Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3051467 times)

zomgee

• We've *all*
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #19020 on: December 26, 2017, 07:07:12 AM »
If you didn't get to experience Uno on Xbox Live then yeah, any Uno experience would be pretty disappointing.
rub

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19021 on: December 26, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
If you didn't get to experience Uno on Xbox Live then yeah, any Uno experience would be pretty disappointing.
Uno on XBL was really surprising. Some really good design decisions, like the ever-decreasing auto-play timer when a player had dropped the connection or was away. The game appeared to be some form of chatroulette for many players, just hanging out and chatting. The XBL Avatar animations were kind of choice as well: neat to see reactions from the other players, even if they were canned.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19022 on: December 26, 2017, 09:29:19 AM »
The Xbox Camera was built for Uno. So many flopping dicks at once
fat

Corporal

« Reply #19023 on: December 26, 2017, 11:29:57 AM »
Come to think of it... It's kinda crazy that there's no Uno DLC fest (on the switch at least).

They could sell BGM, SFX, voice packs, deck skins, arena skins, themed opponent AI (both in regard to behaviour and SFX/avatar/audio samples), heck, they could even offer different house rules. Or emoticons you could spam during matches (starfish, eggplant, hollow fist, etc). Seasonal DLC. Pets (because pets rock). Foil versions of cards.

Perfect game for loot boxes too. 0.001% drop chance for the rare golden Uno Premium card cover. Consumable, of course. Remains active for 25 matches. Don't miss out on the limited time deck protectors that offer 5% bonus XP! Every five bucks in purchases nets you one Christmas themed avatar picture, for free!

What a wasted opportunity. I mean, they already have some sort of avatar level up thing going on that seems to be online only. But no random online hookups, I think? I guess you can only battle people from your friend list. So it's kinda useless. That's the difference between some noname Ubi devs and a quality software house with a rich history like Bungie.

!list

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19024 on: December 26, 2017, 02:10:04 PM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #19025 on: December 27, 2017, 02:17:32 AM »
I got a 2DS for Xmas with Mario Kart 7 preinstalled along with a physical copy of Zelda A Link Between Worlds and thus am now so late that the party is basically over! I'm keen to pick up Project Mirai, Hyrule Warriors, and Samus Returns doing a quick thunk. What else would you fine folks say is worthy of tracking down on this basically ded machine?
Hi

archnemesis

« Reply #19026 on: December 27, 2017, 03:34:13 AM »
I got a 2DS for Xmas with Mario Kart 7 preinstalled along with a physical copy of Zelda A Link Between Worlds and thus am now so late that the party is basically over! I'm keen to pick up Project Mirai, Hyrule Warriors, and Samus Returns doing a quick thunk. What else would you fine folks say is worthy of tracking down on this basically ded machine?
The Fire Emblem games are all really good. I also recommend the enhanced version of Radiant Historia.

Corporal

« Reply #19027 on: December 27, 2017, 04:30:05 AM »
My condolences for trying to play Hyrule warriors on a non-new3DS model. I commend your bravery.

Seariously though, expect some major slowdown. Still playable I think(?), but do not go in expecting anything amazing. It's already pushing the new3DS to its limits.

That said, as someone who just adores the Mana artstyle, keep an eye out for Ever Oasis. If you get it for a cheap price it should be a good romp. Gets a bit long in the tooth in late game since the core gameplay loop is a bit limited, but it's cute as fuck and a great pick up and play for ten minutes game.

Even without the Miiverse support for easier sharing, Mario Maker might be your thing. It's fun building your own level and explore the creations of others.

Monster Hunter 4U. Obviously depends on your willingness to brave the gameplay mechanics, but if you get hooked, you will spend hundreds of hours in this game

Steamworld games. Dig and that other one. On the eshop.
Same as Fullblox, Gunman Clive, Shovel knight (if you haven't played it somewhere else yet), olliolli, and the Boxboy series.

Animal crossing (any version, the old non-Amiibo version has a free patch on the eshop that makes it the same as the repackaged Amiibo version). Of course, once again it depends on your gaming tastes.

Fantasy Life is a cute hack and slash and bow and arrow and fireball and etc game with moderate multiplayer support. Plenty of fun, even though it can get a little grindy if you're a completionist.

Smashbros and/or SF4 if fightan gaems are your thing.

Rune Factory 4 for the uguu harvest moon experience.

Plus a whole shitload of other games I can't remember now.
!list

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19028 on: December 27, 2017, 06:16:34 AM »

archie4208

« Reply #19029 on: December 27, 2017, 06:34:14 AM »
I bought the Xcom 2 expansion and just realized I've been playing for 2 hours without enabling it.   :duh

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19030 on: December 27, 2017, 05:48:14 PM »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #19031 on: December 27, 2017, 07:10:08 PM »

Pokemon and the Ace Attorneys.

Maybe the SMT series if you're into those. Pref. hack the system for free DLC. :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19032 on: December 27, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
Metroid: Samus Returns
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19033 on: December 28, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
When game settings are on easy:
https://imgur.com/gallery/bxD9J

Relevant follow-up:
https://i.imgur.com/Dg6r0Ua.mp4

thisismyusername

« Reply #19034 on: December 30, 2017, 10:45:03 PM »
You're missing the best part of that: "Who are you?"
"I'm the cook." :lol :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19035 on: December 30, 2017, 10:46:37 PM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #19036 on: December 31, 2017, 08:26:37 AM »
Dumb scene from a mediocre game. Funnily enough, they adressed some of my main complaints of TEW (more exploration and coherence), but did so in the worst way possible. And most decent moments are ruined by the never ending stupid mono/dialogue.

Bebpo

« Reply #19037 on: December 31, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
Was reading some of these top 20/50 goty lists to find hidden gem stuff I missed this year and I see that 3ds Metroid 2 remake keeps popping up. I've played the original Metroid 2 but none of the remakes and man I haven't played a Metroid game since like Fusion? If I wanted to play a metroid game again one of these days, is the 3ds Samus Returns game better than the AM2R game?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19038 on: December 31, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »
haven't played either metroid 2 remake, but you should absolutely put zero mission on your list. phenominal game that also doubles as a love letter to all the sequence breakers and speedrunners that kept metroid alive in the late 90s.     
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #19039 on: December 31, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
haven't played either metroid 2 remake, but you should absolutely put zero mission on your list. phenominal game that also doubles as a love letter to all the sequence breakers and speedrunners that kept metroid alive in the late 90s.   

Yeah, played that one. Wasn't sure what was the last one, but last one I played was on GBA. Didn't play the Team Ninja one or either Metroid 2 remake.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #19040 on: January 01, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
Samus Returns is absolutely fantastic.
nat

Corporal

« Reply #19041 on: January 02, 2018, 03:30:51 AM »
I'm not sure about the QTE counter move though. Looks like that would get really annoying.

I know I should have picked up Samus Returns, but I'm just not feeling the 2.5D presentation.
!list

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #19043 on: January 02, 2018, 09:57:01 AM »
 :ohhh

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #19044 on: January 02, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »
I know this is unpopular, but really I just want HD remakes of my favorite PS2 and PS3 games so I can just toss those systems out. Doing pretty good so far, truth be told.
que

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #19045 on: January 02, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »
I know this is unpopular, but really I just want HD remakes of my favorite PS2 and PS3 games so I can just toss those systems out. Doing pretty good so far, truth be told.
I want PS2 emulators to catch up with Dolphin's quality. :'(

PS3 emu RPCS3 might get there sooner than PCSX2, which is nuts.

paprikastaude

« Reply #19046 on: January 02, 2018, 05:52:52 PM »
ugh, my DS3 is going crazy and activating random buttons (it's going particulary bonkers when connected with USB). I remembered that DS4 can work on PS3 but that's missing features. Guess I'll have to buy a new controller for a handful of new PS3 titles I've got :-\ Though I might as well finally download Suikoden II while I'm on that whole issue.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19047 on: January 03, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19048 on: January 03, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
ugh, my DS3 is going crazy and activating random buttons (it's going particulary bonkers when connected with USB). I remembered that DS4 can work on PS3 but that's missing features. Guess I'll have to buy a new controller for a handful of new PS3 titles I've got :-\ Though I might as well finally download Suikoden II while I'm on that whole issue.

A week or two ago, I decided to play some stuff on PS3 and plugged in a Dual Shock 4.  Heard a 'beep' from the PS4 but thought nothing of it.  After I finished playing, I noticed the PS4 was on and switch the input over to it.  I had been controlling both the PS3 and the PS4 at the same time and it seems that while playing on PS3, the PS4 inputs went to my friends list and sent numerous gibberish messages to someone who was online.  :lol
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #19049 on: January 03, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
So we getting brand new intel CPUs for free or what?

Raist

« Reply #19050 on: January 04, 2018, 06:04:44 AM »

This is really obvious but, have you tried resetting it?

paprikastaude

« Reply #19051 on: January 04, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »

:neogaf

spoiler (click to show/hide)
oh god
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19052 on: January 04, 2018, 09:35:18 AM »
So we getting brand new intel CPUs for free or what?
:ahnuld2

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19053 on: January 04, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19054 on: January 04, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »
More like Spies Have Captured Your Intel, amirite?
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19055 on: January 04, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
More like Spies Have Captured Your Intel, amirite?
Joke's on them, my password is FcukRussia123Hillary2020. once they read this they instantly die of rage

kingv

« Reply #19056 on: January 04, 2018, 04:01:45 PM »
Damn that’s really great about AMD.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19057 on: January 04, 2018, 05:37:50 PM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #19058 on: January 04, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
man, just checking Michel Ancel's Instagram and it is cruel. Lots of artwork for BG&E2 obviously, as if it's ever going to come out. But now his latest upload is from WiLD, just when I tried to give up on believing in its existence. Then there's some post in which he suggests to make Rayman 4 after these two. Why are you doing this to the people, Michel?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:20:54 PM by Spieler1 »

Raist

« Reply #19059 on: January 04, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »

:neogaf

spoiler (click to show/hide)
oh god
[close]

:umad

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19060 on: January 05, 2018, 09:43:54 AM »

Sell me your PS2 stuff and I'll do half the work for you
fat

« Reply #19061 on: January 05, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »

I love George's mad fan rants about MGS 4 and V

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19062 on: January 06, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #19063 on: January 06, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »
I use adblock  :trumps

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19064 on: January 06, 2018, 06:08:23 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19065 on: January 07, 2018, 02:30:40 AM »
I didn't even know they were making a new game and they announced it two years ago apparently lol.

They're dumping story/co-op mode apparently: https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/2842/insurgency-sandstorm-community-update-a-shift-in-direction
As a team we have decided to make some shifts in the direction of Insurgency: Sandstorm. To start, the single player and cooperative story has been canceled for release, and will be considered again at a later date. This is due to its high production requirements and our commitment to deliver to our fans in 2018. The story was a very exciting and new opportunity for us as a team, but we felt we had to make a choice. At this moment it’s more important to us that we deliver a full multiplayer and coop experience that improves on Insurgency; one that is true to our style and what we feel we do best. We know to some of you this decision may be unexpected, and we’re sad to share this news, but this was a shift our team felt we needed to make.

The setting of Insurgency: Sandstorm has been developed further. Though we initially wanted to portray particular contemporary real world conflicts, we actually found this approach restrictive of our design and, admittedly, sensitive. Instead, our conflict is fictionalized, but draws inspiration from various modern real world insurgencies. This is in regards to environment, gameplay, characters, vehicles, equipment, weapons, etc. It’s inspiration that is mostly aesthetic and not tied down by any one region. Having this approach allows us to focus our resources on creating a fun and atmospheric hardcore multiplayer experience. It also provides robust options for character customization, post-release level content, community modding, and other aspects.

At this point we can confirm a little more content and what you can expect in Sandstorm. The planned game modes for release are as follows: Push, Firefight, and Capture the Base for Versus, plus Checkpoint, Operation, and Outpost for Coop. Push and Firefight are very similar to as they were in Insurgency. Both of these modes will not have drivable vehicles, as we hope to preserve the gameplay of our legacy game modes. Capture the Base however is a more open map mode, one which is built from the start with drivable vehicles in mind. It’s got a bit more of a “Capture the Flag” feel to it (though with very different goals and conditions) and so far has been a lot of fun to play internally. Firefight will also feature a separate 5v5 competitive ruleset with its own matchmaking and ranking system. Checkpoint and Outpost are similar to Insurgency as well (Outpost has seen some tweaks) but Operation will offer a new kind of experience. We’ll be sharing more about that in due time.

Adding game modes post-release is something we are considering. However it is important to us that we do not fragment or separate our player base with too many modes, and that each of our modes offers a very fun and distinct experience. Game mode excess is something we were a bit guilty of in Insurgency and Day of Infamy.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19066 on: January 07, 2018, 02:50:23 AM »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:51:48 AM by Atramental »

Raist

« Reply #19068 on: January 11, 2018, 11:32:52 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19069 on: January 11, 2018, 02:43:01 PM »
Whelp, now I want an isometric Dark Souls with high-res pixal art.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19070 on: January 11, 2018, 03:50:50 PM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #19071 on: January 11, 2018, 11:32:27 PM »
There's nothing more satisfying after someone in Gwent uses Geralt's "WRONG! Another mistake." to tie the round, have one card left over (Commander's Horn) and then use Regis' "You have my utmost gratitude." (Tie it) "Bravo! Well done...!" "Watch closely now, you may learn something from this..." Be about to play the Commander's Horn when the klaxon "your opponent has forfeited." appears.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19072 on: January 12, 2018, 05:03:25 AM »

kingv

« Reply #19073 on: January 12, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »
Does it look exactly like the original duke? Or are there any updates. I like the retro orb.

thisismyusername

« Reply #19074 on: January 12, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »

Would you be okay with side-scroller Dark Souls?

thisismyusername

« Reply #19075 on: January 12, 2018, 05:25:52 PM »
Does it look exactly like the original duke? Or are there any updates. I like the retro orb.

It's the original Duke in terms of size and buttons/etc. The only difference is updating it for X-box 360/Flop select/start buttons (whatever they're called, share/something) and buttons above the triggers. Unless they reneged on that. Because that last bit (the bumpers being above the triggers) kinda puts me off. I'll still buy it, but I'm not feeling having L/R1 being easy to hit.

paprikastaude

« Reply #19076 on: January 12, 2018, 05:59:23 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I finally made a serious attempt at Zelda 2 last year and loved it. Wouldn't mind something in its vein nowadays.

Raist

« Reply #19077 on: January 12, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

You mean Salt and Sanctuary?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19079 on: January 13, 2018, 12:19:13 PM »

:nope