Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3044880 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18720 on: November 02, 2017, 03:53:07 AM »
I don't care if it's still classified, someone at the CIA who can translate it needs to start a blog of bin Laden's film and game reviews if they exist.

"also included in his journal was a rant about how modern reviewers commonly used 7 as an average, a very American blunder, when 5 should be average and that his reviews like UK published Edge Magazine used 5 as an average score"

sinxtanx

« Reply #18721 on: November 02, 2017, 06:54:27 AM »
this all lets me put a whole new spin on games bombing

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18722 on: November 02, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »
Can't wait for the "Osama Bin Laden was a member of Gamergate" and "How nerd culture may turn your kids into terrorists" headlines.
Screw that, we just connected RAMPANT INTERNET PIRACY TO 9/11, forget "you wouldn't steal a car" as that argument wasn't working anyway.

9/11 was actually about ethics in games journalism.
©@©™

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #18723 on: November 02, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/11/1/16591486/monster-hunter-world-preview-hands-on-interview

:trigger :trigger :trigger

I dont care what the fuck they call it. I've been grinding monster hunter for the last 12 years of my life, if it takes dicks blowing smoke up peoples ass for it to really take off, im all for it.

H.I.V.E.

« Reply #18724 on: November 02, 2017, 01:30:28 PM »
I don't care if it's still classified, someone at the CIA who can translate it needs to start a blog of bin Laden's film and game reviews if they exist.

"also included in his journal was a rant about how modern reviewers commonly used 7 as an average, a very American blunder, when 5 should be average and that his reviews like UK published Edge Magazine used 5 as an average score"

Worst review system is the 100 scale. You never need more than 4 for anything. Also hate the ones who now refuse to put a score, too long didn't read.

« Reply #18725 on: November 02, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »
100 and 10 scales are basically interchangeable because no outlet ever dips below 6/7 for trash games.  :doge

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18726 on: November 02, 2017, 03:18:11 PM »
trusting anyone outside the bore for game reviews <<<<<
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18727 on: November 02, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
except Oscar and my waifu Jeremy Parish ofc
pcp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18728 on: November 03, 2017, 05:50:04 AM »
Microsoft Nederlands decided to include a Nespresso machine in their press kits for the XBoxX (images in the spoiler tag below).
Not at all desesperate.  :doge
At the risk of sounding like Good Game Gato, why is this shit (which is very common and not just in games) even allowed ?

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #18729 on: November 03, 2017, 06:18:31 AM »
Who should stop it? Who cares what they send to their outsourced PR firms?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18730 on: November 03, 2017, 06:37:39 AM »
Who should stop it? Who cares what they send to their outsourced PR firms?

:yeshrug
I know it's much easier said than done and I know that drawing a clear & definitive line in the sand is difficult as well (Coffee machine is obviously irrelevant, but what about the headphones ? etc...).

Still it's pretty ridiculous.
ὕβρις

H.I.V.E.

« Reply #18731 on: November 03, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »
Microsoft Nederlands decided to include a Nespresso machine in their press kits for the XBoxX (images in the spoiler tag below).
Not at all desesperate.  :doge
At the risk of sounding like Good Game Gato, why is this shit (which is very common and not just in games) even allowed ?

[close]

Because entertainment news isn't journalism. Actually journalism isn't even journalism anymore. I don't know. Assume everyone get bribes is my motto.

Corporal

« Reply #18732 on: November 03, 2017, 07:47:04 AM »
Fight the lying press!

I have to admit, my personal weighing of positive parts of almost any content on the net has completely plummeted. I practically assume anything positive anyone could ever say about anything is regurgitating phrases that were carefully fed to them by PR personnel. Nobody would pay for negatives - well, except for the competition, but that's proper :hans1 territory. That's why I go for the complaints section and try to use that to decide whether I can stomach using the product in question.

That goes for anything from amazon reviews to book or movie discussion.

Now, am I being optimistic for assuming that an item is good enough by default that only looking at the faults will be enough to judge how desirable it is, or a pessimist for voluntarily wading through all the filth, suspecting that there is no perfect product... Or a tin foil hatter that expects a conspiracy behind anything and everything.

Shower thoughts.
!list

OathToOrder

« Reply #18733 on: November 03, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
Yeah, I don't consider gaming "journalists" to be anything more than PR mouthpieces for publishers. Any game that's on PC, I'll pirate first to see how it is and buy it if I like it. As for console games, I'll buy games that I know will interest me and be of good-to-great quality (Nintendo games) or wait for sale.

Publishers and journalists should stay separate but instead, they are in a symbiotic relationship.

benjipwns

« Reply #18734 on: November 03, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
Some sites put up stupid little toady videos all proud of their PR materials they got. That's helpful at culling them out.

And others, like Giant Bomb (not saying they're the only ones, just Jeff and Ryan were always openly negative about the stuff, Dan seems to enjoy it all) will do stuff like complain about EA sending them shitty pizza or make fun of the dumb PR stuff they get. I think Jeff posted a thing a long time ago, when they were in that downstairs office, where they got contacted by the PR company working for somebody which said if they didn't discontinue such videos they would only be receiving the game and not the extra materials and he was like "okay, yeah, that'll work."

paprikastaude

« Reply #18735 on: November 03, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
Imagine if game reviews were aggregated like rottentomatoes. Every title with a decent (marketing) budget would have scores of at least 90%. Either way, being cautious of anything below 70 meta is a good enough general rule for me when it comes to things I can get out of games 'journalism'.
What needs to be ignored entirely is portals that report on only one console manufacturer instead of multiplat. There's an even higher chance that you'd get nothing but worthless fanboy gushing from them.

benjipwns

« Reply #18736 on: November 03, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »
Open Critic has that: http://opencritic.com/game/2845/south-park-the-fractured-but-whole
84% of critics recommend this game
 101 critic reviews

86% of contributors recommend this game
 23 contributor reviews

paprikastaude

« Reply #18737 on: November 03, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
There is only two 5/10 scores and one 6/10 among these 101 reviews (everything else 7+), yet it says only 83% recommended it  ???

benjipwns

« Reply #18738 on: November 03, 2017, 09:56:30 AM »
For critics, our system puts each review into one of three buckets: no verdict, recommended, or not recommended.

Publications that don't consistently contain a clearly spelled out verdict are put into the "no verdict" bucket. Examples are TotalBiscuit, The AV Club, Game Zone, and Rock Paper Shotgun.

Reviews are considered "recommended" if they generally recommend the game to general gamers without serious conditions. If the review contains a clear numeric verdict, we consider the publication to have recommended the game if they award the equivalent of an 80 or higher. Reviews that score an equivalent of 79 or lower are put into the "not recommended" bucket. However, some publications make clear purchase recommendations without assigning a number. We also consider the following publications' reviews:

Eurogamer - Reviews tagged as "essential" or "recommended" are put in the "recommended" bucket. Reviews with no verdict or tagged as "avoid" are put in the "not recommended" bucket.

Kotaku - Kotaku reviews ask the question "Should you buy this game?" Reviews that answer "yes" are put in the "recommended" bucket. Reviews that answer "no" or "not yet" are put in the "not recommended" bucket.

AngryCentaurGaming - ACG uses a "Buy, Wait For Sale, Rent, Never Touch" rating scale. Games marked as "Buy" are put in the "recommended" bucket, otherwise they are put in the "not recommended" bucket.

TechnoBuffalo - TechnoBuffalo uses a "Buy, Wait, Don't Buy" rating scale. Games marked as "Buy" are put in the "recommended" bucket, otherwise they are put in the "not recommended" bucket.
To calculate the percent recommended, divide the number of recommended reviews by the number of both recommended and not recommended reviews.

Contributors are different. Contributors are asked directly if they would recommend the game to general gamers. The percent recommended is populated solely by those results.

benjipwns

« Reply #18739 on: November 03, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
Though this is still my favorite part:
We handle letter grading on a case-by-case basis. Publications that use letter grading can opt-out from having their grade converted to a score. If they do not opt out, we convert letter grades to numeric scores on the following scale:

100: A/A+
91: A-
83: B+
75: B
67: B-
58: C+
50: C
42: C-
33: D+
25: D
16: D-
0: F

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18740 on: November 03, 2017, 01:33:11 PM »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18741 on: November 03, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
Care about review scores and obscure metacritic "averages", brehs.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18742 on: November 03, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »
Care about review scores and obscure metacritic "averages", brehs.

How else could I know which titles by Naughty Gods are worthy of being the Kittyzen Cane of video games ?
:confused
ὕβρις

paprikastaude

« Reply #18743 on: November 04, 2017, 07:07:44 AM »
At least I stand by using gamerankings. Compared to complete goons on certain other sites who only start to question reviewers and find "their own opinion" important when one of their next hyped games gets middling scores (while immediately coming back on the meta-train when their other next hyped game gets the 9s, but then never question whether it might be overhyped/shilled).  :trumps

benjipwns

« Reply #18744 on: November 04, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
there's only one internet source i still trust for game reviews: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/category/reviews/

benjipwns

« Reply #18745 on: November 04, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18747 on: November 04, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »
here's a solution that i could explain in two short sentences but instead i'll show you an eight minute tutorial with your answer appearing at around 6:17
pcp

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18748 on: November 04, 2017, 05:22:40 PM »
Can someone explain to me how it makes sense that Joel in the Last of Us needs upgrades to be a decent shot, when the 20 year time gap tells you he has been surviving in this shithole as a professional gunrunner?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18749 on: November 04, 2017, 08:32:15 PM »
it's a video game

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18750 on: November 04, 2017, 09:19:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/Cheesegod69/status/926847594596155392

90% of my subs are either British  or Canadian.  :usacry

The other 10% are Dunkey and iDubbbz  :american
[close]
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18751 on: November 04, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »
not following Jeremy Parish's Retronauts series :wag
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #18752 on: November 05, 2017, 12:56:44 AM »
So I was flipping through random freebies on PS+ Jpn and one is a recent live playstation orchestra concert featuring like 59 songs from Arc the Lad/Wild Arms/Loco Roco/Parappa/SoTC/TLG/Gravity Daze. It's kinda crazy. For the Parappa songs they have a guy dressed as Parappa and then all these Japanese people doing the raps in not-so-great English. It's like the weird shit I've seen in a long time. I tried to find it on youtube to post here but nothing is coming up? :( Maybe you guys can find it.

This is the app that has it:
Premium Musical Notes “JAPAN Studio音楽祭” PlayStation®Plus Edition

*edit* found it:

Loco Rocco at 42 mins, Parappa songs start at 45 mins. Youtube link has the full set list with links.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18753 on: November 05, 2017, 04:08:11 AM »
it's a video game

But fans of the game tell me it's realistic. It's feeding into my ludonarrative dissonance real hard. :(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18754 on: November 07, 2017, 02:24:33 AM »
Nintendo had a good run I guess

"How does controllers connect with tablet? It's wifi inside." Still, I can't wait for VASTKING's well-known and beloved mascot to dominate the scene! Charsiu-Bao Kart Racing gehms is going to kick all available Mario ass!

They say they're open to white-labeling their hardware. 2018 Arby's Roast Beef will be launching these as a companion for their stellar social networking efforts.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18755 on: November 07, 2017, 02:54:02 AM »

tuna_love

« Reply #18756 on: November 07, 2017, 03:36:15 AM »
if anyone is as cool as me and bought a xbox x for skate 3 hoping it would hold 60fps dont do it.

Raist

« Reply #18757 on: November 07, 2017, 05:27:45 AM »
if anyone is as cool as me and bought a xbox x

:crowdlaff :girlaff :umad

Corporal

« Reply #18758 on: November 07, 2017, 06:58:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/RunicGames/status/926518517397987333

:'(
Yeah, it's a goddamn shame, but their days were numbered when they were bought by the GaaS peeps.

Hope they can find new feeding grounds somewhere and possibly whip up a spiritual successor to the Torchlight games. Or maybe even outright buy the license back.

Because the Torchlights surely were profitable and sold a trillion copies each. :-\  :'(
!list

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18759 on: November 07, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
if anyone is as cool as me and bought a xbox x for skate 3 hoping it would hold 60fps dont do it.

Buy a console for Backwards Comp emulation boost, brehs. :girlaff

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18760 on: November 07, 2017, 09:56:18 AM »
Skate 3 is dogshit anyway
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18761 on: November 07, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #18762 on: November 08, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »
dota bots are braindead

okay to practice mechanics and test out builds but no way to "learn" the game

at this point even turbo mode is a better option, just suck it up and play everything but competitive

archie4208

« Reply #18763 on: November 08, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »
Here's a tip: don't play Dota.

Raist

« Reply #18764 on: November 09, 2017, 03:42:37 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18765 on: November 09, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #18766 on: November 09, 2017, 03:50:34 PM »
After nearly 125 hours, I finally catch up to Ciri/Isle of Mists begin. :lol :doge

BisMarckie

« Reply #18767 on: November 09, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
I watched the GiantBomb qucklook for the new Sonic game. Why does this game have such a creepy vibe? The character creator and importing characters from other people just seems so weird.

benjipwns

« Reply #18768 on: November 09, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
I watched the GiantBomb qucklook for the new Sonic game. Why does this game have such a creepy vibe? The character creator and importing characters from other people just seems so weird.
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=45210.msg2336987#msg2336987

chronovore

• relapsed dev
On Visceral, EA, and Respawn
« Reply #18769 on: November 09, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18770 on: November 09, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »
i have zero idea what that second tweet means
pcp

benjipwns

« Reply #18771 on: November 09, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
they canned Visceral so that absorbing Respawn wouldn't affect their financials

thisismyusername

« Reply #18772 on: November 09, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »

Basically, they hostile takeover'd (okay, not really a hostile takeover in the definition) Respawn because Nexon was looking to take them (and worked with them on Titanfall Assault). Vince Zampella (or Jason West, forgetting who is left when the other left for family reasons?) salary must be expensive for them to buy, so they canned Visceral to take them over without the dent in their earnings.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18773 on: November 09, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »
bright side is at least we're def. getting a titanfall 3

#staypositive
#blessup

[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #18774 on: November 09, 2017, 09:35:44 PM »
Won't EA just take Respawn off Titfanfall and have them make an EA Call of Duty instead? Like to me it kinda signals the death of Titanfall though maybe we'll still get a #3 first.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18775 on: November 09, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »
Won't EA just take Respawn off Titfanfall and have them make an EA Call of Duty instead? Like to me it kinda signals the death of Titanfall though maybe we'll still get a #3 first.

EA more likely to just really try to get them to make a TF that works for more ppl. They're not gonna create a new IP. Kinda late in the game but maybe they even push for them to adopt/retro-fit TF mechanics into frostbite? That could potentially give the franchise a graphical boost to help EA market it better idk.

(TF2 was still source iirc, just even more heavily modified)

or maybe give them a battlefield spin-off to do :doge
[close]

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #18776 on: November 09, 2017, 10:30:30 PM »
EA already has a Call of Duty competitor, it's the Battlefield franchise.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18777 on: November 10, 2017, 04:10:47 AM »
You mean Medal of Honour... Hahaha.

Bebpo

« Reply #18778 on: November 10, 2017, 04:15:43 AM »
I don't think there's any way to make TF sell the numbers EA would want it to. Mechs are not mainstream enough.

EA already has a Call of Duty competitor, it's the Battlefield franchise.

Oh yeah, so Respawn will make the every other year BF game  :-\

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #18779 on: November 10, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
I've never played a Hitman game in my life. But when I finish the latest Dishonored I may want to try out one of them.

I know the basic stuff but is it the same kind of immersive sim like Dishonored or Deus Ex, where you can interact with a lot of stuff, talk to people, read up on things etc. ? I really like this kind of narrative approach because it's subtle and leaves the decision of immerging oneself into the world to the player, instead of throwing info dumps via clunky dialogs onto her like full blown RPGs tend to do.

But for that to exist in the first place there has to be at least some emphasis on writing. Do the Hitman games go in that direction or is the writing just some flimsy thing to string a bunch of missions together?