Author Topic: Game  (Read 138406 times)

dark1x

Re: FF13 creator: "don't mind the reviews"
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
One thing is interesting about this game,you are always traveling in series of tubes,but the game gives you epic feel...Square is really good at "faking" stuff,just don't stay too long at one place
The way "scale" is presented makes a HUGE difference.  Wide open games can feel small and cramped with the wrong visual design.

A totally linear, limited game can still give you the feeling of being in a large environment with the right visual design.  The physical layout of a dungeon in a game like this doesn't really matter that much.  Unless the dungeons focus on puzzles, they are generally designed as locales designed to house enemies and push the story forward.  Personally, I'd rather have a beautiful looking tube than an ugly maze.  This is actually why I never got into many of the Atlus SMT games, actually.  Nothing worse than wandering around a large maze with random battles.

I'm not saying a series of tubes are a great design decision either, but I don't necessarily think it's bad either.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »
Linearity is not bad i agree,but too much of it,well...i like open world games,so i am a bit bias,but sometimes this game gives you some really stupid invisible barriers.

There is one thing about combat,flashy but it feels empty at the same time...
It is really hard to believe that SE made TLR.
Game design doesn't help either,most of the time you have to fight because enemies are blocking your way(tube),you can turn left or right(enemies guarding some item,dead end).

I find one thing very funny...streamlined platforming,not a bad thing imo,it always makes me smile

cat

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »
A totally linear, limited game can still give you the feeling of being in a large environment with the right visual design.  The physical layout of a dungeon in a game like this doesn't really matter that much.  Unless the dungeons focus on puzzles, they are generally designed as locales designed to house enemies and push the story forward.

I do wonder if people would fixate on this as much if there weren't always a mini-map on the screen making it blatant.
QED

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2010, 06:41:32 PM »
A totally linear, limited game can still give you the feeling of being in a large environment with the right visual design.  The physical layout of a dungeon in a game like this doesn't really matter that much.  Unless the dungeons focus on puzzles, they are generally designed as locales designed to house enemies and push the story forward.

I do wonder if people would fixate on this as much if the game wasn't called final fantasy 13.

fixed :smug
<----

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »
Dragon Age is filled with tunnels and nobody gave it grief. Seems biased neckbeards want some of this.
fat

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »
Demi is right, though.

Do you remember the Tower of Ishaal, or the Tower of Mages? It's all about going round and round, and up staircases. I'm not complaining about it, I prefer it that way, especially when the non-linear alternative is the Fade level, which is horrible.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2010, 07:07:01 PM »
FUCK YOUUUU Target for having this game in the case but refusing to sell it to me :maf :maf :maf
pcp

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »
Yeah,Demi is right,but there is one big difference...
I am about 10 hours in and FF13 is like....imagine DA where you just fight,same level design,no towns,no anything,party members constantly appear and disappear for various "reasons"

If you like that,you will like this game.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:19:47 PM by maxy »
cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2010, 12:55:04 AM »
Are you seriously comparing Dragon Age to Final Fantasy 13 in terms of how open they are?

he has a point actually.  Dragon Age is tunnels and small fields.  It's got towns though and lots of dialogue.

Damian79

« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2010, 01:28:54 AM »
I am about 10 hours in and FF13 is like....imagine DA where you just fight,same level design,no towns,no anything,party members constantly appear and disappear for various "reasons"

I am definitely not buying this game now.  WTF is with no towns?

dark1x

« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
It seems that a lot of people aren't open to something different.  You know, towns are definitely awesome in SOME games, but they haven't exactly been something Square has excelled at in the past.  I'm not even saying that XIII did this right, as I have not played it yet, but it seems like a silly reason to completely write it off.

There have been other RPGs that don't offer towns, of course.  Something like Shin Megami Tensei III had virtually no safe zones in addition to random battles at all times and was extremely popular.  Obviously XIII is rather different from THAT game, but I think it demonstrates that there is room for change in the traditional formula.  Towns are not a must.

What does one do in most Final Fantasy towns anyways?  You have a small collection of random streets along with a number of NPCs standing around, some shops to use, and a single point in which you can advance the story.  If you're lucky, you might find some mini-games or side quests, though those are much less common.  Really, though, the towns have never been expansive or immersive in any way (outside of a couple examples).  Most NPCs have nothing of value to say and there is no exploration to be done (just a few obvious places you can go).  When you're done futzing around you then find the trigger point which will continue the story.  This type of progression dates back to the very first JRPGs and I feel like removing it in this game isn't necessarily going to be a game breaker.

That's not to say I wouldn't have preferred to see them take a new approach to towns.  The old model of Final Fantasy towns is outdated and would not have worked well here.  They either needed to evolve them or remove them.  Clearly, due to developmental challenges and problems, they designed around them.  What I feel they should have attempted is one or two MAJOR towns that offer significant exploration opportunities and sights to take in.  Perhaps not as grand as Assassin's Creed II (that city required two years from a major team), but something along those lines on a smaller scale.  I know people talk about Grand Pulse as a place where it opens up, but that's still just an open field.  A large city later in the game would have worked really well, I think.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »
Ff13 sounds like a waste of time

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2010, 01:31:41 PM »

I am definitely not buying this game now.  WTF is with no towns?
To hard...

Updated impressions,16 hours in,this is FF combat simulator...combat,combat and nothing more than combat
First few hours,movie heavy,after that combat and more combat,movie frequency greatly reduced

Copy-paste design,you "enter" an area and every few minutes you ask yourself "wtf?i have seen this before,maybe i got lost",but then you look at the map,big yellow arrow included...copy-paste design within the same "dungeon"
Long,long "dungeons",reminds me of SO4,but thankfully lots of save points and you can't really die.
Nothing except combat(new abilities) has improved,same game design...tube,enemies,tube,enemies,tube,enemies and so on
Story is so cheesy...

Not sure how long can i stand it...

DC was right... :bow DC :bow2

I could be wrong though*,cant wait for Bore impressions

*not really
cat

OptimoPeach

« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
snip
I don't think I've ever seen you complain about anything. You're far too affable and positive to fit in here :lol
hi5

Beezy

« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »
Maxy, how is the battle system? If it's really good then I can tolerate everything else.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »
Ff13 sounds like a miserable piece of shit

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2010, 01:52:25 PM »
:bow FF13

4 more days bros. Hype meter through the roof
fat

OptimoPeach

« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »
snip
I don't think I've ever seen you complain about anything. You're far too affable and positive to fit in here :lol
But in all seriousness, I think it comes down to what you glossed over in the last paragraph. It's arguably easier now more than ever for devs to design sprawling and immersive locales, so SE opted to remove towns from the equation entirely...why? Are they really so unimaginative these days that they couldn't come up with even a handful of interesting towns? And as mundane and unremarkable as some of them may have been in prior games, they certainly never detracted from the experience -- whereas in a game that ALREADY feels overly linear and restrictive, the absence of towns does nothing but further diminish any semblance of freedom
hi5

« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »

:hyper
野球

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2010, 01:59:06 PM »
You know, towns are definitely awesome in SOME games, but they haven't exactly been something Square has excelled at in the past.

I thought FF9, Xenogears and Chrono Cross all had excellent towns, though.
QED

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »
I liked the towns in Legend of Mana.
dog

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
Maxy, how is the battle system? If it's really good then I can tolerate everything else.
Good...kinda
Flashy,quick,you constantly have to change roles,attack a little,heal a little,defend a little,depending on enemy type.
Enemies have their weaknesses,you have to exploit them to break their defense and quickly defeat them.
Difficulty ramps up slowly,beginning is very easy.

Combat is the only thing that keeps me playing...

cat

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »

:spin

You know, I actually liked what I've played of the X360 version. Can't wait for the whole game.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2010, 03:09:31 PM »

:spin

You know, I actually liked what I've played of the X360 version. Can't wait for the whole game.
Just be prepared to play the same stuff over and over(30-40 hours),nothing changes except combat abilities and scenery,design is always the same,always.
cat

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »
Thanks for describing the rpg genre.  :lol
I just hope blahdvd sends this one on time. I still haven't received Heavy Rain. Still on backorder.  :-\

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »
Sounds like Maxy is experiencing his first JRPG... playing too many crap like Dragon Age
fat

Himu

« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »
:lol
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2010, 03:37:59 PM »
i wish i could play this
stupid sexy wii  :-\
<----

Himu

« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »
how do you not have a 360? they cost 200 dollars.
IYKYK

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2010, 03:39:29 PM »
He only has a Wii.  :lol

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »
Paid in full, this plus the limited edition guide, at the mall's GameStop... Too bad they're not having midnight launch at it, cuz if they did (and if I were single), I'd totally go, and hit on some chubby ginger FF otaku  :-*

I haven't really enjoyed an FF since 7 though, and I highly doubt this is gonna change my mind, but it'll hopefully at least be somewhat entertaining. And I'm used to the linearity after playing through ME1 and 2 dungeons.
^_^

Beezy

« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »
Good...kinda
Flashy,quick,you constantly have to change roles,attack a little,heal a little,defend a little,depending on enemy type.
Enemies have their weaknesses,you have to exploit them to break their defense and quickly defeat them.

No offense maxy, but that didn't explain much. :lol

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
I just hope blahdvd sends this one on time. I still haven't received Heavy Rain. Still on backorder.  :-\

Well,i warned you...this game is like running in circles

As for DA,i don't like it and this game is like DA without towns and people,just long dungeons,combat,combat and cheesy story full of holes,crappy characters included.

Good...kinda

No offense maxy, but that didn't explain much. :lol

Watch some videos,combat system is very simple,button smashing simple,i can literally play the game and read your replies
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:56:37 PM by maxy »
cat

Himu

« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »

As for DA,i don't like it and this game is like DA without towns and people,just long dungeons,combat,combat and cheesy story full of holes,crappy characters included.

Except Dragon Age still allowed a fair amount of exploration and quests.

How into the game are you?
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »

Some 17,18 hours

You can replace towns and people by exploration and quests...that is what i mean
cat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »
MAXY YOURE JUST A HATER LALALALALA not listening
fat

Himu

« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2010, 04:07:15 PM »

Some 17,18 hours

:lol Damn, you must like it if that's the case.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
maxy, how is hope treating you so far?

be honest.

Himu

« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
How many times has Snow screamed "Sara?" When I played I counted it about 10 times and that was of 5 hours of play.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
maxy, did you wake in the morning?

tired of sleeping?

get in the shower?

make your bed alone?

put on your makeup?

talk into the mirror?

ready for a new day?
fat

Jansen

« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
how bitrate starved are the cutscenes in the 360 version? surely there are screencaps somewhere on the net by now.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »
MY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDS

Himu

« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
Maxy, you beat off today yet?
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »

Some 17,18 hours

:lol Damn, you must like it if that's the case.
Combat is the only thing that i like.
Maxy, you beat off today yet?
Not yet :D

how bitrate starved are the cutscenes in the 360 version? surely there are screencaps somewhere on the net by now.
It reminds me of crappy CG used in  some PC games.
I blame Brink :yuck

How many times has Snow screamed "Sara?" When I played I counted it about 10 times and that was of 5 hours of play.
Million times probably,he does nothing except Sara,Sara,Sara
cat

Jansen

« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2010, 04:27:41 PM »
i found a video and either it's my pc or is v-sync seriously turned off?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h8kyb8

it's saved as a binkvideo.exe and i can't get it to open with another videoplayer.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:30:35 PM by Jansen »

Himu

« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »
SERA SERA SERAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
i found a video and either it's my pc or is v-sync seriously turned off?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h8kyb8

it's saved as a binkvideo.exe and i can't get it to open with another videoplayer.

There is no tearing in this game,very polished,runs great,not pushing 360 too much.
cat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
no game pushes 360 too much.

know your facts, xfag soldier.

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »
no game pushes 360 too much.

This one's too easy. :teehee

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2010, 04:58:32 PM »
maxy, did you wake in the morning?

tired of sleeping?

get in the shower?

make your bed alone?

put on your makeup?

talk into the mirror?

ready for a new day?
Not sure
Yes
No
Yes
No
No

There is a snow storm outside,nothing smarter to do.
cat

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2010, 05:02:28 PM »
SERA SERA SERAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
KUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREA
KUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREAKUREA
<----

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2010, 05:03:22 PM »
:rofl

MY HAAAAANDDSSS don't wanna start again
MY HAAAAANDSSSS no they don't wanna understand

Awesome song :smug

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2010, 05:14:44 PM »
maxy, what's your favorite food?
Hmm,first i have to destroy some shitty FF13 boss...then you will get your answer
cat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
but what about hope, maxy-kun?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2010, 05:51:51 PM »
Boss destroyed.
My favorite food is...everything that includes meat :drool

Surprised ?

but what about hope, maxy-kun?
Not going to spoil anything,but Hope is creepy...

cat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »
 :teehee

TripleA

« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2010, 09:01:37 PM »
Reviews are pouring in, general consensus seems to be that the game is good but not great.

Also, the 360 version appears to be a piss poor port. Are Square going to release a patch or something to get it looking better?

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2010, 09:24:16 PM »
You can't patch poorly-compressed movie files.
PS4

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2010, 01:22:06 AM »
Heh,Eurogamer gave it 8/10...one point better than WKC(7/10)...

EG Digital Foundry face off

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off

360 wins in performance department,not surprising...only win in this game

To illustrate the improvements Xbox 360 brings to the table such as they are, here's a selection of clips put through frame-rate analysis. You'll see that while both versions can drop frames, it is the Xbox 360 version that is undoubtedly smoother on average. Minimum frame-rate is 26FPS on 360, and 20FPS on PS3. It's interesting to note that the character close-ups are seemingly no problem for the 360: 30FPS is maintained while PS3 struggles.

Movies are horrible

Unfortunately, when any particular scene ramps up the motion, the encoding solution Square has employed collapses horribly. Detail disappears in a sea of macroblocking and banding, while the PS3 version remains pretty close to pristine thanks to the incredible amount of bandwidth (and thus video information) available.
The tragedy here is that the CG is a core part of the presentation in FFXIII and it seems to be the case that the company has paid little attention to the poor quality of the final assets on the Xbox 360 version. The Microsoft XDK ships with a VC1 decoder, giving it the ability to playback video files encoded using technology supported by Blu-ray discs and players. Indeed, movie pirates out there get excellent quality VC1 encodes of Blu-ray movies that manage to fit onto a dual-layer DVD and run from the Xbox 360 dashboard.

Decent encoding takes time and effort, but the results can look good - even on challenging material. Combine this with the fact that the game doesn't need the 1080p-sized video the PS3 version boasts, and we have the ways and means with which to attack the compression issue from two different angles.

Square-Enix has bought in the Bink compression system for FFXIII on 360 and its failure in high-motion, colourful scenes does suggest a constant bitrate is being used as opposed to variable bandwidth that allocates more data to maintaining image quality on more complex scenes.

This failure is compounded by the fact that Square-Enix hasn't even made full use of all the disk space it has available. Around 1GB of storage is left empty on discs one and two of FFXIII, and you have to wonder why all that empty space couldn't have been repurposed for higher bandwidth encoding. Perhaps it's because of the background loading taking place while the cut-scenes play out, but regardless, the hit to quality using Bink is often unacceptably bad.

Perhaps Square Enix might like to take some cues from the movie industry: top-tier studios employ compressionists whose sole job it is to make movie encodes look as good as they can possibly be within the confines of the disc space available. The parallel is not without some merit: the same encoding tools Microsoft developed for Blu-ray and HD-DVD movie compression might even be deployed for exactly this kind of thing, assuming that the 360's VC1 decoder is up to scratch.

Failing that, there are any number of h264 decoders out there that could be licensed and ported to the Microsoft console. The bottom line is that if FMV is so crucial to your game, and the storage on offer is limited, care needs to be taken so that every byte of available space makes a difference.

The results in Final Fantasy XIII aren't up to snuff - frankly, the encoding looks amateurish.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:40:16 AM by maxy »
cat

Jansen

« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2010, 02:39:30 AM »

:yuck :yuck :yuck

this sucks. i was hoping it wouldn't look so bad cuz i'm leaving town a few days after the game releases and seeing as how my destination is equipped with an xbox i figured i'd buy the game for 360 and take it with me.

now i need to figure out how i'm gonna pack up my ps3 and lug it around with me. not to mention that i need to find my set of ps2 component cables since there's no hdmi port where i'm headed.

DAMN YOU SQUARE ENIX!!!!