Author Topic: risen = wow  (Read 4736 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
risen = wow
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:09:03 AM »
risen > dead space + bayonetta + darksiders + ff12
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: risen = wow
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
wtf is risen ???
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »
a man's rpg

literally
duc

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 12:14:46 AM »
explain how its better than gothic pls.

also its banned here :(
itm

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:16:27 AM »
better combat, better environments, better polish overall
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:19:32 AM »
Risen is basically like having a three hundred pound man stomp on your face while he insults your mother and your manhood.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:25:27 AM »
Risen is basically like having a three hundred pound man stomp on your face while he insults your mother and your manhood.

:drool

Cant wait for the Xbox release. Asian version was only $20 on PlayAsia but I cant resell that crap.
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 12:57:49 AM »
Demo on PC was pretty good.  I'm gonna buy it as soon as it gets a sale on steam or wherever else.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »
The few reviews for the 360 port that I've read all made a point to mention that the controls are pretty terrible :'(
hi5

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 01:58:40 AM »
can't be any worse than sacred 2 or oblivion
duc

Himu

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »
Demo was fuck awesome

:heartbeat drinky :heartbeat
IYKYK

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 02:44:42 AM »
This game is really, really good. The combat and game world I think is a notch better than the best Gothic had to offer all-around, save for maybe some of the areas in Gothic 2.

The best part about the game is that they made a big game world, but not so big that huge swaths of it were uninteresting or extraneous. Every bit of the island is unique and interesting and has something that the player can explore or do there that is actually interesting. The skills are great and the overall game balance is top notch.

It's also very, very pretty. I really enjoyed the visuals from start to finish in the game.
hex

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 07:11:36 AM »
Terrible game. I played the X360 version. Looked like shit and played like shit.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 07:26:21 AM »
Terrible game. I played the X360 version. Looked like shit and played like shit.

Then play it on the PC where it controls great and looks fabulous.

Might as well say Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 3 are crap because the PC versions suck.
hex

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 07:36:44 AM »
Metacritic scores:

X360 version - 58
PC version -  77

I though the game was just shitty. But it seems to be a lousy port. Didn't expect that.
Most PC games on the X360 are actually playable. This one was definitely not.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »
can't be any worse than sacred 2 or oblivion

scared 2's controls are as perfect as humanly possible for a PC action rpg on the 360. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »
Risen has a very high frustration factor, in part because if you're not careful you'll get gangraped by a random group of enemies and because enemies with weapons with block 99% of the time. On the other hand, the world is jam-packed with stuff to do and the combat's got some interesting aspects to it once you spend the time to figure it all out.
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
blocking seems easily over come by double-tap dodging until you're behind them and whaling on them
duc

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 12:25:32 PM »
Risen looks awesome, I had hoped it would have been on the steam sale.  :'(

Didn't know about the demo though, will check out.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
blocking seems easily over come by double-tap dodging until you're behind them and whaling on them

It does help, but I'm usually only able to get one, maybe two, hits before they bring their defense back up.

I started doing better once I finally got a better weapon and a shield though, but I still get cut to shreds by groups of monsters.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »
I really, really want to shower this game with my undying affection because it does so many things so well. I really do. But I can't. The reason I can't is because it still uses the same busted, stupefyingly horrid as Gothic 3, which I hated with nearly every fiber of my being. It does introduce a few new things to try to flesh out the combat, but it just doesn't work.

Here are the problems:

-No healing in combat [it's not that you CAN'T, but your guy takes forever to swig a potion meaning you'll get killed before you can heal]
-Facing off against more than one opponent is an exercise in frustration [you get swarmed very easily, forcing you to use choke points and avoid tactics that help you out a lot in one-on-one scenarios]
-Opponents will block 4 out of 5 of your attacks with their weapon or shield
-Your character has to plant his feet before he'll swing, so no hit-and-run attacks
-4 out of 5 times that you charge an enemy, the enemy will jump back causing you to miss and leaving you open to attack
-Even the lowliest enemies can drain your health very quickly if you don't play each battle as safely as possible

Take a game like Two Worlds. The dialogue serves to induce laughter, the quests are boring, the locals are mildly interesting at best, and there's absolutely no challenge what so ever. But you know what? It's fun to play because it's got a combat system that doesn't get in the way and doesn't make you want to pull your hair out every five minutes.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »
Sounds better than DAO
fat

Damian79

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
I really, really want to shower this game with my undying affection because it does so many things so well. I really do. But I can't. The reason I can't is because it still uses the same busted, stupefyingly horrid as Gothic 3, which I hated with nearly every fiber of my being. It does introduce a few new things to try to flesh out the combat, but it just doesn't work.

Here are the problems:

-No healing in combat [it's not that you CAN'T, but your guy takes forever to swig a potion meaning you'll get killed before you can heal]
You can run while healing, you just cant stay in range of their blows.

-Facing off against more than one opponent is an exercise in frustration [you get swarmed very easily, forcing you to use choke points and avoid tactics that help you out a lot in one-on-one scenarios]
This is simply not true.  You can do a few attacks then run and heal at the same time and repeat.

That is why they got power attacks

-Your character has to plant his feet before he'll swing, so no hit-and-run attacks
I dont see why this is a problem but you can anyway, they will simply block your attack thought if you do that.

-4 out of 5 times that you charge an enemy, the enemy will jump back causing you to miss and leaving you open to attack
Why do you let them get behind you?  Always aim the guy closest to you.

-Even the lowliest enemies can drain your health very quickly if you don't play each battle as safely as possible
simply not true

In other words you suck at the game.

EDIT: I'll elaborate.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:41:05 PM by Damian79 »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »
Why do you let them get behind you?  Always aim the guy closest to you.

I'm not talking about letting them get behind you. I'm talking about you running towards a single enemy and trying to hit it. Most of the time you will miss because the enemy jumps back away from you. In the time it takes you to bring your shield back up, you're completely open to being attacked by said enemy.

You can run while healing, you just cant stay in range of their blows.

That's good to know, but I'd still rather be able to pause the game and chug down some potions or have it be instantaneous instead of taking a second or two for each one.

That is why they got power attacks

I haven't come across any kind of power attack that can break through your opponents defenses, just the one attack that knocks your opponent's weapon out of the way when they attack.

I dont see why this is a problem but you can anyway, they will simply block your attack thought if you do that.

It's a problem because I can't run up to an enemy and make a quick attack, my characters has to plant his feet and then swing which will almost always result in a miss or in my guy getting hit by the enemy. I almost always have to run up to an enemy, have my guy bring up his shield, and block the first attack from the enemy before I can even start thinking about my first attack. It's cumbersome and slows combat down.

simply not true

Yes, it is true, due to the issues I've stated. You come across a group of hungry wolves and if you don't play it safe, they'll knock down a quarter of your health.

This is simply not true.  You can do a few attacks then run and heal at the same time and repeat.

No, this one is also true. You'll get mangled trying to fight off a group of enemies, because they swarm all around you if you don't find a choke point and you can't get around one of them to get a good set of hits in because you'll get slaughtered from the rear. The only thing you can do is keep all of them in front of you and hold them off with broad swings of your sword.

In other words you suck at the game.

This isn't my first real-time RPG, dude.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:16:42 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

OptimoPeach

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 04:49:56 PM »
Only legit complaint. Everything else just makes it sound like yer bad
hi5

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
Only legit complaint. Everything else just makes it sound like yer bad

That one's probably my biggest complaint. Well, that and how frustrating it is to take on a group of guys, especially ones that are challenging even in one-on-one situations. The others are more minor stuff, but they all just kind of build up into something that can be very frustrating at times.

I've got the first one mostly sorted out now that I've finally got the quick bar going. It's still kind of a preference thing though, I like how in Oblivion I can pause the game, go into the menu, and then chug some potions rather than using potions in real time while trying to fight a battle.
dog

OptimoPeach

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 04:59:22 PM »
Well, mandatory immobility for attacks is pretty horrendous :lol
hi5

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
Well, mandatory immobility for attacks is pretty horrendous :lol

Yeah, it really is. I think that's probably causing me to be even more frustrated than I'd otherwise be with the other, more minor, issues.  :-\
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 05:22:48 PM »

It does help, but I'm usually only able to get one, maybe two, hits before they bring their defense back up.

I started doing better once I finally got a better weapon and a shield though, but I still get cut to shreds by groups of monsters.

are you training your specific weapon skill? the more training you get, the more moves you get. i am always circling around the enemy with double taps, which also keeps adjacent enemies from hitting me. double-tap, 1-2 strikes (third with a spear is a recipe for retaliatory PAIN if blocked or whiffs), double-tap, rinse repeat.
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »

are you training your specific weapon skill? the more training you get, the more moves you get. i am always circling around the enemy with double taps, which also keeps adjacent enemies from hitting me. double-tap, 1-2 strikes (third with a spear is a recipe for retaliatory PAIN if blocked or whiffs), double-tap, rinse repeat.

Yeah I'm doing that, along with picking up the best weapon for my strength level. Most of the times with groups the one I'm attacking will be in the center with on on each side, so if I try to circle the target enemy one on the side will hit me in the back. Or I'll come across a group of, like, five skeletons.

By the way, where can I find someone to teach me magic? The mage in the swamp said I should go to the town and look but I can only find someone there that will teach me alchemy.
dog

Damian79

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 06:02:59 PM »
Its been a while since i played the game but iirc, you need to get into the monastery.   You'll need to do a few quests for them in town and go there other wise they capture you and force you to not be a mage.

EDIT:  How are you coming across 5 skeletons at a time?  You only need to take up to max 4 at a time .  As for melee skills if you train in for example swords, you equip a sword and click and hold attack button you do power attack.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:06:17 PM by Damian79 »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »
I've been to the monastery, at the request of the Don, but I can't find anyone there that will train me in the magical ways.
dog

Damian79

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
I've been to the monastery, at the request of the Don, but I can't find anyone there that will train me in the magical ways.

Oh you sided with the don.  You cant now.  If you want to be a mage you need to side with the monastery iirc.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 06:54:03 PM »
Oh you sided with the don.  You cant now.  If you want to be a mage you need to side with the monastery iirc.

Oh good. I'm so glad that they explained that early on instead of letting me play the game for ten hours without realizing that it's a one-way street.

EDIT:  How are you coming across 5 skeletons at a time?  You only need to take up to max 4 at a time .

It's not liking I'm trying to. Some of the places that I go to are jam packed with skeletons. Even four at a time is way too much though.
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 07:07:33 PM »
the game is pretty clear that if you don't sneak into town, you'll be captured and the monastery will not like you. did you listen to the old mage at the starting farmstead? he pretty much spells it out!
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
the game is pretty clear that if you don't sneak into town, you'll be captured and the monastery will not like you. did you listen to the old mage at the starting farmstead? he pretty much spells it out!

No, I did sneak into town. I was never captured and taken to the monastery.
dog

Damian79

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 07:18:37 PM »
Have you tried kiting them so you only face one or 2 at a time?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
Sounds like we got a Himuro Hit and Run here. What aren't you telling us? It's clear you have an agenda. Maybe you should play casual titles like DAO...
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
Gonna get this. I'm pretty much done with Fallout 3 DLC. Man, PC gaming has been on fiya for me.
:9

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
You guys have me curious. DLding the demo now.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 08:45:33 PM »
Sounds like we got a Himuro Hit and Run here. What aren't you telling us? It's clear you have an agenda. Maybe you should play casual titles like DAO...

It would only be a hit and run if I didn't come back to discuss all of my points. Or if I hated RPGs from Eastern Europe. Neither is the case here, demi. Try harder next time.

Have you tried kiting them so you only face one or 2 at a time?

Yes, but sometimes the area I go to is just a big group and I can't kite one or two without getting all of them.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »
Great Rumbler's agenda against Risen

Try harder next time.

:smug
fat

Damian79

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »
Yes, but sometimes the area I go to is just a big group and I can't kite one or two without getting all of them.

Have you tried reloading the enemies are placed differently sometimes.  That is what i did, but then again i finished this game on the highest difficulty when it was released things may have changed.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 08:58:52 PM »

Have you tried reloading the enemies are placed differently sometimes.  That is what i did, but then again i finished this game on the highest difficulty when it was released things may have changed.

I usually get through areas eventually, so I'm not saying that it's impossible, but a lot of places are just really, really hard.
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »
I just whipped through the demo. I can get into this. I can see where combat needs to be taken seriously and can tell taking on more than one foe at a time will be challenging.

Thanks for the tip.  :-*
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »
Sword skill level 7 is basically a God-send. It allows you to *GASP!* use a charge attack! You character takes about a second to charge up an attack and then he lunges forward and performs a massive strike, effectively hitting an enemy outside your normal attack range and breaking through their defense. WHY WASN'T THIS AVAILABLE ON SWORD SKILL LEVEL 1?!
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »
because your character was not that good at SWORD yet!
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 05:02:33 PM »

Without that skill, combat in this game is such a chore. Almost to the point of seeming broken at times. The charge skill almost single-handedly fixes most of the issues I had with the combat!!

Nevermind that it took me nearly 15 hours to get that skill.
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:56 PM »
I dig it so far. The enemy encounters and combat mechanics definitely have a bit of a learning curve. I kept being killed by this creepy group of nearby gnomes. I then got into the groove of anticipating attack patterns and then learning that parrying requires you to drop your guard and block at the last moment. I can see how pulling a bunch of enemies can make even a high level character into danger but that sense of danger is cool, to be honest.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2010, 03:59:46 PM »
For anyone that's made it deep into this game, why are there some magical barriers that can't be destroyed by the spell that's specific purpose is to destroy magical barriers? I've found two in the eastern volcano ruins that my guy refuses to use the magical barrier destruction spell on. It's not the he uses the spell and it doesn't work, he just simply won't use the spell no matter how many times I try to click on the barrier. So...uh...is there something really simple I'm missing here?
dog

Brehvolution

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
Can't wait to play when I get home. :hyper
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:03:33 PM by Zero Hero EDGE™ »
©ZH

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
power up the spell?
duc

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2010, 04:03:09 PM »
For anyone that's made it deep into this game, why are there some magical barriers that can't be destroyed by the spell that's specific purpose is to destroy magical barriers? I've found two in the eastern volcano ruins that my guy refuses to use the magical barrier destruction spell on. It's not the he uses the spell and it doesn't work, he just simply won't use the spell no matter how many times I try to click on the barrier. So...uh...is there something really simple I'm missing here?

There's a second barrier removal spell you get later.
hex

Brehvolution

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »
Anyone experience a weird gray filter over the screen and only shows textures when the camera is really close up. I upped my VC settings and it didn't change anything, This is in the demo BTW.
©ZH

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »

Without that skill, combat in this game is such a chore. Almost to the point of seeming broken at times. The charge skill almost single-handedly fixes most of the issues I had with the combat!!

Nevermind that it took me nearly 15 hours to get that skill.

well, remember that this game's thang is its weird sense of faux-realism -- you should be pretty dang hesitant about battling when you aren't yet a badass by the game's terms (you don't have the skills/stats/spells to be one), and will hafta struggle more.
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2010, 04:11:11 PM »
Anyone experience a weird gray filter over the screen and only shows textures when the camera is really close up. I upped my VC settings and it didn't change anything, This is in the demo BTW.

Yeah, I've seen that before. Looks weird.

There's a second barrier removal spell you get later.

I've got the ones that the mage gave me when I was on the quest to find the druid. Where do I get these more awesome ones from?
dog

Brehvolution

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »
Holy shit this game is hard. :'( the first hunter I came across knocked me down and took my sword. All I could buy from him was a bow and there is something I'm not getting with how you shoot the bow.  :maf
I'm gonna have to hold off til I get a better machine to run it. The gray filter makes it impossible to see in the dark.
©ZH

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »
I've got the ones that the mage gave me when I was on the quest to find the druid. Where do I get these more awesome ones from?

You get an update via the storyline much later in the game. You'll get there, just be patient.
hex

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 03:05:03 PM »
It seems like a weird comparison but I'm getting an evolved Zelda vibe from this (in the best way possible). It really came home when I started searching for discolored areas in the ground so I can dig up treasure. There's other parallels too, like looking for plants that can ultimately be turned into potions that'll raise stats. Or maybe I'm wrong with with the choice of game and its more Ultima or something.

As far as the combat, I've become proficient at comboing and mixing in weapon parries. I'll swing three times, throw up a weapon parry (hopefully the enemy decides to try and break my combo at this point, if he does...), I'm able to keep the combo going. Its very satisfying once you get this down. I'm now able to take down multiple skeletons.

Visually this game is one of the best I've seen. There's one wow moment I had, at Harbor City. The lighting at sunrise is absolutely sick. I don't think I've ever seen a game light up a town like as beautifully as Risen has. Another moment was climbing up some path, turning around and seeing a fortress on top of the far off cliff face I crawled out of.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »
But Great Rumbler said it's frustrating and OMG
fat