Author Topic: Starcraft II closed beta launches this month  (Read 19497 times)

OptimoPeach

Re: Starcraft II closed beta launches this month
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
New patch out and they reset the database. Won all my placement matches (cept one that I got dropped from which they counted as a loss) and got put in Gold but I doubt that will last lol

New tag is OptimoPeach.ftw
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:57:20 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:43 PM »
Wound up getting put in the 2v2 gold league after winning 7 of the placement matches

now i'm getting annihilated  :'(

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2010, 09:37:10 PM »
I'm so going to tank my new placement matches.

Wait, I don't need to tank on purpose to lose.
AMC

OptimoPeach

« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=117562

Pretty awesome TL invitational tourney just ended. Lots of good reps for fap material

edit: Wow, I remember watching FPVODs of White_Ra years ago. Guess he's still got it
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:16:13 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2010, 03:22:33 AM »
Fought tooth and nail to remain in the gold league (2v2) today lol. I'm at 94 in my division. I'm pretty confident in my build now, although I need to get better preparing for rushes. I can pull off an 8 pool counter rush, but my economy winds up sucking after I survive the rush. I'll experiment in some custom games tomorrow.

My early gold games were utter disasters but now I'm either winning or losing competitively.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »
I've been sorta beasting lately. The day after the reset I played a bunch of games really stoned and tanked like 8 games in a row, but since then I've been clawing my way back up gold. At this rate I'll easily grind to platinum.

-TvP is really fucked up right now with that marauder cheese. I'm assuming they'll nerf marauders or reactor-fy the tech lab with the next patch. Maybe they can compensate by making mech worth a shit in this match-up

-Really loving opening with reapers -> FE against Z. If I don't have to scout them I'll go 9 rax-> 9 gas-> 11 depot and just rally my reapers for really fast harass; otherwise I just build standard and get the speed upgrade before going in with 2-3. I can also bunker if they go FE and really fuck them over. After I expand I usually transition into 2 port banshees or mass marauders/medic. For a while I was going with hellions for early harass, but it doesn't seem as viable if they open with early roaches from 1 base, which seems to be more popular as of late

-TvT is probably my weakest, if only because the match-up isn't nearly as linear and predictable as others. 2 port banshee doesn't appear to be as dominant as it seemed early on. Strategies and army composition are much more flexible than any other match-up imo.

-One thing that worries me is the game seems to become a serious macro & mass fest past 15min. Even in the pro matches I've seen, if the game doesn't end with some nice micro early they tend to turtle up and make it a war of attrition. It gets incredibly boring watching mass marauders vs mass roaches fighting in the middle over and over

Loving this game. It'll be my GOTY if they manage to work out some of the kinks and make a 2010 release
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:42:26 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »
StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty™ Collector's Edition Announced

Special edition of Blizzard Entertainment’s epic sci-fi real-time strategy game includes exclusive art book, flash drive, soundtrack, behind-the-scenes DVD, and more

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. announced today that its highly anticipated real-time strategy game, StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty™, will be available both in a standard edition and in a limited-release Collector's Edition packed with exclusive bonus materials. Players who purchase either edition will be able to play online for no additional fee through the new version of Battle.net®, the premier online gaming destination for Blizzard Entertainment gamers.

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 and Macintosh®. The standard edition will sell for a suggested retail price of $59.99 and will also be available shortly after release as a download through the online Blizzard Store. The special Collector’s Edition package, which is priced at $99.99 and will only be available at retail stores, will include the following bonus items in addition to the game disc:

The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game
An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor's dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War® expansion set
A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director’s commentary, and more
The official StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty soundtrack CD, containing 14 epic tracks from the game along with exclusive bonus tracks
StarCraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the comic series
A World of Warcraft® mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net account
Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit

"We've been looking forward to revisiting the StarCraft universe with our players for over 10 years, and we wanted to offer an epic collector's edition that commemorated the occasion," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "This special version of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty -- easily our biggest collector's edition to date -- does just that, and we think StarCraft II gamers will really enjoy all of the exclusive contents."

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is the sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s 1998 hit StarCraft, which has been hailed by players and critics worldwide as one of the top real-time strategy games of all time. StarCraft II will once again center on the clash between the protoss, terrans, and zerg, with each side deploying favorite units from the original StarCraft, along with numerous upgraded and brand-new units and abilities that allow for fresh tactics and strategies. The game's new 3D-graphics engine maintains the speed and responsive control of its predecessor while rendering hundreds of units onscreen for massive battles.

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty's solo campaign will continue the epic saga where it left off in StarCraft: Brood War. The storyline chronicles the exploits of marshal-turned-rebel-leader Jim Raynor and features both familiar faces and new heroes. Players will be able to tailor the experience, choosing their own mission path and selecting technology and research upgrades to suit their playing style throughout the 29-mission campaign.

Several challenge-mode mini-games will also be included, with focused goals designed to ease players into the basics of multiplayer strategies. In addition, dozens of multiplayer maps will be available for competitive play through the new version of Battle.net, which is launching alongside StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. This new version of the service has been built from the ground up to offer an unparalleled online play experience, with new features such as voice communication, character profiles and achievements, stat-tracking, ladders and leagues, cloud file storage, and more.

Additional information about StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, including the release date, will be announced in the coming weeks.

CBG

OptimoPeach

« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2010, 06:06:38 PM »
Additional information about StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, including the release date, will be announced in the coming weeks.
Yesssssssss
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2010, 02:58:58 AM »
[youtube=560,345]91XjX59O-VQ[/youtube]

9:50 on is just HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT BEST GAME EVER and also WHY CAN'T I BE THIS GOOD :'(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Day 9 sorta looks like a fat, bespectacled, slightly older version of me with a bad haircut lol
[close]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:06:14 AM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2010, 04:30:18 AM »
$60 for one campaign and multiplayer? What the fuck?

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2010, 05:26:27 AM »

Just wait for the $50 Cataclysm.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »
Are you serious?

ManaByte

« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »
Not but seeing how Starcraft II is only the third PC game to be $60 (MW2, Diablo 3 are the other two) I wouldn't be surprised if Cataclysm was more than normal now.
CBG

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2010, 10:45:56 PM »

Campaign is as long as the original SC, and really anyone with a brain knows they'll get $60 out of this if they are into multiplayer.
hex

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »
I wonder if they'll do any graphics upgrades by the time the final campaign comes out in a few years?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2010, 02:05:29 AM »

Campaign is as long as the original SC, and really anyone with a brain knows they'll get $60 out of this if they are into multiplayer.

Meh; the extra $10 isn't bad, just odd. I wonder if they'll be selling the toss and zerg campaign versions for $60 as well.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2010, 06:00:14 AM »
Probably. And then maybe an expansion after all of that
hi5

ManaByte

« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2010, 06:51:20 AM »
PD are you buying the CE just for the WOW pet?
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »
Hell no. The art book sounds nice but no thanks.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2010, 01:43:11 PM »
I got my beta code today for pre-ordering the game. :hyper
©ZH

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »
i just played my third practice league match. So far 2 wins, 1 loss. My last match I totally eased this dude in 10 minutes.
nat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »
I played my first match in probably 10 years. Got smoked.  :lol :lol probably  10 carriers and I had only 2 airships.

I expected as much though. I'm glad how smooth it runs on my 3+ year old computer.
©ZH

OptimoPeach

JULY 27
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2010, 06:40:30 PM »

:bow GOTY :bow2
hi5

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Put a preorder in today, fucking gamestop is out of beta keys :piss
jon

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2010, 06:44:06 PM »
Isnt this just part 1 of 3? lol.
fat

OptimoPeach

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
It's all about that multiplayer anyway

Put a preorder in today, fucking gamestop is out of beta keys :piss
I have an extra if you want it

hi5

Kestastrophe

« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »
:bow OptimoPeach

Yes please, kind sir  :-*
jon

Kestastrophe

« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2010, 07:20:36 PM »
OptimoPeach :bow2

jon

Brehvolution

« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2010, 07:45:01 PM »
Let's play sometime.  :-*

©ZH

OptimoPeach

« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »
Add me! OptimoPeach.ftw

Right now I'm stuck with laddering because all my real life friends ditched me for kiddy stuff like MW2 and WoW
hi5

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
I'm probably gonna start playing again. Played a few times recently since a couple of friends got it.

CajoleJuice.gafbore
AMC

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »
omgomg I just got a beta key I'm so stoked. Just finished installing it and I don't know jack shit about how to play this game. Is there a beginner's guide somewhere?
SRY

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2010, 05:00:25 PM »
I got my shit destroyed twice in a row on novice matches. Username is startselect.cap
SRY

Brehvolution

« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »
Played a match with Kestatrophe last night and it was good fun.

Pretty gay that there is no voice chat though. It even kills your steam conversation when launching the starcraft game. It even kills it when you alt tab back to the game.  :maf
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »
StonyJackson.pdark

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2010, 12:05:11 AM »
i hate this game again already
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2010, 01:26:59 AM »
 :lol

Painful losses are going to happen, and they can really be frustrating in RTS. Especially after you think you've turned a corner, then BAM you start getting crazy matches that fuck you up.

Yesterday I got manhandled in a 2v2, two zerg against two terran. The terran countered our every move and we were pretty slow to react. I eliminated their marine/marauder force with banelings, so they were full mecha on our asses; hellions, tanks, etc. It was like a long defeat. We won some battles but ultimately they contained us pretty well.

I need to start going air more. Usually I use a mixture of ground forces depending on the situation, and by the end of most games I haven't built a spire.

Kestastrophe

« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2010, 06:49:16 AM »
They're monetizing their game, while increasing their value proposition at the same time.

kestastrophe.kestastrophe
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:52:09 AM by Kestastrophe »
jon

Brehvolution

« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2010, 09:04:32 AM »
zerohero.zerohero
©ZH

OptimoPeach

« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
I need to start going air more. Usually I use a mixture of ground forces depending on the situation, and by the end of most games I haven't built a spire.
The only time I've lost to Zerg lately is when they pull a nice muta transition that I don't scout fast enough. Most people seem to have awful control with their infestors though, so maybe that's why
hi5

Kestastrophe

« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2010, 08:06:29 AM »
Does anyone know how placement works? I finished my 1v1 with a 1-4 record  :-\, so I am hoping that it pitted me against some higher ranked or experienced players.
jon

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
The only time I've lost to Zerg lately is when they pull a nice muta transition that I don't scout fast enough. Most people seem to have awful control with their infestors though, so maybe that's why

I can pretty much dominate toss as long as the game doesn't go too long, but I've always struggled against terran. I love seeing Thors though, they're so easy to control with infestors (btw I hate having to invest in natural parasite now...boooo patch qq). Banelings take out their light units easily, but when terran go straight mech I get fucked.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »
Someone on another forum was asking for videos of gameplay from members in the beta, so I figured I'd post this here as well as an opportunity to flex my e-peen. Fucking sound got desynced by YouTube.

[youtube=560,345]LoIpx7K0L84[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]EeTPNW1OGvE[/youtube]

I believe this was the win that got me plat, so it's a fairly old game. I dunno if I've gotten any better since then, though. Anyway, lots of mistakes. Lost the first marauder like a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, should have killed his supply depot with my second marauder before hopping in the bunker, bad control with my first banshee when I tried to push back up his ramp (attacking rax while all my shit dies lol), lost my third banshee to a rally point that I didn't reset, and I lost a shitload of banshees at the end to his sniping.

I can pretty much dominate toss as long as the game doesn't go too long, but I've always struggled against terran. I love seeing Thors though, they're so easy to control with infestors (btw I hate having to invest in natural parasite now...boooo patch qq). Banelings take out their light units easily, but when terran go straight mech I get fucked.
Yeah I'll pop out a thor for AA if I see mutas, but as soon as I see an infestation pit I cut production. I've lost games to neural parasited thors lol
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:29:49 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
I got an invite for this in my email today which was unexpected

I suck at rts games but ill play some of you if you want, havent made an account yet, ill update when I do
萌え~

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2010, 02:42:21 AM »
4-1 in placement matches with OptimoPeach, got into the gold league

OptimoPeach

« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2010, 04:57:27 AM »
4-1 in placement matches with OptimoPeach, got into the gold league
And that loss was my fault because I failed to block my ramp. In 2v2. Against double Zerg :lol
hi5

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2010, 07:09:39 PM »
ok I downloaded and played a match and held my ground before getting destroyed by zerg but yeah not bad for a first match

anyone want to play sometime I choose the name "Viz" and ".fail" not sure which/or both is needed

im really bad though so if we play expect to win
萌え~

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »
Any of you guys play since the newest update? Can only add friends through facebook or their emails. OR you can click on a guys avatar to make him a friend. Uhhh, how are we supposed to play with people from the internet who we don't want to give our real name or email to? So fucking distinguished mentally-challenged.
AMC

OptimoPeach

« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »
Yeah it's incredibly stupid. When they said they were removing identifiers I was all like THANK GOD NAMES ARE GONNA BE UNIQUE and then it turned out that they just came up with an even more distinguished mentally-challenged system. But hey, at least we have Facebook integration ::)

Battle.net is all kinds of fucked up right now. Games are regularly freezing for all players, wins are being recorded as disconnects, etc. I know it's beta and all, but nerdraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage
hi5

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2010, 01:01:18 PM »
Identifyers were quick and easy, especially after the patch that allowed you to quickly friend people you played against, or the friends of friends. Using emails feels archaic

OptimoPeach

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »
I'd be happy if names were just unique and we could do /f a Username like old b.net
hi5

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2010, 02:31:41 PM »
Yea, that.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
StonyJackson
jaethomas@gmail.com

"Let's exchange emails." Sounds like we're gonna work on a group project  :-\

OptimoPeach

« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

Don't want my email popping up on Google lol

My nerdrage is starting to boil over. Game is unplayable right now, and B.net 2.0 is kinda disappointing now that we're getting close to release. I'd elaborate, but Jinro sums it up much better than I can. Oh, and here's why the whole map publishing system sucks
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:47:47 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2010, 01:46:34 AM »
It's my spam/craigslist email lol

B Net works on a basic level, and I like the design. But most of the gripes in that thread are valid, and I've complained about them before with my brothers. I can't help but think stuff like pw protected games will be in the final product though, so I won't bitch too much.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment is the tournament setup, or lack thereof. The ladder system doesn't really feel like the competitive league I imagined it to be. While it's certainly fun laughing at my brothers as they play/ruin our rank, that's about the only entertaining thing about it. I want actual tournaments, and it's annoying being ahead by tons of points but still not being moved to the next ladder.

Facebook compatibility but no chat channels? SMH. Also, I really don't like my name being broadcast for all to see. I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the username/id format.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2010, 06:06:38 PM »
Game has been unplayable since the patch came out sigh.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »
Pretty much. Me and a couple real life friends were trying out 3v3 and gave up after the second or third crash in a row. I tend to bitch and moan a lot about Blizzard's tech support, but they are usually pretty good about fixing serious issues within a day, so something must be seriously wrong lol.

If you're itching for some SC2, go watch this incredible ZvT from the Europe vs Asia tournament earlier. TLO really topped himself in this one. I've never seen someone play the match-up like this
hi5

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
Yea all my encounters with tech support have been positive, and I know whatever is fucked up is being worked on. Rather bummed the last week of the beta is gonna go out like this though.

I'll check out the match

edit: amazing zerg play  :lol
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:21:40 PM by Phoenix Dark »

OptimoPeach

« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2010, 12:57:46 PM »
He has an almost nauseating amount of fanboys, but for good reason. His unorthodox play draws a lot of comparisons to Boxer, and the fact that he can pull this stuff off against top players with THREE races instead of one is fucking bonkers. Actually, his Protoss is pretty boring, but I don't think anyone can make SC2 Protoss exciting. Anyway, I think he's my favorite player to watch at the moment

[youtube=560,345]EC8BN-5Lpi8[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]GV8qWkCgUYg[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]jrKEr1gKfa0[/youtube]

For comparison

[youtube=560,345]xkxBJrBOqH0[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]V1BnYYRnzN4[/youtube]

hi5

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
I've added you guys. My email is cajolejuice@gmail.com

And because of those videos, I feel like I'm going to be watching a lot more SC2 stuff. Mostly from that Day[9] guy.
AMC