Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1507081 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #20822 on: July 25, 2018, 11:48:10 PM »
I just don't understand why he argues about it on twitter. I'm fine with him joining the Warriors. I'm fine with him winning titles.

But there is nothing that says you are more thin-skinned and sensitive about it than arguing with random twitter people. Maybe its just an age thing. I'm too old to understand that every generation going forward is going to be doing this, but it just seems so weak to me.

Akala

• Easy Victor
Re: The NBA thread (Kawhi for Derozan)
« Reply #20823 on: July 26, 2018, 12:29:38 AM »
Nobu

:kobeyuck

Miso Cod and Yellowtail w/Jalepeno are truth.  :ohyeah  :preach

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:bolo
[close]

agrajag

Re: The NBA thread (Kawhi for Derozan)
« Reply #20824 on: July 26, 2018, 12:34:25 AM »
Nobu

:kobeyuck

Miso Cod and Yellowtail w/Jalepeno are truth.  :ohyeah  :preach

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:bolo
[close]

Yeah, 15  years ago.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20825 on: July 26, 2018, 12:45:31 AM »
Classics never go out of style.  :lawd

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #20827 on: July 26, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #20828 on: July 26, 2018, 10:05:15 PM »
I just don't understand why he argues about it on twitter. I'm fine with him joining the Warriors. I'm fine with him winning titles.

But there is nothing that says you are more thin-skinned and sensitive about it than arguing with random twitter people. Maybe its just an age thing. I'm too old to understand that every generation going forward is going to be doing this, but it just seems so weak to me.

it's really hilarious and weird. at least he's doing it under his own account now. but hey, elon musk is pushing 50, so i don't think 'flying off on twitter' is an age thing

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20829 on: July 26, 2018, 10:52:10 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20830 on: July 26, 2018, 11:26:24 PM »

it's really hilarious and weird. at least he's doing it under his own account now. but hey, elon musk is pushing 50, so i don't think 'flying off on twitter' is an age thing

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24203681/kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-says-grown-weary-how-media-portrayed-sensitive-one

"Oh yeah," Durant, speaking after USA Basketball practice, said when asked if he was tired of people telling him to be quiet. "I mean, it is just to the point that I know what you're upset at. Just say it instead of make excuses. Know what I'm saying? I got too many texts or I talk too much on Instagram or I talk too much on Twitter or I don't know how to talk to my teammates, or I am angry or insecure or sensitive. Tell me what the real problem is.

"Because every time I say something, I go about my business, and when I say something, House of Highlights and Bleacher Report [mash] it all up and y'all run with it, and as soon as I say something back, I'm the sensitive one. I mean, I know y'all trying to make me look crazy and discredit me and strip me of my credibility. But I see what you doing. But I'm going to still keep standing.

He completely misses the point to try to make his point.  :doge

It's how he goes about it and what he says that makes him look crazy. Not the "media". And the media does indeed suck about nearly everything and especially so in sports media. But this one isn't on them.

benjipwns

« Reply #20831 on: August 01, 2018, 02:46:36 AM »
Lakers are going back to Showtime:

ESPN is so shameless sometimes :lol
COULD KOBE MAKE A COMEBACK TO LAKERS?

Domonique Foxworth sees Kobe Bryant being a valuable teacher to young Lakers players if he made a comeback.

benjipwns

« Reply #20832 on: August 03, 2018, 12:26:31 PM »
Pelton win projections: http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/24246576/projected-nba-win-totals-playoff-standings-all-30-teams-2018-19

East:
1. TOR (55-27), 2. BOS (53-29), 3. PHI (48-34), 4. IND (46-36), 5. MIL (45-37), 6. MIA (45-37), 7. WAS (44-38), 8. DET (39-43)
9. CHA (38-44), 10. BRK (37-45), 11. ORL (34-48), 12. CLE (31-51), 13. NYK (31-51), 14. CHI (28-54), 15. ATL (26-56)

West:
1. GSW (59-23), 2. UTA (53-29), 3. HOU (53-29), 4. DEN (51-31), 5. MIN (50-32), 6. OKC (47-35), 7. NOP (44-38), 8. POR (42-40)
9. LAL (41-41), 10. SAS (39-43), 11. LAC (36-46), 12. MEM (33-49), 13. DAL (32-50), 14. PHO (27-55). 15. SAC (25-57)

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20833 on: August 03, 2018, 02:13:41 PM »
Chicago and Oklahoma City are better than that. First reaction is :mjlol @ Toronto ahead of Boston but that might not even be wrong for the regular season. I think Houston looks about right, they’re definitely worse than they were a year ago, but still the second best team in the conference. Denver might win close to 50 but they’re losing in the first no matter who they pull.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20834 on: August 03, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »
Spurs were 47-35 last year without Kawhi and they add Derozan and they project to 39-43. That would surprise me.

I also think the Lakers can be better than 500. I think Phoenix can hit in the 30's in wins also even if its the low 30's.

benjipwns

« Reply #20835 on: August 07, 2018, 09:50:33 AM »
Free-agent big man Greg Monroe has agreed to a one-year, $2.2 million contract with the Toronto Raptors, according to multiple reports.

Also Cavs getting LeBron replacement:
The Cleveland Cavaliers are finalizing a trade to acquire Los Angeles Clippers forward Sam Dekker, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Sunday.

The two sides were working out the parameters of the exchange, which could include cash or future considerations, sources said. But Cleveland will not be trading a player back to the Clippers.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20836 on: August 12, 2018, 01:17:45 AM »

bluemax

NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20838 on: August 15, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20839 on: August 31, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »
Houston Rockets get: Power forward Marquese Chriss and point guard Brandon Knight

Phoenix Suns get: Power forward Ryan Anderson and draft rights to guard De'Anthony Melton

benjipwns

« Reply #20840 on: August 31, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20841 on: September 02, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20842 on: September 03, 2018, 12:35:04 AM »
Luol Deng agreed to a significant give-back of $7.5 million in his contract buyout with the Los Angeles Lakers, clearing $38 million in salary cap space for 2019 free agency, league sources told ESPN.

Deng's buyout leaves him with $29 million for the two years left on his contract, which the Lakers will use the waive and stretch provision to soften the short-term salary cap hit. The significant money that Deng, 33, gave up reflects how determined he's been to continue his career elsewhere. The Lakers could've waited until next summer to use the waive and stretch provision without Deng's financial concessions.

But Deng wouldn't have any incentive to do a buyout next summer, knowing the Lakers would need to do so in order to create a max contract slot. His incentive this year was to create an opportunity to play elsewhere this year.

benjipwns

« Reply #20843 on: September 15, 2018, 11:09:29 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20844 on: September 20, 2018, 08:38:06 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24733577/jimmy-butler-minnesota-timberwolves-seeking-trade-brooklyn-nets-la-clippers-new-york-knicks
Jimmy Butler told Minnesota president of basketball operations and coach Tom Thibodeau that he would like to be traded before reporting for Timberwolves media day on Monday and prefers the possibility of the Clippers -- as well as the New York Knicks, league sources said. Butler told the Timberwolves that he planned to leave the franchise in free agency next summer, sources said.

The Brooklyn Nets' ability to sign two max free agents in the summer will keep them in consideration for Butler, but he has prioritized the Clippers and Knicks over them, league sources said.
In any circumstance, Butler wants a trade to a team that plans to sign him to a five-year, maximum contract that could be worth $190 million in the summer, and his list could expand based upon the Timberwolves' and rival teams' willingness to negotiate a trade for him, league sources said.

Beezy

« Reply #20845 on: September 20, 2018, 10:56:02 AM »
I like Butler. I don't want my team to give Butler a max contract and make him the focus of our offense.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20846 on: September 23, 2018, 03:01:45 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24766934/minnesota-timberwolves-owner-glen-taylor-wants-jimmy-butler-trade-done-quickly

Taylor and Butler want a deal completed before the Timberwolves' first day of practice on Tuesday, which would require the Timberwolves to use Sunday and Monday to become more aggressive in gathering offers. Taylor's plan would be to sift through the offers, and bring those most appealing for Minnesota back to Butler and his agent, Bernie Lee. This way, the Wolves could learn which teams would interest Butler in signing an extension next summer, which is information that would allow the Wolves to get the best possible return on assets for Butler.

benjipwns

« Reply #20847 on: September 23, 2018, 03:11:40 AM »
Kinda crazy how fast this went from zero to sixty, apparently he had been feuding with KAT and Wiggins all last season and we never really heard about it. Also, that Scott Layden has a job in the NBA again even if Thibs oversees him.

Also also:
The list of organizations interested in talking further with Minnesota is significant, league sources said: Brooklyn, Detroit, Houston, the LA Clippers, Miami and Philadelphia are among the teams interested in probing for deals.
What are they going to offer? Andre? :lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20849 on: October 03, 2018, 02:07:17 AM »
I know its childish on my part but its hard for me to watch Lebron play for the Lakers and care the way I use to. Hopefully it passes after a few months and I can just enjoy the basketball.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20850 on: October 05, 2018, 12:58:16 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24897221/bob-voulgaris-hired-dallas-mavericks-director-quantitative-research-development

I wonder if Simmons is secretly a little jealous of his buddy here. I mean as jealous as any millionaire could be.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20851 on: October 12, 2018, 01:21:14 AM »

over/under podcast is always a bit of fun.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20852 on: October 16, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »

And the new season is finally here.

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (Season Openers tonight)
« Reply #20853 on: October 16, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »
Yeah. The more preseason I watched, the more I got use to Lebron with the Lakers. The team as constructed has problems but they will at least be more entertaining to watch than the Cavs were last season. They run. They have a number of people who can playmake and dribble so its just won't be Lebron 24/7 like it was in Cleveland. It should be more like the Miami years (although obviously not remotely as good)

As bad as I expect the Cavs to be, I'm still morbidly curious to see them so I will probably split my season focus with the Cavs and the Lakers.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20854 on: October 16, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »

The ringer nba live all day.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20855 on: October 16, 2018, 06:11:29 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #20856 on: October 16, 2018, 08:24:34 PM »
that Gordon Hayward LoL commercial omg  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #20857 on: October 17, 2018, 01:14:22 AM »
Yeah. The more preseason I watched, the more I got use to Lebron with the Lakers. The team as constructed has problems but they will at least be more entertaining to watch than the Cavs were last season. They run. They have a number of people who can playmake and dribble so its just won't be Lebron 24/7 like it was in Cleveland. It should be more like the Miami years (although obviously not remotely as good)

As bad as I expect the Cavs to be, I'm still morbidly curious to see them so I will probably split my season focus with the Cavs and the Lakers.

Friendship over with Green Shinobi, now Stoney Mason is my best friend.

Can't we all just be friends?
The Revolutionary Lakers Party of Los Angeles has unfortunately found some disturbing past statements in your record regarding the new Party Point-Secretary of the Central Starting Five Committee that implies deviationist thought. A struggle session may be helpful in your rehabilitation.

benjipwns

« Reply #20858 on: October 17, 2018, 01:55:28 AM »
https://twitter.com/KerithBurke/status/1051952357221617664

what's this "we" stuff? pretty sure Blaha (PUBH) was getting it right from day one smh

benjipwns

« Reply #20859 on: October 17, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »

:gladbron

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20860 on: October 17, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
Shai’s legit good too. Prob the best pg from this draft

Nola

« Reply #20861 on: October 17, 2018, 10:29:13 PM »
Pels opening game:

:whew

Beezy

« Reply #20862 on: October 17, 2018, 10:35:33 PM »
This Trier kid might be a steal.

benjipwns

benjipwns

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20865 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:16 AM »
Watched a few games last night. The Spurs were still the spurs. Even with everybody hurt they still played well and Derozan fits them perfectly.

The Suns are definitely a fun team to watch. They may still not make the playoffs this seasons, but they have a nice future core there.

Also caught the Cavs game. Unsurprisingly that team is gonna struggle with Kevin Love being the #1 focus on offense.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20867 on: October 18, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

In a move that could challenge the NCAA's monopoly on elite talent, the NBA's G League is creating a new venture as an alternative to the one-and-done route for the best American basketball prospects, league president Malcolm Turner told ESPN.

As part of a newly formed "professional path" starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft. It will target recent or would-be high school graduates who otherwise would have likely spent just one season playing college basketball, enticing them not only with a six-figure salary but also the opportunity to benefit from NBA infrastructure, as well as a bevy of off-court development programs "geared towards facilitating and accelerating their transition to the pro game," Turner said.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #20868 on: October 18, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
Fuck that's great news. Anything to fuck with the NCAA I'm all for.
vin

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20869 on: October 18, 2018, 06:50:02 PM »
Just get rid of the age minimum. :yuck

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #20870 on: October 18, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »
Yeah of course, but that requires a new CBA if I'm not mistaken.
vin

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20871 on: October 19, 2018, 01:35:34 AM »
Is that enough money to compete with NCAA? There was a recent court case that revealed that a B-grade prospect was offered 6 figures to play for Creighton.

Creighton.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:16:44 AM by ToxicAdam »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20872 on: October 20, 2018, 01:17:15 AM »
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 01:22:25 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #20873 on: October 20, 2018, 03:56:24 AM »
smh at that pronunciation

benjipwns

« Reply #20874 on: October 20, 2018, 03:58:13 AM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20875 on: October 21, 2018, 01:55:17 AM »
Punches thrown at the Lakers/Rockets game between Rondo, CP3, and Ingram.

It's unacceptable that this happened on an ESPN night and not a TNT one. Getting cheated out of a really fun post show.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20877 on: October 21, 2018, 10:45:45 PM »
I was watching that Lakers game. Rondo is the most immature "veteran" I've seen in quite awhile. Way to toss away a close game. At least Ingram has an age excuse for being stupid in that situation.

You can see Lebron holding back because he doesn't want to be the same guy he was in Cleveland but its tough sometimes.

Speaking of Cleveland.

benjipwns

« Reply #20878 on: October 22, 2018, 03:25:25 AM »
I never knew this before, but when Elvin Hayes played with the Rockets while they were still in San Diego, he played with just E or "E" on the back of his jersey. :lol

The other is a picture of a Bullets season when he just had "elvin" in all lowercase as his name on the back.

It also SPREAD, as this random Maryland guard, Howard White, copied it for two of the same seasons including the version with the quotation marks :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #20879 on: October 22, 2018, 03:28:38 AM »