Author Topic: Mario Galaxy 2 Thread  (Read 12537 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Mario Galaxy 2 Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
ya last half of the game was better than the first half

bachikarn

« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24:23 PM »
What is up with Luigi? It seems like on random levels I have the option as playing as him. Does it do anything special if I use him instead of Mario?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
unlocks ghost trials

Bebpo

« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »
This game is better than the first Galaxy because of the way comets are handled.  I loaded up my Galaxy 1 save to see which stars I was missing and all the missing ones are comets and now I remember I didn't stop before 120 because I ran into any roadblock tough stars, I stopped because I got sick of waiting for the right comet to show up at the right time.  That stuff was totally bullshit.  Plus only 1 comet per level this time around means more of the stars are actually levels so more levels total.

Galaxy 2 >>>> Galaxy

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #244 on: May 29, 2010, 06:50:29 AM »
i never had a problem with the comets in the original,i played the game normaly,they appeared as i progressed and i got them all
<----

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #245 on: May 30, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »
I don't see what makes this so much better than Galaxy 1.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #246 on: May 30, 2010, 02:50:12 AM »
Galaxy was really piss easy, I found it way too linear too. Getting 242 stars was one of the easiest things ever.

Sure this game might be a little more linear, but its more creative and a lot more challenging. I liked Galaxy but I don't love it, I love this game.

there were 242 stars in galaxy 1?

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #247 on: May 30, 2010, 04:58:14 AM »
Galaxy was really piss easy, I found it way too linear too. Getting 242 stars was one of the easiest things ever.

Sure this game might be a little more linear, but its more creative and a lot more challenging. I liked Galaxy but I don't love it, I love this game.

nah this game is piss easy too
<----

Jansen

« Reply #248 on: May 30, 2010, 05:06:59 AM »
first wii game i've honestly put effort into even tho i've had the console for over a year (bought and tried MHtri and decided it wasn't for me).

seems like a pretty good game. motion controls aren't annoying but one thing that is bugging the shit outta me is the octagonal design for the nunchuck.

don't understand why nintendo continues to use it :/

anyways i caught a bit of wii fever and ordered NMH 1+2 as well but haven't tried them out yet.

Himu

IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »
wrong song
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
GOOD LORD THE MUSIC IS SO HORRIBLE IT MAKES ME WANT TO PUNCH PUPPIES!
[close]
<----

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #251 on: May 30, 2010, 11:58:54 AM »

Sounds no diff from your weeaboo games. Except Yoshi is ok. You are below Yoshi Story. How does this make you feel?
fat

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #252 on: May 30, 2010, 12:20:12 PM »

Sounds no diff from your weeaboo games. Except Yoshi is ok. You are below Yoshi Story. How does this make you feel?

AAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
<----

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #253 on: May 30, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
eat asshole, eat asshole
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #254 on: May 30, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »
I always heard "be careful, be careful"

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #255 on: May 30, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »
That's what it is...
fat

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »
Just finished the game and the bonus world levels. Not going to bother with the bonus stars.
Game was awesome. 
The Wii is ready to collect dust again for a few months (years?)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »
No, months.  :bow METROID :bow2
püp

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »
Very sceptical about that. Looks like a mess so far.
The only Wii game I'm looking forward to is the new Zelda.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #259 on: May 30, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
Well it did get delayed, methinks it was for analog stick support.  I think it looks pretty awesome.
püp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2010, 07:16:02 PM »
eat asshole, eat asshole

:lol You can't unhear it

Also wow @ 7 page gaf thread discussing this pressing concern

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #261 on: May 30, 2010, 10:42:10 PM »
Beat Bowser with 78 or so stars. SMG1 > 2

Bebpo

« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2010, 10:50:49 PM »
Why do you prefer Galaxy 1?

Here's what I think Galaxy 1 has over 2
-fresh innovation
-better final boss level & fight
-an explorable hub
-a story

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »
All true. Yoshi sucked, the new powers were underutilized and not terribly interesting, and I preferred Galaxy 1's more in-depth levels. I blazed through the levels in this game and never looked back since they had 3 stars max. Galaxy 1 was harder too, so far. And I think it had a better camera.

cool breeze

« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »
All true. Yoshi sucked, the new powers were underutilized and not terribly interesting, and I preferred Galaxy 1's more in-depth levels. I blazed through the levels in this game and never looked back since they had 3 stars max. Galaxy 1 was harder too, so far. And I think it had a better camera.

I agree with a lot of this, I just don't take all of it to be a negative.  They're mostly on par for me.  I will say that after getting around 180 stars, Galaxy 2 does really feel like an expansion pack.  It's also the truest 3D representation of the 2D games, imo.

Bebpo

« Reply #265 on: May 30, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »
Yeah, I agree with almost everything AdmiralViscen said (I think Cloud Mario was the only new powerup that you really got to use a lot).

But I still prefer Galaxy 2 because I like short games that I can blaze through in a few days.  It might have felt like an expansion, but like how ODST was a short experience covering the best of Halo gameplay, I thought Galaxy 2 was a straight to the point 10-20 hours of the best of 3d Mario.  Yoshi sucked, but otherwise I think 90% of what's there in the levels is high quality stuff.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
I've reached a point in the game where in Galaxy's relative time elapsed, I wasn't dying NEARLY this much.  This game is noticeably harder at this stage, I feel.

I still don't understand this expansion pack business.  What is a sequel supposed to do, then, in your opinion?
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2010, 12:27:32 AM »
Don't take expansion pack as a negative.  The HL2 Episodes are both expansion packs and better than the regular HL2.  Same with the GTA4 episodes, ODST like Bebpo mentioned (ODST > Halo 3 campaign, just saying) and a bunch of older games.  I don't know what a sequel is supposed to do, but it just feels like the games I've mentioned; I don't have a definition if that's what you want.  It's things like how it still is using a lot from Galaxy 1 (mechanics, power ups, level gimmicks), it's a shorter game, introduces things from Mario Galaxy 1 (relatively) earlier (think Luigi, despite the role difference), etc.

Like I said, I consider both these games on par with each other as my favorite games this gen and some of my favorite of all time.  Calling it an expansion pack is just because it feels like what was traditionally considered an expansion pack. 

Rman

« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »
So in short; Galaxy 2 is the superior game and pretty much rocks. Thank God we resolved that mystery.
Well put.  I found Yoshi pretty fun, much better than his NSMBWii incarnation.

cool breeze

« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2010, 12:51:45 AM »
I liked Yoshi too.  I don't see what was so bad about him except maybe the chili dash stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2010, 01:03:48 AM »
-Chili Dash
-Slippery control like Luigi
-ONE SECOND INABILITY TO JUMP OR ATTACK AFTER BITING SOMETHING (sorry, I really hate this.  It's like if Mario couldn't jump for 1 second after landing a jump)
-Flutter jump is spotty imo.  It's hard to pinpoint exactly when it will activate and use it effectively in high skill situations.

What I actually liked about yoshi:
-Blue yoshi
-PULLING THINGS (used this...twice? in the entire game though)

I mean, outside of the times you absolutely need to use Yoshi (glow bulbs, flower jumping, breaking glass) I don't see any reason to use him.  For example in the beatbox galaxy purple coin star.  You get a yoshi egg about halfway.  Everytime I tried to use yoshi to get the silver stars from the pyramid of 1 sec disappearing blocks I died.  When I just did it with Mario I didn't die! 

Yoshi was also useless in NSMB Wii
He also inspired a creepy ntard thread about his "art" yesterday

In short, death to modern yoshi

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
Yoshi in this game doesn't do anything Mario doesn't do (or didn't do in the first game, like pulling out ledges). Except for the glowing thing which is used once or twice and Mario could have easily done with his own power up. And his controls suck. And you can't jump off him when he is swimming wtf

Rman

« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Bebpo,are you going to 100 percent this game? 

Bebpo

« Reply #273 on: May 31, 2010, 03:52:14 PM »
Kind of a weird question, but no.  I'd already kind of dropped it as I'd lost interest after I beat the game.  But I might do at least the full 120 just to get the "finally got 120 in a 3d mario game" personal achievement.  I was at ~90 last time I played.

Rman

« Reply #274 on: May 31, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »
Kind of a weird question, but no.  I'd already kind of dropped it as I'd lost interest after I beat the game.  But I might do at least the full 120 just to get the "finally got 120 in a 3d mario game" personal achievement.  I was at ~90 last time I played.
I ask because some of the best stars are the comet challlenges.  There are some devious ones near the end of the game.

Minor post game spoilers:
Not feeling the green stars.  They remind of the DK coins from DKC2.  I definitely prefer the objective based yellow stars over the green star hunts
[close]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:17:00 PM by Rman »

Rman

« Reply #275 on: May 31, 2010, 11:08:19 PM »
It's pretty wild that the team was able to spend two and a half years on what's essentially an expansion pack. Must be nice to have that kind of time. :-\
The development interviews talk about how SMG2 was the fruit of many of the ideas they had to cut for SMG1. 

cool breeze

« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2010, 11:21:45 PM »
Minor post game spoilers:
Not feeling the green stars.  They remind of the DK coins from DKC2.  I definitely prefer the objective based yellow stars over the green star hunts
[close]

Agreed.
I'm not a fan of the structure and having a (seemingly) worthwhile reward for doing them all means I'll have to do it out of some nerd obligation or something.

I don't like how the structure is basically:

(level start)........(Star 1)
(level start)........(Star 1).........(Star 2)
(level start)........(Star 1).........(Star 2)..........(Star 3)

By the time you get to the third star, you're just going through the motions again.  I wish they'd just start you off at a checkpoint.
[close]

It's pretty wild that the team was able to spend two and a half years on what's essentially an expansion pack. Must be nice to have that kind of time. :-\

I would be cool if they were working on a Jungle Beat sequel at the same time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:25:32 PM by Linkzg »

Shino

« Reply #277 on: June 08, 2010, 10:44:24 AM »
I've finally gotten to put some more time into this game.

It is definitely more of the same for the most part, but that's a good thing.

I'm 50 stars in and I just hit world 4.  Been damn fun so far.
The one thing I'm noticing is that I don't play it as long in one sitting as I did with the first Galaxy.
SIG

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #278 on: June 08, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »
Same for me. The gay Wii channel says that I got all 120 stars in the first game in only 8 power-ons. This one is 15 or 16 power ons, I have 80 or so stars and I don't really care to get the rest.

Shino

« Reply #279 on: June 08, 2010, 12:04:46 PM »
You know... I don't like the way they handled Luigi in this one either... he's only playable on certain stages.  I'd like him to be playable all the time.
SIG

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #280 on: June 08, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
uh... you can play as luigi in every stage!
there is a door in starship mario with a big L on it,if you enter on it,you switch to luigi
<----

Shino

« Reply #281 on: June 08, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
uh... you can play as luigi in every stage!
there is a door in starship mario with a big L on it,if you enter on it,you switch to luigi

Oh... I haven't seen that.
Good to know.  I thought it was just the stages he's standing at the start of, you could switch.
Thanks
SIG

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #282 on: June 08, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »
you have to wait a bit to unlock that though

Shino

« Reply #283 on: June 08, 2010, 12:28:28 PM »
you have to wait a bit to unlock that though

Well Luigi is available in the stages... I haven't seen the door though, but I don't really roam the ship that much.
Does the door show up at the same time as he does in the stages?
SIG

Himu

« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2010, 05:12:22 AM »
So I got a new wii a month ago, and beat Mario Galaxy in pretty much 2-3 days. Yeah. I know. Pathetic, right? I feel kinda dumb, though. Should I have gotten Galaxy 2 instead?

Either way, I don't regret it. Galaxy is not only the best game I've played this generation, it's one of the few games I consider perfect. Every time I touched the game, I couldn't stop. It's probably one of the few games this generation, or period, that has lived up to its hype (which was incredible hype, I might add). I honestly only have one problem with the game, and it's the motion controls. Not the spin, but the the controls for some of the mini games and platforming. The main culprit? Those big booger snot things. Pressing A, and moving the wiimote accordingly to launch Mario towards the next giant gray booger thing sounds simple, but it's a tedious process, especially in that one Bonus Galaxy that's nothing but a bunch of Giant Snot things.

I really hope Galaxy 2 has fixed this, as the motion control mini games and the giant snot things and the occasional (but rarely) rusty camera are the only problems with it. Anyone who has played Galaxy 2 to completion, can you shed some light on this?

Also, are comets in SMG2? :hyper comets :hyper
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2010, 05:23:51 AM »
there is no snot in mario galaxy 2
no bubble stages either
the manta race have been replaced with fluzzard (a giant bird) race which controls a little better
and there are still ball rolling stages

there is a single comet in every level altough usualy it's just a time trial or a "don't get hit" challenge
<----

Himu

« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2010, 05:25:31 AM »
there is a single comet in every level altough usualy it's just a time trial or a "don't get hit" challenge

omg that's enough for me

sounds like gotg part two

IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2010, 08:38:53 PM »
Glad you liked SMG, Himuro. Definitely the best game this generation.

I beat SMG2, and I'm pretty disappointed. Level design is top notch, and possibly better than the original, but if falls short in every other area.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »
Nobody plays this anymore. Fell off the map...
fat

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
People are too busy playing Peace Walker :bow2
Drunk

lordoftherink

« Reply #290 on: June 20, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »
Yeah, I thought SMG2 was hardly the game of forever some were hyping it up to be. I read somewhere that this game was made because EAD Tokyo had so many new ideas they couldn't fit in the first. I'd like to know where they all were. There are some really good moments (the spin to flip the panals galaxy, beat block galaxy) but overall most of the galaxies seemed hardly different, let alone better than the first game. The game has a slow as fuck start, too, which I'd imagine was to make the game accessible to newcomers fresh off of NSMBW, but it drags down the game, having played the first. It is far from a bad game, but I'm already tiring of it at 110 stars. I heard somewhere there is a total of 240 stars, and that the second 120 is additional challenges in each galaxy rather than new worlds. Not sure if I'm looking forward to that if it turns out to be the case.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:58:19 PM by lordoftherink »