Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 794444 times)

agrajag

Re: FitnessBore - 2017 edition
« Reply #7560 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »
I can dig that

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7561 on: August 20, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
What's yalls favorite protein shake?

I had to go with concentrate today for the first time in years because of the ridiculous price of protein shakes around here (double the price). I hope i can handle drinking concentrate since it's harder to digest.

agrajag

« Reply #7562 on: August 20, 2018, 08:22:37 PM »
The last protein powder I've bought was dioxyme new zeland whey and I barely even drink it. I bought it like a year ago, surprised it hasn't spoiled. It doesn't clump, which is what I like about it.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7563 on: August 20, 2018, 10:01:10 PM »

I had to go with concentrate today for the first time in years because of the ridiculous price of protein shakes around here (double the price). I hope i can handle drinking concentrate since it's harder to digest.

From a lab test On Gold Standard Whey is supposed to be one of the most accurate as far as whey protein content to whats actually labeled. Thats my go to.

I dont care for prepackaged shakes. Just buy the powders in drums by the pound.
:9

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7564 on: August 20, 2018, 10:21:01 PM »

From a lab test On Gold Standard Whey is supposed to be one of the most accurate as far as whey protein content to whats actually labeled. Thats my go to.

I dont care for prepackaged shakes. Just buy the powders in drums by the pound.
I was about to purchase that but Gold standard in the big boy jug is 100 fucking dollars where in the states it's 56 or so. So i went with a domestic brand from here.

I just had my first sip of this garbage and i can already see my stomach not reacting well to it. FUCK.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7565 on: August 21, 2018, 09:22:56 AM »
i'm stuck on 10 body weight pull ups. But since i'm still heavy i'm not sweating it, 10lb off my body weight should increase these significantly.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7566 on: August 21, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »
Programming is overrated, imo. Consistency, effort and determination is what will get you the gains in the long run. If you keep adding lbs to the bar or increase reps over time, you've gotten stronger.
Well, true to some extent but why take the long road when a proper training regiment will get you there faster? Not to mention plateaus which happen to everyone and the only way to get over them is with proper training cycles.

Again, if you don't really care that much then whatever, eventually you'll hit that wall and if you don't care about getting bigger or stronger or more endurance (whatever one you choose) then you'll maintain or lose what you have to start over.

Most people at the gym are like this. I see guys in there for years pushing the same weight, looking the same, never actually improving past a certain point. Simply having "determination" isn't going to get you to higher ground.

It's more basic stuff that holds people back, such as form, volume, intensity, calories, protein, and sleep.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7567 on: August 21, 2018, 10:31:07 AM »
Programming is overrated, imo. Consistency, effort and determination is what will get you the gains in the long run. If you keep adding lbs to the bar or increase reps over time, you've gotten stronger.
Well, true to some extent but why take the long road when a proper training regiment will get you there faster? Not to mention plateaus which happen to everyone and the only way to get over them is with proper training cycles.

Again, if you don't really care that much then whatever, eventually you'll hit that wall and if you don't care about getting bigger or stronger or more endurance (whatever one you choose) then you'll maintain or lose what you have to start over.

Most people at the gym are like this. I see guys in there for years pushing the same weight, looking the same, never actually improving past a certain point. Simply having "determination" isn't going to get you to higher ground.

It's more basic stuff that holds people back, such as form, volume, intensity, calories, protein, and sleep.
Most people, i agree. But if you've been training for 5+ years you should have all of that in check or you're just a gym bro going to the gym to do arms and talk to girls... or stare at girls and never talk to them.   :quark

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7568 on: August 22, 2018, 06:16:50 PM »
Think I found the strongest position for deadlifting for my own body. When I set up for a traditional lift I could never really get it so my hips were the fulcrum. So today I tried doing semi-sumo. Basically my arms are between my legs but my legs are still in an almost traditional stance, litrrally rubbing up against the outside of my arms. Did some pulls that way and my lower back wasn't taxed at all even at 3 rep max pulls.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7569 on: August 22, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »
Looks like this

What I also love about it is the fact that I can really move my hips back and a little down so my shoulders are right over the bar. Feels like I have way more leverage that way when fully set.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7570 on: August 22, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
Looks like this

What I also love about it is the fact that I can really move my hips back and a little down so my shoulders are right over the bar. Feels like I have way more leverage that way when fully set.
Don't these put a ton of pressure on your knees?

If you have trouble on the traditional deadlift with when to pull with your legs hips then back you should try doing it really slow with lighter weight. Focus on pulling with your legs and hips up to or above our knees and then stop and then pull with your hips/back.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7571 on: August 22, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
Looks like this

Don't these put a ton of pressure on your knees?

If you have trouble on the traditional deadlift with when to pull with your legs hips then back you should try doing it really slow with lighter weight. Focus on pulling with your legs and hips up to or above our knees and then stop and then pull with your hips/back.

Ive tried everything over the years. Ultimately I think the issue stems from my shoulder position in a traditional deadlift. It feels awkward trying to get rifht over the bar with my shoulders so the bar path is absolutely straight. I'm short so it could be a mobility issue or just how my body is made up mechanically.

With that said the further your legs are apart the more upright you are and the more it becomes about leg drive than relying on your upper back to take some of the grunt. Definitely prefer the emphasis on the leg drive.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7572 on: August 22, 2018, 08:30:48 PM »
have you tried watching any of the powerlifting channels on youtube?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7573 on: August 22, 2018, 08:41:42 PM »
Of course! I know all about the cues, getting tight, and hip height. I think with my stature I'm more suited towards a sumo leaning pull.

agrajag

« Reply #7574 on: August 24, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »
Dumbbell farmer carries with fat gripz will light your forearms up!

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7575 on: August 24, 2018, 09:15:35 PM »
Of course! I know all about the cues, getting tight, and hip height. I think with my stature I'm more suited towards a sumo leaning pull.
what about the hex bar deadlift?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7576 on: August 25, 2018, 10:46:20 PM »
August is almost over, heres where I am with the gotdamn hiking

:trigger

agrajag

« Reply #7577 on: August 27, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »
what the fuck

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7578 on: August 27, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
the overhead barbell shoulder press is such a vital movement. for a few years i switched to dumbells, and sometimes not even done the movement at all. what a huge mistake.

the barbell overhead shoulder press is what gets you that clavicle region that pops out, something i always thought incline bench would do but could never get it to work for me. this works.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7579 on: August 28, 2018, 06:18:19 AM »
The clavicle is a bone, brozen.
Now did i say the clavicle or the region around the clavicle, brozen.  :comeon

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7580 on: August 28, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
Half marathon training has begun!  Comfortably doing 5ks, running a 10k this weekend, and gonna continue doing that for a few weeks.  Legs have never felt stronger!  :D
püp

agrajag

« Reply #7581 on: August 28, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »
Did bodyweight dips x 20 after doing 3 sets weighted yesterday.

agrajag

« Reply #7582 on: August 28, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »
So what I'm discovering is I can do the double plate carry as long as it's part of my first set, and if I start with my circuit instead of the heavy lift for the day. I also find it a lot easier to get into a good position and be able to adjust for the duration of the walk when I lift it from the ground and hoist it up instead of the seemingly preferred method of putting the weights on a high box, laying your chest on it, and slide them off while hugging them. I'm pretty sure it counts for cardio too :rejoice

Tbh I'm thinking of switching primarily to body weight and weighted carry stuff and doing actual bar lifting as my secondaries.

Do you do these things every day?

Where does current science / bro science stand on rest time for muscle groups?

I do abs almost every day for instance, but alternate almost everything else.  Is doing farmer walks every day a good idea?

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/training-frequency/

agrajag

« Reply #7583 on: August 28, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/training-frequency/

Thanks!

I really don't do that much lifting as I don't need to to get the look I'm going for so been thinking of upping the frequency of the stuff I do.

I think the crux of most studies is that for naturals high frequency but lower volume in a single session is more ideal, but exactly how high of a frequency is optimal is not so clear. In other words you want your weekly volume to be as high as possible and ideally hitting the same muscle groups more than once a week.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7584 on: August 28, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »

Where does current science / bro science stand on rest time for muscle groups?

I do abs almost every day for instance, but alternate almost everything else.  Is doing farmer walks every day a good idea?
  The big muscles - chest, back, legs usually require 2+ days rest. Abs you can work out almost everyday if you want, but there's no point if you already have a strong core. Abs aren't going to show unless you have low bodyfat %. Biceps/calf can be hit every other day and the same with shoulders (besides the front delts, those get hit a lot so avoid front raises and shit like that).

But this all depends if you're actually going hard.

agrajag

« Reply #7585 on: August 29, 2018, 04:09:52 PM »
Trap bar deads with fat gripz today

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7586 on: September 02, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »
Down 13lbs in 33 days. A couple of it is most definitely water weight which would put me at around 8lbs weight loss at the minimum in a month, hopefully mostly fat. I'm making a hard run at it, lads.

My current diet is 1600cals in, 120g Protein minimum, Carbs and fat can fall wherever. I'm burning 400 calories through movement and restricting another 400 through diet, daily.

My current regimen

130mins of walking with bursts of jogging daily

10s on /60s rest flat surface HIIT at 12 intervals every two days

Upper/Lower body weightlifting split every two days, usually directly after my HIIT day. Not worrying about gains, I'm an intermediate so I'm just looking to maintain my strength and muscle mass. So volume is kept to the bare minimum, intensity up.

My energy levels are fantastic at this caloric level and this volume of work. Feels like I have this dialed in very well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:27:46 PM by BlueTsunami »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7587 on: September 02, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »
I'm pretty short at 5'4", but yeah 1600 is on the manageable low end, even for me. Two years ago I did a 1200cal crash diet and I felt like shit so this is much easier by comparison. Skewing higher fat than carbs has helped with satiation. I also try not to eat until after 11am so I'm content from then till I go to sleep. I think its working so well since I'm walking on eggshells with my excersise volume by bringing it to the edge at this caloric level but still leaving some in the tank so I'm not killing myself.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7588 on: September 04, 2018, 11:01:47 PM »
I'm stuck at 209 now for 2 weeks. I've stalled.

I need to be at least at 190lb, but i want to ideally be around 185lb totally ripped.  I may have to start buying new clothes at that point but still that's where i think i should be for my body type. The last time i was at around 200lb was two years ago. I haven't been below 200lb in like 7 years.

Oblivion

« Reply #7589 on: September 10, 2018, 12:01:52 AM »
Well great news: i somehow mysteriously fucked up my shoulder and now i can't do any heavy upperbody workout  :-\

Since I can't bulk anymore, I figure i should just cut and at least get rid ofsome of this flab. How do i go about it, as I've never cut before?

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7590 on: September 10, 2018, 12:06:45 AM »

Since I can't bulk anymore, I figure i should just cut and at least get rid ofsome of this flab. How do i go about it, as I've never cut before?
Diet.

Oblivion

« Reply #7591 on: September 10, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »
I know that my diet has to require fewer calories, but that will only deal with the fat. How will I retain muscle?

Well great news: i somehow mysteriously fucked up my shoulder and now i can't do any heavy upperbody workout  :-\

lol u never cut before?

Nope. At least, not intentionally. Since I started going to the gym, I've always focused on bulking up.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7592 on: September 10, 2018, 09:06:17 PM »
I know that my diet has to require fewer calories, but that will only deal with the fat. How will I retain muscle?

Depends on how much muscle you have and how fat you are.

You'll have to lower carbs and increase protein.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7593 on: September 11, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
Doubled my volume of pull up circuit today. So in total it was 50 pull ups (10 of which were weighted with 30lbs), 50 dips (10 of which were weighted with 30 pounds), 50 varying cable pulls, 10 weighted walks of at least 100 yards. Six of the walks I had a backpack with 50 pounds on, and one of those I also had a 30lb kettlebell swinging from my neck and finished that 45lb plates farmer walk. That one I did have to stop at the halfway point and regroup a bit.

I followed all that up completely dead by doing leg press :lol
That seems excessive. What's your goal here? Definitely not to grow muscle.

studyguy

« Reply #7594 on: September 11, 2018, 04:52:46 PM »
Do you just do everything each day? No focus per gym day?
pause

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7595 on: September 11, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »
Been thinking about beefing up my neck.

Being 40 and having had a little weight fluctuation over the years I have some loose skin I want to tighten up.

Figure getting neck beefcakey would do the trick.  Any tips?
I do neck curls. They've done a lot to help my neck appearance along with actually waking up without any neck cramps like i used to get. Sometimes i'd wake up with the stiffest fucking neck but now rarely ever.

It does take something like a whole year to grow even a half inch of neck width. Unfortunately, if you have that loose skin under your chin at a slim weight then it's genetic and there is nothing you can do about it. It's something that also runs in my family. Right now i don't have it but if i end up going the route of my mom/uncle i will most likely get it and have to remove it surgically, which i will fucking do. No way am i having that rooster neck going on.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7596 on: September 13, 2018, 05:04:08 PM »
Fuuuuck

My wrist just tweaked doing curls.

Time for a break I guess.
how heavy were you going?

BisMarckie

« Reply #7597 on: September 13, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »
I recently broke my clavicle on my non-fucked up shoulder and the doc recommended a MRI to see if it's healed properly. My insurance pays for it so I said yes.
He takes a look at my fucked up shoulder too and says that I should have another surgery because there is a chance it could become pain free this time.

I'm still thinking about it, because rehab after shoulder surgery is not fun at all....

But still: There is hope, brehs :rejoice

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7598 on: September 13, 2018, 06:02:47 PM »
Been doing 5 sets of 12 at 90 pounds (45 a side.).

Wrist gave out on the fifth set.

edit:. Guess 45 makes more sense wasn't using the straight bar attachment so basically was like a dumbell curl but I was doing both arms at once.  I mix it up between regular dumbell, hammer curls and barbell curls.
I'm confused, what?

Were you using a straight bar with fixed weights on each end or a barbell with weights attached? If it was a straight bar then the whole bar including the weights is only 45lb total. If you have wrist problems at that weight you should only be doing EZ bar curls from here on out.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7599 on: September 13, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
It's a cable based machine.

I was curling 45 on each side for a total of 90 essentially mimicing dumbell curls.

I should have said 45 because that's the weight my right wrist was dealing wkth.
I"ve never been a fan of cable curls and part of that reason is the added pressure on the wrists since it's less stable. I've never had strong wrists.

Oblivion

« Reply #7600 on: September 14, 2018, 07:42:32 AM »
Don't fuck with your wrists, riotous. I've had wrist problems for a little over more than a year (just right after my damned elbow injury started healing  :maf )

Finally went to the doctor the other day and she prescribed a stretching/strengthening regimen. Unfortunately, the instructions are super vague and they don't tell you how many reps/sets to do, how often, in what order and whether you should do all of them. I even got a wrist brace, but it's been choking my hand and I was waking up numb so I stopped. I'm going to try to avoid all types of strenuous wrist activity for at least a week and then start the stretches then. See if that helps, but this shit is really getting old.  :-\

agrajag

« Reply #7601 on: September 14, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »
I sprained my wrist about 4 months ago when I took a tumble playing ball and it's still kind of unstable. Wrist injuries suck.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7602 on: September 14, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »
My right wrist had been sketchy for a couple of years when I realize I was holding the bar too far towards my fingers on bench and overhead press causing pain. I am careful as fuck now with hand placement.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7603 on: September 14, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »
I've completely stalled on the weight loss. I hate feeling weaker with low energy when i'm cutting.

I need some fucking ephedrine... one of you stupid Canadians send it to me please  :fbm

agrajag

« Reply #7604 on: September 14, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
Switched to front squats for 2 weeks or so. I have chronic tendonitis in my left elbow and back squats are destroying it. Wish I had access to a SSB

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7605 on: September 14, 2018, 12:44:26 PM »
I'm in an unintentional weight loss phase.  Probably should back off cardio but I'm addicted to it.
Cardio sucks.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7606 on: September 14, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »
I'm in an unintentional weight loss phase.  Probably should back off cardio but I'm addicted to it.
Cardio sucks.

Maybe that's why you've stalled on the weight loss you lazy fat fuck
breh i've never been fat like you breh

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7607 on: September 14, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »
Keep telling yourself that you lazy, weak wristed, small calved, turkey necked fuck

:heh

dude you hating so hard. how loose skinned are you really? is everything on you all flappy ? You're one of those guys that lost all that weight but your skin is hanging off your fucking bone  :kobeyuck

agrajag

« Reply #7608 on: September 14, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »
Assi is a BBW

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7609 on: September 15, 2018, 01:01:50 AM »
I actually don't have any loose skin as I was working out heavy the whole time I was also eating and drinking heavy. The way you've tried to hit on this multiple times makes me believe you were a fatty once upon a time and you either have some saggy skin or it's one of your biggest fears.
  Was never fat. Been through that freshman 15 with the whole moon face phase from all the booze but that's as far as that went. Had 6 pack abs for most of my early to mid 20s. Ever since been on this 'let me get as fuckng swole as possible' but now i'm tired of it. Strong and intimidating is cool but i'm tired of being sluggish.

I'd like to be slim like a soccer player but I  find cardio boring as fuck and i love lifting heavy. We'll see.
Whatever is fucked up in my wrist swelled up today like Assimilates ass during Olive Garden shrimp-fest.
  :donot

Beezy

« Reply #7610 on: September 15, 2018, 07:41:24 AM »
I'd like to be slim like a soccer player but I  find cardio boring as fuck and i love lifting heavy. We'll see.
Try a HIIT class/routine. It's difficult if you're the type like me who hates cardio, its not boring, and you will sweat a whole lot.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7611 on: September 15, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »
Down 17lbs, can really start to see my back muscles, lats, traps, rear delts. I'd Fuck me.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7612 on: September 15, 2018, 09:46:44 PM »
late night french toast it's soo goood

:noah

never going to drop these last 15lb  :-\

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7613 on: September 15, 2018, 11:15:59 PM »
Assi just walk for an hour and a half everyday, outside. I lost 15lbs in a month and a half doing this. You'll be able to eat back those calories via all the french toast your assi desires. Well, maybe two pieces.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7614 on: September 22, 2018, 09:15:42 AM »

:dice

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7615 on: September 22, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »

nice man.

i think i broke through the barrier. I'm down to 207. At 176 i'd be a fucking ripped monster but i think that's too hard for me to get to. My goal is really around 185

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7616 on: September 22, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »

nice man.

i think i broke through the barrier. I'm down to 207. At 176 i'd be a fucking ripped monster but i think that's too hard for me to get to. My goal is really around 185

I think once you get down to a lower bodyfat, low and slow is the way to go. I'm already pretty much eating at a caloric threshold thats faf below my goal weight. I'll probably have to up my calories once I get down to 15% and below bodyfat to fend off muscle canibilization. Trying to grt to 10% bf maybe even lower then use that base to build on.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7617 on: September 26, 2018, 04:55:10 PM »
Man, keeping with a weightlifting program is indispensable when you're cutting. Mainly the logging aspect and being able to keep an eye on your stength levels week to week. I felt a little defeated today with the reps I got down but when punched into my Wendler 531 app I realized my 1RM held steady.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:03:06 PM by BlueTsunami »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7618 on: September 26, 2018, 06:19:10 PM »
Down to 205. 

5lb and I'll be at the weight I was 2 years ago.

I haven't been under 200lb in a so long. I already feel much lighter, more energy, less sluggish. My shirts are starting to get a little loose though and I hate that but that just means I'll have to go down a size. it is exciting though getting closer and closer to my goal. hopefully I won't hit another wall though and continue to lose.

in another month or so I'll be switching to a predominately leg based workout. Going to try and get my upper-body/lower-body ratio closer to 1:1.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:27:09 PM by Assimilate »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7619 on: September 26, 2018, 06:44:33 PM »
Nice work Assi, I'll take a lottle motivational credit with my fat shaming comments.  Tough love.

Sitting here staring at my weight machine feeling burnt out myself..
ha! I'm under 20% body fat. I'm just too bulky right now. My upper is too big compared to my lower body, and for my height I end up looking like one of those obsessed powerlifting gym bros. I want to lean out, look more athletic, more like a guy that runs a lot (though I hate running lol)