Author Topic: Microsoft's slim Xbox  (Read 22539 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Microsoft's slim Xbox
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »
It still has 2 on the front.
fat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »
I don't like that the USB ports have been moved to the back of the system.  I use those all the time for controllers.
2 in front like always.

+ 3 on the back and one power usb for kinect.

http://kotaku.com/5563360/video-walkthrough-of-the-new-xbox-360

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2010, 07:51:20 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2010, 07:54:29 PM »
It still has 2 on the front.

I don't like that the USB ports have been moved to the back of the system.  I use those all the time for controllers.
2 in front like always.

+ 3 on the back and one power usb for kinect.

http://kotaku.com/5563360/video-walkthrough-of-the-new-xbox-360

Good to know.
ど助平

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »
if i had the extra money i'd go ahead and pick up an arcade for $150

the elite i have now has RLODed and been refurbed once, only a matter of time before it shits the bed for good
sup

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5563430/xbox-360-drops-price-on-tuesday-morning

price drops on older models.

Awesome. I have some store credit at ebgames. Hopefully they drop the price also so I can replace my dying 360 maybe.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2010, 08:15:09 PM »
Drop the price on 60 and 120gb HDs too.  :maf  :nsfw
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2010, 08:50:54 PM »
Depending on how much more quiet it is, I'd be willing to shell out the extra bones.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2010, 10:01:10 PM »
They don't want to take too long reintroducing an "arcade" equivalent. $299 (two ninety nine) plus whatever the cost of [borys]Netal[/borys] isn't going to win over the masses. They need the $199 price point back certainly by the holidays.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2010, 10:03:07 PM »
I'm going to buy the $100 Xbox Arcade this weekend. Can anyone recommend a good Flash Drive, or does it really not matter?

doesn't really matter, just get a sandisk and not some shit from china off ebay

Jansen

« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »
so is a stripped down version of this model going to replace the arcade as well?

that would suck if it did since you'd be forced to spend the extra $$$ for the elite when your current system dies.

well assuming you still want an hdd that is.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »
After looking at some high res pics of the redesign, I gotta say that I kind of like the look of it now.  Not that I necessarily give a damn about that kind of stuff and I don't ever really see my PS3 or 360 since they're behind a cabinet door, but the 360 250GB isn't as bad as I first thought.

If they're as quiet as reported, I might pick one up for the bedroom just for the Netflix thing.
Tacos

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2010, 10:29:14 PM »
I'm going to buy the $100 Xbox Arcade this weekend. Can anyone recommend a good Flash Drive, or does it really not matter?

doesn't really matter, just get a sandisk and not some shit from china off ebay

I have an 8GB Toshiba flash stick. Will that be okay? It's just gonna be game saves and arcade stuff.
Should be fine; the USB "compatibility" stuff is really only for DLC/game installs, IIRC.

After looking at some high res pics of the redesign, I gotta say that I kind of like the look of it now.  Not that I necessarily give a damn about that kind of stuff and I don't ever really see my PS3 or 360 since they're behind a cabinet door, but the 360 250GB isn't as bad as I first thought.

If they're as quiet as reported, I might pick one up for the bedroom just for the Netflix thing.
I'm leaning toward it now, too. Man, a quiet 360 hooked up through HDMI... tempting.

Wario64

« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
starting to see this on my 360 today

guess i'm gonna have to buy the new slim 360. sigh. does costco still have their kick ass return policy? thats where i got mine and i wonder if i can just do that and get the slim this week.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »
You could probably get at least store credit at Costco's. I think it's only the TVs and Ipods that follow the new 3 months return policy. 

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »
flash drive would work fine until you run into shit it won't transfer (OG xbox dlc, some save files).

Whoa, that's not good.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2010, 11:12:51 PM »
Sorry to keep going on about this, but the 360 will recognize any size flash drive, yeah? It's not just 8GB and 16GB units, is it?
That's correct, it'll just divide the stick into a 16GB portion for the X360 stuff and leave the rest free for your other crap.

I think it does a full wipe and format, though, so back up your important shit first.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:17 PM »
Amazon + Prime + New Redesigned 360 = Tomorrow  :-* X2

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2010, 12:20:42 AM »
starting to see this on my 360 today

(Image removed from quote.)

guess i'm gonna have to buy the new slim 360. sigh. does costco still have their kick ass return policy? thats where i got mine and i wonder if i can just do that and get the slim this week.

Mine looked just like that prior to manifesting the E74 error. The official policy is to treat it the same as a RRoD, so you should investigate getting it fixed for free prior to paying for something new:
Microsoft covers repairs for the E74 error for a period of three (3) years from the original purchase date of the console. If you are outside the initial three-year warranty period, you can still receive console repair service from Microsoft for a fee for the E74 error. For more information about this repair process, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
I can't wait to pick up mine. Hopefully I dont get proper fucked on trade in for a original xbox system but w/e. I'm excited about a xbox product. For once.
USA

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:20 PM »
I would love to get one.

But then i would have to start buying games :wag

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2010, 11:07:01 PM »
I can't wait to pick up mine. Hopefully I dont get proper fucked on trade in for a original xbox system but w/e. I'm excited about a xbox product. For once.

Oh man, I might have to up my drug usage if in a few months time Methodis joins the XDF.
SRY

archie4208

« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2010, 08:24:24 AM »

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
More like destructoid is full of idiots
cat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »
that's different from the disc scratching problem.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2010, 08:56:24 AM »
From TFA:
If you own an Xbox 360 you know the most annoying thing about it is the RRoD. You probably know the second most annoying thing about it as well, and that is that it can scratch the sh*t out of your discs. Nothing like plopping down $60 bucks just to get home and have the game ruined because your console destroyed it.  You'd think this would be something the Microsoft would take care in their new version of the console since it seems they've taken care of many of the other issues the console had. Think again. Our intrepid E3 team tested the console out with an Alan Wake disc and then Nick decided to move it. Suddenly all hell breaks loose. Goodbye, Alan Wake.

Sure, there was a sticker on the damn thing saying not to move it, but it isn't like he was tossing it around the room. They're planning on having gesticulating children play Kinect anywhere near this thing? Some games are going to be getting destroyed, people. Looks like everyone needs to be really, really careful around their new 360s while they are on or their games are going to get wrecked.

CONFIRMED.

huckleberry

« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2010, 09:01:58 AM »
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-new-xbox-same-old-disc-destroying-problems-176508.phtml

MS didn't fix the disc scratching problem  :-\

Listening to their reactions was awesome....sounds like something stupid I would do.  :-\
wub

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-new-xbox-same-old-disc-destroying-problems-176508.phtml

MS didn't fix the disc scratching problem  :-\

Not a problem when game is installed on 250GB drive. Disc doesnt move :smug
fat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »
My arcade from last year is whisper quiet when running an installed game. I do hear the cd when running a game no installed. These new slims aren't doing anything new except integrated wifi.
©ZH

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2010, 10:02:18 AM »
Yeah, the childlike "New Hardware!" part of my brain is pushing me pretty hard right now, despite not needing this revision at all. The added wifi does me no good anyways.

fek

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2010, 10:06:38 AM »
My cable modem and router are at my television anyway, so wifi has never been an issue with me, either. The increased disk space is nice (I have 60GB), but I don't play (let alone swap) different games frequently enough where simply uninstalling one to clear space for another is too burdensome.

TripleA

« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2010, 10:07:50 AM »

More like the hardware isn't designed right.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2010, 10:23:20 AM »
apparently the new 360 slim scratches the disc if moved like the phat did in 2007
MICROSOFT
HARDWARE YOU CAN TRUST
<----

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2010, 12:43:07 PM »

From TFA:
If you own an Xbox 360 you know the most annoying thing about it is the RRoD. You probably know the second most annoying thing about it as well, and that is that it can scratch the sh*t out of your discs. Nothing like plopping down $60 bucks just to get home and have the game ruined because your console destroyed it.  You'd think this would be something the Microsoft would take care in their new version of the console since it seems they've taken care of many of the other issues the console had. Think again. Our intrepid E3 team tested the console out with an Alan Wake disc and then Nick decided to move it. Suddenly all hell breaks loose. Goodbye, Alan Wake.

Sure, there was a sticker on the damn thing saying not to move it, but it isn't like he was tossing it around the room. They're planning on having gesticulating children play Kinect anywhere near this thing? Some games are going to be getting destroyed, people. Looks like everyone needs to be really, really careful around their new 360s while they are on or their games are going to get wrecked.

CONFIRMED.

apparently the new 360 slim scratches the disc if moved like the phat did in 2007
MICROSOFT
HARDWARE YOU CAN TRUST

Hopefully your Wii explodes

/just joking

cat

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
MICROSOFT
HARDWARE YOU CAN TRUST

All systems do that, especially if you place them vertically. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2010, 01:19:34 PM »

More like the hardware isn't designed right.

you can't be serious
sup

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
destructoid really has a niche as the lowliest and most sensationalist of blogs, in an industry where every blog is already very low and highly sensationalist.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »
I can't reply back to pm's but thank you to that special person for the heads up.  :-[
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2010, 05:35:45 PM »
Rumor is they come out tommorow at gamestops. I can't wait. Gunna leave home and get mine, I am super excited.  :D
USA

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »

From TFA:

CONFIRMED.

MICROSOFT
HARDWARE YOU CAN TRUST

Hopefully your Wii explodes

/just joking

i haven't turned the thing in like forever so i'm safe :smug
<----

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
I was reading how Gamestop only expecting a few per store and I wont get out of work till late so I ordered one from Amazon  :D
USA

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2010, 06:24:29 PM »
Yeah, the childlike "New Hardware!" part of my brain is pushing me pretty hard right now, despite not needing this revision at all. The added wifi does me no good anyways.

Do you have HDMI on your 360?  That's going to be my excuse. :-[

Bildi

• AKA Bildo

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
I was reading how Gamestop only expecting a few per store and I wont get out of work till late so I ordered one from Amazon  :D

Hopefully your Xbox self-destructs immediately.

/not joking

:smug
cat

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »

Yeah, I do. I truly have no excuse. That said, common sense will surely prevail for a little while at least.
fek

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2010, 08:01:31 PM »

Yeah, I do. I truly have no excuse. That said, common sense will surely prevail for a little while at least.

Sadly, the integrated wireless would do me no good since its N and I still have an old G router. Might need to get a new N router to take advantage of that.
XDF

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »
Does the Wii or PS3 scratch the disk if you turn it 90 degrees mid-game?

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2010, 08:20:31 PM »
Does the Wii or PS3 scratch the disk if you turn it 90 degrees mid-game?

no, because they have disc holders.
USA

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2010, 03:41:49 AM »
It's a color we know so well, but it looks like Microsoft would like to dissociate itself from its RROD heritage, or perhaps just ran out of red LEDs: the new Xbox 360 only has a green ring around its power button, so even if you wrap the thing in a blanket and set it on fire, it won't be flashing red to tell you how it feels. This was unearthed in a spec sheet that Joystiq  received from a tipster, along with all the other fancy specs you can see above. Overall the console is 17% smaller, which really goes to show that Microsoft was much more interested in noise and heat reduction than sliding the new 360 into a smaller crevice of your home entertainment center.

RROD no more...sorry stards,no job for your gif factory

New 360 :bow2
cat

cool breeze

« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
this is the best part of the new Xbox:

pure black accessories (except face buttons).  Black analog sticks, black d-pad, black bottom area.  The elite controller only had the top of the shell black.  Most of the other accessories are becoming pure black too.

MoxManiac

« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
Would installing games eliminate the threat of the console scratching discs?
no

MoxManiac

« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »
Things happen!
no

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2010, 07:18:25 PM »

My white 360 doesn't match my TV and it's totally screwing my feng shui.  No doubt you face a similar problem.

(the white Wii doesn't match either, but I'll just put that in the cupboard). 

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »
Looks like most places around me here aren't getting them until Monday, so that gives me the whole weekend to convince myself that I need one. Let's hope my current 360 doesn't have an "accident" between now and then!

fek

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
Looks like most places around me here aren't getting them until Monday, so that gives me the whole weekend to convince myself that I need one. Let's hope my current 360 doesn't have an "accident" between now and then!

Why not wait and see if these new Xboxes have any "undiscovered" problems first? 
ど助平

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »
Way to kill my buzz, man.  :fbm

fek

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #176 on: June 17, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »
Seriously, if you already have one whats the rush to get a new one?
Drunk

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #177 on: June 17, 2010, 07:42:49 PM »
Oh, no rush. I just get excited over new (or in this case, revised) hardware. In reality, the gf's birthday is coming up shortly, so I don't see buying one in the cards in the short term anyways unless I fall into a pile of cash somehow.

But never, never discount the power of "New Electronics Smell".
fek

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #178 on: June 17, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »
New Electronics Smell is sooo nice.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:22:34 PM by Ganhyun »
XDF

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #179 on: June 17, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
my launch premium obnly holds 20 gigs and sounds like a turbo jet engine. thats why im getting a new one.
USA