Author Topic: Microsoft's slim Xbox  (Read 22537 times)

maxy

• Sales Loser
Re: Microsoft's slim Xbox
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2010, 02:56:49 PM »
No

I would install Halo 3 anyway. The luxury of not having to use the drive outweighs any increased load time - supposed load time, anyway

It exists but it's not big,about 10 seconds i think,after that game works perfectly normal and without noise.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:59:04 PM by maxy »
cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2010, 06:51:26 PM »
this thing is so ugly.  microsoft is pretty much screwed between this version that still overheats and Kinect being stupid expensive and laggy.  Will buy a cheap arcade console when they eventually release Microsoft-ga-ga-ga to make fun of themselves for failing so hard.

Your posts have been disgusting ever since you turned in your Xbot badge. 

shu tup, i'm a go play some Killzone 2 online deathmatch on my PLAYSTATION 3®

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »
Yes, an internal hard drive and Wi-fi set this apart from the competition.

Built in wireless N (PS Triple got b/g) a 250 g drive, has reduced power consumption drastically, is smaller and by all accounts I've read so far is quieter, all important aspects which have addressed problems with previous iterations. As with any new SKU new problems may arise with it at a later date but at first impressions it's a big upgrade from previous units. So yeah, relatively this thing be packin.
◕‿◕

« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2010, 12:48:59 AM »
This new Slim 360 is awesome, I may be getting a free system because of it!! :rock
野球

TripleA

« Reply #244 on: June 21, 2010, 12:53:20 AM »
Yes, an internal hard drive and Wi-fi set this apart from the competition.

Built in wireless N (PS Triple got b/g) a 250 g drive, has reduced power consumption drastically, is smaller and by all accounts I've read so far is quieter, all important aspects which have addressed problems with previous iterations. As with any new SKU new problems may arise with it at a later date but at first impressions it's a big upgrade from previous units. So yeah, relatively this thing be packin.

So wi-fi, a bigger hard-drive, reduced power consumption, reduced noise levels, and a smaller form factor than the previous sku?

Sounds vaguely familiar.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #245 on: June 21, 2010, 02:09:29 AM »
qID, I can't believe you're even responding to such a clear case of sarcasm and empty trolling. Ask him how he likes his group voicechat, cross-game voicechat, playing his custom music while using any kind of network connection, being able to play games offline if you don't feel like updating over the course of hours, and how great it is to be able to demo any downloadable game before committing to a purchase.

That's if he was being sarcastic about the superior feature set of the PS3. If he was being sarcastic about the Wii, just ask him about his friends list.

Shino

« Reply #246 on: June 21, 2010, 11:56:17 AM »
So... they didn't fix the disc scratching issue and now the system still overheats?

Did they do anything to the damn thing or did they just put wireless in and drop a new plastic case on it?
SIG

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #247 on: June 21, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »
This new Slim 360 is awesome, I may be getting a free system because of it!! :rock
I can finally like you.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #248 on: June 21, 2010, 02:21:36 PM »
So... they didn't fix the disc scratching issue and now the system still overheats?

Did they do anything to the damn thing or did they just put wireless in and drop a new plastic case on it?

all consoles have that disc scratching issue. protip: don't jostle your fucking console while playing. alternatively, install to the hd.

it doesn't overheat; at least, no more than the ps3 does. i've lost a ps3 to overheating, courtesy of a four year old daughter. protip 2: don't play your next-gen console with the damn thing sealed in a small cabinet enclosure! the new 360 will at least WARN you and shut down if it gets too hot.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:24:20 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #249 on: June 21, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
also don't lay shit like game boxes on top of it and block those vents
sup

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #250 on: June 21, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
wait it really doesn't come with component or HDMI cables?

TripleA

« Reply #251 on: June 21, 2010, 02:51:52 PM »
qID, I can't believe you're even responding to such a clear case of sarcasm and empty trolling. Ask him how he likes his group voicechat, cross-game voicechat, playing his custom music while using any kind of network connection, being able to play games offline if you don't feel like updating over the course of hours, and how great it is to be able to demo any downloadable game before committing to a purchase.

That's if he was being sarcastic about the superior feature set of the PS3. If he was being sarcastic about the Wii, just ask him about his friends list.

I like all of those features quite much actually.

TripleA

« Reply #252 on: June 21, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »
Anyways, I'll probably buy the $199 arcade when it comes out.

A less noisy 360 is absolutely welcome.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #253 on: June 21, 2010, 02:55:44 PM »
the new 360 will at least WARN you and shut down if it gets too hot.
*start up game
"ESRB Notice: Game Experience May Change During Online Play"
"Warning: your xbox is too hot and will die in 3..2..1..."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:58:29 PM by Father_Mike »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #254 on: June 21, 2010, 08:02:41 PM »

[img]http://topnews.us/images/steam-logo.jpg[img]

[img]http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/cqtwo/files/2008/09/600px-smileysvg.png[img]

Reading comprehension, ftl.

If you're going to talk about PC gaming, let's get into how inferior the 360 is because it lacks printer drivers, and how bad the PS3 is because you can't use OpenOffice any longer.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2010, 10:09:54 PM »
For those peeps speculating about the Arcade model and bundles:
Kinect bundles and $199 360 confirmed (reg req'd for full article)

Microsoft has appeared to confirm hardware bundles with the Xbox 360 and Kinect, as well as a $199 version of the redesigned Xbox 360 console - although details remain sparse.

An internal marketing Q&A obtained by website Kotaku indicates that the newly unveiled Kinect camera system will be available as "part of a bundle with the newly designed Xbox 360 console".

Although console bundles for Kinect have been widely assumed throughout the industry, Microsoft's refusal to announce a price for the standalone Kinect system meant that no package deals have been officially confirmed.

The Kinect price is due to be revealed at the gamescom event in August, but multiple retailers are already listing it for $150.

The website of U.S. retailer GameStop has previously listed a $299 Arcade bundle with Kinect, as well as a $399 Elite version - although both these listings now appear to have been removed.

The Q&A also confirms that Microsoft will release "a $199 Xbox 360 this fall". Although this would seem likely to refer to a cheaper version of the new, slimline Xbox 360, the exactly wording of the document is ambiguous.

The only version of the redesigned Xbox 360 confirmed by Microsoft at E3 is currently listed for $299 and includes a 250GB hard drive and a built-in Wi-Fi adapter. If this is assumed to be equivalent to the current "Elite" Xbox 360 SKU, then a $199 version is likely to be equivalent to the Arcade bundle.

The current Arcade SKU does not include a hard drive and is instead bundled with a 256MB memory card. However, the redesigned Xbox 360 does not feature memory card slots and instead has two additional USB ports.

While specifications for any cheaper SKU remain purely at the speculation stage, possible candidates for feature-removal in a cheaper SKU might thus include the 250GB hard drive, or the newly-integrated wireless networking - which required a costly add-on on the older models of 360.

TripleA

« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »

[img]http://topnews.us/images/steam-logo.jpg[img]

[img]http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/cqtwo/files/2008/09/600px-smileysvg.png[img]

Reading comprehension, ftl.

If you're going to talk about PC gaming, let's get into how inferior the 360 is because it lacks printer drivers, and how bad the PS3 is because you can't use OpenOffice any longer.

Reading comprehension ftl, why are you talking about office functionality.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2010, 12:06:03 AM »
I give up. You're obtuse beyond belief. Are you SURE you're not Methodis?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »

Notice the cooler and its fan.More importantly notice the hot air path...straight into our eyes

That means that 360 Sexy is blowing hot air from its left side...plastic casing will obviously redirect it,so it goes at a certain angle towards the back

That also means that if you block the left side,machine will overheat,unlike old 360s that have hot air coming from the back.
cat

drew

• sy
« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2010, 06:11:53 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

you are seriously the worst poster here, between this sa fagshit and the gaffaggot star trek face palm spam in the kinect thread, not to mention not liking dead rising, you sir, suck shit

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2010, 06:55:43 AM »
What is "sa"? Is that another forum? I'm seeing that acronym a lot lately.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:31:01 AM by Third »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2010, 01:28:17 PM »
fake

archie4208

« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2010, 01:31:33 PM »
It's improperly ventilated.  Of course that was going to happen.

:teehee

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #264 on: June 22, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
 :lol

He should add some Alienware PC to the bunch...for better heating

But that is some kind of hardware failure,console,tv,cables...he shouldn't be able to play console that long

Overheating is also a possibility if temperature sensor is malfunctioning.
cat

Robo

« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2010, 02:32:15 PM »
THAT'S the slim?  But... it's like, almost the same size.  ???
obo

TripleA

« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

you are seriously the worst poster here, between this sa fagshit and the gaffaggot star trek face palm spam in the kinect thread, not to mention not liking dead rising, you sir, suck shit

I think Dead Rising 2 has the potential to follow in Lost Planet 2's footsteps.

TripleA

« Reply #267 on: June 22, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
THAT'S the slim?  But... it's like, almost the same size.  ???

Are you saying you are not satisfied with the inclusion of Wi-fi  :maf !?? ?!?

Robo

« Reply #268 on: June 22, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
I don't care that it's not actually slim, I'm just confused by the chosen moniker vs. the reality.
obo

TripleA

« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2010, 03:09:43 PM »
What's there to be confused about, it's Microsoft.

TripleA

« Reply #270 on: June 22, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »
I don't care that it's not actually slim, I'm just confused by the chosen moniker vs. the reality.

The slim name is one used by forum goers and bloggers, Microsoft calls it the Xbox 360 250GB or Xbox 360 S.

What does the S stand for?

Beezy

« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2010, 03:11:40 PM »
soundproof

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »
slut

TripleA

« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »

« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2010, 03:18:21 PM »

The slim name is one used by forum goers and bloggers, Microsoft calls it the Xbox 360 250GB or Xbox 360 S.

Whatever the S stood for when they released the Xbox Controller S.

I always thought it stood for "small," seeing how it was designed for Japan.
野球

TripleA

« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »

Whatever the S stood for when they released the Xbox Controller S.

Cool, so the S stands for nothing.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
So anyone buy it yet?

Got two from amazon, but returned them due to the gamestop trade in deal. Why pay for two new ones when I can get two for the cost of one. Also one of them had a bum hdd right out the box.

TripleA

« Reply #277 on: June 22, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

Sfags Annihilated

Doesn't have the same ring to it as 'slut'.

drew

• sy
« Reply #278 on: June 22, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
yeah, never ever stand your 360 up vertically

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #279 on: June 22, 2010, 06:35:28 PM »
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=940

A real professional breakdown of Xbox 360 Sexy.

cat

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #280 on: June 22, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »

Sfags Annihilated

Violated your own rule, dummy.  >:(

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #281 on: June 22, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »
yeah, never ever stand your 360 up vertically

I've had mine standing vertically for probably a year now? No problems.
AMC

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »
Nutjuice, that's cuz you're only using it for Netflix. 

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
I had mine standing for 2 years with no problems. Now I have it laying down though.
itm

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2010, 10:33:55 PM »
Nutjuice, that's cuz you're only using it for Netflix. 

I beat Mass Effect 2! And I've played MW2 for a few days total!
AMC

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »
some of you new owners may be interested in the xbl family plan.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/xbox-live-family-subscription-plan-available-starting-in-novembe/

Microsoft's just dropped details on its new Xbox Live family subscription plan. Starting in November, it will offer the Gold Family Pack, enabling up to four users to have Xbox Live Gold subscriptions, for $99.99 a year. It'll also debut the Family Center, a new menu accessible from the dashboard for customizing account settings. We've certainly wished for something like this in the past, and the pricing sounds like a pretty good deal to us -- we'll be able to afford a new cap for our avatar, afterall! Full press release is below.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2010, 09:15:24 PM »
99USD/year is too much.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2010, 12:03:19 AM »
Cool, so the S stands for nothing.

On the contrary, I feel the S stands for something.

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2010, 12:39:10 AM »
99USD/year is too much.

For four accounts??? Goddamn everybody wants everything for free.
dap

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2010, 01:51:59 AM »
99USD/year is too much.

This is a bit hard for me to understand. If you have 4 people playing enough to warrant having separate accounts, don't you need 4 360s? Or at least more than one? Will you be able to have one Family subscription, spread over 2-4 360s?

If I had a family that hardcore, I wouldn't balk at the price. Like you say, it's a hefty discount.
vjj

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2010, 02:24:25 AM »
http://gizmodo.com/5569822/xbox-live-launching-100-gold-family-plan

Update: We just heard from Microsoft that you could split these four accounts across consoles, so long as they were all in the same country. To do so, first the second, third and fourth accounts need to be added to the same console as the primary account holder. After they are activated onto the Family Pack, they can recover that account onto a different console.

Problem with sharing these among friends instead of just family members is that the primary account holder is still responsible for purchases, meaning, people who add points on the other three accounts will just bill the primary account holder. Which would be great, if you weren't the guy paying for your three chumps' DLCs.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2010, 03:36:11 AM »
99USD/year is too much.

It's actually "up to four accounts," and it's not clear how they'll be limited. If it's just a four-pack of yearly codes, super. I suspect it will be implemented in a way which prevents people from using it across disparate locations and saving money by dividing the 99USD four ways. (I just read am nintenho's post.)

As for "free," I actually think that a single, logged-in Gold account should enable access for any other currently-logged-in Silver or Non-Live accounts on a single machine, limited only by any game's features and any other DRM in play. So if a game supports splitscreen multiplayer and online simultaneously, and one player is Gold but the other Silver, they should still be able to play an online match against others. However, if the Silver account initiates a download, it would still be limited by the parameters of his account.

This actually came up for me when trying to use Video Chat, where I logged in and was talking to my sister in the USA. My wife wanted to talk at the same time, so I pulled out an extra controller and headset, and turned them on. It wouldn't recognize the other controller's mic, so I logged in my wife's Silver account. The 360 ended the Video Chat without warning or explanation. It wouldn't allow me to restart the video chat until I'd logged out her account. It pissed me off.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2010, 04:00:45 AM »
and then you used Skype like a normal person?
vjj

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #293 on: June 24, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
This actually came up for me when trying to use Video Chat, where I logged in and was talking to my sister in the USA. My wife wanted to talk at the same time, so I pulled out an extra controller and headset, and turned them on. It wouldn't recognize the other controller's mic, so I logged in my wife's Silver account. The 360 ended the Video Chat without warning or explanation. It wouldn't allow me to restart the video chat until I'd logged out her account. It pissed me off.

That DOES suck.

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »
So wait, can I have multiple Live accounts on one fucking Xboxen or not? I think that's what they're getting at, yes?

See this is so that the whole family can play 1 vs 100 or Bomberman or whatever and not be "Cornelius 1973" followed by "Cornelius 1973(1)", "Cornelius 1973(2)", "Cornelius 1973(3)" etc

I'm just stating the obvious now aren't I?  :'(
dap

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2010, 03:13:18 AM »
yeah, I think that's what they're doing.

Plus that way you can have people with two different game saves playing online together.  It makes it much cheaper to play ranked games of Halo or whatever in split-screen.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #296 on: July 01, 2010, 07:36:14 AM »
For the interested,Japan tech site has done what no Western did...heat spreader removed,cpu+gpu combo and edram revealed

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20100630_377488.html

Japan :bow2

cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2010, 11:07:07 AM »
Saw one of these unboxed at a Nipponbashi shop. Not very good looking, actually. It's smaller though.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #298 on: July 02, 2010, 03:57:45 PM »
As expected,you can use your old hard drive...

Last but not least, as we just discovered, you can simply rip open your old Xbox 360 hard drive and slot it into the case, at which point it will be immediately recognized. Needless to say, we don't recommend this route for a variety of reasons... we hear Microsoft's warranty support service doesn't take kindly to freely bouncing hard drives.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/new-xbox-360-slim-250gb-review/
cat

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #299 on: July 02, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
Everywhere has run out.  It seems the gamespot deal is basically void since it expires before they get their new shipments.