Author Topic: Game  (Read 138413 times)

Damian79

Re: FF13 creator: "we hope u rike our game"
« Reply #1620 on: May 06, 2010, 04:43:06 AM »
I dunno, i guess i am not playing any more FF games.  Seriously how can you make a female pirate with bunny ears boring?

SantaC

« Reply #1621 on: May 06, 2010, 04:44:49 AM »
I cant trust anyone here.  FFXII is like the worst FF to date, atleast FF1 and FF2 had something interesting about them.  FFXII has to be the most boring FF to date and has put me off all the new FF's to come.  I cannot even bring myself to but FF13 because of FF12, yet some people here like the game.

FF13 is even worse. Like 10x worse. Dont listen to demi, he has never had good taste in gaming.

Himu

« Reply #1622 on: May 06, 2010, 10:14:28 AM »
I cant trust anyone here.  FFXII is like the worst FF to date, atleast FF1 and FF2 had something interesting about them.  FFXII has to be the most boring FF to date and has put me off all the new FF's to come.  I cannot even bring myself to but FF13 because of FF12, yet some people here like the game.

FF13 will help you appreciate FF12.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1623 on: May 06, 2010, 11:52:28 AM »
:lol
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1624 on: May 06, 2010, 12:05:20 PM »
we win :lol

trolls r tuff

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #1625 on: May 06, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1626 on: May 06, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »
Fucking thread shitters get out of ma official thread.

I had to play through the entire game without coming here to share any impressions or discussions, It's annoying. :-\

Go create a trolling thread that I can easily ignore.

Haha, yeah, Kranz Fafka and Himuro are losers. What else is new.
fat

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1627 on: May 06, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »
we win

You win... what, exactly?

Afaik, there are only two people here who paid full price for a game they hated so much, they spent more time trolling it that they did playing it. Hint: It's not me or demi. 8)

So paying full price is enough to make you like a game?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1628 on: May 06, 2010, 12:58:28 PM »
Satisfaction  8)

Sexy Snow and our child Hope  8)

Step into the rainbow  8)
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1629 on: May 06, 2010, 01:04:32 PM »
I have to listen to FF13 music while playing ROF in order to make that game more enjoyable. FF13 is just the new hallmark.
fat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1630 on: May 06, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »
we win

You win... what, exactly?

Afaik, there are only two people here who paid full price for a game they hated so much, they spent more time trolling it that they did playing it. Hint: It's not me or demi. 8)

I didn't pay full price!  oh burnnnnnnnnnn  8)

Himu

« Reply #1631 on: May 06, 2010, 03:30:54 PM »
Why does dissent = hate

why are people who are always so unabashedly in love with something so...blind?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1632 on: May 06, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
Blind to what? All of us here have played bookoo number of RPGs. FF13 simply stands above at least 3/4 of them. :rofl

It's a good game, it's not a bad one, it's not the best one - end of story
fat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1633 on: May 06, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
it's the only good ff.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1634 on: May 06, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »
no finaru fantashi VII is the best.

Himu

« Reply #1635 on: May 06, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »
fainaru fantashii dokodokodoko
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1636 on: May 06, 2010, 07:57:56 PM »
The only good FF? Mebbe if year a nub and never played the SNES entries in the series.
Hi

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1637 on: May 20, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
picked this up again.  I went from ch.7 to ch.9 yesterday. 

Best game ever.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: FF13 |OT| creator: "we hope u rike our game"
« Reply #1638 on: May 23, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »
 :yuck
ど助平

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1639 on: May 24, 2010, 02:09:11 AM »
nah, not best game ever.  but I am feeling a hell of a lot better about it now that I'm 20 FUCKING HOURS IN AND THEY FINALLY GAVE ME FULL CONTROL MOTHERFUCKERS.  Srsly.  First 20 hours of FFXIII are total bullshit.  I needed a good long break from the game before I could finally deal with it shades.  Now I'm halfway through chapter 10 and I'm looking forward as fuck to chapter 11...you know, that point where a final fantasy game gets all compulsive?  i.e. after the first couple hours of XII?  What the fuck happened during the making of this game to make them drag it out so long? 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1640 on: May 24, 2010, 02:43:13 AM »
nah, not best game ever.  but I am feeling a hell of a lot better about it now that I'm 20 FUCKING HOURS IN AND THEY FINALLY GAVE ME FULL CONTROL MOTHERFUCKERS.  Srsly.  First 20 hours of FFXIII are total bullshit.  I needed a good long break from the game before I could finally deal with it shades.  Now I'm halfway through chapter 10 and I'm looking forward as fuck to chapter 11...you know, that point where a final fantasy game gets all compulsive?  i.e. after the first couple hours of XII?  What the fuck happened during the making of this game to make them drag it out so long? 

Would you even bother if it weren't a FF game?  It's amazing how much SE can get away with because of that franchise's cachet. 

I mean, how many people would bother playing a game which everyone knows, will take 20 hrs before getting to the good part?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1641 on: May 24, 2010, 02:48:15 AM »

Would you even bother if it weren't a FF game?  It's amazing how much SE can get away with because of that franchise's cachet. 

I mean, how many people would bother playing a game which everyone knows, will take 20 hrs before getting to the good part?

I might.  the battle system is really damn good.  The game would still get praise if it weren't FFXIII.  I think it might even be forgiven more, maybe even praised more for "streamlining" by gaming journos.  Definitely wouldn't have sold 5 million copies, of course.  Maybe it would've sold slightly above par for the gen?  or around whatever lost odyssey sold WW (1 million?)

it is fucking insane, I agree. but I had a week off from school and had the time to churn through the shit.

Himu

« Reply #1642 on: May 24, 2010, 03:43:56 PM »
The battle system is only good in certain battles though. It's not like fighting the same enemies, using the same strategies doesn't get boring. The battle system basics are there, but not enough to carry the whole game.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1643 on: May 24, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »
The battle system is only good in certain battles though. It's not like fighting the same enemies, using the same strategies doesn't get boring. The battle system basics are there, but not enough to carry the whole game.

You can say that about every rpg though.

Even in the best SMT you'll use the same tactics against the same enemy group every time.  But in FFXIII and SMT and good rpgs the first time you encounter the group, it's fun figuring out the best way to beat them.

Himu

« Reply #1644 on: May 24, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »

You can say that about every rpg though.

Even in the best SMT you'll use the same tactics against the same enemy group every time.  But in FFXIII and SMT and good rpgs the first time you encounter the group, it's fun figuring out the best way to beat them.

You can say that about every other rpg, but in other rpgs there's often to do than just battles. If FF13 had more than just battles, there would be no issue. But since the game literally is nothing but mindless battle after battle, its flaws are more out in the open than the standard rpg. A quest, or some exploration...something to take the player away from the mindless tedium that is "rav/rav/com -> syn/sab/med when I'm dying" would have  made FF13 a much better game and half of the complaints about pacing and having to play 20-25 hours would be a non-issue.

Other rpgs have nothing but battles but these games get going fast. For example, Dragon Quarter is nothing but battles but the game continously ramps up in terms of difficulty, variety and design. Strange Journey is nothing but battles and dungeon crawling, just like FF13, but by the end of the first dungeon you fight encounters against mobs who stomp the floor with you if you're not careful and underestimate them and by the second dungeon the game introduces traps and standard Wizardry-like dungeon design. The games do not take 20-25 hours to get good, and the battles and dungeons do carry the games.

The difference here is that the FF13 team had a ballsy idea: make a jrpg that's nothing but battles and dungeon crawling, but the meat is so vapid that the game suffers because of it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:07:02 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1645 on: May 25, 2010, 12:29:50 AM »
Well himu, it was nice working with you, but I'm off the troll wagon because CHAPTER 11 OMFG.  If it's as large as it seems, I'm gonna be spending a lot of time in gran pulse.  

I actually love this part with no qualifications on it.  Just great JRPG gameplay, amazing graphics, and music.  And the upgrade system finally means something since the enemies are tough.  Still pissed there are no audio sliders...not sure why character grunts have to be so damn loud while the awesome music is barely in the background.

If any other jilted Final Fantasy fans get a spare 25 hours to get to chapter 11, go for it, it's worth it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:35:58 AM by Don Flamenco »

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1646 on: May 25, 2010, 01:23:58 AM »
Yeah I'm gonna give it another try when the SC2 beta ends next week. I think I stopped playing a little after Fang joined my party, whenever that is.
hi5

Himu

« Reply #1647 on: May 25, 2010, 01:34:36 AM »
Well himu, it was nice working with you, but I'm off the troll wagon because CHAPTER 11 OMFG.  If it's as large as it seems, I'm gonna be spending a lot of time in gran pulse.  

I actually love this part with no qualifications on it.  Just great JRPG gameplay, amazing graphics, and music.  And the upgrade system finally means something since the enemies are tough.  Still pissed there are no audio sliders...not sure why character grunts have to be so damn loud while the awesome music is barely in the background.

If any other jilted Final Fantasy fans get a spare 25 hours to get to chapter 11, go for it, it's worth it.

Chapter 11 owns. But let's see what you think about it after chapter 11. ;) Even I had the same reaction initially. If the whole game were like chapter 11 I'd love it to pieces.
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1648 on: May 29, 2010, 11:41:14 PM »
Just got to 12 and yeah, it's back to the same old shit.  but the graphics are somehow a shitload better than before even...the whole race track area and highway scene are just woooooooooooow.   I can go back to hallways for a couple hours before getting back to the ch.11 area.  Gives me a chance to upgrade shit, experiment with my new gear, etc.

This is the most qualified good game I've played....definitely one of the few times where "wait 20 hours, THEN it gets good" is actually true.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:42:45 PM by Don Flamenco »

Himu

« Reply #1649 on: May 29, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1650 on: May 31, 2010, 12:46:01 AM »
beat it.  Yeah, the old raging hate for this game was coming back towards the end.  :lol   

Had no fucking clue what was going on in the ending but parts of it were pretty, I guess.  Pretty much sums up the whole game, nothing makes any sense BUT HEY LOOK AT THIS PRETTY CRYSTAL look at it look at it look at it and waves of color and magic shit sparkling and vanille orgasming at everything !!!!   Who cares if none of it makes sense when it's all so beautiful!! 

Probably gonna trade it in, then pick it up on the cheap sometime later to go back to the good part.

Himu

« Reply #1651 on: May 31, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »
I told you :lol
IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #1652 on: May 31, 2010, 03:26:33 PM »
beat it.  Yeah, the old raging hate for this game was coming back towards the end.  :lol   

Had no fucking clue what was going on in the ending but parts of it were pretty, I guess.  Pretty much sums up the whole game, nothing makes any sense BUT HEY LOOK AT THIS PRETTY CRYSTAL look at it look at it look at it and waves of color and magic shit sparkling and vanille orgasming at everything !!!!   Who cares if none of it makes sense when it's all so beautiful!! 

Probably gonna trade it in, then pick it up on the cheap sometime later to go back to the good part.
You mean Gran Pulse?  Just finish the missions and you should be all set with the game.  Five starring them was pretty fun as well.  I was going for the Platinum, but the tedium of the treasure hunter trophy was too much.  I remember reading some dude on GAF grinding for 12 hours in one day to get enough money to upgrade all the weapons and armor.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1653 on: May 31, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »
Yeah, gran pulse.  Fuck no to the treasure hunter achievement!!   

I'll probably go for the other cheevs when I rebuy the game though. 

Jansen

« Reply #1654 on: June 19, 2010, 07:24:20 AM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

vanille's voice actor has a really well rounded, uh, personality!

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1655 on: June 19, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

vanille's voice actor has a really well rounded, uh, personality!

Haha, nice rack.
^_^

Jansen

« Reply #1656 on: June 26, 2010, 06:43:41 AM »
finally beat it tonight.

even tho the story was a mess of shit and the linearity was horrible i still enjoyed the game.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1657 on: July 02, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
Think I can kill this shit in 5 days? OR WILL IT KILL ME? Gonna try and marathon, but lawd' I should know better.
:9

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1658 on: July 02, 2010, 10:45:36 PM »
Think I can kill this shit in 5 days? OR WILL IT KILL ME? Gonna try and marathon, but lawd' I should know better.
Maybe it can be done in one shot. I got right to the end and never finished. :(
Hi

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #1659 on: July 02, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »
The story should be around 40 hours if you do little to no sidequests. Depends if you have that kind of time.
BiSH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1660 on: July 04, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »
The shitty exposition at the start is really wearing thin on me. I don't care about Snow and his relationship with Sera, I don't care about how Lightning treated Sera like shit on the day she turned into a giant cubic zirconia, I don't care about Hope and his relationship with his parents and I don't care about Vanille at all. The only characters that are remotely interesting are Lightning and Sazh. I just want to get on with the story and save this planet full of douchebags. Noooo, run through these tunnels and we'll stop you every ten minutes to give you insight on why Vanille puckers her bootyhole at night. Fuck this shit.

I also can't believe they have the most vapid character in the game narrating. This is worse than Vaan being the main character in FFXII.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:22:43 PM by BlueTsunami »

Himu

« Reply #1661 on: July 04, 2010, 06:21:40 PM »
Don't do it, blue.
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1662 on: July 04, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
CRYSTALS = DEEP SYMBOLISM

ahahaha, fuck this game

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1663 on: July 05, 2010, 07:18:19 AM »
I'm halfway through Chapter 9 (using an FAQ) and 16 hours in.  The game has been getting better and better for me since Chapter 6 when SE decided to vary the environments.  Generic futuristic corridors got boring fast.  Overall I like the game now that things are picking up.  The battle system is pretty good once you set up enough paradigm shifts and know how to work the system a bit to get in a few more hits.  I found that upgrading weapons early on are a total waste of time and I'm still surprised how simplistic the Crystarium is compared to the Sphere Grid of FFX.  I still love it though.

The shitty exposition at the start is really wearing thin on me. I don't care about Snow and his relationship with Sera, I don't care about how Lightning treated Sera like shit on the day she turned into a giant cubic zirconia, I don't care about Hope and his relationship with his parents and I don't care about Vanille at all. The only characters that are remotely interesting are Lightning and Sazh. I just want to get on with the story and save this planet full of douchebags. Noooo, run through these tunnels and we'll stop you every ten minutes to give you insight on why Vanille puckers her bootyhole at night. Fuck this shit.

I also can't believe they have the most vapid character in the game narrating. This is worse than Vaan being the main character in FFXII.

You watch the cutscenes?

I just skip them all and listen to podcasts and random music assortment when playing the game.  That way I can skip the squeals of Vanille and the shitty attempts at character exploration.  I heard the music is good but it doesn't seem worth it to have the volume on in this game.
🍆🍆

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1664 on: July 05, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »
You watch the cutscenes?

I just skip them all and listen to podcasts and random music assortment when playing the game.  That way I can skip the squeals of Vanille and the shitty attempts at character exploration.  I heard the music is good but it doesn't seem worth it to have the volume on in this game.

I really should just skip them (the thought passed my mind too now that the gang is split up and feels all like a giant tutorial) but for some reason I keep hoping it'll get better. Hell, I gritted my teeth and watch all the Star Ocean 4 cutscenes but this, this feels more mind numbing for some reason (Star Ocean 4 at least had the benefit of having a epic and large scenario being toyed with right at the beginning). The story at the beginning of FFXIII feels absolutely aimless, long and aimless.

Himu

« Reply #1665 on: July 05, 2010, 02:49:07 PM »
chapters 6-8 were great. 9 sucked, 10 sucked, 11 is fab, 12 sucks, 13 is shit

game am all ovah da place

blue the entire story is aimless
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1666 on: July 05, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
How can a game be "all over the place" when the only direction is forward? :smug
fat

Himu

« Reply #1667 on: July 05, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1668 on: July 05, 2010, 10:55:11 PM »
Battle System becomes awesome when its not just two douches vs. four enemies

Fucking shit up

Himu

« Reply #1669 on: July 05, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »
for a while it does, yes.

I assume you're on chapter 8 aka the second best chapter
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1670 on: July 05, 2010, 11:30:32 PM »
Yeah, I think, I just boarded the airship where Sazh and Vanille are being held

Himu

« Reply #1671 on: July 05, 2010, 11:31:20 PM »
ugh chapter 9

shit chapter

IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1672 on: July 06, 2010, 06:36:54 AM »
I just sent the game back in.  I finished Chapter 9 (which was a good chapter - a lot of CP racked up) but I thought I could delete Disc 2 from the hard drive before putting in Disc 3.  Well, I thought wrong and now I have to fight the Chapter 9 boss all over again.  GF sent me Vesperia so I'll uguu it up and play that instead.

I will re-rent this game for sure though.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #1673 on: July 06, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
vesperia owns
IYKYK

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #1674 on: July 06, 2010, 10:56:04 AM »
Ehhhh, ch9 boss was pretty easy. All the bosses were easy if you'd use some strategy.
The only hard fights in this game are the 5 star hunts. They're only hard because the enemies have a gazillion hp, and deal a lot of (cheap)damage, though.

Himu

« Reply #1675 on: July 06, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »
chapter 9 boss was easy, true. But then it uses destrudo and the game makes you think you have to use defense against it, but in reality you have keep attacking. Complete trial and error
IYKYK