Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3019750 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #22620 on: September 13, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »
Meanwhile, I can't wait to finally play Hard Corps thanks to Megadrive Mini.

:bow Real Contra :bow2

The new one is jank-city, but the preview at the end showing off all the weapon loadout stuff and co-op missions is kinda cool.  It's not at all "Contra" apart from the name, but it could turn out as something OK to pick up on the cheap.  I see they're pricing it at $40 for launch.
ど助平

« Reply #22621 on: September 13, 2019, 11:45:34 AM »
I've decided to get back into City Shrouded in Shadow but holy shit the camera makes me motion sick. Ugh.
野球

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22622 on: September 13, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »
What

Bebpo

« Reply #22623 on: September 13, 2019, 06:00:14 PM »
I've decided to get back into City Shrouded in Shadow but holy shit the camera makes me motion sick. Ugh.

Yeaaaaah

Svejk

« Reply #22624 on: September 14, 2019, 10:44:05 AM »
Got an invite for EA Cloud Gaming Technical Trial.  Now they're jumping on the stream train too?   ::)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #22625 on: September 14, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »
Hope you get a sneak peek at Fifa 2022 and Battlefield VII.

"Wow, the lag introduced by the service is making these games even better!"

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22626 on: September 14, 2019, 01:25:03 PM »
Just more shit for EA to apologize for.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #22627 on: September 14, 2019, 02:27:10 PM »
The games they're testing it out on are Fifa 19, NFS Rivals (which I'm kinda curious about), Titanfall 2 and Unravel.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22628 on: September 14, 2019, 05:40:04 PM »
 :sabu
What

« Reply #22629 on: September 14, 2019, 07:04:45 PM »

Yeaaaaah

I really thought I was gonna throw up during the level on the Tokyo Bay Bridge with Mothra and the motorcycle. Ugggggh.
野球

kingv

« Reply #22630 on: September 14, 2019, 09:06:25 PM »
I feel like Titanfall 2 is gonna play like ultra mega turds streaming.

Bebpo

« Reply #22631 on: September 15, 2019, 12:31:07 AM »

Yeaaaaah

I really thought I was gonna throw up during the level on the Tokyo Bay Bridge with Mothra and the motorcycle. Ugggggh.

I mean I beat it, and I enjoyed it, but would I ever play it again? Not really.

paprikastaude

« Reply #22632 on: September 15, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #22633 on: September 15, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
Tales be like, we got budget now. :phil

Bebpo

« Reply #22634 on: September 15, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
Tales also be like we're so early in development and HD is still hard that all we can show you is a 1 person tiny battle footage and a few short cutscenes with like 3 characters on screen.

I'll believe we have a good Tales when we see it. I used to be Tales fan #1 and played them all, but PS3/Wii gen bailed on the series because it's pretty sucky now post-Graces.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22635 on: September 15, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
Berseria was good. :trumps
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22636 on: September 15, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »
The game comes out next year and Japanese games always slow feed info on them. Even fucking Remake has slowly dripped what the characters look like. I can’t think of any jrpg that has shown a lot on its early trailers. So I’m not too concerned that new Tales isn’t showing anything. Namco Bandai has really gone all in on the Unreal Engine 4 and most of their games have been technically sound on it. If the Tales team was having problems I’m sure they could get help.

That said I have no reason to believe in a Tales game even if this one looks graphically better. So it’s wait and see.

Bebpo

« Reply #22637 on: September 15, 2019, 08:00:15 PM »
Berseria was good. :trumps

Nah, didn't like it. Maybe better than Zest (I prefer Zest), but still pretty shitty compared to old good Tales games.

Bebpo

« Reply #22638 on: September 15, 2019, 08:01:19 PM »
I guess the way I'd define modern Tales games are less of whether they are good or bad, and more that there hasn't been a Tales game actually worth the time investment of playing it since Graces imo.

Rman

« Reply #22639 on: September 16, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »
Does anyone here understand Death Stranding lol.  Gotta be one of the more confusing games of recent memory. I don't know if Kojima fans will save this one.

Svejk

« Reply #22640 on: September 16, 2019, 03:39:47 PM »
Does anyone here understand Death Stranding lol.  Gotta be one of the more confusing games of recent memory. I don't know if Kojima fans will save this one.
https://kotaku.com/we-can-finally-explain-what-you-actually-do-in-death-st-1838078882

Personally, my only hope is, if it becomes a huge success, I want it to have full closure and end...  I don't want a sequel, I want Kojima to move on to another idea.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22641 on: September 16, 2019, 05:35:09 PM »
Gamestop is closing 200 stores...and renovating the rest? 

They're trying to turn their stores into a "hangout" and will have places to sit, play games, and sell snacks.  Will have more tournaments and such, too.  I can't see how this is going to improve their profits- how is inviting people to stand/sit around and play games instead of buying them supposed to do anything?  And add food?  Can't wait to see how much greasy shit ends up all over the place.

ど助平

Rman

« Reply #22642 on: September 16, 2019, 06:02:20 PM »
That's pretty cool, but I don't know if that works for the corporate, stock traded model of a GameStop.

GameStop needed to have pivoted years ago.  How they couldn't see the digital revolution coming to eat their lunch is bizarre to me.  Didn't they see what happened with Music, then TV/Movies?

Digital is too strong.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22643 on: September 16, 2019, 06:06:14 PM »
Control has me thinking about how lackluster the third person shooting offerings were this generation.

Resident Evil 2 was a great one and Control is up there.
If they count I guess the Tomb Raiders and MGSV would be top tier as well.

Quantum Break was ok-ish along with The Evil Within 1+2 and so are most others.
We didn't even get a new Max Payne or anything from Rockstar.
🤴

kingv

« Reply #22644 on: September 16, 2019, 08:16:44 PM »
I can see the idea of having GameStop be sort of a hang out spot. Where I live miniature gaming, board gaming, and magic are super popular and we have a full like 16 shops in a ~1 million metro area.

Theoretically, I can see the appeal of having something kind of like that except for video gaming, but the big problem is it really takes a dedicated management staff to make something like that work and they’d need a lot independence and passion to make it work.... and manager at GameStop is a McJob  that will be centrally planned.

OTOH, GameStop is staffed almost 100% by fat incels  and blue hairs and there are usually people that come in and like shoot the shit with the staff about games.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #22645 on: September 16, 2019, 08:49:23 PM »
Max Payne is enjoying life in the Caribbean somewhere. Let the man rest. He's been through enough.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22646 on: September 16, 2019, 10:55:33 PM »
So Gamestops are basically becoming comic book stores?

Svejk

« Reply #22647 on: September 16, 2019, 10:56:00 PM »

They're trying to turn their stores into a "hangout" and will have places to sit, play games, and sell snacks.  Will have more tournaments and such, too.  I can't see how this is going to improve their profits- how is inviting people to stand/sit around and play games instead of buying them supposed to do anything?  And add food?  Can't wait to see how much greasy shit ends up all over the place.

I've seen enough greasy controllers to last a lifetime.  :yuck

BisMarckie

« Reply #22648 on: September 17, 2019, 08:08:43 AM »
After hopping on the all digital train 7 years ago, I returned to buying discs, even rebuying games I already „own“ digitally.  :doge

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #22649 on: September 17, 2019, 08:21:26 AM »

It might work in some stores.  The GameWorks here at the Mall of America added a fairly sizable e-gaming section and it seems to be pretty popular.  But they already have the infrastructure in to sell food and drinks, game cards for time at the gaming stations, people that help set up gaming parties/tournaments, etc.

The store closures aren't really surprising.  They are way too oversaturated.  There are 5 or 6 within a 10 mile radius of my house.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22650 on: September 17, 2019, 08:42:22 AM »
yeah it's worth a shot. at the venue our fgc stuff is at there's always a group of people hanging around to play/buy games and MTG stuff. plus they run other gaming events as well.

of course with a city this size you need maybe two places like that to catch everyone and there's about 20 gamestops in town so good luck there.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #22651 on: September 17, 2019, 11:53:45 AM »
Where's the bore minecraft server

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #22652 on: September 17, 2019, 12:03:43 PM »
yeah it's worth a shot. at the venue our fgc stuff is at there's always a group of people hanging around to play/buy games and MTG stuff. plus they run other gaming events as well.

of course with a city this size you need maybe two places like that to catch everyone and there's about 20 gamestops in town so good luck there.

Yeah, where I could see it working is in smaller cities/suburbs.  I think for better or worse a lot of parents would be more apt to drop their kids off at a GameStop for a tournament versus some random mom and pop store.  Also it would work in some malls, parents tend to drop their kids off at GameStops anyway while they shop at other stores.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22653 on: September 17, 2019, 05:01:12 PM »
Picked up the greatest story on Boss Key
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cliffy was low on funds, it was way worse than it seemed after that shit game bombed. So he went to Tencent with his new Battle Royale idea to get some sweet Chinese cash.
Of course, Tencent knew about Cliffy so they were interested in talking to him. So he pitched his new 'Battle Royale'.
Which with great joy he told them had a 'back to the 80's' theme.

The room felt silent, because in China the 80's aren't a very popular time at all.  :lol

Cliffy started started sweating and stuttering. And then one of the managers said: "Do you perhaps mean the 80's in the USA?" and he said: "Yes" and there was less tension in the room.
Needless to say, that torpedoed any chance of a Tencent cash injection so he was screwed
[close]
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22654 on: September 18, 2019, 03:09:27 PM »
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #22655 on: September 18, 2019, 07:10:56 PM »

« Reply #22656 on: September 18, 2019, 10:16:20 PM »
Does anyone else hate the term “ecosystem”? It’s a term invented by marketers who huff their own farts out of a wine glass, while tweaking a nipple thinking about exciting new ways to fleece the consumer.

Just looking at the gears 5 thread and seeing people defending paying for skins. Maybe I’m out of touch old pc gamer here but I remember when skins, maps, modes, and mods were all free. And before someone says “bubububububu making games is expensiver nowadays” well then maybe don’t make them so damn expensive Minecraft looks like a block of cardboard, and plays like a bag of shit, and it sold a gazillion copies....

Indies have spoilt me, I’d take some shit made by a handful people for 10-30 dollars tops over a 500 million dollar game 9 times outta 10.

A few people tried to speak up back when horse armor hit, and got told “muhumumum uh just don’t buy it uhurhurz”. Well now you have your NBA2K20 my career mode, and you deserve it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:24:46 PM by ZombieSupaStar »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22657 on: September 18, 2019, 10:30:29 PM »
If only we'd thrown more rotten eggs at them, then...? Blame the people who pay for skins and lootboxes. The industry isn't going to leave money on the table for the good of video game culture. :yeshrug

kingv

« Reply #22658 on: September 18, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
:yuck going to hang out with people who think hanging out at Gamestop would be fun and cool

When I think of the weirdest nerd dudes I’m around, miniature gamers are probably worse than your standard video game nerd.

I play Warhammer with a dude that has the worst teeth I’ve ever seen and smokes so much in his apartment you can’t even stand closer than 5 feet to him.

I bought some minis from him that were new in box, and they reeked so bad o f cigarette smoke I had to keep them in my garage for 2 weeks before I could bear to open the box. And this is from a former smoker who doesn’t usually get bothered by smoke smell.

« Reply #22659 on: September 18, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »
I’m just glad I can be satisfied with cheap games like baba is you, rimworld, caves of qud, the painscreek killings etc. it’s just when I peek over to the mainstream it’s like man did this industry become crappier about monetization in the last decade or what. I mean I’m not a basketball fan but what choice do they even have nowadays? Then you see the evidence in fifa of rubberband ai effecting the gameplay to drive more ultimate team stuff?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/799a9y/a_paper_written_by_ea_employees_on_dynamic/

Seems like these games are becoming about as honest as candy crush. It’s just lame you have to treat a $60 triple a purchase nowadays like you would some “free to play” game from the 00s and wait to see if it’s good value or just a rigged Skinner box.

Like Stardew valley looks like it fell out of an snes from 92 but is a complete product, was made by one dude (afaik) and doesn’t bullshit you. I still enjoy some triple a stuff, like red dead 2 single player was a shit load of content for $60. I trust cdpr with cyberpunk. I’m sure it’ll have dlc but priced for its value, but I feel these are exceptions now not the standard.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:27:40 PM by ZombieSupaStar »

kingv

« Reply #22660 on: September 19, 2019, 12:12:18 AM »
I actually think monetization in AAA games I s better today than it was in releases from 3 years ago.

Overwatch loot boxes are basically abusive, and that shit was in almost every game made from 2015-2016. Shit even that dumb middle earth game.

I don’t really mind monetization in games as long as it doesn’t really affect the rest of the game too much. I don’t think I’ve really bought anything in the last year or 2 that was too bad with monetization.

« Reply #22661 on: September 19, 2019, 12:36:56 AM »
Like the last I paid attention, online passes were the new hotness for paid games, and I thought those were crap. Then I caught indie fever and barely paid attention to any mainstream stuff that wasn’t Bethesda/Rockstar (only single player). And then I just see a Jim sterling video or ten and that nba2k20 angry joe episode and I’m like holy shit what did y’all put up with that let it get this point?!

I guess you just gotta be careful now and see what kinda value your given for the purchase or if your just a husk they want to bleed revenue out of. I know they are all businesses, but some at least attempt to deliver value before accounting comes in wanting to monetize you out of your soul as well. The struggle of art vs profits I guess.

Chooky

« Reply #22662 on: September 19, 2019, 07:20:33 AM »
most big-budget games play completely fine as is, with the dlc and lootboxes being confined to aesthetic stuff and gameplay boosters. extremely easy to ignore all that.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #22663 on: September 19, 2019, 07:49:54 AM »

I bought some minis from him that were new in box, and they reeked so bad o f cigarette smoke I had to keep them in my garage for 2 weeks before I could bear to open the box. And this is from a former smoker who doesn’t usually get bothered by smoke smell.

Didn't even mention the best part of getting stuff from a smoker. Having to drop your shit off at the nuclear cleaning facility to get the fucking yellowish nicotine stains off.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #22664 on: September 19, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
I’ve never spent a dime on MTX.  I buy season passes and DLC but that’s different.

I still play and enjoy the games.  In fact I love the trend because I’m a huge loot/Progression whore and it’s encouraged more games to have those mechanics.  You don’t have to pay, just play.

The people who do pay are funding continuous development of some games I enjoy too.  Thanks guys!

Never really got the appeal of loot... especially in my genre of choice of rpgs. Inventory management is like the least interesting part of them, and it's not really exciting to get an iron sword with 1% greater chance of inflicting poison than your existing iron sword. But to each their own I guess.

Even worse is when loot and rare drops are tied to a crafting system... ugh. Even Bloodstained is infected with that shit.
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22665 on: September 19, 2019, 11:29:52 AM »
most big-budget games play completely fine as is, with the dlc and lootboxes being confined to aesthetic stuff and gameplay boosters. extremely easy to ignore all that.

Yeah the coolest skins that used to be unlockables are now in the HELIX STORE that you can buy for 12 euro's

Looking at how little skins there are in ACO for your mount, but then they have 15 skins for sale.

Yeah zero impact on the actual game there bud.

Keep defending this garbage, we already have characters that cost 5 euros or more, and no unlockable chars in Tekken 7. Garbage ass bullshit how can you keep defending the same bullshit over and over again.

Zero braincells this guy
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22666 on: September 19, 2019, 11:32:51 AM »
I’ve never spent a dime on MTX.  I buy season passes and DLC but that’s different.

I still play and enjoy the games.  In fact I love the trend because I’m a huge loot/Progression whore and it’s encouraged more games to have those mechanics.  You don’t have to pay, just play.

The people who do pay are funding continuous development of some games I enjoy too.  Thanks guys!

So good! Turning every game under the sun into an rpg lite to padd out the game, put in buyable boosters and other skins/armor/loot

SO GOOD! Such grand artistic vision behind these games!

Or is it creatively bankrupt trying to keep the player in your garbage ass ecosystem for so long he might grow an interest in the side content one can buy

Oh man im so glad every game is being turned into an rpg lite, fucking delicious progress bars ticking up hmmmm

Also dont forget the numbers gotta go UP UP UP!
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22667 on: September 19, 2019, 11:38:03 AM »
if only there was a way to just not play new games you don't like, really unfortunate that the government mandated everyone is required to play every new game that gets released.

also too bad that anything pre-2018 was destroyed in a massive fire and no longer exists for consumption.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22668 on: September 19, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
There really aren't many games " I don't like " .

There are practices that publishers take part in that I despise.

The games themselves are mostly harmless.

And by not playing them, am I contributing to not buying MTX?

Or by playing them, even if I dont buy MTX I am in indirect support of MTX?

No I don't subscribe to that theory. I will just remain vocal about shit I dislike, and continue to hold a disdain for anyone supporting these backwards ass practices.

And yes, most games I own are older than 2018 and they are in many ways superior to their newer counterparts.

Looking at a game like Jedi Knight II. I'm 100% sure the combat will be better than that animation heavy garbage that Respawn is putting out. Im also sure it will contain MTX in some way. Fuck all that shit. If you cant do a game better than a 10+ year old game dont bother
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22669 on: September 19, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »
oh cool so you're just a whiny bitch over shit you don't partake in and doesn't affect you. that's much more reasonable.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22670 on: September 19, 2019, 11:42:34 AM »
oh cool so you're just a whiny bitch over shit you don't partake in and doesn't affect you. that's much more reasonable.

Oh so because I don't have a gun I cant bitch about gun violence?

Fuck off

What do you mean it doesn't affect me? It affects everyone who plays vidya dumbass ignoramus
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22671 on: September 19, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »
no one gives a fuck about your shitty opinion on their MTX purchases and having a disdain for something that has nothing to do with your wallet. if you don't like it, don't buy the games. if you don't care enough to even do that then why should anyone care about your moronic "disdain"?

once again, it really can't be overstated how monumentally fucking stupid Mmarsu is.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22672 on: September 19, 2019, 11:51:12 AM »
Runs out of arguments - HEY MAN NOBODY CARES -
 :lol

Right, so why post anything at all on this forum?

Cause I surely don't give a shit what you think about it either, so I guess it all evens out?

Why do you feel the need to get into this discussion with me if you dont care? Then just don't even reply to my fucking post but nahh you cant let that slide can you

:lol fucking tool

Once again, if other people buy MTX it DOES influence me and everybody else who plays videogames, no matter how much you try to form it into some weird " oh well just dont buy it then " which is the dumbest fucking argument I've ever heard ( aside from ' It's just another launcher bro! ' )
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22673 on: September 19, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »
nobody cares about your vocal disdain, dope. feel free to not buy any mtx but what is the purpose of shitting on people who ignore or purchase it as you moan about the end of gaming while more games come out every year than anyone could ever consume? it only serves to make you look stupid.

it really can't be overstated how monumentally fucking stupid Mmarsu is

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22674 on: September 19, 2019, 12:03:09 PM »
The end of gaming. Yeah I never said that. Why don't you go sit in your fucking childrens corner if you have no desire to have an actual discussion on the topic but just wanna shit on me for having my own opinion?

Yeah im not gonna give a shit what you have to say about anything bro, I honestly couldn't care less what your opinion on anything is. And I don't really care if noone cares about my opinion either? Because like assholes we all have one. So let me voice my opinion and I'll let you voice yours. You can't just disagree with me, you have to shit on me for not just consuming and shutting the fuck up? Man how many companies would like to have you as their PR person. JUST SIT DOWN AND CONSUME YOU SWINE FUCK AND SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH YOUR OPINION!

Fucking assclown  :lol
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22675 on: September 19, 2019, 12:12:41 PM »
except you do consume it by buying games with mtx, way to show them :teehee

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22676 on: September 19, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »
Yeah ok let's just agree to disagree dumbass
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #22677 on: September 19, 2019, 12:16:52 PM »
only playing indies :kobeyuck
western AAA :nope

quality mid- to higher budget Japanese games from like Capcom, From, Sega, etc. revived in this gen :ohyeah

BisMarckie

« Reply #22678 on: September 19, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »
I don’t think I ever bought DLC (Paradox games don’t count!  >:( ) who‘s got time for story DLC with a backlog of hundreds of games? :jeb

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22679 on: September 19, 2019, 01:59:05 PM »
Anyway I just came across this and have a good laugh.. like wow

what?  :lol
What