Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 381940 times)

riotous

• Whatís with *insert name*ís beef with riotous?
Re: FitnessBore - 2018 edition
« Reply #8340 on: December 31, 2018, 05:23:37 PM »
OK pre-workout taken.. my shoulder is still making sounds but the pain is gone.. LETS DO THIS

Stro

• I'm just a dragon-canine boye
« Reply #8341 on: December 31, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
Both of my shoulders crunch and pop so disgustingly but they have for years. One popped out of socket years ago while I was changing shirts and I just kind of dealt with it until it went back in on its own, the other I blew out completely doing excessive weights on bench/overhead press that took over a full year to heal up and get back to where I was.

Stro

« Reply #8342 on: January 02, 2019, 06:36:27 AM »
Only took me about a week to get back to where I was after a 2 1/2 week basically binge fest of eating day(s) worth of calories in junk food every day. And that's with even being more lenient on diet than I was before the holidays. Good to know I can go off the rails and snap back so quickly :aah

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #8343 on: January 02, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
Only took me about a week to get back to where I was after a 2 1/2 week basically binge fest of eating day(s) worth of calories in junk food every day. And that's with even being more lenient on diet than I was before the holidays. Good to know I can go off the rails and snap back so quickly :aah

Mirror judgment alone shows me my binging didnt fuck shit up as badly as it feels. Back to Greek yogurt and a pound of protein daily. But the psycholigical effect fucking sucks.
:9

Stro

« Reply #8344 on: January 02, 2019, 01:58:14 PM »
I think I actually look a bit better, because I got to replenish my muscles so I look a little bigger

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8345 on: January 02, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »
back to deadlifting after taking time off from them. Here's to destroying these suckers  :maf

Stro

« Reply #8346 on: January 02, 2019, 05:07:06 PM »
YOUR CALORIES DID NOTHING, FRITO LAY

spoiler (click to show/hide)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #8347 on: January 02, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »
YOUR CALORIES DID NOTHING, FRITO LAY

spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm wholly convinced theres a boddyfat tipping point where carbs can go fuck themselves. You look as though it didnt make a dent lol

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8348 on: January 02, 2019, 08:59:18 PM »
pulled a very easy 315 today. Going to keep increasing it over the next few days.

Stro

« Reply #8349 on: January 02, 2019, 09:00:07 PM »
I ate literally what had to be 3X the weekly calories for a good 2 weeks with big days on and off for a month and nearly all of it was straight up trash like all kinds of pretzels, nearly whole bags of corn chips, candy bars, cookies, etc. I had carb bloat and water weight from that but otherwise it really could have done shit to me if I got back to where I was and maybe even leaner and increased some of my workload in a week.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8350 on: January 02, 2019, 09:02:03 PM »
I think a short period of dirty eating/high carbs can jolt your metabolism. There may or may not be some research backing this, but I cant be arsed to look it up

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #8351 on: January 02, 2019, 09:03:29 PM »
I think a short period of dirty eating/high carbs can jolt your metabolism. There may or may not be some research backing this, but I cant be arsed to look it up

I know on Keto or low carb its suggested you take a day to carb up. On long term dieting it's used to grt your hormones back into better shape, and help metabolically. Makes sense definitely. Supposed to be something important to do as far as sparing muscle the lower you get in bodyfat.

riotous

« Reply #8352 on: January 02, 2019, 09:04:15 PM »
My shoulder went to hell after my workout the other day.  Was standing in line at a grocery store and had sudden shooting pain all the way down my arm to the point I nearly had to go sit down.

Just one of those things that doesnít hurt until the swelling hits a certain point.  Took the last couple days off not sure how long I should wait.

Stro

« Reply #8353 on: January 02, 2019, 09:04:20 PM »
There is but I don't think it's for extended periods. More likE regular cheat meals/days, not weeks and going complete off diet.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8354 on: January 02, 2019, 09:05:03 PM »
I've been eating like trash, especially hitting the sweets, and still have a ton of holiday leftovers. Once I burn through those, I'm going on a no sugar diet for two weeks.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8355 on: January 03, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »
PR'd the front squat again, 195x1. My bench and front squat are neck in neck.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8356 on: January 05, 2019, 11:34:53 AM »
make that 200lbs front squat now.

Stro

« Reply #8357 on: January 05, 2019, 03:22:09 PM »
There's a nature preserve literally at the end of my street that I used to hike on pretty regularly but haven't been in a 1 1/2, maybe even 2 years. Decided to go today because it's unseasonably nice out and wanted some fresh air. Did the full expert path.

Pretty decent little trek. In the past my legs, particularly feet and knees, would be dead by the end and hurt for days, I'd be covered in sweat even in the winter. This time I literally didn't break a sweat the entire time even with a hoodie and long sleeved shirt under it, and it being in the mid 50s by the time I made it back to my house. Followed it up by removing and installing a new over the range microwave by myself. Legs feel like I've been walking on air for 2 1/2 hours  :aah

riotous

« Reply #8358 on: January 07, 2019, 10:16:46 PM »
Back on the grind and it feels good.   Coming off a 2 week food / drink / drug binge and the only pleasure my brain is going to feel for a few days is those sweet workout endorphins.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8359 on: January 08, 2019, 04:10:30 PM »
seems I pulled my right hip flexor. Not sure how, squatting too much, overuse injury? Oh well, I got 205 front squat yesterday. Going to ice it and massage it with a roller, should be back in action in a couple of days. I am nursing bicep tendonitis, so I need to take it easy on my upper body as well, so I guess I'll just take a day or two off from the gym altogether.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #8360 on: January 08, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »
Did farmers walks today, just 225s but with the shitty gym clips. On the fourth round I spun too fast and the weight came off to my right, so, you guessed it, they came off on the left too comoetely unbalancing me. Like those gym fail vids. I blew it with everyone in the gym at that moment, even the weird 6'4 malnourished old dude that keeps checking me out.

Stro

« Reply #8361 on: January 08, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »
So did you fuck him after or what dawg

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #8362 on: January 08, 2019, 08:31:48 PM »
Hes my final resort :drool

Let me paint a better picture

Short shorts, yellowed white t-shirt, seems to only do cardio and lightweight curls

riotous

« Reply #8363 on: January 11, 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
My buddy who is a personal trainer / longtime fitness gawd said he estimates my BF% at around 8%.  Nice to hear;  obviously could be wrong, but he says at the gym he works at one of those companies that does those crazy body comp tests brings a machine in and does tests on people for only $40.  Told him to give me the heads up next time because usually you have to sign up and pay a monthly fee at those places.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8364 on: January 11, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »
that doesn't sound too healthy mang

riotous

« Reply #8365 on: January 11, 2019, 04:32:01 PM »

How so?

Thought like 3% was too low territory.

Stro

« Reply #8366 on: January 11, 2019, 04:35:54 PM »
8% is around the lowest most people can sustain I think. Once you get under that it gets dicey and is reserved pretty much for fitness models and body builders on competition days.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8367 on: January 11, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »

How so?

Thought like 3% was too low territory.

there's "too low" and there is 3%. If you tried to stay at 3% for a prolonged period of time your body would shut down and you would die.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #8368 on: January 11, 2019, 10:20:18 PM »
Iím finally consistently sub-190lbs over the last three months since I moved.  (Sorry mups, my lady prefers me lean, so Bulking Boogie is probably done.)  and I think itís the subtle diet changes with my different routine as a family man.

Problem is, I need to buy a tighter belt.  All of my jeans are hanging dangerously low on my waist these days.  :-[
MMA

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #8369 on: January 12, 2019, 08:01:54 AM »
At 160 now, creeping down to 157. But I've been including stuff like raisin bran and high fiber bread in my daily intake. My lowest weight was me at my most carb depleted too. I honestly feel better including carbs in the form of very high fiber instead of straight low carb/keto.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #8370 on: January 12, 2019, 02:58:59 PM »
Also, I am in the beginning stages of building a garage gym.

Hope to put in a cheap power rack within a couple weeks.
MMA

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #8371 on: January 12, 2019, 03:43:24 PM »
Wish i had a home gym. :-\ It's not too bad at the one i go to but i hate waiting in line for equipment.

Stro

« Reply #8372 on: January 16, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »
Did my biggest walk/carry today: 100lb back pack, 3 45s hanging from a dip belt, 1 45 plate chest carry for a total of 325lbs, with the walk being somewhere between 90 and 100 yards.

And that was the first set. I had 9 more to go after that. :stahp I tapered down to 2 45s, 1 45, and 1 25, then alternated 45 and 25 like I always do. Did a set of 5 of clean and press after, then did half a mile on the treadmill while doing a chest carry without the dip belt and backpack.

Listened to this

and Buckethead's Albino Slug album while doing it. It was a good work out.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:45:19 PM by Stro »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #8373 on: January 16, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »
OK guys, I'm not a guy who wants to get swole or anything. Not gonna make charts and matrices to track anything. But I do have a question.
I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. And I'm seeing some good results.
But I do have a question.
What I typically do is settle on the machines that are going to work what I want to work on that day. I do graduated reps (like I'll start at 80kg on one machine and do like 40 reps, then move to 90kg and do 35, 100kg 30 and so forth). Typically I'll switch machines so like I'll do my first rep on the chest press, then move to the leg press machine and do my first rep there then move back and do the second rep on the chest press and so on.
I find it gives my body time to recover and I do the reps easier this way.

Last few times I've tried just staying at a machine until I'm done with all the reps. This takes longer and I definitely feel it more.

So which is a better approach? I feel like I need less recovery time and can get through my workout faster by switching the area of focus after each rep. But I do feel that not switching around makes it "feel" more effective overall.

What say you?
que

Stro

« Reply #8374 on: January 16, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »
Just do what feels best for you. If you're doing the same amount of work I don't think it really matters too much what configuration you do it in.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #8375 on: January 16, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
OK guys, I'm not a guy who wants to get swole or anything. Not gonna make charts and matrices to track anything. But I do have a question.
I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. And I'm seeing some good results.
But I do have a question.
What I typically do is settle on the machines that are going to work what I want to work on that day. I do graduated reps (like I'll start at 80kg on one machine and do like 40 reps, then move to 90kg and do 35, 100kg 30 and so forth). Typically I'll switch machines so like I'll do my first rep on the chest press, then move to the leg press machine and do my first rep there then move back and do the second rep on the chest press and so on.
I find it gives my body time to recover and I do the reps easier this way.

Last few times I've tried just staying at a machine until I'm done with all the reps. This takes longer and I definitely feel it more.

So which is a better approach? I feel like I need less recovery time and can get through my workout faster by switching the area of focus after each rep. But I do feel that not switching around makes it "feel" more effective overall.

What say you?

That's a max effort vs volume question. I feel, with machines, basically what Stro said. The benefit of what you're doing is keeping your heart rate up by minimizing rest times which will be good for burning calories.

Stro

« Reply #8376 on: January 16, 2019, 01:20:25 PM »
Just don't be the asshole taking up multiple machines at once so you can do your routine

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #8377 on: January 16, 2019, 01:38:18 PM »
Incorporating sled work on my cardio days. Basically 6 intervals for 5 sets. People were looking at me sideways. I then walked by a mirror and realized my face was fucking cherry red. It fucking takes your soul.

Stro

« Reply #8378 on: January 24, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »
Some vampire I know is trying to convince me to make a fitness blog/youtube considering I lost almost 100 pounds in a year with diet and non-conventional exercising all while having crippling suicidal depression and anxiety and also being a full time caregiver (which fucking sucks)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:52:13 PM by Stro »

riotous

« Reply #8379 on: January 24, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
LOL my mother in law does personal training.. I lost nearly 100 in 6 months and she saw me and was practically demanding I send her my old progress pics so she could pretend I was a client lol

(I don't have any though, refused to take pictures until I was fit lol)

Stro

« Reply #8380 on: January 24, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
Yeah I have multiple immediate issues with the suggestion:

1. The idea of trying to make it as a social media star :jeanluc

2. Needing to do videos and all that shit :jeanluc

3. I literally might not have any pictures of me in the past 10 years beyond a couple of family pics and 2 weddings. I don't have before pics, but I also don't have any before the before pics when I wasn't fat, I just have always avoided pictures whenever I could.

4. As a "fitness guru" type, my advice is simply to find what works for you and stick with it even when it sucks and you don't want to do it/pick up heavy stuff and carry it around

5. As a "nutritional guru" type, my advice is simply to track what you eat and stick to a calorie limit, macros do matter but not as much as calories for weight loss and mine are fucked most days.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8381 on: January 28, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »
new front squat PR 210x1

225 getting closer and closer

Stro

« Reply #8382 on: January 28, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »
Upped my backpack to 110 pounds, got asked if I was a trainer, and hit one year of being alcohol free on the same day :aah

dkdk

« Reply #8383 on: January 28, 2019, 06:43:23 PM »
being a youtube/IG fitness star seems like a lot more work and soul-whoring than it's worth. i follow some of those folks and they all seem kind of...empty. i can't describe it.
and i say that as someone who's in shape enough and actually has someone willing to do all the video/promo work to pull it off (my buddy has launched a few successful brands and music acts).

i'd rather just continue to work on myself, play sports and help my friends get in better shape rather than make it my life.

Stro

« Reply #8384 on: January 28, 2019, 06:44:49 PM »
Juji is the only dude I'd support

And by support I mean skim through parts of his videos when they get posted to me

Beezy

« Reply #8385 on: January 28, 2019, 10:04:03 PM »
Juji (funny) and AthleanX dude (very detailed) are the only ones who don't bore me to death.

Stro

« Reply #8386 on: January 29, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »
Here's my daily carrying weights in mountain form

:lol

I see a lot of room for improvements but compared to where I was a year ago I'm pretty pleased with the results actually putting in the work has done. My self image is perhaps a bit skewed due to all my heroes growing up being on all the steroids, brother. To drop all the weight and get in shape at 30 was not easy.

riotous

« Reply #8387 on: January 30, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »
Got one of those ab roller things;  just did 50 of them.. my buddy says I'm going to regret that later tonight/tomorrow lol.. we'll see.   Was having trouble finding workouts that actually made my abs sore so this should do the trick.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8388 on: January 30, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »
exercise variation is a great thing. Whenever I take a break for a particular lift and take a few weeks to do a different variation, when I come back to it I am always stronger.

Stro

« Reply #8389 on: February 01, 2019, 12:41:43 PM »
Started off my workout great today:

Took me forever to get my backpack loaded for some reason, then as soon as I got it on, I crumpled to the floor and laid there like a turtle. :lol Idk if I loaded it up poorly and it was off balance or if my legs were just dead for the week, but needless to say I took it easy for the rest of the workout. I wasn't hurt or feeling particularly tired or weak before I went in, so it was kinda spooky, but luckily I didn't hurt anything in the fall so whatever. Just rest up for the weekend and get back at it Monday.

riotous

« Reply #8390 on: February 01, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
My upper body is pretty damn sore in places;  I think it's that ab roller, I hammer my abs pretty hard so wasn't surprised they weren't really sore but that ab roller thing also works parts of your shoulders and arms that apparently I wasn't hitting.

I don't think I'll ever have a six-pack without lipo though;   but maybe I'm being impatient lol.   But I'm skinny as fuck and still have all those deflated fat cells covering my abs.

Stro

« Reply #8391 on: February 05, 2019, 02:19:20 PM »
Woke up about 2:30AM, everything that can hurt was hurting. Waited for my regular time and went into the gym to do an easy day hoping to just get the juices flowing and keep me going for the day. I have a duffelbag with about 70 pounds of junk in it (dirt, weights, bells, chains, etc) that I was going to carry around, but it ripped when I sat it down too hard, so I ended up just doing my normal routine without the dip belt/backpack weights....and then doubled the volume.

Which meant great shoulder/traps pump after 100 pull ups/200 push ups/20 various carries at least 10 being water jug style of 45s

Feeling real jacked, spending the rest of the day eating 1. For henergy to stay awake today and 2. For henergy to attempt my heaviest walk tomorrow morning.  :mouf

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8392 on: February 05, 2019, 02:38:00 PM »
what did you do to get that capped delt look? Don't tell me that's frok the backpack carry stuff

Stro

« Reply #8393 on: February 05, 2019, 02:41:01 PM »
Must be because that's all I've really been doing for 6 months. Probably pulls ups as much as the backpack shit.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8394 on: February 05, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »
interesting. Intuitively, none of those movements seem to hit lateral delts, but I can't knock the results

Stro

« Reply #8395 on: February 05, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »
Push ups, pull ups, various carries, cable pulls...something in there has to hit them. I do regular lifting pretty infrequently these days, like I'll do deads and bench maybe every 2 weeks, hit shoulder press even less than that these days.

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8396 on: February 05, 2019, 02:49:13 PM »
I haven't trained shoulders (besides indirectly hitting them with flat or incline bench) for weeks now because shoulder stuff gives me a lot of discomfort, despite warming up my rotator cuffs and doing a ton of dislocations and band pull aparts and face pulls. I think I am gonna rotate back in some side lateral raises this week though

Stro

« Reply #8397 on: February 05, 2019, 03:14:44 PM »
I'm sure this is stupid and will catch up with me as I age, but my response to injuries is to hit the weak spot every day until it's too strong to hurt again.

I've done this with a blown shoulder (I THINK it was a torn labrum but never got it checked out, I did have a month of zero range of motion and had to start back at the lowest possible weights for everything, was a full year before it was fully healed up, that I was able to heal it up on my own with self rehab and no surgery leads me to believe it wasn't a torn rotator cuff), something popping/snapping in my lower back, one day falling when putting my back pack on to the next time upping all the weights on everything I do for my entire set, etc.

Before I was doing this carries I had bad IT band/hip stuff going on, now the muscles around there are over developed and no longer hurt  :jawalrus
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:19:41 PM by Stro »

agrajag

• hello children
« Reply #8398 on: February 05, 2019, 03:21:34 PM »
 :crazy

pretty sure that ain't normal Stro

riotous

« Reply #8399 on: February 05, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »
Bromeopathic medicine works!