Author Topic: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!  (Read 96137 times)

Bebpo

Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!
« Reply #1200 on: November 19, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
The mobile game DD has a better cast list with IBO and Valvrave :(

kingv

Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!
« Reply #1201 on: November 19, 2018, 12:44:28 PM »
Yeah, Iíd pick up anything that is handheld tactical (and good)

I feel like the two go together well and itís a genre that does t get a ton of entries.

Bebpo

« Reply #1202 on: November 19, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
SRW is like FE except not like FE. It's a tactics game but there's no real terrain or map and you can just walk straight into each other. It's almost more like chess in that way. You start with most of your moves locked out and the gameplay is more about building up your moves to unleash them on the enemies while tanking or dodging enemy attacks. There's also MP and lots of MP spells.

They're fun games, but they're also 75% visual novels that you play for the stories and fight animations. The gameplay is ok and some are better than others. They're also more fun portable, so Switch is nice. It's just too bad this lineup is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I mean I fucking love Cowboy Bebop, but that series does not belong in a SRW. Harlock is fine like Yamato and Nadia as just a big badass command ship, but Bebop tiny little planes lol. Only plus could be getting 1 good BGM out of it.

T looks like such a cash-in. Not one series with new animation in that trailer looks like it has the animation fluidity of Crossbone (V) or G-Reco (X) :(

And this just pushes back OG3 and the next real licensed SRW with IBO and all new-sprites another year back. /sigh

kingv

« Reply #1203 on: November 19, 2018, 10:49:05 PM »
That sounds sort of disappointing... but Iíll try one out if localized.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1204 on: November 20, 2018, 07:56:28 PM »

T is getting localized for Asia.  Will probably import. 
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1205 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »
They're comfort gaming games.

SRW is at its best when epic awesome shit is happening and vocal songs start playing and it's like HOT BLOODED PASSIOOOOON as you re-enact the super robo punches as they're thrown in game.
It's at its worst when it's another wave of 20 of the same grunts you've fought on a dozen maps before and then you fight the boss bad guy and get his health down and he runs away for the 7th time in the game.

The games are literally about fighting the same bosses over and over and over again until the end game last 10 maps where you actually start killing the bad guys or they join you instead. Aka, it's anime

Back in the day SRW were challenging skill-based tactical rpgs that required tight pre-planning before missions, use/abuse of strong units, good planning in missions, and a good chunk of luck. They were and in still cases still are the epitome of SAVE/RELOAD scumming on hit % chances. But now the games are so jokingly easy you can just use whatever units/characters you want and steamroll everything lol Pick you favorite mecha, upgrade them to be invincible and fuck everything up, the end.

« Reply #1206 on: November 30, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »
I played Gundam Extreme Versus 2 the other week at a Club Sega in Akihabara. I let my daughter choose the mobile suit I used in the first game. She picked Full Armor Unicorn and I got absolutely wrecked as I couldn't figure out how to use it. Then I chose Crossbone Gundam X-1 since I'm comfortable with it in previous games and still got wrecked. Maybe I should have used the PS4 controller option instead of the stick. In any event, the game is slick as hell and there are a ton of available MS units to choose from.

SRW OG Moon Dwellers, SRW X and SRW V have all been localized in English on the PS4 for Southeast Asia previously. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis, too.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1207 on: November 30, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »
SRW is at its best when epic awesome shit is happening and vocal songs start playing and it's like HOT BLOODED PASSIOOOOON as you re-enact the super robo punches as they're thrown in game.

Replace "SRW" with "Dragonball Fighterz" (using the anime soundtrack packs) and it's the same thing!
:heh
ど助平

« Reply #1208 on: November 30, 2018, 01:01:23 PM »
Oh yeah, Square Enix released a new arcade mecha combat game called StarWing Paradox while I was over there. Has character designs by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. Never played it but watched some people trying it out.
野球

toku

« Reply #1210 on: December 02, 2018, 01:51:01 PM »
double post sorry i was just so excited for the hot machine violence bless up

TEEEPO

« Reply #1211 on: December 02, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »
dat alex iglesias art  :mouf

TEEEPO

« Reply #1212 on: December 02, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
also bless up to the king crab being the lead title mech

crab mechs are the best mechs

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #1213 on: December 16, 2018, 06:09:45 PM »

this came out anybody try it

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1214 on: December 24, 2018, 06:56:59 PM »
Gideon Zhi released a translation for Super Robot Wars Gaiden - Elemental Lords

http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=srwg

Gideon Zhi released a translation for Super Robot Wars EX

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/4100/
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

« Reply #1216 on: December 28, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
I picked up the Full Metal Panic SRPG for the PS4 with some Amazon cash, played a little bit it comes off as a cheap anime version of Front Mission made by the Super Robot Wars dev team.
野球

New Gundam game announcement on the 21st. Trailer debuts in the Gundam Battle Operation 2 lobby, so guessing it's gonna at least be on the PS4 and related to UC.
野球

Bebpo

Wonder if theyíll do a Gundam vs 2 at some point.

kingv

Mah Gundam Bael I built and painted... working on the weathering now.

Bebpo

« Reply #1220 on: February 14, 2019, 02:34:32 AM »

For those of you that got the Asia release of SRW X/V, during the character dialogues outside battle does it show up half and half with the Japanese dialogue and then English below it? Or is it English only?

« Reply #1221 on: February 18, 2019, 12:23:38 PM »

For those of you that got the Asia release of SRW X/V, during the character dialogues outside battle does it show up half and half with the Japanese dialogue and then English below it? Or is it English only?

English only. Those are just quick subtitled videos of the Japanese game for promotional purposes.
野球

I started playing the Full Metal Panic! PS4 game the other day. Plays a lot like SRW but instead of a grid system you have a circular range of motion that you can move each AS during your turn and terrain plays a factor. You can target individual parts of the enemy units (head, arms, legs, body), but ultimately if you destroy the body you destroy the whole thing.

I've only done the tutorial prologue (4 mission summary of the original series) and the first mission which appears to be based on the recent series. Not bad.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:10:35 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

kingv

Iíve never seen full metal panic but have some of the more kits.

They have a cool design.

Edit: Screenshots of the snow make the series look full weeb.

Iíve never seen full metal panic but have some of the more kits.

They have a cool design.

Edit: Screenshots of the snow make the series look full weeb.

The Fumoffu! series is all high school shenanigans which you can avoid. The first series, Second Raid and Invisible Victory are pretty standard mecha anime shows.
野球

kingv

Ah, ok. Thanks.

I saw they are on Prime so might check them out.

Bebpo

Got my import copy of SRW T on Switch.
As much as I talk shit on the lesser effort entries with weak new title additions, SRW team is good at timing, after a year since the last one I'm always in the mood to play a new SRW. It's like yearly comfort gaming. Plus being on Switch is nice since I prefer SRW portable. I remember on Z3-1 & Z3-2 double dipping and buying both the PS4 version and Vita version with cross-save to play on tv and in bed. This gets me the same thing for half the price so I'm happy.

Hopefully G Gundam makes this one good. Haven't played a SRW with G Gundam before since I started at Alpha 3 and only went back to play Alpha 2 but never played through MX (PS2 version is dated, PSP port is sucky). I have zero expectations of Bebop even though I love the show because it's just a couple dinky fighter ships. Harlock should be neat. I've never actually seen any Harlock anime so this will be my first Harlock story. GunxSword was nice on DS, will be nice to have here in better visuals. Gaogaigar is gonna be zzzzzzzzzzzz and I love GGG. PS3 sprites still hold up and they just redid all the GGG sprites in the latest 3DS game and they were boring but clean and fine. This will just be a nicer version of that and GGG TV again.

Rayearth should be neat! I never played/watched Rayearth. Maziner Infinity was a terrible movie with meh CG mecha designs and they're going with the CG look here yuck.

I'm heading to Kauai in a week so I held off on ordering my copy of T until I get back but I'm also ready for some more SRW goodness.
野球

Bebpo

Man, the animation is really really choppy/stiff in the first units. Like giving me Z3 flashbacks. Great Mazinger animates awful especially coming from last 2 games of Mazinger Zero/Great Emperor G/Mazinkaiser's great animation. At least the old school Mazinger theme is back.

Also is it just me or does Big Volfogg (~2:12 in the vid) look weird?

Like this his how he looked in the last 3ds game which is more like how I remember him:

Bebpo

Also, so like Mazinger Infinity came out in Japanese theaters in January 2018, and it's March 2019 and it's not only a set of units with full animations in this game but part of the storyline. Normally SRW games are like 2-3 years after the anime because the dev cycle. These X/V/T games have to be like 12 month dev cycle games, which would explain a lot of the shortcuts in animation and asset re-use.

I really hope 2020 is the year of the next big 3 year dev cycle licensed SRW game with IBO and the big hitters.
...and OG3 if it doesn't arrive this fall. They did OG2 and Z3 the same year before so either OG3 hits late 2019 or 2020 we get both imo. I can't see them riding another year of these kinda lower budget games.

Bebpo

First time G Gundam makes an appearance in SRW sprites since MX in 2004 and...it's post-story  :'(
I mean I get it from a realistic perspective since these are clearly budget titles to hold over until the big SRW games, and doing G Gundam story means animating a whole lotta sprites, but still.

I also realized what's throwing me off about some the sprites of the new units in T: They're the most vertical proportioned sprites ever in SRW. I honestly don't think it looks very good. I mean we've come a long way from the fat body chibis (which I still think look good), but there has to be a better middle ground than weird ass human proportion tall and lanky mecha.