Author Topic: Random talk thread: It just keeps happening  (Read 3364169 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Random talk thread: It just keeps happening
« Reply #36420 on: May 14, 2023, 05:38:46 AM »
Anyone else not able to read quote posts without going back where the original post is?
no

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #36421 on: May 14, 2023, 05:41:20 AM »
me niether

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36422 on: May 16, 2023, 12:24:06 AM »
As I’m stuck moving between hotel fitness centers, where if I’m lucky at least have 20kg dumbbells, I’ve used this setback to take up running and cardio again. Stamina and endurance are embarrassingly bad. First time post-20s I feel old and decrepit. Kinda depressing but not listen to my friends and take supplements to compensate depressing. But listening to Hearts on Fire isn’t working like it used to.

Stick with it. Cardio will clear up some of that sadness once the endorphins start flying. If you're truly decrepit, try an elliptical or stationary bike. Better for your knees.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #36423 on: May 17, 2023, 10:15:33 AM »
The scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

To make a customized sauce, consumers will use the touchscreen to select a base of either ketchup, ranch, 57 Sauce or BBQ sauce; add in “enhancers” that include jalapeno, smoky chipotle, buffalo and mango; and set one of three intensity levels.

Alan Kleinerman, head of disruption at Kraft Heinz, told CNBC his favorite combination is ranch dressing, with a heavy dose of jalapeno and a lighter infusion of smoky chipotle. But a dark horse — mango ketchup — generated the most buzz around Kraft Heinz’s office recently, he said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/17/kraft-heinz-remix-customizable-sauce-dispenser.html
:O

Snoopycat_

« Reply #36424 on: May 17, 2023, 09:32:49 PM »
I was standing at some traffic lights and choked on a swig of water. I tried to hold it in which resulted in me coughing and spraying water through my fist across the back of this guy's shirt. It was a bit embarrassing.

Bebpo

« Reply #36425 on: May 19, 2023, 02:04:39 AM »
Had my first passive aggressive neighbor situation.

So on the last page or so here I posted a photo of my blue lantern front door light that came with the house. It flickers like a candle and lights the section of the street in a blue flame.

Well I had hardly ever used it, but I was there on Tuesday night at like 9-10pm picking up mail with a friend and I wanted to show them the blue light thing and turned it on for like 5 mins while I grabbed some stuff from the house.

I didn't go to the house on Wednesday, I normally go there daily since I'm dealing with a million contractors and that was probably the first day I skipped since I bought it. But when I was there first thing in the morning on Thursday to meet my first of 4 contractors for the day there, the light was gone. The fixture was there but someone had come and just unscrewed the light bulb and left with it.

Since no one would have any fucking idea the lightbulb in my front light fixture which is never on during the day and has only been on like twice in the last 3 weeks is anything special and worth taking; the only people who would know that would be like my 3 neighbors on each side and across from me.

I'm assuming someone hated that light when the previous owner used it and was hoping myself, as the new owner, would toss it, but after I turned it on Tuesday night they saw the blue flame they hate and decided when no one was around to just come and take it.

If I was petty I'd go online and buy the same blue flickering candle light and put it in the front light fixture and start leaving it on each night and put a camera in and see if someone comes back and takes it.

Buuut, starting a new place with a neighbor fight is a bad idea so I'll just move on and put a basic bitch lightbulb in.

Bebpo

« Reply #36426 on: May 19, 2023, 02:27:46 AM »
Also since I haven't posted in a while. Latest updates are:

New house:

-Still trying to fix the core foundational/drainage/mold issues which are expensive and difficult for experts to fix. House never had any drainage put in, ever. Just hid everything with giant walls of soil against the wall.

-Still have a dozen+ issues to fix, every day something is fixed and something new is discovered.

-Paid a lot of money with my general contractor and they did a 95% great job but they really fucked up a thing that I discovered after paying them the completion bit, so supposedly they will fix it but we'll see. They put in a door to a garage and uh, it doesn't seal (which is kind of bad for a door to a garage), and they couldn't put in a deadbolt because the hole was irregular size and the handle lock doesn't fit in the strike part so there is no way to lock the door into your house currently. The seal thing is kind of the bad thing since doors are supposed to seal with the jam they come with...may need to replace the whole thing.

-Literally had a handyman spend 5 hours trying to get a replacement single sprinkler to shoot in the right direction and not at the house and the mold/drainage areas. He gave up and will "watch more videos tonight and come back in the morning"  :awesome

My Condo:

-Got the place painted and the drywall/mold below my skylight fixed. But the painters fucking TRASHED my place. Like destroyed every carpet, dining table, paint on every appliance, paint on cabinets, paint on granite counters, paint on window screens. They painted a door closed and the paint dried and the door was stuck and I had to do a SWAT style door kick to break the paint to get it open and there's a crack now. Had to throw out my toaster over because got paint dust/debris in the fucking toaster in parts that are impossible to clean and I'm not eating my bagel with painted paint dust toppings.

-I moved out while it was painted and gave it a couple of days but I'm back now and the paint smell is still so strong ugh. Windows been open 24/7 all week but we're having a crazy monsoon humid week or two and it's like 84% humidity outside and leaving the windows open means the inside of my place is unbearably humid and that the paint is taking forever to cure because it's too wet and humid. Running dehumidifiers but they're slow and don't work unless I close up the windows and then it smells heavy like paint. This sucks.

-Was working with plumbers today and lots of issues, my pressure is way too high but no way to regulate it without spending a lot to rebuild my entire water main (which I just had to do at the other house because the water main was leaking and it was $400 to rebuild). It's 70 PSI and everything hammers, toilets whistle, pipes squeak, and I put in a new sink faucet and it explodes so hard it splashes the entire floor and counter unless it's barely on. Probably just going to spend the $400 to rebuild the main with a pressure regulator. Also found out my dishwasher is not up to code because no loop or air gap to prevent sewage backups and the main line may have had a backup in the past with bacteria in the line still and to fix it need to pull the dishwasher except the 40 year old dishwasher was tiled in when the place was built so can't do that without jackhammering the tile out of the kitchen :|

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure by the time I fix the new house I'll be in it more than market and that's "if" I can actually fix the drainage/mold/health issues enough to make it liveable.

And my condo still doesn't have AC. My guy is slow as hell and maybe in two weeks I'll have a new mold free unit and he'll run some bleach in my AC Ducts for a half day, the ducts which I discovered were built into the walls 40 years ago and there is no way to ever change the 40 year old deteriorating AC ducts here. Hopefully that will keep the air mold free.

My condo is also currently a fucking mess between half packing and moving all the furniture away from walls to get the place painted and the painter trashing it and plumbers making a mess in the kitchen and laundry area and the whole place reeking of paint.

I don't sleep much anymore between work and constantly at both places with contractors most of the day. Just sucks not having a place that's a non-mess to stay at the end of the day. If I can get my new AC unit in my condo and eventually this paint cures, and uh replace all the fucked carpet, and rebuild the water main and lower the PSI and get a working sink faucet again, I guess my condo should be chill again. If the new house can ever get shit fixed, will probably move there since I'll be in over what it's worth I think and if it's actually fixed it's a solid house with some quirks.

Bebpo

« Reply #36427 on: May 19, 2023, 02:34:27 AM »
But yeah, definitely what you don't want to come back to after having your house painted:

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36428 on: May 19, 2023, 04:12:32 AM »
You should definitely take a shit on your neighbours doorstep. That's the alpha move. Establish dominance early.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #36429 on: May 19, 2023, 04:53:55 AM »
Not for nothing but where are you getting these "contractors" Special needs trades section? Tik Tok?  What you want to do is grab that painter by the scruff of his neck, drag him to the spot where he did his mess and rub his face in it.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #36430 on: May 19, 2023, 05:07:56 AM »
If I was petty I'd go online and buy the same blue flickering candle light and put it in the front light fixture and start leaving it on each night and put a camera in and see if someone comes back and takes it.

Buuut, starting a new place with a neighbor fight is a bad idea so I'll just move on and put a basic bitch lightbulb in.

You know exactly what you need to do, but won't? What they did isn't "passive aggressive" and you ought to find who this person is so you know who to protect yourself from in the future. If they're willing to do this just because they want to, what next.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #36431 on: May 19, 2023, 05:25:49 AM »
 :hesright

what happens next time they don't like something about your house? they're gonna keep punking you forever like this.

sounds like you need to hire a couple guys like me and trashy to get your dirty deeds done dirt cheap  8)

Snoopycat_

« Reply #36432 on: May 19, 2023, 05:45:47 AM »
Wasn't there an episode of Curb where Larry got a massive light and shone it on his neighbour's windows?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36433 on: May 19, 2023, 05:54:51 AM »
Bebsy, pls. consider taking that contractor to court for damages. I’ve never seen such egregious bullshit.

james

« Reply #36434 on: May 19, 2023, 10:54:44 AM »
Are your contractors white? Get some good mexicans

Bebpo

« Reply #36435 on: May 19, 2023, 12:42:07 PM »
The contractors I'm using for painting are actually pretty big shot ones friends and family use who do work for fortune 500 companies and stuff.

They have like 80 employees and multiple teams running at once and it's clear some teams are better than others.
The team that did my new house didn't leave a speck of paint anywhere in the entire house. They cleaned up really well.
The team that did my condo left it like a total disaster.

They came back and are cleaning it up now (outside the carpet which is just fucked until I replace the carpet at some point).

Are your contractors white? Get some good mexicans

Nah, almost all mexican.

Bebpo

« Reply #36436 on: May 19, 2023, 12:43:07 PM »
And even if I wanted to take a dump on a neighbors porch, I don't know for sure which neighbor it was that stole my light, so...

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #36437 on: May 19, 2023, 12:46:18 PM »
Rookie stuff. Shit on all three and leave a note that says "this is because you stole my light". The one who knocks on your door is the one who stole it.

Bebpo

« Reply #36438 on: May 19, 2023, 02:28:57 PM »

They did a good job on the clean up (besides the carpet and toaster oven I had to toss). It's like they forgot to have their clean up guy come at the end on my condo job. Though I guess with the carpet they just figured I was replacing the carpet before I sell it so they could trash it. Idk.

I'm down to speed up getting my carpet replaced but not sure if they can do it in my bedroom because the bed frame is huge and takes up 1/4th of the room and you can't move it out of the room without sawing it apart. Was planning on carpeting after moving...

Bebpo

« Reply #36439 on: May 19, 2023, 02:41:17 PM »
The front of the new house is driving me nuts though.

At first it just seemed like the side of the house was a disaster since there's no drainage and the area floods and floods into the crawlspace. But the solution to that one is easy, just build a drainage channel pipe along the side of the house.

But the front of the house in front of the bedrooms has black mold because there was a planter area full of plants and wet soil packed high. Cleared out all the soil and plants but shit is constantly muddy wet. We even graded the soil slope away from the house which sort of worked but not entirely.

It's also right in the shade so it almost never gets any sun so it takes forever to dry as well.

The drip lines are off
Then discovered sprinklers were turning and shooting into there so fixed that
Then discovered water main was leaking and keeping a lake of water in the soil under it so rebuilt the water main
Then discovered a broken sprinkler pipe was running under it flooding the soil with wet water, so fixed that
Then discovered several of the sprinkler valves were drip leaking into pools of water below them so working on that along with the rest of the broken sprinklers that flood the front at several places.

Then if all that is fixed, still have the rain gutter drainage issue where two of the roof rain gutter downspouts just dump everything into this planter soil row. So need to redo the gutters.

Then if the rain stops getting into the front planter
And if all the leaky broken pipes which seem like every.goddamn.pipe.in.this.1950s.house are fixed

Then if that planter still looks wet and muddy there's something else going on
But if it ever actually becomes dry some day, can tell the soil to fuck off and just put concrete brickers/pavers over it to keep the few feet from the bedroom windows dry and non-black-mold-forming.

It's just a long process. My handyman is still working today, I have a sprinkler repair company coming on Monday if he can't fix the current issues he's working on and the valve leaks, and I have a drainage design expert company coming in a couple of weeks to plan out new rain gutters and drainage situations.

We were thinking of running a drain pipe along the front of the walled patio inner side to collect all the water and connect the pipe to the one we'll build on the side and dump it all at the street, but if I end up doing like bricks/pavers in that area that won't fly so need to figure it out.

Something like this would be good:

Also if I put artificial grass in the front lawn I can get rid of/shutoff my front sprinklers entirely, which would be nice since they seem to all be busted and leaky and I don't even want to see my first water bill with every pipe leaking.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #36440 on: May 19, 2023, 02:47:41 PM »
You can probably get that paint out of the carpet with detergent, water and a brush. Or at the very least lighten it to the point where it's not noticeable.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36441 on: May 19, 2023, 03:00:30 PM »
And even if I wanted to take a dump on a neighbors porch, I don't know for sure which neighbor it was that stole my light, so...
...so do all three. It's what your primal ancestors would have wanted. ESTABLISH DOMINANCE!!!!
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #36442 on: May 19, 2023, 03:16:55 PM »
What I'm learning with house stuff is that it's slow and expensive and takes up all your time to get stuff fixed when you have a backlog of repairs to take care of and it's not just 1 or 2 things.

Just totaled where I'm at on repair costs and my condo, if I include the $7k I need for my new AC unit I'm about $13k in on repairs and still need to do the carpet, bathtub re-plastering and fixtures if I wanted to sell it. Maybe put some vinyl (ugh) flooring on tile in my living room because who the fuck wants dark grey tile in their living room.

On my house I'm already $21k in on repairs and uh, I still need to build an entire drainage system, re-landscape at least part of the lawn, re-do most the house's electricity, put in new AC and AC Ducts, remove a few stalks of dead bamboo and build something in their place in the gap in the treeline, redo the lighting in the house, take care of some chimney issues, crawlspace/foundation issues, kitchen minor stuff, some plumbing stuff in bathrooms, and then maybe paint the front of the house, also need to discover the problem with the sewer monster in the back and no idea what we will discover or the costs to fix.

Pretty sure it's going to take me $100k to get this place into a moveable/sellable condition. Oh shoot and forgot I have to re-roof the entire place. So yeah $100k may be tight. Might end up closer to like $120-130k. This is without any major update remodels like redoing the kitchen or moving walls or anything. This is mostly just repairs to get it into turn-key sale state.

Which isn't as bad as I feared as long as it doesn't balloon that much over that or certain major issues end up unsolvable. I figured I bought the house about $100k under market last month, although with the most recent fed rate hike I'm starting to see house prices start to fall in my area finally, so maybe I bought in the absolute peak month of the market. Anyhow, $100k would put me about what I think a fixed version of the house is worth. Was budgeting about $50k for repairs initially before discovering all the real problems.

I also have zero furniture so I needed to budget to fill out a small house and moving costs.

I wouldn't be surprised if I end up like $1.15M->$1.2M into on a house worth about $1.05-$1.1M by that point (and if I sold I'd lose $50k in commissions so would net like $1M).

But if all the major shit is fixed and it's liveable I'll just live there for a bunch of years and hopefully be able to break about even when I sell it. I don't think I'll have any issues selling my condo since the lower end of the market is still doing pretty well as people are turning more to nice turn-key condos over houses at these prices.

But if major stuff can't be fixed in the new house, will have to stay at my condo (fine) and sell the new house and probably will lose about $100k-$200k which would suck hard and would just have to save that up again and hope the market is better by the time I'm back at the same financial home purchasing spot.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #36443 on: May 19, 2023, 05:13:52 PM »
The thing about these big agencies is they’re not exactly fussed about who they hire. They’ll say they hire the best but that’s bullshit. The best are either independent or employed full time by companies. They wouldn’t accept the wages  agencies offer. My best advice is go local if you can. Especially if house flipping is something you are looking to do regularly. If you can build a good relationship with a small team of independents you’ll save a fortune and you’ll have a lot less headaches in the long run.

Bebpo

« Reply #36444 on: May 19, 2023, 07:36:03 PM »
The thing about these big agencies is they’re not exactly fussed about who they hire. They’ll say they hire the best but that’s bullshit. The best are either independent or employed full time by companies. They wouldn’t accept the wages  agencies offer. My best advice is go local if you can. Especially if house flipping is something you are looking to do regularly. If you can build a good relationship with a small team of independents you’ll save a fortune and you’ll have a lot less headaches in the long run.

The thing is that this painter guy was originally a small guy and friends and family have been using him for 20 years, but now he has 80 employees and he's the biggest painter in this area of So Cal.

His prices are also pretty competitive and reasonable. Not like price gouging or anything. And he's out at the site every day or two and hands on.

To be fair, my real estate agent from the last house I almost bought told me when things went wrong during the inspection like the brand new dishwasher flooded the brand new flip kitchen, that no matter what contractors you use, stuff will go wrong. There's just enough parts to things that people make mistakes and mess stuff up. But you can who are the good contractors by the ones who are dependable to come back and fix those things and make it right.

And these guys are fixing all the stuff and making it right outside a couple of things. If I wasn't planning on replacing my carpet I'd be pissed, but at the end they didn't charge me to paint my small kitchen at my condo (because I told them not to paint it, so it wasn't in the price estimate, and also was why I didn't clear out some appliance from the kitchen counter like my toaster oven, because they weren't supposed to be painting in there), so I got that for free, but they ruined a $130 toaster and a window screen I need to replace, so it probably evens out.

Bebpo

« Reply #36445 on: May 19, 2023, 07:37:33 PM »
Oh and my handyman fixed the sprinkler today that he was stuck on for 5 hours yesterday.

He called their customer service and apparently the instructions on the sprinkler package were reversed and it was the opposite that he needed to be doing to set the spray arc. He said they apologized to him.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #36446 on: May 19, 2023, 08:11:19 PM »
I thought beb's was jewish  ???

how are you being taken for your money so easily?  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #36447 on: May 20, 2023, 12:09:54 AM »
I thought beb's was jewish  ???

how are you being taken for your money so easily?  :doge

I only went to Jewish school until I was 13.

I think they teach the money saving secrets after that. I just learned how to read some old fables and sing the songs of my people.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36448 on: May 25, 2023, 07:03:54 AM »
Thinking of you tonight @filler. I'm out seeing the band Unto Others and there's a bunch of big tiddy goth girls who are right up your alley.
Spud

james

« Reply #36449 on: May 25, 2023, 01:37:24 PM »
Pics?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #36450 on: May 25, 2023, 03:41:55 PM »
Thinking of you tonight @filler. I'm out seeing the band Unto Others and there's a bunch of big tiddy goth girls who are right up your alley.
I like mine with small tiddies and thick thighs tbh  :drool

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36451 on: May 25, 2023, 04:59:06 PM »
Pics?
Only a small crowd so no way to take pics without looking like a creep. I love filler, and support his degeneracy, but not that much.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 09:33:06 PM by Potato »
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #36452 on: May 26, 2023, 06:54:49 PM »
Not for nothing but Tom Ford have taken legal action against Maison Alhambra, so you might want to jump on Ebay if you’re looking for a cheap clone. I recommend Lovely Cherie and Bright Peach.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #36453 on: May 27, 2023, 01:09:04 AM »
I'm going to the wrong shows :stahp

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36454 on: May 27, 2023, 03:10:05 AM »
https://www.moshtix.com.au/v2/event/unto-others-us-australian-debut-sold-out/147646
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #36455 on: May 27, 2023, 10:18:52 AM »
There was a gym along the road. It was one of those vastly overpriced health and wellness types that catered to housewives and accountants. I walked past it the other day and they’ve painted the entire front black and red. Changed the name of it to The Colosseum and slapped a gold outline of a Spartan helmet over the entrance. I imagine they’re trying to get the MMA crowd but it literally looks like a gay nightclub from the 70s. They could call it The Leather Pony and that wouldn’t make it any gayer than it already is. Now I’m curious to see what the new customers look like. My hope is that it’s a mixture of very confused MMA bring it to the max rarrrrghhh bros, and middle aged leather daddies in skimpy shorts

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #36456 on: May 27, 2023, 10:44:02 AM »

are they big now? i liked their whole typo o negative thing but felt like their album lost a bit of steam by the end.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36457 on: May 27, 2023, 05:13:27 PM »
Not huge, but gaining a decent enough following to tour internationally.
Spud

remy

« Reply #36458 on: May 28, 2023, 04:59:52 AM »
https://www.moshtix.com.au/v2/event/unto-others-us-australian-debut-sold-out/147646
Theyre actually playing in Melbourne tonight but I've already committed to something else. might check the tunes tho I like type-o

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36459 on: May 28, 2023, 05:28:58 AM »
Definitely worth checking out if you like Type O. Different styles, but similar goth feel.
Spud

remy

« Reply #36460 on: May 29, 2023, 07:47:03 AM »
Definitely worth checking out if you like Type O. Different styles, but similar goth feel.
Yeah I see what what you mean, the goth stuff is still there but it's a bit more capital M Metal than type-o which was floating around a bunch of genres under the goth banner. Pretty cool though. I've put on both mana and strength and both records seem pretty decent. I have a mate who would be way into these guys if he knew they existed

Polident Hive

« Reply #36461 on: May 29, 2023, 09:07:14 AM »
There was a gym along the road. It was one of those vastly overpriced health and wellness types that catered to housewives and accountants. I walked past it the other day and they’ve painted the entire front black and red. Changed the name of it to The Colosseum and slapped a gold outline of a Spartan helmet over the entrance. I imagine they’re trying to get the MMA crowd but it literally looks like a gay nightclub from the 70s. They could call it The Leather Pony and that wouldn’t make it any gayer than it already is. Now I’m curious to see what the new customers look like. My hope is that it’s a mixture of very confused MMA bring it to the max rarrrrghhh bros, and middle aged leather daddies in skimpy shorts

Guys are easy to pander to. A wrestler made a yoga program aimed at secure heterosexual men. Same exact poses and all. He just changed names to be macho. So Chair Pose becomes Sitting in a Fast Car with Babes. Forward Fold is Rambo Picking Up a Bear Trap. Downward Dog is Straight Downward Dog. And it’s a successful program.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36462 on: May 29, 2023, 03:52:42 PM »
Yeah I see what what you mean, the goth stuff is still there but it's a bit more capital M Metal than type-o which was floating around a bunch of genres under the goth banner. Pretty cool though. I've put on both mana and strength and both records seem pretty decent. I have a mate who would be way into these guys if he knew they existed
Really cool blokes as well. No airs and graces at all.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #36463 on: May 30, 2023, 11:23:51 AM »
Springsteen’s playing Murrayfield tonight. Should be alright although he’s getting on a bit so not expecting him to be gyrating on a silver piano or riding about in a tank like Beyonce

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #36464 on: May 30, 2023, 10:47:07 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #36465 on: June 05, 2023, 08:57:14 PM »
locking my thread is a bad vibe tbh  :delicious

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36466 on: June 16, 2023, 05:14:24 AM »
I like mine with small tiddies and thick thighs tbh  :drool
:respect

Bebpo

« Reply #36467 on: June 29, 2023, 03:55:10 PM »
Is it weird that it took like 20 years to make a USB standard that didn't have sides? Like 20 years of people constantly trying to plug things in the wrong way and having to flip it.

Was it really that hard to design a cable that didn't have sides to it?

james

« Reply #36468 on: June 29, 2023, 05:16:38 PM »
Is it weird that it took like 20 years to make a USB standard that didn't have sides? Like 20 years of people constantly trying to plug things in the wrong way and having to flip it.

American power plugs used to work any way and a few years ago they did the opposite and made one bigger so only one side fits

:fbm

Bebpo

« Reply #36469 on: June 29, 2023, 08:08:03 PM »

American power plugs used to work any way and a few years ago they did the opposite and made one bigger so only one side fits

What

So it's not just my imagination all this time...

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36470 on: July 01, 2023, 05:33:37 AM »
Great, my external HDD died after 12 years. Goodbye porn collection accumulated over the years
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36471 on: July 01, 2023, 10:39:06 AM »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36472 on: July 04, 2023, 06:18:04 PM »
Still working on fixing my disaster of home purchase 2.5 months ago with all my free time. So much shit inspector and everyone missed.

Been trying to pin down smells in the house through plastic wrap sealing off rooms at a time. Finally discovered through the help of the gas company (who had come out once when the gas was turned on and checked for leaks) one of the smells in the house is because the oven range has a major leak (which they missed because when they checked before they didn't check BEHIND the stove and the leak was at the regulator) and has been leaking gas into the house. COOL. All those times I've spent hours in there with the windows closed has surely been great for my already poor health. The fireplace has holes in the bottom?

Don't think that's normal? From google it seems like it's an ash trap but that should be a closed lid not open? Having the chimney finally cleaned and inspected on Thursday. The chimney has always looked all fucked up and blackened like there was an ash fire at some time in the past? Hope that isn't a major expense to fix any big structural items. Also hope can repair the oven because the space its in is for a 36" oven and that will cost about $3,500 to replace if I have to replace the whole thing.

Drainage, foundation, front yard, back yard, trees, plumbing lines, lighting, exterior wall damage, doors, flooring, smells, fixtures, AC, etc... everything's been problematic and fixed a bit at a time.

Like eventually when it's done I could live in it but I just don't trust this place at all. Like buying a lemon car. I am really really hoping I can get this on market in a few weeks with the last few fixes and either lose money, break even or get money, but at this point I don't give a shit if I lose a bunch of money I just want this to be a distant memory and move on with my life.

The worst thing for resale too is when most of your money is fixing stuff that was broke you can't even list it as an upgrade in the sale. It's not like "the house has been upgraded with this or that" and you can't list it as "the house was broken as fuck and has been fixed", so instead of 1:1 money put into upgrades adding to the sale price it's 1:0 in that all the money spent on fixes don't increase it a cent. Luckily did some actual upgrades which should bring good returns to the house value in a sale to offset the money spent on repairs.

2023's been total shit for me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 06:23:01 PM by Bebpo »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36473 on: July 04, 2023, 06:54:36 PM »
It looks like it was decayed and then poorly repaired.
🤴

james

« Reply #36474 on: July 04, 2023, 09:14:13 PM »
I dont understand why you havent sued the inspectors

Bebpo

« Reply #36475 on: July 04, 2023, 09:32:24 PM »

Costs more than you get.

Though I guess I’ll see how much fixing the fireplace/chimney will cost.

james

« Reply #36476 on: July 04, 2023, 10:33:35 PM »

Costs more than you get.

Though I guess I’ll see how much fixing the fireplace/chimney will cost.

Wouldnt it be worth it to feel good though?

Bebpo

« Reply #36477 on: July 04, 2023, 10:38:35 PM »
Though real talk answer is that generally you can't sue your home inspector because home inspectors make mistakes all the time and their contract limit their liability. To find them negligent it would have to be something egregious that every inspector would find. But like, going by this article, in  test of 12 inspectors at the same house in this article, half missed the same stuff.

https://www.homelight.com/blog/buyer-suing-home-inspector/

And to sue the seller you have to prove that they knew about these defects. It's even fishier in my case because the seller didn't live there, it was their son, so the seller had no first hand knowledge of anything at the property. You have to prove they knew or should have known about something.

How do you prove they knew about a gas leak, or stuff under the foundation, or broken sprinkler heads, or water leaks in pipes, or maybe they never used the fireplace and never knew there were big issues in it (if the inspection turns them up)?

Even if you do sue them you have to spend 2-3 years in court to get a judgment and then try to chase them down to collect and if it's an LLC (it is) they may just file bankruptcy.

Since this was my first big home purchase in my lifetime I went into this figuring the system worked. That if you got a good home inspection they'd find everything at issue and you just fix those and you're good.

Well I learned that is a recipe for disaster if you are unlucky. There's always going to be some luck involved because a lot about a house can be hidden behind paint, under floors, behind appliances, buried in outdoor soil, etc... but basically you need to be super diligent and be your own inspector in addition to the home inspector and during the inspection period, test EVERYTHING. In the future I'll have my checklist and do that.

Anyhow, out of everything wrong so far, I feel like this is the one clear cut thing with the oven having a gas leak that should be covered by the home warranty so will be calling them tomorrow and seeing if they can fix it for the $85 service call fee.

At this point, after a few more weeks and a few more things barring the fireplace inspection being a big deal, it will be ready to list and the only decision will be to list it then, or to put in a new refrigerator/dishwasher/stove and say "all new appliances", put new vinyl plank flooring in everywhere and maybe a new pretty garage door and list it for about $30-50k more. It probably makes sense to do the later in terms of money spent vs returns, but just means more weeks until can list it and really just want to be rid of it asap. Though I guess the appliances are quick switch outs and garage door is a one day job, so it's really just how long it would take to redo all the flooring. Idk, need to make that decision soon.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36478 on: July 05, 2023, 05:20:35 PM »
I would not invest too much in those things. I'm not sure how those things work in the US of A but where I live when people buy a house they usually want to buy their own kitchen and appliances.
Sometimes brand new kitchens get thrown into the trash just because the new owner wants a different color or doesn't like the layout. Same with bathrooms.

Most like it when the 'big stuff' is done like doors, flooring, walls (white paint) and ceiling.

Taking old stuff out so they can easily put in something new probably also makes a buyer happy.
🤴

james

« Reply #36479 on: July 05, 2023, 08:04:07 PM »
Dont listen to Nintex in the Nertherlands people move out and take the floor with them and the next person has to bring their own floor its insane