fat everything, all the time :rock
vjj

Rman

« Reply #381 on: January 31, 2010, 10:00:39 PM »
I keep posting this but just in case: full-fat is actually better in almost all instances because the fat blunts the insulin spike. Full-fat milk, for example, is fairly close to a 1:1:1 ratio for protein, fat and carbs i.e. pretty close to an optimal macronutrient ratio. The low-fat versions are all messed up by contrast.

Was just about to post this.  We've become way too fat phobic. 

« Reply #382 on: January 31, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »

I'd get sick if I drank full-fat milk.  :yuck
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #383 on: January 31, 2010, 10:05:04 PM »
I think I need to start a big .txt file of all this shit I should just re-post in these threads rather than typing it all out again.

Anyway, I like to make fruit salads with yoghurt, and some nuts to boost the fat yet more. I'm still searching for some way to sensibly add more protein to that.

(i know, i should just jizz in the yoghurt, no-one would even notice. it's tiring though)
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #384 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »

smh

oh well, try to derive some joy from your bleak and drab existence, it was nice knowing you.

btw, i talked to some friends about a Hitachino trip. PM me your email and i'll start an email chain with them and see if we can figure something out.
vjj

« Reply #385 on: January 31, 2010, 10:21:40 PM »

smh

oh well, try to derive some joy from your bleak and drab existence, it was nice knowing you.

I love full fat foods, but I just can't drink full fat milk. The taste of it makes me physically ill.

btw, i talked to some friends about a Hitachino trip. PM me your email and i'll start an email chain with them and see if we can figure something out.

DCharlie is working on Giants tickets, sounds like the Saturday April 10th game (2pm) works best.
野球

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #386 on: January 31, 2010, 10:41:22 PM »
So last year I started and finished the 100 pushup program http://hundredpushups.com/. Took me way more than 6 weeks (about 3 - 4 months, I think). Not having a goal, I started the program again 2 weeks ago, this time on push up bars. WAY harder. Breezed through week 1 and 2, managed week 3. But week 4 is hard. I'm at the set of week 4 day 2. Don't know if I'll ever get to 100, but the program is challenging and doesn't require that much time and that's good enough for now.
I also bought the Iphone app so I don't always have to write it down and I can track my progress more easily.

i haven't worked out in a long time because the bitter cold makes it really tough to motivate my ass to the gym, so i'm going to give this 100 push ups thing a shot and by the time the program is over, it will be warm enough for me to wake up ungodly early and go back to the gym
Tonya

Rman

« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2010, 11:35:40 PM »
I could never work out in the morning.  I usually get my workouts in after work. Doing so combats the evening malaise pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:12:38 AM by Rman »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2010, 11:42:45 PM »
mmmm, greek yogurt
duc

« Reply #389 on: February 01, 2010, 12:53:04 AM »
I could never work out in the morning.  I usually get my workouts in after work. Doing so combats the evening malaise pretty well.

My wife gets up at 5am to go the gym. I can't do it. I like running when I get home from work.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #390 on: February 01, 2010, 01:01:20 AM »
I pretty much only work out on my lunch break!

rockin' on the company dime :rock
vjj

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #391 on: February 01, 2010, 06:52:55 AM »
My wife gets up at 5am to go the gym.

That's what I've been doing since I started work, as well. There is just enough time for me to get the lifts in before I have to come home, shower, and make the commute.
jon

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #392 on: February 01, 2010, 12:47:35 PM »
I know they say to work out at or near the same time every day, but my schedule doesn't allow it.  I work out whenever I can, but I usually prefer in the mornings if I can.  It gives me more time to goof around with my kid in the afternoon.
WTF

archie4208

« Reply #393 on: February 01, 2010, 01:45:11 PM »
I squatted 240 today but I had to bail during the second rep of the last set.  Still not to bad considering 4 months ago I was only squatting 65 lbs. :p

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2010, 02:24:22 PM »
i work out 9-10:30. i have some flexibility to set my own hours, though
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #395 on: February 01, 2010, 06:32:14 PM »
I know they say to work out at or near the same time every day, but my schedule doesn't allow it.  I work out whenever I can, but I usually prefer in the mornings if I can.  It gives me more time to goof around with my kid in the afternoon.

The perceived need to work out at the same time every day is nonsense. When do you actually plan on using your fitness? 24hrs/day, right? No reason you can't train that way.
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #396 on: February 01, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
Yeah, that really goes back to the practical strength thing, and simulation sickness. Ideally, you'd have your own strength training Cato to throw surprise exercises and real applications of strength at you.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »
Lots of Crossfitters follow randomized schedules for this reason. Although I think waking up just to workout, then going back to sleep is a bit much. But there are folks who see a benefit to training that way (first responders who may get woken in the middle of the night and have to go from 0-100 real fast).

The hardcore also eat 'randomly', i.e. intermittent fasting. Seems to work really well for many.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #398 on: February 02, 2010, 01:00:02 AM »
Lots of Crossfitters follow randomized schedules for this reason. Although I think waking up just to workout, then going back to sleep is a bit much. But there are folks who see a benefit to training that way (first responders who may get woken in the middle of the night and have to go from 0-100 real fast).

The hardcore also eat 'randomly', i.e. intermittent fasting. Seems to work really well for many.

I'm an EMT and it's hard enough to get me out of bed in the middle of the night as it is...  :lol

But I think they said the workout time being on schedule had something to do with your body building up maximum testosterone right before your workouts if on routine.  Don't know how true that is.  But generally, I feel good to go the next day regardless of when I work out the day before.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #399 on: February 02, 2010, 01:05:17 AM »
The biggest problem with that line of thinking is that it gets used as an excuse NOT to workout, i.e. Oh god, i'm gonna miss my protein intake window because of that meeting i have to go to, can't go to the gym today!

Just do it whenever you can. People get too hung up on having some optimal set of circumstances in place before they will move their lazy asses. You don't need your $100 sneakers, you don't need a trainer, you don't need to be indoors in a temperature-controlled environment - the list goes on.
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #400 on: February 02, 2010, 06:46:23 AM »
Unless you're asocial or firmly entrenched in a rut, there will always be things that get in the way of your routine.  You just have to adapt.

Reminds me of the storm duty I worked on.  Worked for 28 hours straight, got a workout in, ate some eggs and some oatmeal, and then slept.

If I had a friend that I hadn't seen for a while (moved away, military, etc.) and they were coming in on Saturday where my cheat day was a Sunday, do you think I said, "Oh gee, I can't go to your barbecue and drink until tomorrow!"  No, I ate and drank and went a whole week before the next cheat day.

Stuff like that.  Things will pop up - if you're motivated enough, you'll find a way to stay on track without compromising your work or social lives.
🍆🍆

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #401 on: February 02, 2010, 04:00:15 PM »

I bought bars similar to this model last year.
(Image removed from quote.)
Cheap and they're better than these, which I initially bought.
[mg]http://images.luckyvitamin.com/mgen/merchandizer:77980.jpg[/img]
These suck, they broke after a few times and they don't grip that well to the floor.

I'm on week 5. I can do 60 in one go, atm. Started at 30 when I began the program 21 days ago.
i

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #402 on: February 03, 2010, 01:37:07 AM »
Despite the fact that I've only worked out twice over the past ten days because I got seriously ill, and my drunken night out was during that time period, I still managed to lose 5 lbs. So my nutrition fixes are working. I'm cranking up the physical activity this week, barring this blizzard axing my weight lifting plans tomorrow.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #403 on: February 03, 2010, 01:51:31 AM »
Good job. Getting sick is the fastest way to lose weight for sure. 

I'd look into acquiring some equipment that will let you workout wherever. Dumbells are cheap. A jump rope is even cheaper. Don't let the weather take you out of your routine too much - you haven't been doing it long enough for it to be a habit yet.

vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:19 AM »
I already have that stuff, but I have one day dedicated for THE MACHINES.
PSP

archie4208

« Reply #405 on: February 03, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »
I destroyed 240 today.  I was dreading it when I was walking to the squat rack, but once I started it went really smoothly.  It almost seemed to easy. :lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #406 on: February 03, 2010, 08:42:50 PM »
In 9th grade, my squat max went from 150 to 320 in about six weeks.  Every week was exciting.  I got so into it I'd try to heavy squat twice a week.  I wanted to be on the Freshman Top 10, which I made (lowest was 290, highest was 360)  When I made it, it was one of the best feelings in my life at that moment.  I eventually made the Top 10 of the whole school at 435 being the highest max I got but there was a kid that was shaped like a ball that did 585.

These days, I need to make sure everything is perfect just to maintain the weights and maxes that I have :-\

Sorry, I like the stories about shooting up in weight for squats.  Gets me all nostalgic n' shit...
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #407 on: February 03, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »
I destroyed 240 today.  I was dreading it when I was walking to the squat rack, but once I started it went really smoothly.  It almost seemed to easy. :lol

:rock

of course, you could go back to that bodybuilding.com routine...anytime you wanted to :smug
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #408 on: February 03, 2010, 08:50:18 PM »
it's been almost a week since i did ANYTHING. Total enforced rest was required after last Friday. I was so sore I couldn't sleep right for 3 nights in a row - even my dentist was shocked at how worn-out I was, just from the state of my GUMS. Feeling awesome again now though. Almost looking forward to tomorrow's session!
vjj

« Reply #409 on: February 03, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
I ran six miles tonight without stopping once! I rock!
野球

duckman2000

« Reply #410 on: February 03, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
I sort of got a wild hair up my ass about switching things up and replicate real life strain, so I did some acrobatic shit with the weights that is bound to cause some damage.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2010, 09:46:24 PM »

Weren't there any buses running?
vjj

« Reply #412 on: February 03, 2010, 09:59:29 PM »

Weren't there any buses running?

:lol

I'm training for a Half Marathon dude, this is serious business.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #413 on: February 03, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
strongly suggest bussing for a half marathon instead
vjj

« Reply #414 on: February 03, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »
 :lol

I'm bringing my running shoes to Tokyo, I'm really excited to run through some neighborhoods and parks with all the cherry blossoms.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #415 on: February 03, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »
oh, your ass is MINE now
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #416 on: February 03, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »
Three reps per machine is killing me :(
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #417 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:32 PM »
that pain is just weakness leaving the body

we need a drill sergeant icon dammit
vjj

« Reply #418 on: February 04, 2010, 12:10:54 PM »
oh, your ass is MINE now

You'd beat me in a race. I'm really slow.
野球

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #419 on: February 05, 2010, 07:14:30 AM »
Other than Cormac, who seems to be doing this to maintain fitness, how many of us are doing this to lose weight or just get healthy?  And what are you doing to motivate yourselves?
WTF