Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3044316 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18660 on: October 29, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »
French dudes going for American simulacrum is often bad news.
ὕβρις

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #18661 on: October 29, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »
The teenage angst and drama shit and the overall hipster mannerisms put me off LiS too, but in the end it hooked me more than the main murder-mystery plot line. In this and many other aspects it really reminded me of Donny Darko, one of my favorite movies.

And I don't wanna sound corny or anything but LiS had more substance and (dare I say it) "soul" than Telltale's cheap cash-grabs.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18662 on: October 29, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
tales of the borderlands is fucking fantastic, and i say that as someone who's barely played any telltale games
pcp

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #18663 on: October 29, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
Yeah, Tales of the Borderlands was really good. They surprisingly nailed everything here. They brought over everything I liked from the Borderlands series (yeah even the humor), minus the gameplay of course but they still managed to combine it successfully with their walking simulator approach. From a narrative point of view, I think it was even better than the original series. And the soundtrack was so awesome:

I really caught some feels there :lawd

But there will never be a second season. Instead just boring Marvel or GoT shit :-\

paprikastaude

« Reply #18664 on: October 29, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »
The Walking Dead 1 is still legit though... I think that's also the only time a TT title still felt like an adventure game beneath the "cinema". I mean, it was heavily streamlined compared to old adventure titles, but it still felt like there was substance between the dialogue 'options'. Like when you repair the train, which wasn't exactly deep puzzle design, but still somewhat engaging on the gameplay side (compared to the nothingness of later TT iterations).

Pills Here

« Reply #18665 on: October 29, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »
MGSV is available on Xbox Gamepass.

Will the fact that I've never played an MGS game before diminish my enjoyment?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18666 on: October 29, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »
No, dont think so. MGSV has an easy enough time being shit even for Metal Gear vets
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #18667 on: October 29, 2017, 02:32:45 PM »
I never played a MGS before and loved it for the gameplay and 80s cartoon cold war vibes.

« Reply #18668 on: October 29, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
You might enjoy it more since you're not gonna be pissed at them dropping the ball with the plot and characters.

It will probably make absolutely no sense and spoil a number of other games, though. Either way I highly recommend playing (most of) the rest of the series.

« Reply #18669 on: October 29, 2017, 02:39:07 PM »
2 is the best though, even if people do get pissed at it.

But yeah, from 4 onwards the series was a mess. V has really good gameplay but ends up really repetitive and drags on forever.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18670 on: October 29, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
I know people really like the game for some reason, but to me Life is Strange is easily the worst offender of all in that regard. I could barely make it through like an hour of that Linkin Park hipster fanfiction. It could be a parody of shitty indie movies, if it wasn't totally serious and pretentious while going through every embarrassing cliche and trite dialogue possible.

You should keep playing it. The first chapter was still quite tame on the hipster/indie nonsense. The writing is not so bad, it's good. It manages to be such utter trash that I got laughing fits at some points.

One of those games I love to hate.

The main character being called Max Caulfield and a super subtle Catcher in the Rye poster in one of the student's room made me laugh as well.

Bebpo

« Reply #18671 on: October 29, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »
I know people really like the game for some reason, but to me Life is Strange is easily the worst offender of all in that regard. I could barely make it through like an hour of that Linkin Park hipster fanfiction. It could be a parody of shitty indie movies, if it wasn't totally serious and pretentious while going through every embarrassing cliche and trite dialogue possible.

You should keep playing it. The first chapter was still quite tame on the hipster/indie nonsense. The writing is not so bad, it's good. It manages to be such utter trash that I got laughing fits at some points.

One of those games I love to hate.

The main character being called Max Caulfield and a super subtle Catcher in the Rye poster in one of the student's room made me laugh as well.

I like/don’t like LiS. I thought the dialogue & VA was super good, art & music fantastic, and gameplay kinda fun. I liked Max and a couple of the supporting characters, but Chloe was pretty annoying until like ch.3 and some of the characters & plot writing didn’t click with me, like I didn’t like the ending much at all and was kinda let down in the end. But man, there were some really nice scenes in the game of just characters chilling and talking. I’m glad I played it but not sure if I’ll try the sequel.

« Reply #18672 on: October 29, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »
I overall liked the setting (I love Twin Peaks inspired shit), really liked the plot, and most of the characters, though the writing sometimes was ehhh, but I can let that slide. But I absolutely hated Chloe too, the piece of shit. Almost everything that goes wrong in the game is her fault, she keeps having terrible ideas throughout the game, pulling Max into her dumb shit and is somehow mad that I stopped her from stealing/shooting people when I could. All that while blaming everyone around her.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I mean, she blames her father who died on a accident for her shitty life, what the fuck?

This gets so bad that one of the final puzzles of the game is to talk her out of being a dumbass and jumping into shit without listening for a change.

Needless to say the last decision was pretty easy.
[close]

Also the fact that the game kept blaming me for choices I couldn't make, but when there were things I could avoid people go "it's ok, it's not your fault," etc.

I still liked it though it would be a lot better if Chloe and Kate swapped roles or something. Since the prequel is about her I'm just gonna skip that, even if people are saying she's not as bad there.

Para-Medic

« Reply #18673 on: October 29, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »
Can't we just pretend MGSV doesn't exist?

It does literally nothing for the series. Great (but repetitive) gameplay aside, that has been my biggest disappointment of the gen so far and I don't think it will ever be topped.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18674 on: October 29, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18675 on: October 29, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »
Can't we just pretend MGSV doesn't exist?

It does literally nothing for the series. Great (but repetitive) gameplay aside, that has been my biggest disappointment of the gen so far and I don't think it will ever be topped.

Sure, ditch 4 while we're at it too. 

MGS used to be my favorite series, then 4 & 5 pretty much killed all my interest. Peace Walker was fun but the story was pretty dumb too. Last really great one was 3 and goddamn that was a long time ago. Hope Death Stranding is more like MGS1-3 and less like 4/5 (although 5 has good gameplay and is a fun game, it's really just the story side that is incomplete and terrible).

« Reply #18676 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:53 PM »
I never even finished MGSV. Maybe got about halfway through and just said "fuck it."
野球

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18677 on: October 29, 2017, 08:38:23 PM »
I'm honestly okay with that if it's basically just MGSV but without a half assed last third/half. I just want solid gameplay mechanics/loops that work and are fun with a bunch of cool probably military science/fiction on top.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:48:07 PM by toku »

Bebpo

« Reply #18678 on: October 29, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »
Yeah, I think MGSV is incredibly fun to play. It's just story-empty and has an incomplete second half which if you are playing MGS for the story and this was supposed to be the main BIG BOSS story linking MGS3->MGS1...well, yeah it's disappointing as hell. Also lack of lots of good boss fights. MGS used to be king of boss fights back in the day. The End's mechanics in MGS3 were brilliant.

RyoonZ

« Reply #18679 on: October 29, 2017, 11:26:32 PM »
Anyone getting sleepy playing wordy games or RPG these days? Played Danganronpa V3 and Atelier Sophie and it doesn't matter what time I'm playing, I keep yawning but playing Rise of the Tomb Raider or Wolfenstein keeps me alert. Maybe I'm getting old (25 here)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18680 on: October 29, 2017, 11:46:38 PM »
25 isnt old and you probably just arent in the mood, I love slower games like RPG and VNs and I am 32. I also love playing action reflex games like bayonetta or soulsborne
fat

Corporal

« Reply #18681 on: October 30, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »
Demi is younger than me. :-\
What am I doing with my life. I could be running a gaming board right now. I could be raking in the big munnies. All successful like. Maybe even get the occasional dick pic for free. Truly living the life. :-\

I am currently fond of Puzzle and Dragon as my go-to sleepytime game. It's a fricken match-3 game. Fall asleep, and you lose nothing. There is no story. Only grinding. Kinda.
Due to the match-3 nature, it's nonetheless entertaining. Can be as brainless or brainy as you want.
F2P though.
!list

Freyj

« Reply #18682 on: October 30, 2017, 02:09:26 AM »
I never even finished MGSV. Maybe got about halfway through and just said "fuck it."

I mean this is kinda everyone considering how very unfinished it is.

bluemax

« Reply #18683 on: October 30, 2017, 03:57:42 AM »
Who cares about Kojima and his misogynistic crap sack games. He should get shit binned alongside David Cage in the department of people who are far too pretentious.

Yoko Taro is better at telling stories through games than either of them!
NO

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #18684 on: October 30, 2017, 06:18:13 AM »
I don't really get how anyone can be excited by anything Kojima is going to direct, now that he's without supervision and can (and will) indulge in the worst excesses his juvenile mind can think of.

But it's not that his new game is coming out any time soon (if ever). He's too busy sucking up to those Hollywood peeps he's allowed to mingle with now. I wonder what they make of this guy  :girlaff
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:21:01 AM by desert punk »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18685 on: October 30, 2017, 06:38:57 AM »
Kojima's actually making a new Metal Gear Solid, I know a guy who's best friends with him and he said it was true.

Bebpo

« Reply #18686 on: October 30, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
I don't really get how anyone can be excited by anything Kojima is going to direct, now that he's without supervision and can (and will) indulge in the worst excesses his juvenile mind can think of.

But it's not that his new game is coming out any time soon (if ever). He's too busy sucking up to those Hollywood peeps he's allowed to mingle with now. I wonder what they make of this guy  :girlaff

/shrug, I like to be optimistic that it's the supervision and publisher meddling that brought the bad stuff in his last few games and that without supervision we'll get something closer to MGS3 which is the best videogame of all time.

We'll see eventually.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #18687 on: October 30, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
Oh I'm not petty or anything and I'd gladly eat crow if he'd actually manage to create something on the level of MGS 1-3. But I don't think people should jump on a hype-train at this point, unless perhaps you're a fan of the open world gameplay approach Kojima employed since Peace Walker. I'm not, I want the tight gameplay and the silly but still entertaining narratives from the PS2 era back. But I doubt this is going to happen.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:20:21 PM by desert punk »

Bebpo

« Reply #18688 on: October 30, 2017, 02:08:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm not on the hype train at all for DS, just hoping it'll be good. :yeshrug

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18689 on: October 30, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
I'm still hoping Junji Ito is helping on the monster designs. There were some rumors of him being involved with Silent Hills and the tentacle covered tank from the trailer reminded me of GYO. 

Most likely not.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #18690 on: October 30, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »

I think it'll be fun to see just what sort of insanity he comes up with unshackled and free of the burden of a series that's dragged on for several console generations. Not something I'd pay full price for but I'm up for the fuckery.
Hi

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18691 on: October 30, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
Nintendo had a good run I guess

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #18692 on: October 30, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »
Got a new white xbox controller in the mail today cuz the rb died on me on the old black one (and my super glue skills could only limp it along for so long) things so nice, got damn best gaming controller there is

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #18693 on: October 30, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »
I actually sorta liked MGSV, certainly not from a story mode (I ignored it completely)
From a gameplay point of view, I really enjoyed plotting an infiltration plan and breaking in and the combat was much, much better.
Though chapter 2 was a goddmaned mess that I didn't even attempt when they were like "do the same mission just harder now LOLZ." that was bullshit.
que

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18694 on: October 30, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
Got all the base Gwent cards. :rejoice Now to do the expansions... sometime later. I gotta do the other quests in the base game first to level up to 35 and then I can stop worrying so much since my Death March! build will be complete. :lol

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #18695 on: October 31, 2017, 12:41:31 AM »
I actually sorta liked MGSV, certainly not from a story mode (I ignored it completely)
From a gameplay point of view, I really enjoyed plotting an infiltration plan and breaking in and the combat was much, much better.
Though chapter 2 was a goddmaned mess that I didn't even attempt when they were like "do the same mission just harder now LOLZ." that was bullshit.

That Subsistence (repeat) stage where you need to forage all your items and destroy the radars in that little village was amazing though.  I think it was C2W? I sometimes think about how good MGSV would be as an experience if it wasn't a total clusterfuck of content, even the first half was pretty spotty. I dislike a lot of the game, but the core was so damn good.

Kojima, or at least, people he's working with clearly have a great understanding of how to create great core mechanics with MGS, but i haven't really been down with MGS since III. Can only imagine the sort of bullshit he's going to produce under Sony.

edit: speaking of games that release half-finished, at least Blizzard tend to fix their shit eventually. Loved this D2 post-mortem from GDC.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:20:20 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

bluemax

« Reply #18696 on: October 31, 2017, 03:49:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm not on the hype train at all for DS, just hoping it'll be good. :yeshrug

You can probably bet on the story being some hackneyed philosophical shit with the main character being a smug womanizer who takes every opportunity to make lewd comments about any woman he interacts with.

And also lots of QTEs and cutscenes.
NO

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18697 on: October 31, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »
Bought one of those Steam Link things and it seems to work well.

For a dude with little money, I have a pretty beast poor person set up here I think.

Shrew

« Reply #18698 on: October 31, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18699 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:18 PM »
I know about miramisu. She definitely pushes up for effect

But bbw tits are still nice to admire
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18700 on: October 31, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »
 :mynicca

Shrew

« Reply #18701 on: November 01, 2017, 02:08:44 AM »
I know about miramisu. She definitely pushes up for effect

But bbw tits are still nice to admire

"She definitely pushes up for effect"

This fukkin guy

:journo

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18702 on: November 01, 2017, 06:54:01 AM »
Finished Ruiner yesterday. Shit was a blast. Really well curated soundtrack, fun and pretty well paced combat, dope visuals and minimal story - what's not to like? Some of the bosses towards the end were rough, and the game desperately needs a new game+ option, but I enjoyed it thoroughly otherwise

Corporal

« Reply #18703 on: November 01, 2017, 07:17:25 AM »
I like tits. Tits are nice.

...what were we talking about again?

Day 11 in Stardew Valley. Shit's still fucked. I'm still desperately poor. Can't wait until I unlock the warp points/etc. So much tedious running. Where's that last fucking villager hiding away at, god dammit. :maf

Will have to spend the rest of my virtual life hacking at trees and smashing stones to afford even the lowest farm upgrades.... Or at least it feels like that. :-\

Two complaints though, the adaptation to console control schemes is kinda... not so great. Why is there no touchscreen support, e.g. for inventory management - in general the control scheme has been barely adapted. And saving takes ages. Yikes.
!list

paprikastaude

« Reply #18704 on: November 01, 2017, 08:28:57 AM »

Since I didn't care for the story/lore, another advantage was that I could end my playthrough after the first credits scene without regrets.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #18705 on: November 01, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »
Here's a twitter thread about how Osama Bin Laden was a weeb
https://twitter.com/higgyC/status/925793639422406656

He didn't get to see ASW finally doing Dragon Ball justice  :tocry

thisismyusername

« Reply #18706 on: November 01, 2017, 07:09:35 PM »
Here's a twitter thread about how Osama Bin Laden was a weeb
https://twitter.com/higgyC/status/925793639422406656

He didn't get to see ASW finally doing Dragon Ball justice  :tocry

:confused

What? Where are these Bin Laden files coming from?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18707 on: November 01, 2017, 07:12:38 PM »
:confused

What? Where are these Bin Laden files coming from?
https://www.pcgamesn.com/osama-bin-laden-anime-gamer
Today, the CIA publically released nearly a half-million files recovered from Bin Laden’s hard drive. That includes Al-Qaeda correspondence, video files, propaganda, draft materials, and Bin Laden’s personal journal. It also includes loads of copyrighted materials, including films ranging from Antz to Resident Evil, loads of videogames, and a substantial collection of anime. Even Final Fantasy VII makes an appearence, with evidence of sequel movie Advent Children having been watched.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #18708 on: November 01, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18709 on: November 01, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »
I bet those tittie games was him nostalgia diving. At least that's how I explain to myself why he wouldn't just look at porn.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18710 on: November 01, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »
Osama Bin Laden down in hell somewhere thinking "Thank ALLAH they killed me before all this came out."
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #18711 on: November 01, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18712 on: November 01, 2017, 07:25:55 PM »
one of the biggest figures in modern history watched advent children. i'm inconsolable right now
pcp

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #18713 on: November 01, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »
I hope homeland security loaded up osama's R4 cart and offered their condolences to all his AC village friends after his passing

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18714 on: November 01, 2017, 07:38:51 PM »
Can't wait for the "Osama Bin Laden was a member of Gamergate" and "How nerd culture may turn your kids into terrorists" headlines.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18715 on: November 01, 2017, 09:08:22 PM »

(it's not really a vs thing more about how they both aim for some similar things) spoilers obviously
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:43:36 PM by toku »

eleuin

• perennial loser

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18718 on: November 02, 2017, 02:26:11 AM »
The Dark Souls of hot takes

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18719 on: November 02, 2017, 03:49:57 AM »
Can't wait for the "Osama Bin Laden was a member of Gamergate" and "How nerd culture may turn your kids into terrorists" headlines.
Screw that, we just connected RAMPANT INTERNET PIRACY TO 9/11, forget "you wouldn't steal a car" as that argument wasn't working anyway.