Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3044912 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18540 on: October 22, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
Much interest here in retro games? I might start up a general retro thread, share some guides on how to get the best out of your consoles and shit like that, emulation too.

I'm a big retro guy, so go nuts!
^_^

Rich!

« Reply #18541 on: October 22, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »
Much interest here in retro games? I might start up a general retro thread, share some guides on how to get the best out of your consoles and shit like that, emulation too.

done! I quickly whipped something up before heading off to bed. Would be cool to get some kind of recommendations for Mega Drive games at some point as I've been neglecting it recently

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18542 on: October 22, 2017, 10:22:06 PM »
taste the impotence

(Image removed from quote.)
https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2017/10/20/second-opinion

Hadda look up what he was going on about. I said it elsewhere, but here it is again: If Visceral didn't have something corporately endearing at the three year mark for a planned five-year dev cycle, they were never going to have something that worked. During the dev cycle, their client is their publisher, and they MUST be able to rationalize their existence at each milestone.

I am not a huge fan of EA, but they are SO MUCH BETTER than they were 10-15 years ago, and I'm unwilling to assume that this was a foolish or shortsighted decision. I would have love-love-loved a new singleplayer Star Wars property that allowed me to step into that world, free from idiotic, wanton destruction, team battles, and Rando Calrissians. I know we'll get one eventually.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18543 on: October 22, 2017, 10:59:32 PM »

done! I quickly whipped something up before heading off to bed. Would be cool to get some kind of recommendations for Mega Drive games at some point as I've been neglecting it recently

English releases:
Crusader of Centy, Air Buster, Saint Sword, Alisia Dragoon, Exile (though the Super CD one's much better due to a more legible translation and redbook audio), Langrisser/Warsong, Warrior of Rome II, Elemental Master, Arcus Odyssey, Vapor Trail, Dirty Pair, Atomic Robo Kid, 2 Crude Dudes, Star Odyssey (not an -official- English release, but Watermelon or Super Fighter Team or one of them found an old English translation that was cancelled shortly before it was supposed to release, touched it up, and released it on cart)...

JP releases:
Twinkle Tale, Monster World IV, Gleylancer, Undeadline, Langrisser II, King Colossus
^_^

FatalT

« Reply #18544 on: October 22, 2017, 11:25:29 PM »
I really hope Assassin’s Creed: Origins isn’t a turd. I figure I’ll buy that one Friday and Red Box Wolfenstein 2 since Wolf will probably be relatively short (for me at least, I blasted through The New Order and The Old Blood) and AC games are meaty, open-world collectathons. I was thinking about the South Park game too but I’ll probably end up just Red Boxing that down the line or waiting for a sale, even though Assassin’s Creed will probably go on sale before South Park does. I’M SO CONFLICTED!

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18545 on: October 23, 2017, 04:47:18 AM »
Do you know how to softmod OG Xbox? Been looking for a 2017 tard-proof method, I've got 3 of them in my closet.
Yeah, I have one kicking around somewhere with a 160gb HDD. It was ages ago but fairly simple - I used a copy of splinter cell: chaos theory and a USB adapter with a hacked save on it. Booted it up to put the console into soft boot mode, then while it was running, hot swapped the HDD with a new one and installed the custom dash on that via LAN. I don't really have a guide to hand but you can buy kits with the game and adapter on eBay, and ide hard drives are cheap as shit now
You really just need the original Splinter Cell and then a usb adapter (the controller ports are just usb ports with a different connector), and a flash drive under so many MB, unless they've found a way around that, for the hacked save. The Xbox will think it's a memory card and then you can load the save from inside the game.

The hacked save will crash the game, but stop the console from rebooting fully, instead rebooting into a special dashboard, you just need to install the softmod from there and then you can re-install dashes pretty much willy nilly in multiple ways after that. But usually there's also one on the softmod save, or you can pick one using utilities, that you can install temporarily and then install over or swap hard drives.

The default 8GB drive is fine imo at least for most emulation that the xbox can actually run. There's also ways to connect to your PC or whatever over LAN so you don't actually have to load anything but the programs onto the Xbox, I even streamed movies/tv shows to it for a while that way.

Once it's been softmodded you can boot any kind of disc, iirc you don't even need a dash installed to do it because they're on the discs which will temporarily load it, the softmod just identifies the xbox as good to go. Installing one of the common dashboards, like xmbc or whatever, I think just makes it faster because the disc doesn't have to load its version, it just checks against the dash you have loaded and all the custom ones identify themselves as everything.

I only softmodded my Xbox the one time but I'm pretty sure I've used different dashboards, when you go to install them you just tell it not to overwrite the softmod's part or whatever, or you copy them into a specific folder. I forget how it works. I don't even know what's on mine anymore, haven't let it boot into the dashboard at all as I've just been playing regular games on it. But it's probably got like the softmod I installed on it in 2006 plus some xmbc or something from 2010 or so.

FatalT

« Reply #18546 on: October 23, 2017, 05:44:28 AM »
What are you all planning on buying/renting between Assassin’s South Park Fractured But Whole, Creed: Origins and Wolfenstein 2?

Marhunchy

« Reply #18547 on: October 23, 2017, 06:06:10 AM »
any Football Manager drone here?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18548 on: October 23, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »
I think pilonv1's played it a few times. :teehee

Cravis

« Reply #18549 on: October 23, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »
Anyone here pick up Mutant Football League on PC?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18550 on: October 23, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »
What are you all planning on buying/renting between Assassin’s South Park Fractured But Whole, Creed: Origins and Wolfenstein 2?
Wolfenstien 2. It's been a while since I played a good FPS and this looks like it's hitting all the buttons. Creed, is something I want to hear people I like talk about first. Different combat, less BS, and excellent production values sound great but it's still a Creed game so I'm cautious. Plus I may wait to get a One X and get it on that.

Cravis

« Reply #18551 on: October 23, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »
Bought South Park. Renting Wolfenstein. Hoping for Black Friday deal for Assassins Creed.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18552 on: October 23, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
I'll be buying Wolfenstein 2
Girlfriend will buy Asscreed: Origins
Literal zero interest in South Park
nat

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #18553 on: October 23, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »

Mario Odyssey.

Rich!

« Reply #18554 on: October 23, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »

English releases:
Crusader of Centy, Air Buster, Saint Sword, Alisia Dragoon, Exile (though the Super CD one's much better due to a more legible translation and redbook audio), Langrisser/Warsong, Warrior of Rome II, Elemental Master, Arcus Odyssey, Vapor Trail, Dirty Pair, Atomic Robo Kid, 2 Crude Dudes, Star Odyssey (not an -official- English release, but Watermelon or Super Fighter Team or one of them found an old English translation that was cancelled shortly before it was supposed to release, touched it up, and released it on cart)...

JP releases:
Twinkle Tale, Monster World IV, Gleylancer, Undeadline, Langrisser II, King Colossus

oh sweet! That's quite the list, thanks! I've already played through Crusader of Centy which was a great game but I've never heard of any of the others apart from Monster World and Dirty Pair. I grew up on the Nintendo side of things from the GB/SNES onwards so I missed out on the entire 16/32bit Sega catalogue. Funnily enough despite how much I hear Sega were popular here in the UK in the 90s, I never knew anyone who actually had anything other than a SNES, PS1 or N64 through the 90s.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18555 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:03 PM »
What sorts of games do you like?  The Mega Drive/Genesis has a huge library.  There's also been a pretty active homebrew/hacking community over the years that has done some pretty good stuff, like a surprisingly well done version of Wolfenstein 3D.

My top 10 are

Revenge of Shinobi
Streets of Rage 2
Pit-Fighter
Forgotten Worlds
MUSHA
Shining Force
Street Fighter II Special Championship Edition
Strider
Castlevania Bloodlines
NHL 94

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18556 on: October 23, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »
what are the best sega/mega drive game soundtracks?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18557 on: October 23, 2017, 05:53:02 PM »

->http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=44820.0 <-

But really it's power rangers the movie

fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18558 on: October 23, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »

Streets of Rage series, Sonic the Hedgehog series, just about everything by Konami.
dog

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18559 on: October 23, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
Gauntlet IV has an awesome soundtrack and it's a pretty cool version of the game to boot, almost more like a light action RPG.

Anything by Yuzo Koshiro is top notch  (Shinobi, Streets of Rage, etc)

Cravis

« Reply #18560 on: October 23, 2017, 08:52:10 PM »
Batman & Robin and Red Zone have great soundtracks.

pakbeka

« Reply #18561 on: October 23, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »

->http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=44820.0 <-

But really it's power rangers the movie

Agreed. And here I thought I was the only one that ever played this.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #18562 on: October 23, 2017, 11:37:19 PM »
So when I learned to speed read they taught me to do it by teaching me to go to sleep (the concept was that the concentration on nothing to go to sleep in a few minutes is the same you need for speed reading), which actually worked rather well. I can read pretty damn fast. But the issue is, that I can't read before going to sleep because I'll just put myself to sleep right away. So I've taken to playing on my hand held to clear my mind before I go to sleep. Which really gets me into trouble sometimes, especially when I'm really tired. More than once I loaded my save and found myself outside a new town in the game and was like "What town is this? What am I supposed to be doing? When did I get that person in my party?"

It's pretty common actually.
que

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18563 on: October 24, 2017, 12:15:36 AM »
i recommend a f2p game before bed. still gives you that gaming fix but no chance of losing your place
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18564 on: October 24, 2017, 12:18:36 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18565 on: October 24, 2017, 01:49:25 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18566 on: October 24, 2017, 04:13:37 AM »

Para-Medic

« Reply #18567 on: October 24, 2017, 05:12:08 AM »
Do we have a PS4 OT? Because I gotta admit most of the shit I play is Japanese and PS4 is the place to be regarding that content.

Tomorrow is a huge day. Yomawari, Chaos;Child, and Nights of Azure 2. Amazon just sent me my pre-order bonuses, just not sure if anyone here likes to discuss these types of games?

Edit: Also PS4 firmware is updated 5.01, it's not mandatory but they say it "improves system performance."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:20:18 AM by Para-Medic »

Acosta

« Reply #18568 on: October 24, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »
Do we have a PS4 OT? Because I gotta admit most of the shit I play is Japanese and PS4 is the place to be regarding that content.

Tomorrow is a huge day. Yomawari, Chaos;Child, and Nights of Azure 2. Amazon just sent me my pre-order bonuses, just not sure if anyone here likes to discuss these types of games?

Edit: Also PS4 firmware is updated 5.01, it's not mandatory but they say it "improves system performance."
´

I really want to go back to NVs, it´s a great commitment of time but my time with Steins; Gate was incredible.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18569 on: October 24, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »

We dont really have specific OTs, if you want to talk about your weeb games, you could talk in this thread or make a specific thread. We have several weebs here who might show interest.
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18570 on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »

I've got Yomawari and Chaos;Child preordered, I will pick up Nights of Azure 2 at a later date.
©@©™

Para-Medic

« Reply #18571 on: October 24, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »
@Acosta: If you liked S;G you should try Steins;Gate 0! Also releasing today is Chaos;Child which takes place in the same lore universe as S;G (and pretty much all of 5pb's Sci-Fi VN's.)

@Demi: I think I'll save thread making until I become a more established member. Wouldn't wanna just show up and start spamming the place haha.

@ Joe: You're getting both of those on Vita as I recall? As much as I love my Vita I really only buy exclusives and VN's for it these days. Though I don't think Yomawari or the upcoming Demon Gaze 2 will be missing anything big from their PS4 counterparts.
==============

Here's some news headlines for fans of Eastern games today.

- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory will launch for PS4/Vita Jan. 19th, US and EU.
- Koei Tecmo has released a 30 minute trailer for their Attack on Titan 2 game. You will be able to make your own character.
- Attack on Titan 2 launches in March 2018, US and EU, for PS4, XOne, PC, and Switch. (Vita Version JP only)
- Megadimension Neptunia VIIR coming West in Spring 2018. (PS4/PSVR Exclusive atm)
- Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection launches October 31 for Steam/GOG.
- Reco Love and Photo Kano producer (Sugiyama Ichiro), has announced an untitled "Love Simulation" game for PS4.
- God Wars: Future Past (PS4/Vita) will be getting a rather large Expansion DLC this Winter.
- Kadokawa Games and Gcraft announce a "Starly Girls" SRPG console game. (Revealed in Dengeki PlayStation so PS4 safe bet)
- Xbox One's Yomi wo Saku Hana, a J-SRPG exclusive from developer Experience, has been delayed again, this time until Spring 2019.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18572 on: October 24, 2017, 10:45:53 AM »
are these media vision Digimon games real kiddie or would I still enjoy them as a crusty aging man
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18573 on: October 24, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »
Cyber Sleuth is supposed to be pretty decent, a "traditional RPG" with Digimon. I own it, havent played it yet. The "Next Order" game plays completly different.

The upcoming Hacker's Memory is basically Cyber Sleuth with another story.
fat

Jerry

« Reply #18574 on: October 24, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »
Cant believe valve are still making TF2 updates.

The should re-focus everything into creating even more elaborate user statistics and graphs
COYS

Rich!

« Reply #18575 on: October 24, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »
Anyone else played through Doki Doki Literature Club?

Use spoilers if you have, but oh my god that was an...experience. It's free on steam, so if you want a nice cheery and relaxing VN give it a go

Bitmap Frogs

« Reply #18576 on: October 24, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »
do y'all have a general dota shitposting thread?

search turned up nothing

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18577 on: October 24, 2017, 12:48:14 PM »
playing dota is a sin and you should repent
pcp

Bitmap Frogs

« Reply #18578 on: October 24, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
playing dota is a sin and you should repent

never, a sinner's life for me

mid or feed!

Jerry

« Reply #18579 on: October 24, 2017, 01:54:26 PM »
Dota is life
COYS

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18580 on: October 24, 2017, 01:55:20 PM »
Archie plays DOTA, but I dont recall anyone else really talking about it here
fat

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #18581 on: October 24, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »
i probably hate mobas more than gaf itself.

Bitmap Frogs

« Reply #18582 on: October 24, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »

Not worth it to start a thread just to endlessly quote myself.

« Reply #18583 on: October 24, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »

The should re-focus everything into creating even more elaborate user statistics and graphs

Saw something about Heavies with 30000 hp, what did they break in the update?

Use spoilers if you have, but oh my god that was an...experience. It's free on steam, so if you want a nice cheery and relaxing VN give it a go

Oh I didn't realize it was free. Heard good things about it, downloading it now

Rich!

« Reply #18584 on: October 24, 2017, 05:57:27 PM »

Saw something about Heavies with 30000 hp, what did they break in the update?

Oh I didn't realize it was free. Heard good things about it, downloading it now

Yeah it's free. Just remember that it's not over until you see the staff credits.

« Reply #18585 on: October 24, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »
Well alright. I'll keep that in mind

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18586 on: October 24, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »

« Reply #18587 on: October 24, 2017, 07:36:14 PM »
Next Apple will introduce stickers and emojis via loot boxes you get sending texts or paid exclusively with Apple Pay™, everyone will follow suit and it will be too late for us

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18588 on: October 24, 2017, 07:44:17 PM »
Cyber Sleuth is supposed to be pretty decent, a "traditional RPG" with Digimon.

It's a bit Persona-esque, but without the social links/dating sim aspect.
dog

« Reply #18589 on: October 24, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »
Cyber Sleuth is supposed to be pretty decent, a "traditional RPG" with Digimon. I own it, havent played it yet. The "Next Order" game plays completly different.

I know absolutely nothing about Digimon but enjoyed Cyber Sleuth. Great turn-based JRPG.
野球

Para-Medic

« Reply #18590 on: October 24, 2017, 11:23:59 PM »

I know absolutely nothing about Digimon but enjoyed Cyber Sleuth. Great turn-based JRPG.

This gives me hope. I was a Pokemon kid growing up, Digimon always seemed like a cheap knockoff tbh so I never bothered. I do love a good JRPG though, so I'll have to give these a try.
=====

Fellow Cyberpunk fans should take a peek at Observer.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/observer/cid=UP1032-CUSA07510_00-OBSERVER00000000

On sale on PSN atm, also available on Steam and XBL I think.

edit: for typo

« Reply #18591 on: October 24, 2017, 11:42:44 PM »

This gives me hope. I was a Pokemon kid growing up, Digimon always seemed like a cheap knockoff tbh so I never bothered. I do love a good JRPG though, so I'll have to give these a try.
=====

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/observer/cid=UP1032-CUSA07510_00-OBSERVER00000000

I also know jack shit about Pokémon (was a senior in high school when it came out, and had no interest in anything Nintendo related) Cyber Slueth did a good job scratching my turn based JRPG itch.
野球

Kalnos

« Reply #18592 on: October 24, 2017, 11:54:08 PM »

Not worth it to start a thread just to endlessly quote myself.

I play off and on, waiting for the patch now.  4k trash but I'm down for a thread if you ever start one.

Syph

« Reply #18593 on: October 25, 2017, 12:07:39 AM »
GAF member left clues as his last post before leaving (assuming he's not trolling, but I doubt he is):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252807016&postcount=1

-A sequel to a 3DS game is coming to Switch. Remember what was said about new character inclusion for Smash.
-Netflix (but not Hulu) is coming Q1. Announcement will be tied with a Netflix-produced show.
-Themes will arrive with a Dec. 25 update. Free if you own the game or amiibo.
-Metroid Prime 4 will have a subtitle that people know, Q4 at the earliest. First footage in January Direct.
-Little Mac was almost in ARMS. There's a reason he's not.
-A new spinoff is coming exclusively to the eShop using assets from a game already released
XO

FStop7

« Reply #18594 on: October 25, 2017, 03:00:56 AM »
I just noticed that Rutger Hauer and Kurtwood Smith both appeared in Rambo 3 for Genesis for apparently no reason whatsoever.  They weren’t in the film.  Dafuq?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18595 on: October 25, 2017, 05:38:00 AM »

Obaerver is an awesome game.
What

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #18596 on: October 25, 2017, 05:47:18 AM »
I don't know what to play. Everything feels boring.

Things i would like: RPGs like Dragon age:origins, CC strategy games, Spyro, a gran turismo with campaign and interesting walking simulators etc...

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18597 on: October 25, 2017, 05:48:41 AM »

Things i would like: RPGs like Dragon age:origins, CC strategy games, Spyro, a gran turismo with campaign and interesting walking simulators etc...

Witcher 3?
What

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #18598 on: October 25, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »

Witcher 3?

Already have it and played it. Though i think the combat was quite bad, almost as bad as Inquisition.

Eh, i dunno. I suppose i could try Dishonored 2 and Prey but they won't last long. I can't stand multiplayer games with lootboxes and that takes pretty much 90% of anything out there.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18599 on: October 25, 2017, 05:53:44 AM »

Witcher 3?

Already have it and played it. Though i think the combat was quite bad, almost as bad as Inquisition.

Lol, impossible really. Dai is utter shite.

But okay.. maybe try RE7? The best walking simulator.

Dishonored 2 was good, make sure to do your first playthrough as emily tho
What