Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3053984 times)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #29460 on: January 24, 2022, 07:00:33 PM »
Sinatra  :titus
Margs

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29461 on: January 24, 2022, 08:15:37 PM »
Its a well known fact that Sinatra was a big fan of videogames, so it does make sense
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29462 on: January 24, 2022, 10:02:20 PM »
I guess it was smart for the marketing to lean in into the general wtfness that the crap game looks to be awash in. Seems to be working.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29463 on: January 25, 2022, 02:57:11 AM »
Misheard the princess' line as "We must become vegans of hope."

Tasty

« Reply #29464 on: January 25, 2022, 09:14:41 AM »
Sinatra  :titus

Fucking Netflix too stingy to shell out for Eva yet Square out here making it rain for My Way... grumble...

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29465 on: January 25, 2022, 10:04:46 AM »
Sinatra? Between him and Tifa this week, FF continues to solidify its Italian fanbase.

FF1 has a ton of nostalgia for me, it was my fave game back in 1990 and my friends and I would play for hours. So I'm gonna treat this game as a parody of the 360 era with some FF1 flourishes and try to enjoy. Even the whole Sinatra reminds me of the 360 era when they would have an old adult-conteporary song playing over some total dudebro game (i.e. Gears of War "Mad World")
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:10:27 AM by tiesto »
^_^

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #29466 on: January 25, 2022, 02:10:47 PM »
Just discovered there is a Life Is Strange remaster, what the fuck, what an odd game to remaster :titus

Surely a res bump patch for the new consoles would have sufficed
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #29467 on: January 25, 2022, 02:25:20 PM »
Maybe it's actually just a Bugs Free edition.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29468 on: January 25, 2022, 03:00:10 PM »
Maybe they'll remaster the terrible writing.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29469 on: January 25, 2022, 03:14:46 PM »
It’s just not for you.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29470 on: January 25, 2022, 03:30:22 PM »
Repeat that to yourself in the Strangers of Paradise thread.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29471 on: January 25, 2022, 03:37:26 PM »
Maybe they'll remaster the terrible writing.

"Release the Krack-can!"
^_^

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Tasty

« Reply #29473 on: January 26, 2022, 12:52:55 AM »
And introducing The Rock as

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #29474 on: January 26, 2022, 02:22:45 PM »
ok gex up close is giving me the same vibes as this

Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #29476 on: January 26, 2022, 05:23:13 PM »
He's more of a Galoomba IMO.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #29477 on: January 26, 2022, 05:25:32 PM »
what if the video game movie is wwf smackdown! shut your mouth?  :sicko
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #29478 on: January 26, 2022, 05:32:00 PM »
what if the video game movie is wwf smackdown! shut your mouth?  :sicko

The Endgame we've been waiting for. :aah

EVERYONE IS HERE!!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29479 on: January 26, 2022, 06:38:48 PM »
Wait a minute, The Rock is bald. He's Lakitu, I'm sure of it.

He will be floating on a cloud throwing down Spikey's.
The Spikey's will be played by Alec Baldwin.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #29480 on: January 26, 2022, 06:45:25 PM »
ok gex up close is giving me the same vibes as this

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29481 on: January 26, 2022, 09:56:50 PM »
A few years ago I would have said "oh the rock in a good Gears movie is a fun idea".

Now I'd say "keep the rock away from gears".

paprikastaude

« Reply #29482 on: January 26, 2022, 11:02:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1486346402938736640

imagine giving a giant publisher money for this  :holeup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29483 on: January 26, 2022, 11:43:06 PM »
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #29484 on: January 26, 2022, 11:44:42 PM »
Even the best shots look like a Falcom game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29486 on: January 26, 2022, 11:46:42 PM »

Were Pokemon games ever known for their graphics, though?  The original barely had anything going on and looked basic even for a Gameboy game.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29487 on: January 26, 2022, 11:47:15 PM »
:whew

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #29490 on: January 27, 2022, 02:42:10 AM »
Yeah the gfx suck, but did they actually increase the difficulty in this one?

I only played one pokemon game before because an ex wanted to play it together and I thought it was surprisingly decent but until they make the single player mode with a hard mode that plays more like Shin Megami Tensei, it's just a boring game to play SP. The depth is there, as you see in the MP, but the single player doesn't touch any of the depth at all.

I just can't imagine people raving about a new pokemon game if it's still a zzzz SP mode.

BisMarckie

« Reply #29491 on: January 27, 2022, 05:39:12 AM »
Pokemon is a gateway drug to becoming a furry.

Svejk

« Reply #29492 on: January 27, 2022, 07:39:59 AM »
And people thought sonystans were little justifying bitches. :lol That shit needs to go back into the oven stat.  I could give two shits for a pokimunz, but as an open world game, how is that even remotely acceptable?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29493 on: January 27, 2022, 08:21:07 AM »
And people thought sonystans were little justifying bitches. :lol That shit needs to go back into the oven stat.  I could give two shits for a pokimunz, but as an open world game, how is that even remotely acceptable?

Looks fine to me from footage.  There's an area shown with a big lake and not much foliage that doesn't look so hot, but the rest is OK.

:idont

Again, when has the POKE-EE-MANS ever been about graphics anyway?  It's going to sell a bajillion copies regardless of how it looks.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #29494 on: January 27, 2022, 08:33:17 AM »

Looks fine to me from footage.  There's an area shown with a big lake and not much foliage that doesn't look so hot, but the rest is OK.

:idont

Again, when has the POKE-EE-MANS ever been about graphics anyway?  It's going to sell a bajillion copies regardless of how it looks.
True, but seems like a totally wasted opportunity and a bit of a gyp for such a popular franchise.  ..Like, they know the fans "don't care" about graphics (or what fans have been groomed to expect and think), so they don't treat the fans in any way other than 'tweaks' in gameplay.  This literally looks like it was made in Blender over the weekend.... and with a straight face, Nintendo will still charge $60 for this for years to come...   :yuck

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29495 on: January 27, 2022, 08:51:27 AM »
True, but seems like a totally wasted opportunity and a bit of a gyp for such a popular franchise.  ..Like, they know the fans "don't care" about graphics (or what fans have been groomed to expect and think), so they don't treat the fans in any way other than 'tweaks' in gameplay.  This literally looks like it was made in Blender over the weekend.... and with a straight face, Nintendo will still charge $60 for this for years to come...   :yuck

The Pokemon Company says:

People who have played the game say it's really good so dunno if there's going to be much complaining.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29496 on: January 27, 2022, 09:11:00 AM »

On the Vita.
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #29497 on: January 27, 2022, 09:19:28 AM »
People who have played the game say it's really good so dunno if there's going to be much complaining.
And a fair weather graphics whore like me can come off sounding nit picky, but at the same time... it's 2022.. My galaxy Note 5 could pull off a better open world rendering.  It's a double edge sword I suppose.

The Switch has Pokkén Tournament DX, Pokémon Quest, Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu' and 'Eevee', Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, Pokémon Sword' and 'Shield', Pokémon Café ReMix, New Pokémon Snap, Pokémon UNITE, and now Pokémon Legends: Arceus

And yet, only 2 Zelda's and 1 Metroid...   :shaking

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29498 on: January 27, 2022, 09:25:46 AM »
And a fair weather graphics whore like me can come off sounding nit picky, but at the same time... it's 2022.. My galaxy Note 5 could pull off a better open world rendering.  It's a double edge sword I suppose.

The Switch has Pokkén Tournament DX, Pokémon Quest, Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu' and 'Eevee', Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, Pokémon Sword' and 'Shield', Pokémon Café ReMix, New Pokémon Snap, Pokémon UNITE, and now Pokémon Legends: Arceus

And yet, only 2 Zelda's and 1 Metroid...   :shaking

Four Zeldas counting the two Hyrule Warriors games :bolo

Can't say it enough- it's Pokemon, bruh.  Nobody is playing these games for the visuals.  I typically wouldn't care at all about a new release but I'm interested in trying this new one.
ど助平

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29500 on: January 27, 2022, 02:18:48 PM »
I’m not a Pokemon fan and am not picking up this game so I don’t care.

But I don’t think it’s ridiculous to expect one of the biggest ips in the world, where installments easily sell 5+ million copies, to up its graphics, production values, and presentation now that it’s on a console.

Switch’s power isn’t an excuse. You have smaller teams doing more with less.

SMTV does have some graphics issues and I do think the presentation is kind of meh. But it also has tons of 3D animated demons complete with unique animations and even some with unique attacks.  For a Switch game it looks pretty decent.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29501 on: January 27, 2022, 02:41:34 PM »

But I don’t think it’s ridiculous to expect one of the biggest ips in the world, where installments easily sell 5+ million copies, to up its graphics, production values, and presentation now that it’s on a console.

Looks like they have done that in comparison to the handheld titles.  It's a simplistic, cartoony game.  I don't want to imply that they should just get a pass and there's always room for improvement, but this latest title seems to look noticeably better than Sword/Shield from gameplay footage. 
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29502 on: January 27, 2022, 03:03:24 PM »
Contenders,

We have made the difficult decision to end development of Hyper Scape and shut the game down as of April 28th. We set out to create a vertical, close-quarters, and fast-paced shooter experience and we are extremely grateful to our community for joining us on our journey. We will be taking key learnings from this game into future products.

To the Hyper Scape community, thank you for your passion and dedication to the world of Neo Arcadia both inside and outside of the game. Your devotion to the game we built will always be cherished.

Reach out to us if you have questions.

Sincerely, Hyper Scape

Ubisoft has shut down Hyper Scape less than 2 years after it launched :idont
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29503 on: January 27, 2022, 03:17:35 PM »

Looks like they have done that in comparison to the handheld titles.  It's a simplistic, cartoony game.  I don't want to imply that they should just get a pass and there's always room for improvement, but this latest title seems to look noticeably better than Sword/Shield from gameplay footage.
In my minds eye it doesn’t look that much better than Sword and Shield’s open area. Maybe it does, but that’s not really a high bar.

Tales of Vesperia was also a simple and cartoony game and looks loads more appealing.

It’s not even just the technical qualities. They could have gone all in on the cel shading or something to make up for the visuals. Are just some visual flourishes. As it is it looks like some b level Japanese open world game. Like Toukiden 2 or DW9 where they just look copy and paste big environments made in a day.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29504 on: January 27, 2022, 03:37:11 PM »
As it is it looks like some b level Japanese open world game. Like Toukiden 2 or DW9 where they just look copy and paste big environments made in a day.

So...it looks like a Pokemon game.   :doge

If you want to talk uglySwitch games, check out Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires.  Night and day when compared to this Pokemon game.

ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29505 on: January 27, 2022, 04:05:22 PM »
I don’t really agree with your premise.

Pokémon games were never about graphics.....but they were on handheld systems and looked pretty comparable to what was on the handhelds. I would actually say no, that they looked and felt like big games on the handhelds. Silver in general felt like a huge game and had great production values for something on a GB. I’ve only played I think Black and White after? A little bit of Ruby which I felt looked great for a GBA game. Black/White also looked fine for what was going on the DS. Those last 3DS game also looked the part.

But now these are console games and seemingly have not that transition well when it comes to to production values. You say “oh so it’s a Pokemon game” but that kind of misses the point. These are the first games of Pokemon meeting the HD era and before Let’s Go/Sword there weren’t any set standards of what a mainline Pokemon rpg would look like on an HD console. Now we’re are finally realizing those expectations are falling pretty short.

I don’t think Pokemon should look like some b level Japanese rpg and I don’t think they did when they were only on handhelds.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29506 on: January 27, 2022, 06:02:37 PM »
nah pokemon looks bad
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29507 on: January 27, 2022, 07:46:28 PM »
Pokemon is primarily a game for kids and the type of people that don't care about graphics or effort.
It's always 'just good enough' as there is also no viable competition.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29508 on: January 27, 2022, 08:01:46 PM »
Rahx, the Switch is a handheld.  Let's not forget that this is a 720P console that is capable of 1080P with the dock, but most games don't tend to go that high.

Am also going to pimp the mClassic™ again because it really can help make some Switch games look a lot better on TVs.

Pokemon is primarily a game for kids and the type of people that don't care about graphics or effort.
It's always 'just good enough' as there is also no viable competition.

I just think that all these games aimed at kids have this kind of simplistic, cartoony look, like Digimon.  Pokken, made by Bandai-Namco, wasn't a visual showcase either. 
ど助平

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #29509 on: January 27, 2022, 09:06:00 PM »
Yeah the gfx suck, but did they actually increase the difficulty in this one?

I only played one pokemon game before because an ex wanted to play it together and I thought it was surprisingly decent but until they make the single player mode with a hard mode that plays more like Shin Megami Tensei, it's just a boring game to play SP. The depth is there, as you see in the MP, but the single player doesn't touch any of the depth at all.

I just can't imagine people raving about a new pokemon game if it's still a zzzz SP mode.

no, it's a total cakewalk. it is about collecting the pokemons, to which there is some small amount of difficulty but the main quest scenarios and "combat" is about as basic as it gets. it's a very good game, internal res upscaled on my pc in ryujinx it actually looks pretty nice a lot of the time, really nice animations, but the combat is threadbare at best. the game is about exploring and "catching them all" and that's done really well. some of the optional battles can be a little difficult, but not really.

even though the game's for kids, it's a little insulting it's this easy. my first jrpgs were breath of fire 3 and ff7 when i got a psx in 97 when i was 9. i played pokemon after those (3rd ever jrpg i think) when i got a GBC and it wasn't hard, but i don't think gen 1 was a total walkover. last pokemon i played before Legends was Black and that was also not a total cakewalk and pretty fun i think, but i didn't really think about it that much. legends is cool though, you can have some good battles when density of monsters is high. can get ambushed by 3 pokemon etc. not sure if more, my max has been 3. feel like they could improve the story battles a lot though. they feel like an afterthought.
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29510 on: January 27, 2022, 09:06:51 PM »
The Switch is also an HD console with Monster Hunter Rise, Shin Megami Tensei 5, Ports of Dying Light and the Witcher 3, Xenoblade, Dragon Quest XI, Monster Hunter Stories, Astral Chain, and so on.

I don’t think the Switch is the problem.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #29511 on: January 27, 2022, 09:08:54 PM »
The Switch is also an HD console with Monster Hunter Rise, Shin Megami Tensei 5, Ports of Dying Light and the Witcher 3, Xenoblade, Dragon Quest XI, Monster Hunter Stories, Astral Chain, and so on.

all of those devs have been working on big 3d mainline projects for decades
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29512 on: January 27, 2022, 09:15:14 PM »

Time and budget should be afforded to one of the biggest ips in the world.

Edit-Missread, but your Nintendo and its Pokemon, get help then. You had Monolith help with Zelda( a game that also looks better if only because of the art direction). or a company like Hexadrive, you have no problem outsourcing.  You have unlimited resources.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #29513 on: January 27, 2022, 09:15:26 PM »

Most of those games put together haven’t made as much money as a single Pokémon game either.
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #29514 on: January 27, 2022, 09:51:06 PM »
Since it's been brought up, Monster Hunter Rise is amazing. Super polished and just insane amounts of fun.

Sunbreak should be out soon too. :heartbeat

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29515 on: January 27, 2022, 10:26:47 PM »
Popular game does not meet my personal tastes
 :esports
Spud

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29516 on: January 27, 2022, 10:35:20 PM »
More like popular game that makes millions has a budget of $5.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And has legions of fans that defend it
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29517 on: January 27, 2022, 10:36:16 PM »

And out of those, Monster Hunter Stories 2 is in the same vein as Pokemon.

They look kinda similar to me.  Same simple style and detail.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29518 on: January 27, 2022, 10:39:14 PM »

Also I mean you can find better screens of Stories 2 than that, but yeah that looks a lot better. More color, vibrant, actually looks like a cartoon and warm inviting game.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 10:43:43 PM by Rahxephon91 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29519 on: January 27, 2022, 11:21:35 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Also I mean you can find better screens of Stories 2 than that, but yeah that looks a lot better. More color, vibrant, actually looks like a cartoon and warm inviting game.

It looks "a lot better" because one screenshot is much better quality than the other.  Look at the grass blades and the trees in the background- pretty low detail on both games.

And that's a screenshot of Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U, not one of the Switch games.
ど助平