Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3018261 times)

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #22680 on: September 19, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »
And I wake up to France passing a law allowing resale of digital goods. Whelp there goes the pay to “own” market, and indie game development entirely (lol musta jinxed myself last night.) hello everything is a subscription service, or free2play. Although this is gonna hit more than steam, iTunes apps? Amazon movies?  Hell even google stadia games you had to pay for. What about the in game MTXs? Wouldn’t skins / loot boxes / DLC count too? I can see every major company fighting this. Good thing I have a huge backlog if all the new games end up going south because of this.

Even the model for subs would tank triple a games. Now literally all the money publishers would make would be from the subscription payout and whatever MTXs they can loophole as not being resalable. I wouldn’t want to be a game dev waking up to this future.

Edit: wait a minute I’ve got it... If I ever make a game it’ll be a prepaid “subscription” for 5 cents a month for 40 years.
 :gaben :money
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:23:14 PM by ZombieSupaStar »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #22681 on: September 19, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »
Skins or cosmetics costing money but everything else is free is 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000% reasonable.

If you honestly find a purple and pink glow skin that makes a shotgun look like a dildo to be content you care about, you might as well just stop playing games and get checked out for OCD tendencies.
OH!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22682 on: September 19, 2019, 05:30:09 PM »
And plenty of games/genres are being retrofit to include those elements as well. In some ways for the better and in some ways for the worse.

I'm not saying some games can't benefit from them, I generally don't have an issue against turning Assassins Creed into an RPG lite. What I take issue with is how the game is balanced afterwards to accompany some sort of boosts, way more cosmetic unlockables for extra payment instead of as an reward for doing cool shit, stuff like that you know?

On me being hyperbolic, yeah I sorta assumed that point came across.
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22683 on: September 19, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »
the shit about fifa difficulty being changed to push players into spending money is some underhanded, pure nonsense shit. but sports games have kinda just turned into a wasteland of that kind of practice

Chooky

« Reply #22684 on: September 19, 2019, 06:06:34 PM »
we have more games, more availability, and more variety BY FAR than at any other time in gaming's history yet these rubes always manage to come in screaming about fucking ubisoft and ea games that they dont and wont ever play :lol  if you're not even interested in the product then shut up and go play one of the billion other games that suits your tastes jesus. mtx is for suckers but it's not a fucking ripoff if a game comes with 8 free horse armors and asks you to pay for the remaining twelve.

« Reply #22685 on: September 19, 2019, 06:32:25 PM »
we have more games, more availability, and more variety BY FAR than at any other time in gaming's history yet these rubes always manage to come in screaming about fucking ubisoft and ea games that they dont and wont ever play :lol  if you're not even interested in the product then shut up and go play one of the billion other games that suits your tastes jesus. mtx is for suckers but it's not a fucking ripoff if a game comes with 8 free horse armors and asks you to pay for the remaining twelve.

IT was YOU who bought the horse armor wasn't it! ..........WASNT IT!?!!!!!!!

:rage

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22686 on: September 19, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »
When a developer is transparent that a game is a 'service' game or something they will tweak as they go along and thus will support for many years I understand the need to sell skins, guns and more to keep the game interesting for players over a longer period of time, see Apex Legends of Rocket League. With multiple seasons of fighting games, in the end you get 'more game'. I remember playing old fighting games, thinking, you know what if they just added a few more characters to keep things fresh. I like that we're at a point where that is possible and something like Tekken 7 can be expanded upon over a longer period of time.

The spending in most games is entirely optional. Take Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I had a great time without paying a single cent beyond what I paid at retail.
And who knows, I like the game at some point I might buy some DLC too.

I don't feel the need to buy MTX for games I don't like so I only have a problem with it unless it completely ruins the experience and progression, like EA has done on occasion.
🤴

« Reply #22687 on: September 19, 2019, 07:23:07 PM »
When a developer is transparent that a game is a 'service' game or something they will tweak as they go along and thus will support for many years I understand the need to sell skins, guns and more to keep the game interesting for players over a longer period of time, see Apex Legends of Rocket League. With multiple seasons of fighting games, in the end you get 'more game'. I remember playing old fighting games, thinking, you know what if they just added a few more characters to keep things fresh. I like that we're at a point where that is possible and something like Tekken 7 can be expanded upon over a longer period of time.

The spending in most games is entirely optional. Take Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I had a great time without paying a single cent beyond what I paid at retail.

I don't feel the need to buy MTX for games I don't like so I only have a problem with it unless it completely ruins the experience and progression, like EA has done on occasion.

I will say depending on the game I would be ok with it, hypocritical yes but only to a degree. I would probably still be paying for Fallout New Vegas DLC to. this. day. Or Fallout 4 DLC that actually turns it into an RPG with like.... you know... ROLE PLAYING..... but stuff like "open your NCR crate #121235" for PHAT LEWT, or "Your Courier is exhausted and must rest for 12 hours, unless you buy a JET BOOST for .99c and get more play time now!" would be a pile of shit.

I dunno with my backlog on steam (hundreds and hundreds of games) or retro gaming in general I have enough games now to never need a new one, but Ive talked games for so long that I just take an extra interest in it more than I should.

OT: I Ive heard Odyssey is actually a good value on sale for the base game, and then the post launch content is good, ill probably grab it next time at 30, and at that price an xp booster purchase wouldn't be out of the question.

Chooky

« Reply #22688 on: September 19, 2019, 07:32:30 PM »

IT was YOU who bought the horse armor wasn't it! ..........WASNT IT!?!!!!!!!

:rage

gotta look good for the waifus

kingv

« Reply #22689 on: September 19, 2019, 09:35:16 PM »

Imo only ftp games have really outstanding post launch support. Even Overwatch, which is probably the best support on a fullnpriced game is not THAT impressive. It came out 4 years ago and in that time they released 9 maps and 9 heroes and that’s as good as it gets.

But compare that to like Warframe or even fort nite. It’s clear that free to play games do that shot because they have to and everyone else just puts a skeleton crew on it in hopes you pony up for some mtx.

Though, what’s the last major game that wasn’t a sports game that even has loot boxes?

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #22690 on: September 20, 2019, 01:16:46 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dat new Belmont :dead
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22691 on: September 20, 2019, 02:30:12 PM »
Simon Belmont as a buff catgirl nun?
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22693 on: September 20, 2019, 03:03:06 PM »

:whoo
dog

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #22694 on: September 20, 2019, 03:09:57 PM »
This puts her just below Simon on the Belmont Tiddy Tier List.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22695 on: September 20, 2019, 04:31:31 PM »
What

Svejk

« Reply #22696 on: September 20, 2019, 04:52:19 PM »
Got another check in the mail from the Sony PS3 "Other OS" Litigation for $3.02.    :wtf  Thought I got a check already like 5-6 years ago.  Is this excess compensation or something?  Really weird.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22697 on: September 21, 2019, 10:43:06 AM »
So did I and a couple friends did too, all for $3.02. Strange, but I'll take a free coffee on Sony :D

Svejk

« Reply #22698 on: September 21, 2019, 10:59:41 AM »
Supposed Last of us II release date leaked; February 28th, 2020

REEEEE has some box art and such from some Swiss online retailer
https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-the-last-of-us-part-ii-release-date-has-leaked-february-28th-2020.142318/

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22699 on: September 21, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »
Bought a 2060 Super as soon as it fell below 400€. My first Nvidia GPU. :omg Still a bit miffed about these prices in general, but - I am a weak man. Want muh toy. :'(

Now I just need Ryzen 3600 prices to fall a bit and then I'll be golden until this thing breaks.

kingv

« Reply #22700 on: September 21, 2019, 08:20:27 PM »
I can’t be more unexcited for last of us 2.

Partially because I think the first one is crazy overrated and partially because Sony’s first party stuff has been really lackluster this gen.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 09:09:54 PM by kingv »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #22701 on: September 21, 2019, 09:26:49 PM »
I can’t be more unexcited for last of us 2.

Partially because I think the first one is crazy overrated and partially because Sony’s first party stuff has been really lackluster this gen.

First game is an 8/10 game and 10/10 story for me. I’m excited for part 2 because it’s one of my favorite zombie/survival stories ever, so I’ll give gameplay a pass for not being anything special.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #22702 on: September 21, 2019, 10:45:05 PM »
Horizon disappointed me because its so close to being great but just ends up being okay. The combat and traversal killed any sort of motivation I had for playing it. It had the opposite problem Spider-Man had, where combat and traversal were just about the only good things about that game.

Bebpo

« Reply #22703 on: September 22, 2019, 12:07:33 AM »
/shrug, TLoU is probably one of the top 10 games of all time imo so I'm pretty ok with something that's more of the same but prettier/new story.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #22705 on: September 22, 2019, 05:46:33 AM »
Hi

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #22706 on: September 22, 2019, 06:30:19 AM »
So I have been having random freezes and crashes on games on my PC of late, decided just to nuke it in the end as can see all my components being fine.

The crashes always came back to weird registry issues so just went to 1903. But didn't back up control save file :goty2

Really annoying but the game is good enough for me to want to go back and play through again.

kingv

« Reply #22707 on: September 22, 2019, 08:29:25 AM »
Two Sony games are coming soon and one is some weirdo auteur shit that might suck but will at least be interesting to play through and talk about in Death Stranding. TLOU2 will just be another Amazon Prime tier B-show narrative with kinda mediocre gameplay linking together cut scenes, so can't say I'm the audience for that.

On the subject of Sony exclusives I actually really like their open world games as opposed to their linear cinematic shit aside from Days Gone (which I haven't played due to lack of interest). Horizon surprised the hell out of me in how much I liked it and Spider-Man was my favorite version of the character in a long time.

I really liked Spider-Man too... but I’m not sure how much of it’s I love the character vs the game is great.

I think the game is well-done but probably would be considered sort of forgettable without the license.

TLOU had some cool moments, but really underdeveloped gameplay. The stealth was pretty bad and the combat was pretty bad. The only parts I really liked was the part where you play as Ellie in the snow.

I’m not much of a naughty dog fan though.. I think they are a developer that makes really pretty games that are amazingly average otherwise.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22708 on: September 22, 2019, 11:09:04 AM »
Is Snatcher worth playing?
What

Chooky

« Reply #22709 on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »
yeah it's still fun. game is very easy to get into, has a silly but fun story, and is filled with tons of little quirks.

paprikastaude

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22711 on: September 23, 2019, 11:31:20 AM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22712 on: September 23, 2019, 02:53:29 PM »
lmao Google Play Pass

Ain't nobody got time for your piss pass google lmao
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22713 on: September 23, 2019, 09:03:24 PM »
Fight'N Rage, the best beat-em-up out today, is finally coming to consoles this week!
:rejoice

Out on 9/26!
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #22714 on: September 23, 2019, 09:08:04 PM »
Had a dream they made a crossover Sonic the Hedgehog vs. The Blair Witch game and Sonic had to escape the forest while the witch kept fucking with him changing the landscape and stuff.

Fight'N Rage, the best beat-em-up out today, is finally coming to consoles this week!
:rejoice

Out on 9/26!

I posted my thoughts in the other thread, but have mixed feelings on this. It's good, but it's way too long and the 2nd half is full of just fighting the same enemies as the first half so the length makes it kinda boring. I'd buy a directors cut that trims the campaign down into a tighter better beat-em-up. The combat & enemies are pretty good.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #22715 on: September 23, 2019, 10:18:13 PM »
The one image on that Batman thing is the Court of Owls insignia from Scott Snyder's run. Kinda bummed that it's a Batman game and something more along the lines of the Suicide Squad teaser in Arkham Origins never came about.

Especially considering Origins was so much better than Knight. :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #22716 on: September 23, 2019, 11:43:46 PM »
I do love that dumb game. Origins did a good Joker... unlike the others imo. Plus the detective/crime stuff was nearly a real step forward. The EPIC Christmas music was a fun Burton films like thing*. The batsuit looking like real armor he cobbled together.

Even the ending of that game was just such a stupid hardcore Batman fan service that I couldn't help but enjoy it:

City and Knight both seemed weirdly confused and had way too many villains being juggled.

[close]

bluemax

« Reply #22717 on: September 23, 2019, 11:55:46 PM »
I do love that dumb game. Origins did a good Joker... unlike the others imo. Plus the detective/crime stuff was nearly a real step forward. The EPIC Christmas music was a fun Burton films like thing*. The batsuit looking like real armor he cobbled together.

Even the ending of that game was just such a stupid hardcore Batman fan service that I couldn't help but enjoy it:

City and Knight both seemed weirdly confused and had way too many villains being juggled.

[close]

I totally forgot almost everything about this game. All I remember is Batman was a major dick to Alfred in it.
NO

kingv

« Reply #22718 on: September 23, 2019, 11:57:36 PM »
I think you can have a Batman game that’s a tour de force of villains... but you need to actually handle each one well. That’s where night fucked up. It’s like a game of ruined orgasms.

Tbh, I didn’t really like city as much as asylum either. I just don’t think the open world lived up to its shit that much.

Bebpo

« Reply #22719 on: September 24, 2019, 12:05:12 AM »
All 4 were pretty good for me.

Asylum was the best, but Knight looked amazing and was a ton of fun. I actually liked the driving. Origins had the best boss fights and City was just sorta good but not excelling at any one particular thing.

kingv

« Reply #22720 on: September 24, 2019, 12:06:30 AM »
I actually started replaying knight and think it’s a lot better now, but that’s mostly because I know to be disappointed with the bosses.

benjipwns

« Reply #22721 on: September 24, 2019, 12:22:26 AM »
I totally forgot almost everything about this game. All I remember is Batman was a major dick to Alfred in it.
Bane basically kills Alfred and Bruce screams and electrocutes him back to life :lol

The game really is written and structured more like a comic book arc than taking after the movies or whatever. Batman fights all these dudes coming into his city one by one, trying to figure out how Black Mask is organizing it all, then he confronts Black Mask but oops it's the Joker and it's all been this silly con by the Joker who just wants to mess with Batman. So they have an epic showdown in which Batman has to break his one rule instead of the Rocksteady epic showdowns of everyone takes Venom for some dumb reason. But Batman doesn't break his rule because he's Batman and he's got this.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:26:29 AM by benjipwns »

kingv

« Reply #22722 on: September 24, 2019, 12:40:01 AM »
Also you get to fuck up all of those assassins.

Only thing wrong with it is that the open world is worse than Arkham city in a lot of ways (I remember it being emptier), origins had game breaking bugs (which I never encountered honestly), and they kind of fucked up the timing in the fights. I remember people on GAF complaining about it, and playing it back to back with the other games you can feel it.

bluemax

« Reply #22723 on: September 24, 2019, 01:01:13 AM »
Bane basically kills Alfred and Bruce screams and electrocutes him back to life :lol

The game really is written and structured more like a comic book arc than taking after the movies or whatever. Batman fights all these dudes coming into his city one by one, trying to figure out how Black Mask is organizing it all, then he confronts Black Mask but oops it's the Joker and it's all been this silly con by the Joker who just wants to mess with Batman. So they have an epic showdown in which Batman has to break his one rule instead of the Rocksteady epic showdowns of everyone takes Venom for some dumb reason. But Batman doesn't break his rule because he's Batman and he's got this.

Oh right, doesn't this also have the bridge fight with Firefly? I remember being kinda bummed that it ended up being Joker AGAIN. Like they didn't manage to make one Batman game where he wasn't the end villain.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/nakamura193/status/1176345322974400512

The president of Sony re-tweeted. I remember some of you wondering about her recent thing leaving the game she was in charge of. Wonder if Sony is gonna give her the Kojima style "meet all our big studios and decide whose tech you want to use" tour. Or if I'm just reading too much into this.

Also you get to fuck up all of those assassins.

Only thing wrong with it is that the open world is worse than Arkham city in a lot of ways (I remember it being emptier), origins had game breaking bugs (which I never encountered honestly), and they kind of fucked up the timing in the fights. I remember people on GAF complaining about it, and playing it back to back with the other games you can feel it.

I don't remember experiencing any bugs when I played it. I remember it being a stripped down version of the world map from the previous game. Also was the Mr Freeze DLC this game or a different one? I remember liking that because it felt a bit more like Asylum with the constrained map.
NO

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #22724 on: September 24, 2019, 02:00:19 AM »
City was infinitely better than Asylum; wtf are you guys smoking?
每天生气

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22725 on: September 24, 2019, 07:01:32 AM »
Asylum was linear perfection. A metroidvania almost.

City is a completepy different game, and imo not as good.
What

Chooky

« Reply #22726 on: September 24, 2019, 07:46:28 AM »
City was infinitely better than Asylum; wtf are you guys smoking?

has to be nostalgia goggles. asylum was amazing back at release, but playing through it now it feels so simple and empty. you don't even fight more than three guys at once til near the end of the game, and most of the puzzles and stealth rooms are super easy.

meanwhile city picks up right where asylum left off and right from the beginning you're getting huge battles and challenging stealth rooms and whatnot. it's so much more satisfying to play.

Svejk

« Reply #22727 on: September 24, 2019, 08:03:15 AM »
Does Arkham City have 1989 or 2008 bat suits?

Edit:  Apparently not.  :larry   That's kind of a deal breaker for me.  Yeah, it's that important, and one of the critical, nostalgic boxes that gets a phat tick for me.  :doge 
 I like the Animated Series skin, but it looks so out of place in this detailed world. ..meh
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:45:45 AM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #22728 on: September 24, 2019, 12:34:51 PM »
Asylum’s probably nostalgia, but I remember it being a pretty tightly designed metroidvania formula game of getting new abilities to access new areas from a central hub with secrets spread throughout.

City felt kinda aimless. Sandbox for no reason than being a sandbox. Not a lot to do. And I didn’t like the story much.

Knight’s open world felt better to me because of the driving.

paprikastaude

« Reply #22729 on: September 24, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »
Asylum's Metroid approach was completely oversold by people. Game is extremely handholdey and linear. Also a prime example of a horrid finale muddying the entire experience. Like god damn, from gameplay to story context, it was next-level horrendous. Still a good game overall, but City was the formula's peak. It had a few shitty open world fetch quests, but overall it was a decent small map with good selfcontained levels, which made it feel more like Zelda. Then Knight was a by the numbers shallow open world game.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #22730 on: September 24, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »
Asylum was linear perfection. A metroidvania almost.

City is a completepy different game, and imo not as good.
Asylum is so overrated with this shit.
Linear perfection? Most of the backtracking was painfully boring, because the platforming is all automated in the game, and even the level design consisted in a whole lot of hopping from gargoyle to gargoyle or hide in the same two vents until the dumbass enemies forgot about you.

City shared most of those problems, but at least the more open nature gave you something to look at while traveling back to old areas, and improved basically every other aspect of the game.

City > Origins > Asylum > Knight.

EDIT: Spieler hadn't seen your post.  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22731 on: September 24, 2019, 03:08:28 PM »
Asylum's Metroid approach was completely oversold by people. Game is extremely handholdey and linear. Also a prime example of a horrid finale muddying the entire experience. Like god damn, from gameplay to story context, it was next-level horrendous. Still a good game overall, but City was the formula's peak. It had a few shitty open world fetch quests, but overall it was a decent small map with good selfcontained levels, which made it feel more like Zelda. Then Knight was a by the numbers shallow open world game.

Never got a "metroidvania" vibe from Asylum.  It's more like Resident Evil in terms of progression and back-tracking, although I've seen RE described as being "metroid-like" and I never agreed with that either.  The optional Riddler stuff is about the only thing that reminds of those games.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22732 on: September 24, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
Yusuke Hashimoto, the producer of Bayonetta and director of Bayonetta 2 who left Platinum Games back in February, has shared concept artwork “for an original project.” The artwork is illustrated by Tatsuya Yoshikawa, who has previously worked on character designs for the Breath of Fire and Devil May Cry series.

ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #22733 on: September 24, 2019, 05:19:17 PM »
The main issue I have with City is how poorly the map is laid out, the amount of travel required as the game goes on becomes just absurd, it's so bad it even affects Origins map so they added "fast" travel to try and reduce it.

I'm like 96% sure it's a technological issue with their busted ass "upgrade" of Unreal Engine, that's why it stupidly hooks at that angle to hide half of the map.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #22734 on: September 24, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »
wasn't sure if posted or to post here or in the zelda thread but  :pika

Island ID: npyrd8ZJVM

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22735 on: September 24, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »
Xbox Direct on, Outer Worlds news I guess?
https://www.twitch.tv/xbox

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22736 on: September 24, 2019, 06:17:24 PM »
game streaming preview this month: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-streaming/

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22738 on: September 24, 2019, 06:22:35 PM »
- dirt rally 2, cities skylines, and saints row 4 coming to pc game pass

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22739 on: September 24, 2019, 06:27:40 PM »
- dirt rally 2, cities skylines, and saints row 4 coming to pc game pass

Wooptifuckin doo

could last 5 minutes but grandpa nelson and that cringy dialogue my god never seen a "show" this fake and cringeworthy
What