Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3101550 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #25860 on: August 09, 2020, 10:46:44 AM »

Did not know that current Xbox One models already support 120hz.  Interesting.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25861 on: August 09, 2020, 02:00:15 PM »
Only appears to be like Burnout on some levels.

:idont
It seems people like it from a 'it's so 'bad' it's good' kinda way.
Reminds me of the latest Terminator game in that regard. Mediocre at best but for the 'real fans' it delivers that future war experience they always wanted.

The F&F game sort of does the same thing where unlike previous games it's not just a racer but actually an action game that allows you to fight tanks with your car and is as silly as the movies.
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #25862 on: August 10, 2020, 01:40:36 PM »
Wasn't a big fan of the Arkham games.  Played AK only....
The first one is METROID with BATMAN.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25863 on: August 10, 2020, 02:37:03 PM »
Wasn't a big fan of the Arkham games.  Played AK only....
The first one is METROID with BATMAN.
It's a mediocre Metroidvania though, but the combat was fun at the time.
Rendered pointless by Arkham City imo.

Knight is shit though, i wouldn't base my opinion of the series on that.

paprikastaude

« Reply #25864 on: August 10, 2020, 02:37:17 PM »
This series of which I only played the shitty entry was never good :yeshrug :rollsafe :joker

benjipwns

« Reply #25865 on: August 10, 2020, 02:47:19 PM »
City (and Origins) is more like ZELDA with BATMAN imo

I think Origins has the best story and boss fights, City probably has the best gameplay overall, and Asylum has the best map/unlock path

I've never actually finished Knight, I was going to with my Batman playthrough for the blog but that stalled at the PS1 generation because of Batman and Robin which is both amazing in terms of being attempted (OPEN WORLD, DETECTIVE WORK, COMBAT WITH GADGETS, etc.) and amazingly awful in terms of execution (PRESSING A SHOULDER BUTTON TO SWAP BETWEEN CONTROL SETS FOR COMBAT, THE CITY REPEATING ALL THE BUILDINGS WHILE THE BATMOBILE DRIVING IS INSANE, etc.)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #25866 on: August 10, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »
City (and Origins) is more like ZELDA with BATMAN imo

I think Origins has the best story and boss fights, City probably has the best gameplay overall, and Asylum has the best map/unlock path

I've never actually finished Knight, I was going to with my Batman playthrough for the blog but that stalled at the PS1 generation because of Batman and Robin which is both amazing in terms of being attempted (OPEN WORLD, DETECTIVE WORK, COMBAT WITH GADGETS, etc.) and amazingly awful in terms of execution (PRESSING A SHOULDER BUTTON TO SWAP BETWEEN CONTROL SETS FOR COMBAT, THE CITY REPEATING ALL THE BUILDINGS WHILE THE BATMOBILE DRIVING IS INSANE, etc.)

You have a game review blog? Link?
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #25867 on: August 10, 2020, 03:18:13 PM »
The Metroid aspect is way overblown for Asylum. It's incredibly handholdey and hence doesn't even come close to its inspiration. But it's a very good game. Only problem, the ending is so unbelievably bad, it soures the entire experience.

City is great. As has been said, it's more Zelda than your typical open world, unlike that trash Arkham Knight. Origins has the best bosses, story and art direction. Unfortunately the level design has stuck out to me as extremely bland on a replay, to the point that lots of it might as well be a walking simulator.

benjipwns

« Reply #25868 on: August 10, 2020, 03:27:08 PM »
I think without the doors to hide loading, the first one would have flowed better for Metroid feeling, but yeah, the ending is ugh

Origins has too empty of map, and the fast travel isn't really that fast and hurts the feeling, I barely had any bugs with origins too, I quite loved it.

You have a game review blog? Link?
It's more like Bire posts masquerading as a blog and updated quite irregularly because I suck:
https://benjivtvg.wordpress.com/

The thing I was going to do with the Batmans: https://benjivtvg.wordpress.com/2020/04/30/an-hour-with-8-bit-batmans/

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25869 on: August 10, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #25870 on: August 11, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »

20 minutes of English gameplay for 13 Sentinels.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #25871 on: August 11, 2020, 10:57:42 AM »
I totally forgot about that 13 Sentinels game. Wasn't it one of the first Japanese PS4 announcements?

What kind of game is it? RPG?
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #25872 on: August 11, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »
It's a tactical mecha RPG, but with heavy emphasis on visual novel elements. It's been in development long enough that it was originally going to be on the Vita.  :doge
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #25873 on: August 11, 2020, 11:42:11 AM »

:piss :jgames :piss2
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25874 on: August 11, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »
It's more like Bire posts masquerading as a blog and updated quite irregularly because I suck:
https://benjivtvg.wordpress.com/

The thing I was going to do with the Batmans: https://benjivtvg.wordpress.com/2020/04/30/an-hour-with-8-bit-batmans/

:lol

Sushi-X, EGM's troll persona.  Wonder who wrote that?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #25875 on: August 11, 2020, 01:37:01 PM »
I totally forgot about that 13 Sentinels game. Wasn't it one of the first Japanese PS4 announcements?

What kind of game is it? RPG?

It's a sci-fi thriller adventure game with heavy VN elements presented as a 2d side scrolling PnC adventure.

It's really good and possibly the best game Vanillaware has ever made (I still need to try to finish Odin Sphere someday). But it's really only for people that like adventure games/VNs.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25876 on: August 13, 2020, 05:42:18 AM »
GG: “They never had anybody outside Nintendo working in the building. They actually made a separate office for us in one room on our own, basically segregated out.”

DC: “The only place in the office where they allowed Miyamoto to smoke was in the place, the area where we were. He’d light up behind us and he’s, like, smoking away. And we’re, like, programming away and we’re like, ‘Oh, is he back again?’ So we’d be trying to implement something quite interesting, and then he just starts talking about trees or something, or, you know, just something completely out there. But we realized after a while that that’s actually the reason why he’s so much a creative genius. It’s because his brain is kind of thinking about all these different things at the same time.”
https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/shigeru-miyamoto-smoking-star-fox-argonaut-software-dylan-cuthbert-giles-goddard/

:miyamoto
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #25877 on: August 13, 2020, 03:26:58 PM »
 :bow :pimp :bow2

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25878 on: August 14, 2020, 08:05:41 AM »
The worst economic situation in the history of the world.
Sony and Microsoft about to drop $600 consoles
Nvidia about to drop a $1200 GPU

What's even more baffling is Microsoft cutting back production on their cheaper offerings.
The Switch Lite running a port of Super Mario 64 will absolutely wreck them all and CD Projekt Red will clean house with all those other games delayed to 2021.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25879 on: August 14, 2020, 10:51:09 AM »
The worst economic situation in the history of the world.

The great depression is on the line for you.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #25880 on: August 14, 2020, 12:52:08 PM »
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-14-warner-bros-confirms-gotham-knights-game-to-be-revealed-at-dc-event-this-month

A DC Event on the 22nd has "Batman: Gotham Knights" (WB Montreal) and "Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League" (Rocksteady).

That Batman title sounds like some multiplayer bullshit too  :dayum

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25881 on: August 14, 2020, 01:03:40 PM »
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-14-warner-bros-confirms-gotham-knights-game-to-be-revealed-at-dc-event-this-month

A DC Event on the 22nd has "Batman: Gotham Knights" (WB Montreal) and "Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League" (Rocksteady).

That Batman title sounds like some multiplayer bullshit too  :dayum
Could be Batman + Robin co-op multiplayer.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25882 on: August 14, 2020, 01:07:13 PM »
I'd take coop.
I don't think the Arkham formula has anything more left to add beyond that, tbh.

paprikastaude

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #25884 on: August 14, 2020, 05:04:30 PM »
I read that it was coming out this Xmas :o
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #25885 on: August 14, 2020, 05:12:57 PM »
MP4 will be a launch title for SwitcherU.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25886 on: August 14, 2020, 07:48:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/RetroStudios/status/1294332258074218497

:juicy
People are not reading into this correctly.

They list a number of positions including this one. My best guess is that these duties are currently divided over different producers for each department.
They want to centralize organizing the workload more, or perhaps add a producer role because they are working from home.
The tasks listed are very specific, which means that the lead producers job is not to start production or work out the production process but instead use the existing tools (JIRA) to bring the project to the finish line.

There's also a contract position to review outsourced work and test, assess and improve assets in-game for final delivery.
In other words, they are at the last stretch of development and depending on how production moves forward the game should be ready within 6 to 12 months.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #25887 on: August 14, 2020, 08:01:15 PM »
we'll be getting mp4 trailer soon  8)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25888 on: August 14, 2020, 08:16:42 PM »
For the promotion, Monster divulges that the total ARV of the entire prize pool is $119,998. This means -- via some quick math -- that each prize is worth $599.99. Now, Monster notes the MSRP for the next-gen Xbox console hasn't been revealed yet. That said, it's hard to ignore the estimated value of each prize, especially when it's in the expected price range of the console. Assuming Halo Infinite is a freebie, this would suggest the console is $600, or maybe $550 if Monster and Microsoft aren't absorbing all the cost of each copy of Halo Infinite.
Oops, Xbox price possibly leaked through a Monster promotion.

Price = Xbox Series X, value = $599

🤴

Himu

« Reply #25889 on: August 14, 2020, 11:28:53 PM »
Ordered physical Grandia Collection for switch via LRG. My first LRG release.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25890 on: August 15, 2020, 06:27:08 AM »
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #25891 on: August 15, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
Imagine a Tegra/ARM SOC  :drool
The Tegra *is* an ARM SoC, you boob.

Beezy

« Reply #25892 on: August 15, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »
Ordered physical Grandia Collection for switch via LRG. My first LRG release.
Same, even though I already have the digital version.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25893 on: August 15, 2020, 05:28:20 PM »
I felt a hankering for X-Men Legends but it doesn't play on PCSX2 :goty

This guy played on a dev version of pcsx2

What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25894 on: August 15, 2020, 05:35:26 PM »
I meant maybe you can copy his settings n stuff  :'(
What

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #25895 on: August 15, 2020, 05:58:04 PM »
Switcheroooo

They list a number of positions including this one. My best guess is that these duties are currently divided over different producers for each department.
They want to centralize organizing the workload more, or perhaps add a producer role because they are working from home.
The tasks listed are very specific, which means that the lead producers job is not to start production or work out the production process but instead use the existing tools (JIRA) to bring the project to the finish line.

There's also a contract position to review outsourced work and test, assess and improve assets in-game for final delivery.
In other words, they are at the last stretch of development and depending on how production moves forward the game should be ready within 6 to 12 months.
Prime games all got progressively shittier Retro Studios are bad at making games nobody cares.
Hi

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25896 on: August 15, 2020, 06:10:54 PM »
I meant maybe you can copy his settings n stuff  :'(

We are not on social media talk more of knowing what twitter is or reading twitter. We still walk around naked lighting fire with stone. Onye nzuzu! Stop flushing your senses in the toilet. You pee a lot out daily.

:lol fuck me
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #25897 on: August 15, 2020, 07:44:25 PM »
I felt a hankering for X-Men Legends but it doesn't play on PCSX2 :goty

what about Dolphin / Gamecube version then
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25898 on: August 16, 2020, 05:49:23 AM »
Switcheroooo

Prime games all got progressively shittier Retro Studios are bad at making games nobody cares.
I haven't played a single RetroStudio game, but aren't the Donkey Kong games they made, supposed to be amazing?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25899 on: August 16, 2020, 05:59:22 AM »
Switcheroooo

I haven't played a single RetroStudio game, but aren't the Donkey Kong games they made, supposed to be amazing?
A tier: Metroid Prime / Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
B tier: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes / Donkey Kong Country: Returns
B- tier: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Depending on your preferences you might like MP3 better than MP2 but overall I found it less impressive. The big draw at the time were the motion controls, which were certainly implemented well.
Graphically it's just much more dull and boring. Starting with MP2 Nintendo sort of wanted to position Metroid as their HALO competitor. Metroid Prime had the benefit of releasing before the likes of Half-Life 2 and Bioshock came out.
Considering when it launched and how it looked and played I would consider Metroid Prime Nintendo's most impressive GameCube game overall but it was made by ID Software, ‎Iguana Entertainment, and Valve alumni who left Retro shortly after.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is just a joy to play and not just one of their best games but one of the best 2.5D platformers made in recent history.
It's also one of the few Wii U era games where Nintendo increased the difficulty compared to the prequel instead of dumbing it down.
It also comes with an amazing David Wise soundtrack.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1294373278707068928
It seems that the concept of being an early adapter has been completely lost on today's gaming audience.
Which is why John Linneman is having such a hard time communicating with the community about next-gen.

They just don't understand that next-gen will be quite expensive for those that jump in early and having games run on 7 year old machines simply holds progress back.
As an early adapter you put in the extra money to get something first but you know it won't be perfect. If you want a better value for your investment you wait a year until the kinks have been worked out and the prices come down.

The new hill for mouth breathers like Jim Sterling to die on is next gen upgrades. Whining why only certain editions of games get free upgrades and chalking that up to publisher and developer greed.
If he had more than 2 brain cells he would understand that bargain bin $10 editions won't get upgrades at launch because everyone would just buy old copies. So games like CONTROL get reissued as GOTY or Ultimate Editions to remedy this.
The trade-off being that even though you pay full price for an Ultimate Edition you get all the DLC included. At this point I would say it is better for publishers just not to offer these free upgrade paths but sell them for a 10% discount or something if you already have the old game (no matter the edition). Otherwise it'll be the same whining for every game that gets an upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 06:14:16 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25900 on: August 16, 2020, 08:49:16 AM »
I've been engaging with Jimbo McSterling's community over the lack of Spider-Man on the PlayStation 4.

He has surely collected an interesting bunch of mouth breathers. I will publish the findings of my research soon  :tophat
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #25901 on: August 16, 2020, 09:13:14 AM »
 :hyper
(ice)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #25902 on: August 16, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »
Speaking of Tropical Freeze. Excellent choice for testing out your TV's input lag. That game is hard as it is, but if you have a TV with average or below average (as in high) input lag then don't even bother.

paprikastaude

« Reply #25903 on: August 16, 2020, 10:54:45 AM »
I remember fanboys convinced that Retro Studios would release a secret project shortly after Donkey Kong Country 2, because clearly they couldn't have solely worked 4 years on a samey 2D game sequel with recycled graphics. Also reminds me of when they announced the first Donkey Kong, some fanboys thought they'd be Nintendo's new supplementary after Rareware. :juicy Now they won't release a game for a whole decade. Total fuckup at Nintendo whoever manages them (iirc the same senile who shat all over Paper Mario).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:00:51 AM by Spieler1 »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #25904 on: August 16, 2020, 12:35:03 PM »
Isn’t there a story about the first Metroid prime being a total shit show until :miyamoto had to step in and sort it out or something along those lines?
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25905 on: August 16, 2020, 01:11:02 PM »
Isn’t there a story about the first Metroid prime being a total shit show until :miyamoto had to step in and sort it out or something along those lines?
The story involves Jeff Spangenberg in a hot tub and Nintendo purchasing Retro for a measly 1 million before Prime released and restructuring teams and resources towards 1 project: Metroid Prime.
Miyamoto had very little to do with the development of Metroid Prime and Nintendo giving him more credit didn't sit well with Pacini and the other leads but it was mainly a marketing ploy from Nintendo.

In the end he did make the call of cancelling a number of their games though because they simply could not explain the appeal of what they were making.
He also allegedly told them to make the game first person because that's what the former Turok devs did best.

Nintendo maintains that Miyamoto came up with the visor concept but Pacini says that isn't true and the idea was born from a designer experimenting with different screen filters.
After the cancellation of Metroid Prime 1.5 some key members left and with every release more key members left and Nintendo took more control over the production of the games.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25906 on: August 16, 2020, 01:41:27 PM »
Jimbo McSterlings community interaction part 1

Premise: I noticed that Jim Sterling kept whining about the costs of games and no free upgrades and so did his buddies

A game that won 80 GOTY awards was poorly made

The fun stuff begins with Spider-Man though.
TEH HORROR NO SPIDER MANS ON XBOX AND PC

I liked these the best:

Marvel stans telling me I'm kissing the ass of capitalism. They're not wrong though, I love capitalism but I don't support the Disney Corporation as much as they do.
I also had an extensive discussion with a gentleman about the value of video games.

It's a fun hornets nest to poke at  :snob

It's kinda sad to see how Jim Sterling's feed primarily consists of two topics now:
- Ubisoft are sex pests
- the game industry and all video games are terrible

It is sort of a quick fix for people addicted to feeling miserable and angry and when someone points out that the big issue of the day is not a big deal or makes a joke they get dogpiled "YOU CAPITALIST SCUM!"
such entertaining and uplifting content.

Video games are a weird hobby with so many people who are trying to actively hate them. Imagine being a football fan and posting about how much football sucks all day and that all athletes are rapists
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #25907 on: August 16, 2020, 01:57:36 PM »
Looks like you got shit on

Control sucks and the Ultimate Edition BS is shyster territory
fat

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #25908 on: August 16, 2020, 02:24:31 PM »
Nintex, I don't really care about your spat either way, but the "poorly made" bit is meant to be read as "poorly optimized for X console". I do vaguely remember that being an issue. It's hazy now, but the PS4 vanilla seemed to struggle with the game quite a bit more than the Pro version right?

Edit: rereading your tweet. You did get that they were referring to the optimization.

Fuck it. Ignore my post.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25909 on: August 16, 2020, 02:28:19 PM »
Nintex, I don't really care about your spat either way, but the "poorly made" bit is meant to be read as "poorly optimized for X console". I do vaguely remember that being an issue. It's hazy now, but the PS4 vanilla seemed to struggle with the game quite a bit more than the Pro version right?
At launch performance was sub 20fps bad on Xbox One and PS4. They patched it afterwards.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25910 on: August 16, 2020, 02:46:08 PM »
Porting a game takes work, you aren't entitled to other people's work for free, this is a dumb controversy.
I bought Last of Us on PS3 and then had to rebuy it on PS4, even if it was just a bunch of upresed textures and framrate/resolution bump.
Same for all other remasters that aren't remakes.

It's nice when people give you shit for free, but it's not a given.
That said, this is a bad PR move and a bad manouver from Remedy, and makes them look especially bad since everybody else is giving away these upres for free.
They must be pretty desperate for cash.

To be clear i don't mind people bitching about it, i don't even care about piracy, so i couldn't care less, but i don't see how this is made into some great ethical debate.

kingv

« Reply #25911 on: August 16, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »
I don’t usually care too much about console exclusive content but every once in a while they do one console really dirty.

Imo exclusive Spider-Man is one example of that, the other one is ps4 exclusive strikes and weapons in destiny. It’s just a shitty move to lock down the most popular character and/or exclusive levels in a game which has a ton of repetition already

paprikastaude

« Reply #25912 on: August 16, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »
When the console versions were said to be near unplayable, I waited for a GotY edition of Control anyway :idont

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #25913 on: August 16, 2020, 03:47:38 PM »
The story involves Jeff Spangenberg in a hot tub and Nintendo purchasing Retro for a measly 1 million before Prime released and restructuring teams and resources towards 1 project: Metroid Prime.
Miyamoto had very little to do with the development of Metroid Prime and Nintendo giving him more credit didn't sit well with Pacini and the other leads but it was mainly a marketing ploy from Nintendo.

In the end he did make the call of cancelling a number of their games though because they simply could not explain the appeal of what they were making.
He also allegedly told them to make the game first person because that's what the former Turok devs did best.

Nintendo maintains that Miyamoto came up with the visor concept but Pacini says that isn't true and the idea was born from a designer experimenting with different screen filters.
After the cancellation of Metroid Prime 1.5 some key members left and with every release more key members left and Nintendo took more control over the production of the games.

My games journalist :rejoice  :bow :bow2 :doggy
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25914 on: August 16, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
When the console versions were said to be near unplayable, I waited for a GotY edition of Control anyway :idont
Nvidia gave it to me for free because I bought a Geforce RTX.

:success
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #25915 on: August 16, 2020, 07:06:17 PM »
Rant about "stans" while rooting for mediocre Remedy game #3 breh :neogaf

benjipwns

« Reply #25916 on: August 16, 2020, 11:30:13 PM »
Retro was the total shitshow, they had five or more games in development at the same time, the known Raven Blade, but also some other titles including an NFL football game as the start of a whole Retro Sports line. It wasn't just Miyamoto but Nintendo as a whole came in and said look, we don't care about your garbage we care about Metroid, figure it out. So they halted everything but Raven Blade. Eventually they got on better terms and Nintendo more politely suggested it was best to work on one title at a time clearly, so they dropped Raven Blade which Nintendo liked the concept of and originally was going to have them come back to.

Miyamoto apparently did suggest they try a first person view to see if it could be done but it was one of many suggestions he makes overseeing games like this. He wasn't their main or direct Nintendo contact, I forget who it was, but that guy moved to Austin to be at Retro during the whole period. Miyamoto was just overseeing every game in development in some capacity as he was promoted shortly before the GameCube so he'd make like one or two comments to every team during tours to every studio and they were supposed to figure out what it meant or ignore it.

Retro's people have been pretty clear that Nintendo was right, that they had started way too many projects and were stretched too thin on each. They hadn't accounted for how much more resources each game would take in the new generation versus for the N64. Raven Blade is the only one I remember anyone having any regrets about killing IIRC because they really wanted to do an RPG more than anything specific about the title.

Rare and Silicon Knights went through the same thing during the same period where Nintendo had to tell them to stop fucking around with fifteen projects and focus on finishing one thing first. (Twin Snakes came about the way it did because Nintendo didn't want anything to do with Too Human, but did want MGS, and SK had two masters now forcing them to finish something.)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #25917 on: August 17, 2020, 02:24:31 AM »
 8)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #25918 on: August 17, 2020, 02:47:26 AM »
MP1 > DKCTF > MP3 > Jumping off a bridge > MP2 > DKCR
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25919 on: August 17, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
Retro was the total shitshow, they had five or more games in development at the same time, the known Raven Blade, but also some other titles including an NFL football game as the start of a whole Retro Sports line. It wasn't just Miyamoto but Nintendo as a whole came in and said look, we don't care about your garbage we care about Metroid, figure it out. So they halted everything but Raven Blade. Eventually they got on better terms and Nintendo more politely suggested it was best to work on one title at a time clearly, so they dropped Raven Blade which Nintendo liked the concept of and originally was going to have them come back to.

Miyamoto apparently did suggest they try a first person view to see if it could be done but it was one of many suggestions he makes overseeing games like this. He wasn't their main or direct Nintendo contact, I forget who it was, but that guy moved to Austin to be at Retro during the whole period. Miyamoto was just overseeing every game in development in some capacity as he was promoted shortly before the GameCube so he'd make like one or two comments to every team during tours to every studio and they were supposed to figure out what it meant or ignore it.

Retro's people have been pretty clear that Nintendo was right, that they had started way too many projects and were stretched too thin on each. They hadn't accounted for how much more resources each game would take in the new generation versus for the N64. Raven Blade is the only one I remember anyone having any regrets about killing IIRC because they really wanted to do an RPG more than anything specific about the title.

Rare and Silicon Knights went through the same thing during the same period where Nintendo had to tell them to stop fucking around with fifteen projects and focus on finishing one thing first. (Twin Snakes came about the way it did because Nintendo didn't want anything to do with Too Human, but did want MGS, and SK had two masters now forcing them to finish something.)
The biggest fuckery* had to be that while they were working on Metroid Prime they were also working on a second alien shooter action adventure thing.  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
except for Spangenberg's hot tub
[close]

Also 2000 seemed like a fun time when publishers/developers would just throw some assets into a trailer and say:
"Look! MEOWTH VIDEO GAME is now in development!"
"ZOMG 128 Super Mario's!"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:34:22 AM by Nintex »
🤴