Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3058687 times)

BikeJesus

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #23220 on: November 26, 2019, 04:58:17 PM »
Steam Controller is apparently 5 bucks on Steam. I can't order due to being in Canada. Anyone who will send me one will get any game gifted to them up to $60 bucks. I would like 2 controllers.

Edit: whatever the controller costs you, plus the shipping, i will double. My only other option is $140+ off Amazon. I also have access to a p.o. Box in Blaine if that helps.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:42:57 PM by BikeJesus »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #23221 on: November 26, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
Oh I just ordered one. I would do it, but I am sure someone can help you from the US, cause shipping from Denmark would be stupid expensive.

Chooky

« Reply #23222 on: November 26, 2019, 06:59:26 PM »
any reason to pick one up if i already have an xb1 controller?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23223 on: November 26, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »
17€ with shipping, which is still dirt cheap, but tbh i'm very skeptical of the trackpad thing.
I'm pretty happy with the DS4 anyway.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23224 on: November 27, 2019, 09:19:16 AM »
any reason to pick one up if i already have an xb1 controller?
nah. it's an acceptable controller but now that steam input exists it's kinda pointless. other than having a trackpad for mouse games (which was hit or miss imo) the main cool feature of it was being able to remap the controls on a per game basis, but now you can do that with any controller so it's kinda whatever.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #23225 on: November 27, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »
Unless you're like in a living room setup if you're playing a Valve game might as well just use the mouse and if it's a third party game it probably already has Xbox controller support so it'd be pretty darn niche. Since Valve went ahead and made everything like the overlay, big picture, etc. work with the Xbox controller anyway it's even more niche.

benjipwns

« Reply #23226 on: November 27, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
I went ahead and bought myself a replacement Xbox for Xmas. Been checking every so often and there was a pretty good looking one from a good seller but then I saw one for eight dollars more where the guy put in a 80GB drive with a bunch of arcade roms on it and that he had cleaned and rechecked everything in it so I was like, yes, let's get that one. Even though I'll probably never even run games (let alone the roms he put on it) off the hard drive though I probably should to help the DVD drive.

I briefly had a panic thought about how I would possibly get my saves off the borderline dead one. Then I realized they're all like 10 years old or more anyway and I should start any game over. :lol

BisMarckie

« Reply #23227 on: November 27, 2019, 11:23:47 AM »

Svejk

« Reply #23228 on: November 27, 2019, 11:49:33 AM »
Another relatively big update for NMS... NMS Synthesis

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1199689951199289350

Gotta give Sean Murray some props for continuing with this game.

benjipwns

« Reply #23229 on: November 27, 2019, 12:10:36 PM »
OG xbox :rejoice

https://www.retrorgb.com/true-xbox-hdmi-mod-announced.html
:jeb
I still gots me an old CRT I've kept just for the DC/PS2/Xbox/Wii (GCN) gen. If I want to see some of those better (mostly the latter) I just emulate it, but Xbox is so far behind, and there's so few games truly at 720p. Maybe Scarlett will nicely emulate everything since they've gotten closer on the Xbone.

The only issue is games that are only compatible with 480i – Even if your display supports 480i over HDMI, it’ll likely be a very laggy experience.  You can force 480p modes with a custom BIOS on those games
huh, didn't know you could do this with those

BisMarckie

« Reply #23230 on: November 27, 2019, 12:58:14 PM »
Xbox emulation on Xbox One is pretty solid. The only bummer is that the catalog of backward compatible games is so limited.
On the other hand most Xbox games that aren't backwards compatible are on other platforms with better emulation or on PC.

benjipwns

« Reply #23231 on: November 27, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »
Crimson Skies is clearly the most important title.

There's a good chunk of games they can emulate but can't allow because of licensing. I was also thinking of an Xbone to play 360 exclusives on since I've been a PC mang when I saw how cheap the S's were. Might wait to see if Scarlett does more with emulating both of them.

I'm still surprised sometimes at coming across the multiplats that look way better on Xbox. Like the 2K games after the first set of Dreamcast ports in 2K2 all are crazy good looking. Then you have like EA where everything basically looks like the PS2 version.

There's some weird games where the PC version is a PS2 port and the Xbox version has extra features/graphics/etc. I don't mean games like GTA where the enhanced Xbox version came out years later, I mean where the versions all released at the same time.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #23232 on: November 27, 2019, 03:29:24 PM »

Quite interesting. The itty bitty tiny subtitles still blows my mind. Maybe not so much if that happens to be the case on Switch handheld mode. I can see how that can happen sometimes if a game is designed more for a TV or monitor sized screen. But the fact that games have subtitles that are impossible to see on a huge ass tv is  perplexing. It's almost always the very first thing people complain about after a game is released. How do you guys and gals not catch this? Never test sitting on a couch 10 feet away from a living room tv?

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #23233 on: November 27, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
I mean when the topic was brought up in the vid, the very first thing that popped in my head was Dead Rising. And that was over 10 years ago lol. That's pretty much half of why that game is known.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #23234 on: November 27, 2019, 05:09:10 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #23235 on: November 28, 2019, 10:47:30 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23236 on: November 28, 2019, 12:03:28 PM »

Cool test, pretty much what I already thought
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23237 on: November 28, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »
tl;dw?
No, but it helps?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #23238 on: November 28, 2019, 03:34:34 PM »
tl;dw?

Linus is still a megadouche.

No, but it helps?

Irrelevant, 99.9999% of people play online.

Also

Thanks to Nvidia for sponsoring this video!

:awesome

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #23239 on: November 29, 2019, 07:40:09 AM »

missed this a while back. not sure if posted here but :rejoice

so many fax.

4k as a standard :piss2 (particularly for gaming)

res whores :piss2

crt da gawd
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23240 on: November 29, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »
1800$ on ebay? Thanks, i'll got with a 55 inch 4K HDR OLED, since i'm on a budget.  :doge

naff

« Reply #23241 on: November 29, 2019, 09:22:27 AM »
heh, yeah totally. i wouldn't give up flat panel tvs for anything to go back to godawful giant crt behemoths either.

they just made the point well about how an image at a fine res (say max reqd for a noticeable IQ improvement of 1440p) with great motion, colour and all available image quality improvement settings turned up to max looks much better than an image rendered at 4k your graphics card is struggling to output even without additional post effects improving the actual noticeable image quality.

4k has become annoying marketing lingo for better IQ. higher res beyond 2k isn't improving noticeable IQ for anyone but a very small number of people with perfect eyesight that sit really close to their screens. I see so many ppl attribute their new 4k TV panels resolution to why it looks so great, but they actually just got a modern panel with better colour quality, contrast, black levels etc. it's a losing argument, 4k has won out now anyway. but now they're  (TV manufacturers, illuminati, Koch brothers? idk. them!  :hans1) trying to push for 8k too! I haaaate it. such a waste.

is nice how 2k panels are quite popular in pc gaming, but fear they're a slowly dying breed. actually real happy with native 1080p for gaming, but prefer 2k for productivity on ur average pc screen size.
◕‿◕

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23242 on: November 29, 2019, 09:25:49 AM »
I still remember having to help my brother move his enormous freaking CRT a few times and it was absolute hell every time. That thing weighed a ton.
dog

naff

« Reply #23243 on: November 29, 2019, 09:33:37 AM »
I do miss my big old black 4:3 trinitron. wouldn't be surprised if it's still in the flat I left it in years back  :lol
◕‿◕

kingv

« Reply #23244 on: November 29, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »
I do miss my big old black 4:3 trinitron. wouldn't be surprised if it's still in the flat I left it in years back  :lol

I had like a 38” trinity prom when 360 came out.

Thing was a beast I eventually gave it away to some younger dudes I worked with that didn’t have a tv yet. Deal was they had to pick it up and carry it.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #23245 on: November 29, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »
I had a 34" 1080i sony from circuit city  :pimp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23246 on: November 29, 2019, 06:43:29 PM »
People who promote CRT's as the sort of epitome of screen technology have clearly never used one before.
I was glad when flat screens became the norm even though LCD's certainly had their issues as well.
Especially in the 3D era CRT's were just a blurry mess.
Not that many people owned HD CRT's so scavenging for a Sony HD CRT is like buying a 1990 Ferrari and saying all cars were better back then.

Now I have an LG OLED, which is like the best type of TV panel ever with Technicolor certified color accuracy.
🤴

naff

« Reply #23247 on: November 29, 2019, 07:09:51 PM »
eh, pretty sure we all used crt m8

oled and good lcd ips is def better for colour accuracy than even the best crts. you could get an amazing colour correct crt, but any ambient light and you got screenflare and the gamut gets a little skewed. also good luck finding one of those old great crt monitors. I believe them when they say they can't be beat for motion yet though. p sure df don't have some hidden agenda for selling vintage crt they've stockpiled or something, and I remember how smooth my old Philips brilliance 22" was.

considering going up to the dump shop today to see if I can find an old 100hz+ crt monitor for a few bucks to play with. there are a few on local trading sites, but shipping would prob not be worth it for a piece of eventual junk.

◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #23248 on: November 29, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
I carried that monster up the stairs to an apartment I moved into  :stahp I really should have had someone helping, but I was young and stubborn  ::)

Chooky

« Reply #23249 on: November 29, 2019, 08:11:33 PM »
crts would make this god-awful high pitched sounds sometimes that would drive me fucking insane. that alone makes me grateful for the new shit.

benjipwns

« Reply #23250 on: November 29, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »
All TVs have a noticeable I guess "hum" noise to me when they're on. Computer monitors do too but it's way way less so, I assume because they don't have speakers attached that also come on.

Even if muted I can tell if a TV is on in the same area. Even in a loud place like a McDonalds or whatever. I looked this up years ago and it just means we can hear a broader range than most people or something, it was such that it was not really dependent on how well you can hear volume or whatever. Some company shielded their CRTs in a way that really cut down on this noise but I forget which it was, some semi-lower tier company like Sanyo or something and it wasn't intentional it was just the way they did it. I remember the best place to get them were like at Walmart or K-Mart.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Of course, being a cat it's not uncommon for us to hear different frequencies...
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #23251 on: November 29, 2019, 11:15:20 PM »
I will admit to liking 1080p at certain sizes for gaming too, I couldn't really tell a huge 4K difference at the same size monitor a friend had as mine. Compared to what are the same games at 1080p plus the levels of AA and such I can easily do at that resolution.

Of course, I will also admit the only game he had installed that I'd really say I'm familiar with is Overwatch and it's not necessarily one I'd think of being the best showcase. I was like "whatever" at Dota2. He started downloading APEX but we forgot to go back and look at it. Then like a week later he started playing that a bunch. :lol

TV sizes are obvious with media, I don't think I've actually seen a console game at it natively as nobody I know has a X or Pro.

Boredfrom

« Reply #23252 on: November 30, 2019, 01:04:25 AM »
I tried to watch Petscop... when it gets good? Is boring as hell and the creepiness gets old 5 episodes in.

Coax

« Reply #23253 on: November 30, 2019, 12:28:19 PM »
Achieve It Yourself! - 10 Scoops of Kindness - S2 #7

The ending of the Astral Chain challenge :dead :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23254 on: December 01, 2019, 11:18:49 PM »
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23255 on: December 02, 2019, 04:32:45 AM »
How do I extend gamepass ultimate the cheapest way?
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23256 on: December 02, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »
buy 3 month cards on keysites

benjipwns

« Reply #23257 on: December 02, 2019, 06:12:33 PM »
"New" Xbox comes so I'm cleanin stuff up, hit the button on the "old" one before unplugging just to make sure there's no disc in the tray. Works perfectly. Motherfucker knows there's another Xbox in the house.

benjipwns

« Reply #23258 on: December 02, 2019, 11:48:58 PM »
free tip

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #23259 on: December 03, 2019, 01:22:14 AM »
The 90's version of this

Rahxephon91

« Reply #23260 on: December 03, 2019, 04:01:15 AM »
His shitty boss battles and meh combat will fit in a horror game at least.
:comeon
Hey man I played MGS4, PW, MGS5, and DS. It's been a long time since the heights of MGS3.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23261 on: December 03, 2019, 07:01:21 AM »
His shitty boss battles and meh combat will fit in a horror game at least.
:comeon
Hey man I played MGS4, PW, MGS5, and DS. It's been a long time since the heights of MGS3.
Fair enough, but those games (aside from DS and PW, since i don't know) have mediocre boss battles (and MGS4 still has Rex vs Ray) not particularly bad ones.
I guess you're only as good as your worst product, but you wouldn't call Coppola a shitty director, because he made shit for the last 30 years, when the guy still made fucking Apocalypse Now.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #23263 on: December 04, 2019, 08:13:25 AM »
buy 3 month cards on keysites

Be a little careful with this.

I bought 3 months cards from cdkeys and every single one of them was a trial card that only worked for people that didn’t currently have Ultimate. I was able to get a refund... but still, lame as fuck.

I got a years worth for $100 from Best Buy on Black Friday. Maybe that deal will pop back up again.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #23264 on: December 04, 2019, 12:00:58 PM »
What's impressions for Ace Combat 7? $15 at Target is tempting but I've never played one before.
que

Svejk

« Reply #23265 on: December 04, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
What's impressions for Ace Combat 7? $15 at Target is tempting but I've never played one before.
If you like flying games and/or a hardcore TopGun fan, it's about the best of the best currently...  And with a healthy dose of cheese drama for a campaign.  But if you don't find joy in barrel rolling while dodging cliffs to take down enemies, I wouldn't bother.

« Reply #23266 on: December 04, 2019, 02:07:29 PM »
https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-still-planning-a-cheaper-disc-le-1840203823

RE in despair over this news lol. As a pc gamer for the last 18 years I’m used to having games hamstrung to lower specs (consoles). I mean crysis was the last “pc killer” game. Maybe you could argue star citizen will be that too 15 years from now when it finally launches also. But yeah the next gen games will all have to use whatever power this lower model has.

benjipwns

« Reply #23267 on: December 04, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
Disc drives are one of the biggest continued costs of consoles really, they don't drop in price like the chips as the process matures. Then the other costs involved with the inventory. They've also been a point of system failure forever.

They obviously wanted to make this shift last gen but it was too early. But now people are far more used to buying solely digitally.

The performance drop seems odd, especially as low as Kotaku speculates. From the sources quoted I assume it's mostly related to a cut in compute units and clock speeds. I do wonder if it's really as large as they're suggesting or looks more like the S vs. the original bone.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23268 on: December 04, 2019, 02:44:31 PM »
a ps4 pro level gpu with a current gen cpu wouldn't really be a massive drop in power. if they are actually pushing 1440/60 that's still a massive improvement over current gen.

paprikastaude

« Reply #23269 on: December 04, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »
gamerankings seems to be closing this week and redirect to meta. :goty2 I'm old and I don't like the metacritic design.

benjipwns

« Reply #23270 on: December 04, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
Does Metacritic now link to every dumb review site on the internet even if it's not included in the score? That's what I used to love about GameRankings. Found lots of dumb fan sites clicking on outlier scores.

« Reply #23271 on: December 04, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »
I don’t mind a slightly lower baseline for next gen consoles. Just means the Zen 4 pc build I make next year will last me 10 years instead of 7.

I really hope the cpu specs are close, the gpu stuff being cut down just means lower res, medium settings, no ray tracing etc.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:01:46 PM by ZombieSupaStar »

benjipwns

« Reply #23272 on: December 04, 2019, 03:03:32 PM »
I remember finding a PlayStation fan site that used to essentially score games on a 90-100 scale, if it was 89 or lower it was a bad game.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23273 on: December 04, 2019, 03:05:39 PM »
i do like the "sky is falling" freakout over next gen now being compromised as if games on pc haven't been scaled up/down on varying hardware for years

kotaku is making it sound like its the same ssd/cpu as the big boy xbox so if its just a slightly worse gpu and no disc drive then it'll be whatever. no biggie, but cheap enough to sell someone skeptical on "next gen".

make the baby console 350 with 3/6 mos game pass and the big boy one 500, that kinda sets the state for the expectations of each box.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:11:02 PM by nachobro »

« Reply #23274 on: December 04, 2019, 03:16:36 PM »
It’s also funny in a world where a triple A game needs a bunch of MTX or 10s of millions sold or it wasn’t profitable and would sink the company if it was third party,  that they’re still pushing for extreme power jumps in graphics fidelity.

Like where Minecraft is the number one game ever and sold a bajillion in revenue. Or fortnight, or league of legends, or mobile gacha crap  show that the masses don’t care about graphics further than they can throw a stadia 700tf server.

I’m just glad I can have the same fun in a potato looking game like rimworld as I can in red dead 2.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #23275 on: December 04, 2019, 03:20:15 PM »
gamerankings seems to be closing this week and redirect to meta. :goty2 I'm old and I don't like the metacritic design.

damn that's a bummer. Love Gamerankings. Always used that and Opencritic. Metacritic is fine sure, but I preferred Gamerankings.

Here are some vids not related to that subject:

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23276 on: December 04, 2019, 03:25:06 PM »
i do like gamers being unable to understand scaling when the switch does it on the fly since it clocks up/down based on it being docked or portable :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #23277 on: December 04, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »
Games have been auto-adjusting their resolutions for how long now...

« Reply #23278 on: December 04, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
I just hope the cpus are close, that’s where engines non graphical capabilities lie. I don’t care if the normal maps are only 2x instead of 4 for this rock on the dollar store xbox. But I do care if in the next elder scrolls the inn keeper ai won’t track how many forks I’ve balanced on his grandfathers head because the cpu calculations couldn’t be done on the worse system.

:snob

benjipwns

« Reply #23279 on: December 04, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
In the case of Skyrim PS3 I think the problem was they didn't realize the thing would run out of RAM :lol