Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3019390 times)

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18960 on: December 10, 2017, 12:23:17 AM »
Ive been so into pc gaming, and indie / b tier level pc games that I hardly noticed how the triple a single player market has changed/shrank. Its a shame those kind of games aren't getting made much anymore, I guess when even Kojima gets jettisoned over Metal Gears budget/timeframe the writing was on the wall. I don't think GaaS is a good thing, I think most people are just coping with it, because what else can they do?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18961 on: December 10, 2017, 02:52:20 AM »
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #18962 on: December 10, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
Ive been so into pc gaming, and indie / b tier level pc games that I hardly noticed how the triple a single player market has changed/shrank. Its a shame those kind of games aren't getting made much anymore, I guess when even Kojima gets jettisoned over Metal Gears budget/timeframe the writing was on the wall. I don't think GaaS is a good thing, I think most people are just coping with it, because what else can they do?

I don't really care whether we get less cinematic shooting shlock in the future. It's more important that mid-tier games between AAA and indie finally made a return, which was always the best place to be. This year it wasn't only a return in quantity, but also in success stories - i.e. Crash Bandicoot and Nier shattered sales expecations, Nioh and Persona 5 are the most successful games for each respective developer, etc.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18963 on: December 10, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »

i dont wanna buy this game i third time, but i absolutely will
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18964 on: December 10, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »
i was about to bitch about how i cant find anything to play but i remembered there's a bunch of old games i wanted to try

but im too lazy to dig shit up and try them :goty

edit:

also you know it's funny

i always thought SNES was superior to NES but I was watching a ton of Game Center CX episodes and it made me rethink that

i feel like NES is just plain better

it has that simplicity + depth going on, and it does it better than SNES

only thing i dont like about it is the garbage sound

I'd argue that the quantity of excellent NES action/sidescrollers is higher than on the SNES...
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18965 on: December 10, 2017, 01:43:47 PM »
someone bought me a sub to a twitch i was watching and i have no idea what this means. am i now obligated to do anything or pay something to someone?
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18966 on: December 10, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »
Does Majima Everywhere just...stop happening once you finish the story in Yakuza Kiwami? I have like 90% of substories done, full story done, 3 wheels fully leveled up, yet I'm still on D for Majima and he isn't showing up to fight me. FIGHT ME BITCH

it never ends. he's hiding under a traffic cone somewhere around the southern arcade.
pcp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #18967 on: December 11, 2017, 01:01:08 AM »
Been replaying skyrim....yes, again now that I can finally do it on a portable. But I find myself having a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with the quest indicators. I mean in such a huge world like Skyrim you certainly need some guidance. And with hundreds of NPCs it's good to have something to remind "Hey, it's THIS guy." But, at the same time, it's annoying as hell to have an arrow over everything you need to do. Like the game is being like "Aww, widdle baby Dovakin wanna move foward? No wowwies, just go here."

I know you can turn them off, but that's a bit bewildering when you're like "Wait....where do I need to go?" I wish they'd just gone with a general area kind of thing instead of being so damned explicit. There's like no middle ground. Either you're trying to find that one NPC or ruin that you need for hours or you have the game just basically take you there. It sucks.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18968 on: December 11, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
I had no idea this existed. Only 8 bucks

8 Bit Adventure Anthology, contains Shadowgate / Uninvited / Deja Vu

http://www.8bitaa.com/
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #18969 on: December 12, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/i/moments/933274924914917376

They planted a tree in my honor and gave me a rousing applause. A welcome often given by self-help seminars or new age religious cults. My face is flush. Was I drugged at some point?

bluemax

« Reply #18970 on: December 12, 2017, 11:08:12 PM »
Yoko Taro talking about Animal Crossing is the best.
NO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18971 on: December 13, 2017, 12:25:44 AM »
Yoko Taro talking about anything is the best.

dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18972 on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »
I threw my controller and broke it again

Fuck
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18973 on: December 13, 2017, 09:39:36 PM »
calm down chubs
pcp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #18974 on: December 13, 2017, 10:38:11 PM »
what were you playing?
que

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18975 on: December 13, 2017, 11:06:15 PM »
Probably Animal Crossing.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18976 on: December 13, 2017, 11:37:04 PM »
Well, I know it wasn't Xenoblade because we had a circle jerk for it and you weren't there.
©@©™

« Reply #18977 on: December 15, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/941381035002073089

Seems this is gonna be a new IP instead of a new Vampire game as I was hoping, but still good

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18978 on: December 16, 2017, 12:58:00 AM »
Another breakdown of everything that goes into rendering a single frame in a big budget video game. It's always interesting to see just how much work goes into our beloved pseudo-hobby.

http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2017/12/15/mgs-v-graphics-study/

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18979 on: December 16, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
DICE had a GDC presentation years ago that was written very similarity to that (i.e. straightforward english) regarding their entire engine pipeline, all the threads, etc. that are performed during the ideal timing of a single frame. I think that's when I realized I was officially out of the gaming industry on the technical side. (Not that I ever was in it in any capacity.) Even if I'd still rank my technical knowledge fairly high in this regard among our little slice of the gaming forum world, especially considering how GAF degraded increasingly.

Although I'm pretty sure I couldn't make any of those strange OpenGL demos I used to futz with like a decade and a half ago. I should re-install UE4 and try to recreate my masterpiece now that I have significantly better hardware, I bet I can totally create that box jumping "puzzle" to a button that spawns at least five times the number of random objects from the library before it crashes now. Also, probably throw a bunch of random built-in shader effects all over. And that's what sequels should do, take everything to a whole new level.

benjipwns

« Reply #18980 on: December 16, 2017, 07:50:48 AM »
Post reminded me of the classic Shadow of the Colossus break down where they show how they "faked" all that stuff on the PS2 despite not having the hardware support, specifically how they did a huge number of passes to fake the HDR effect:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/170524064/The-Making-of-Shadow-of-the-Colossus

I remember some other developers talking about how on the PS2 because of the bandwidth situation, you just plowed through with a bunch of these passes adding little additions. The Xbox's NVIDIA hardware on the contrary you could do multiple operations on a single pass. I think the example was like a car, where you wanted to texture it, add reflections and then show damage. On the PS2, you'd draw the car, then draw it again with the texture, then again with reflections, the once more with the damage. But this generally wasn't an issue because you had the fill bandwidth, especially between the VUs before you sent it out to the buffer. On the Xbox you'd do like some parts in that MGS V write-up, take the texture, reflections and damage map combine them and then draw them on the car.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18981 on: December 16, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
Yeah, Brett Douville (ex-Lucas Arts, ex-Bethesda programmer) touched on the PS2's fill rate on Dev Game Club during their run of Silent Hill 2. "Just redraw the screen a buncha times..." to do fog effects and such.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18982 on: December 17, 2017, 03:27:23 PM »
Tried to find the Super Mario Cereal today, no luck. None of the stores even had a label for where the boxes would have been
fat

bluemax

« Reply #18983 on: December 17, 2017, 06:16:14 PM »
DICE had a GDC presentation years ago that was written very similarity to that (i.e. straightforward english) regarding their entire engine pipeline, all the threads, etc. that are performed during the ideal timing of a single frame. I think that's when I realized I was officially out of the gaming industry on the technical side. (Not that I ever was in it in any capacity.) Even if I'd still rank my technical knowledge fairly high in this regard among our little slice of the gaming forum world, especially considering how GAF degraded increasingly.

Although I'm pretty sure I couldn't make any of those strange OpenGL demos I used to futz with like a decade and a half ago. I should re-install UE4 and try to recreate my masterpiece now that I have significantly better hardware, I bet I can totally create that box jumping "puzzle" to a button that spawns at least five times the number of random objects from the library before it crashes now. Also, probably throw a bunch of random built-in shader effects all over. And that's what sequels should do, take everything to a whole new level.

I have some stuff book marked at work that explain the process that goes into rendering a single frame in UE4, it's pretty in depth stuff.

I program games for a living and I couldn't tell you how all that stuff works off the top of my head. Shit is crazy these days.
NO

Corporal

« Reply #18984 on: December 17, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »
Iunno. Putting aside the " I know some of these words" aspect and the fact that I pretty much stopped having even the faintest notion of the maths and effort involved ever since we moved away from fixed function stuff, all of this seems so "held together with sticky tape".

I was happiest when graphics were about how to properly fuck with Int13h and thus disfigure the VESA standard modes (or console equivalents). Figuring out how to efficiently draw sprites, managing interrupts or memory fragmentation, conjuring up rudimentary cooperative schedulers in assembly, tweaking pallettes and switching them between each horizontal line draw call and such stuff is far more to my liking than "oh right, so we make a copy of this, scale it down to a quarter of its size so it doesn't kill performance too much and then fuck around with a very rough approximation of effect X then scale the result back up and smudge it back in so it looks kinda neat".

I mean, the same kind of genius is involved, so it should tickle my interest, but it just doesn't feel the same. When I rolled my sin/cos/etc LUTs back in the day and had to accept a certain amount of loss of precision I was already feeling annoyed. This stuff is like that, only on steroids. If the steroids had taken steroids in turn. #it'snotyouit'sme

Still damn interesting to read, though. Thanks for the links. It's crazy what Devs can (and have to) do nowadays.
!list

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18985 on: December 18, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #18986 on: December 18, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »
Today is the 30th anniversary of FF1 coming out in Japan.
NO

archie4208

« Reply #18987 on: December 19, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/12/19/catherine-full-body-details-third-catherine-adds-network-battles-new-features/

Catherine remaster for PS4 and Vita with yet another shoehorned new girl because Atlus just loves doing that.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18988 on: December 19, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/12/19/catherine-full-body-details-third-catherine-adds-network-battles-new-features/

Catherine remaster for PS4 and Vita with yet another shoehorned new girl because Atlus just loves doing that.

There's already lots of salt over there not being a Switch version.   :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I hope they at least announce an Xbone version when it gets localized.  A game like this should be on everything, anyway.  PC too.
[close]
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #18989 on: December 19, 2017, 07:52:44 AM »

I hope they at least announce an Xbone version when it gets localized.  A game like this should be on everything, anyway.  PC too.
[close]

Despite being so vocal about the oh so amazing libraries of their lone platform/cheerleading choice, Gaben bootlickers and Nintenyearolds sure spent a weirdly big amount of time with port begging.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #18990 on: December 19, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »
Vita means life  :preach

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18991 on: December 19, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »

No PC or X-box version? I guess I could understand (did the X-box version bomb?) but Atlus be dum.

Fuck yeah new Catherine :rejoice

It's not new? It's just a remaster. Unless they add online versus mode (edit: They are) to it, it's easy to skip and just Youtube the "new girl who dis" endings.

« Reply #18992 on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:08 PM »

It is kinda baffling they're releasing a game on the Vita in the year of out Lord 2017. Though they did release two ports on the 3DS a while ago so it shouldn't be that surprising

Either way I'm happy Catherine is getting some love cause this game is amazing

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18993 on: December 19, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
I'm surprised they're releasing a Vita version but not a Switch version, since the latter seems to have quickly taken the former's place as the go-to system for animu Japanese games.
dog

Corporal

« Reply #18994 on: December 19, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »
No switch version, no sale. :doge

(I mean, I don't have either of the two consoles for that remaster, and I sure as fuck won't change that over a single Atlus game regurgitation. But yeah, weird choice of platforms. Then again, Atlus. It's what they do. I've benefitted on 3DS, so whatevs.)

Confession time: Never played Catherine despite getting it on Plus for my PS3 some years back.

Hope fans are happy with the remaster. :-[
!list

kingv

« Reply #18995 on: December 20, 2017, 01:35:49 PM »
I like Catherine. Hopefully the new girl is futa. I feel that’s what the game needs.

I’d also like to play it on switch. But I actually prefer to play everything on switch, so there you go.

Bebpo

« Reply #18996 on: December 20, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
Cold Steel 4 got announced for Fall 2018 in Japan. Final game in the arc. Teaser site is already fully of spoilers. Falcom has to be one of the worst companies at not completely spoiling everything from their games lol.

archie4208

« Reply #18997 on: December 20, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »
I like Catherine. Hopefully the new girl is futa. I feel that’s what the game needs.

I’d also like to play it on switch. But I actually prefer to play everything on switch, so there you go.

Erica fills that hole.  :doge

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #18998 on: December 20, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »

:teehee
Hi

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18999 on: December 20, 2017, 06:39:54 PM »
I'm surprised they're releasing a Vita version but not a Switch version, since the latter seems to have quickly taken the former's place as the go-to system for animu Japanese games.

I'm guessing it's cross-play and save, and it's easier to just do a Sony remaster/port than trying to headbutt Sony to allow Microsoft or PC cross-play a la Rocket League?

:teehee

archie4208

« Reply #19000 on: December 22, 2017, 07:26:47 AM »

I bring good news!

paprikastaude

« Reply #19001 on: December 22, 2017, 11:49:45 AM »

archie4208

« Reply #19002 on: December 22, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »
At least post the good video.  :doge

paprikastaude

« Reply #19003 on: December 23, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »

pretty good looking despite the horrid thumbnail. made by platinum, music apparently by uematsu.

[close]

kingv

« Reply #19004 on: December 23, 2017, 11:51:03 AM »
Platinum, you say? I guess that means I’m in.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19005 on: December 23, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »
horrible thumbnail?

:doge

« Reply #19006 on: December 23, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »
Isn't Granblue gacha bullshit? Is it even worth getting into?

Game looks great though

« Reply #19007 on: December 23, 2017, 02:34:01 PM »
And I just found out the mobile game is Japan only. What are the chances this will come out anywhere else?

paprikastaude

« Reply #19008 on: December 23, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »
horrible thumbnail?

:doge

thumbnail: "Ok, more generic Vita/Nintenweeb stuff"
footage: "omg, why aren't modern Final Fantasy or Tales of games like this?"

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19009 on: December 23, 2017, 04:45:44 PM »
And I just found out the mobile game is Japan only. What are the chances this will come out anywhere else?

there's a English translation but no official release here for whatever reason. afaik it's fully playable, and there's a decent sized community here for it.
pcp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19010 on: December 23, 2017, 10:10:13 PM »

Corporal

« Reply #19011 on: December 24, 2017, 12:33:44 AM »
So, I'm pretty much through with Neurovoider. It's still fun and I'll certainly be keeping it installed (if only for the coop mode), but I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer, and what is now expected of me is to do the daily online runs or fiddle with the difficulty setting, and while that's tempting, it's not gonna grab my attention like before.

Plus, I just created a nemesis bot with a violet nuke and violet rocket swarm launcher, which will be annoying to the max to fight against. Given the stats on the nuke launcher especially, my next run will likely end with a nuke to the face from somewhere offscreen. Evading them is really quite hard given their huge splash radius and OHKO nature.

So, any suggestions on something similar, preferably for the switch? I heard good things about that Enter the Gungeon game, but it sounds like more of a bullet hell game with RPG elements and less like a roguelike with an exotic theme. Not my kinda thing. I derive no pleasure from constantly and narrowly weaving through countless waves of incoming fire.
!list

archie4208

« Reply #19012 on: December 24, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »

kingv

« Reply #19013 on: December 24, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
Any game with a dancing spin off is for weebs

archie4208

« Reply #19014 on: December 24, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »
A weeb franchise is for weebs?  Ya don't say.

tfw my waifu isn't in the game :fbm
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #19015 on: December 24, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »
Can't waittttt

Just need to figure out PS4 or Vita. PS4 version no doubt runs/looks better, but kinda feel like music games are better portable, since they're great for traveling.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19016 on: December 24, 2017, 10:33:56 PM »
i keep seeing people on twitch going for the world record on Renegade and it makes me feel like however depressed i get there are still depths i'd never sink to
pcp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19017 on: December 26, 2017, 12:37:31 AM »
A weeb franchise is for weebs?  Ya don't say.

tfw my waifu isn't in the game :fbm
[close]

Who, Mara? :phil
©@©™

Corporal

« Reply #19018 on: December 26, 2017, 02:05:24 AM »
So, the Uno port on Switch is kinda meh. Or maybe Uno on consoles just isn't quite as fun as playing it in real life. Dunno. It's my first non-physical Uno game.

Still, quality is kinda so-so. The game has crashed a bunch of times, and it doesn't appear to save local on-switch multiplayer matches, which in combination has caused considerable heartbreak.

The initial loading time is just long enough to be annoying (plus, it leads to a "please press a button kthx" screen, after which there is more loading, grrrr). Oh, and the Ubi logo animation on startup is choppy. Speaking of which, each time the game is started, the first thing it does even before loading is make the switch forget about all active controllers and display the "L&R button press" OS screen for a single controller. So, no convenient "launch-and go get some snacks to avoid loading screens" title, that. Besides, it doesn't even mean the rest of the game is loading screen free, before and after matches you will be twiddling your thumbs as well.

Also, the persistent house rules pop ups at the beginning of a match are freaking annoying. And whose bright idea was it to put a custom theme card explanation popup behind pushing up on the analogue stick. Dismiss it by pressing down. Weeeeird. Especially since there's an overlay that will explain the card function for these special special cards when you highlight them.

Ah well, at least the rest of the offering is nice. A small, but decent collection of optional house rules (although "standard" rules cannot be disabled or altered), a selection of online, on-switch and wireless local multiplayer modes on top of a vs bot mode in two flavours (team/solo) - and to my surprise and appreciation the menu and much if not all of the game is touch capable. Which is a nice touch. SCNR. There's also a tiny selection of Ubi franchise skinned decks that come with their own special cards (which can be disabled one-by-one on a per match basis, how thoughtful). They also have their own BGM and NPC avatars.

Iunno. For that price (on sale), it's just OK. It's not bad, and the presentation is sufficiently polished, but there's just this vague notion of slight inadequacy that permeates the game. Probably unfair towards the Devs that toiled to get the game to this state, but what can you do.
!list

benjipwns

« Reply #19019 on: December 26, 2017, 03:53:18 AM »
uno for the game boy color was pretty okay since they couldn't add all the crazy crap to it, just ruthless 8-bit AI's and it let you go one-on-one which is ultimate uno

i tried playing uno and friends or whatever's on xbox live now one time and it was like i was setting up a kerbal launch to get into a game, also like 80% of the game was locked behind some ingame currency