Author Topic: Dragon Age 2 announced  (Read 14622 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Dragon Age 2 announced
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2010, 11:01:03 PM »
Now, the game mainly sold on console

:lol

Nailed it. All that needs to be said.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:12 PM »
Consoles once again funding great games since no one actually buys them on PC until they are 99 cents.

:bow2

co-sign this POWERFUL post.
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2010, 11:17:18 PM »
I don't really buy the explanation that the isometric view taxes the engine too much. Yeah, it pulls back and you get a wide view, but it also cuts down on draw distance. Oh well, I'm sure the modding community will come through with a mod within the first few weeks.
dog

Himu

« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »
I have no interest in DA2 now.
IYKYK

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
enjoy being nickel and dimed to death on every 75kb piece of dlc already on the disc, you worthless console turds
sup

Himu

« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2010, 11:28:48 PM »
THERE'S STILL HOPE

Attention:

This was just posted by Mike Laidlaw on the DA forums:

Hey folks,

Victor managed to hunt me down, and I wanted to clear up a few things with regards to what I'm seeing as the two major concerns on this thread.

First off, let's talk about the toolset issue. Obviously in this community there's going to be some concern that we wouldn't release a toolset, so let me clear the air a little: The tools we're using to make Dragon Age 2 are very, very close to the tools you guys have used to make your mods for DA:O. They're not identical, as we've made a few in-house improvements, but they're almost identical. As such, there isn't a new toolset to release, per se.

While we won't be releasing a toolset update in tandem with Dragon Age 2, we ARE investigating what it would take to update the community toolset to match ours, along with providing DA2 content in the future.

As to the subject of tactical view, I can confirm that we will not be doing a tactical view on consoles, though we are looking into some expanded party control that I think will make console players quite happy.

On the PC, however, we are still working with the camera to keep the key elements of the tactical experience there. I was actually playtesting some new camera code when Victor found me, in fact, so I can give you the latest news on that front.

While we likely won't pull as far up as we did in DA:O, I have always felt that the key to tactical play was actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders, which is what we're tuning now. So, this means you can still maneuver the camera around the battlefield and issue orders from a remote location, just as you could in Origins.

As you can probably tell from my phrasing, all of this is a bit in-flux right now, so things may change between now and ship, but I wanted to update you guys on the current direction of things.

Mike..

:omg
IYKYK

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2010, 11:31:57 PM »
also, i've seen every one of you gloating fucks stick your slobbering mugs in those gaming deal threads and post console game deals, so don't act like you  buy everything at $60 you hypocritical sonsofbitches
sup

Himu

« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2010, 11:33:09 PM »
:rofl
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2010, 11:38:31 PM »
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »
i don't even really care about dragon age

<- waited until it went on sale for $20 on gamersgate this week :lol
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2010, 11:43:55 PM »
paid too much
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46:24 PM »
probably
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2010, 12:00:59 AM »
It was "okay". PC gamers shouldn't be surprised; everything is migrating to consoles. Blizzard is really the last developer that has ignored the market and can afford to.
PSP

cool breeze

« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2010, 08:12:50 AM »
It's nothing new that Bioware is supporting consoles.  Dragon Age was the exception to all this, probably because it was in development for so long (2004 or 2005 I think).  Everything else like KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect were console games.  Dragon Age 2 is more with the times and all that.  As a sequel to Dragon Age, I'm not expecting much.  I hope they either go all the way and make it an action game with rpg elements like Mass Effect 2 where it has a different appeal or they do manage to make a solid rpg like the first game.  Previews make it sound like a weak genre blending game like Jade Empire and ME1.  But it'll probably end up being like KOTOR.

Plus, if I want to play more Dragon Age 1, I still haven't checked out the DLC or Awakening.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:15:13 AM by Linkzg »

Damian79

« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2010, 08:49:11 AM »
First bioware game i wont buy, and i even bought that shitty Jade Empire game,

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
 :piss PC gamers
cat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2010, 09:46:51 AM »
I lost count all the butthurt PC losers in the GAF thread... console is going on a roll with this :lol
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »
It's not like console gamers even care, since the console version will be exactly the same as DAO1.
dog

archie4208

« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2010, 10:02:06 AM »
But now PC gamers get to wallow in the same pool of crap as consolites.  :derp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
It's not like console gamers even care, since the console version will be exactly the same as DAO1.

I know that's why this is prime troll material. So good.
fat

Himu

« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »
DAO on pc featured the first 3d wrpg combat I actually LIKED that wasn't a Diablo clone due to the fact it aped BG combat and the isometric tactical combat mode. It single handedly made the game for me, that and the sheer variety of conflict situations.

I tried out NWN2 for two hours and the combat in that is "okay" but it feels loose, especially since you can't fucking drag and click to highlight and select all characters.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:33:36 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
Yeah, the combat was one of the best things about DAO. Dumbing it down like the way it seems they are is really disappointing.
dog

archie4208

« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »
WOW

That looks hot... leagues above the shitty original
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2010, 12:10:37 PM »
 :yuck
dog

archie4208

« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
The PC version looks exactly like the console version. The controls are simply different.

The exaggerated element you're seeing at the beginning is going to relate to the fact that the darkspawn are literally exploding left and right, and that Hawke has access to high-level abilities she normally wouldn't have (but which certainly exist in the game). It is over the top-- which is why Cassandra calls Varric on it a moment later.

Would we choose to show only the exaggerated portion and not the "real" combat portion? No-- but we didn't choose to put this out there, did we? Even so, as you say, you're free to comment on it as you wish.

If your comment is that you find it too cartoonish and over the top even so, that's fine. It's definitely a style change, and it's possible that once we put out our own (and more complete) gameplay video that some of you will still not like it. C'est la vie. I think we've been pretty clear about where we're going with this.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »
 :yuck :yuck
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2010, 01:37:55 PM »
I'll wait to play before getting too psychic.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2010, 12:59:09 PM »
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/974/dragon-age-ii-bioware-interview

Apparently there will be some kind of import feature but it doesn't exactly seem like a big deal or that it will matter much.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2010, 12:56:07 PM »
Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.

I have a feeling that hardcore PC fans won't like this.

The combat system is different on the PC versus the console version.

Anyway new trailer.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

archie4208

« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2010, 12:30:22 PM »
[youtube=560,345]7zg478Ui-jc[/youtube]

:'(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2010, 12:31:49 PM »
Bioware presents Peter Molyneux's Dragon Age 2.  :-\
dog

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2010, 12:34:09 PM »
Dragon Age is the best RPG of this gen.  I was completely immersed into Ferelden.  The relationships that you form with the characters is just amazing for a game.  There's so much voiced dialogue and so many choices in the dialogue trees.  My Clementine was head over heels in love with Leilana...for the first time in a video game, I actually cared about the characters and what was going to happen to them.  Very disappointed that the Awakening expansion didn't have any of your party except the idiot dwarf.  It doesn't look like DA2 will continue the story, either. 
hey

Stoney Mason

« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »
If that's the version of combat for the console version why do you guys care?

Isn't the PC version still the same old combat.

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2010, 12:36:28 PM »
How awesome were Alistair and Leilana and all the other characters?  They were memorable, had fantastic voice acting and dialogue, had real personalities... I've never experienced this in a game, or at least not as effectively as it was done in Dragon Age.  It's seriously a masterpiece... pretty much the pinnacle of the genre.
hey

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »
How awesome were Alistair and Leilana and all the other characters?  They were memorable, had fantastic voice acting and dialogue, had real personalities... I've never experienced this in a game, or at least not as effectively as it was done in Dragon Age.  It's seriously a masterpiece... pretty much the pinnacle of the genre.

Have you ever played Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment?
dog

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »
I've played Planescape: Torment and found the dialogue to be pretentious and convoluted.  It's barely even a game -- more like a weak fantasy novel.  The vast majority of the time you're reading, not playing.  The gameplay's mediocre at best.  Dragon Age shits all over it in every regard.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:53:17 PM by CHOW CHOW »
hey

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
Games aren't like books, where one that released decades ago is still as good as one that's released in present day.  It's a different type of media because books are just text, while games are visuals, audio, physics, animation, etc.  A game from 20 years ago simply can't be better than the AAA stuff from today, period.  Play the original NES Super Mario Bros. now and then put in a current gen game and tell me which is better.  Games don't hold up like that..

That's why DA, Mass Effect 2, New Vegas, etc., shit all over Planescape and the like.
hey

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »
Sorry, I just don't agree with that. Planescape: Torment is still my top RPG, I could easily see myself playing it again a few years from now and still enjoying it just as much as I did the first time I played it. Characters, story, sidequests, writing, and world won't suddenly stop being interesting to me.

To me, that's like saying that because a modern scifi movie has more realistic looking special effects that 2001: A Space Odyssey or Blade Runner will stop being great scifi movies. If you want to disagree with that, fine, but that's how I feel about the whole thing.

And Dragon Age: Origins isn't one of my top RPGs because it starts to drag during the middle [especially when you start going through the Dwarven mines, that part just went on too long, I thought], I also thought that there just weren't enough sidequests compared to other, similar RPGs. Really great in most other ways though.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:04:07 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »
You're also a nerd. Chow is straight alpha. Know your place. Nerd.

Dragon Age > Planescape

spoiler (click to show/hide)
* even tho I think DAO sucks
[close]
fat

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #160 on: November 07, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »
Sorry, I just don't agree with that. Planescape: Torment is still my top RPG, I could easily see myself playing it again a few years from now and still enjoying it just as much as I did the first time I played it. Characters, story, sidequests, writing, and world won't suddenly stop being interesting to me.

To me, that's like saying that because a modern scifi movie has more realistic looking special effects that 2001: A Space Odyssey or Blade Runner will stop being great scifi movies. If you want to disagree with that, fine, but that's how I feel about the whole thing.

the gfx suck

blade runner doesn't hold up either btw.. so many better sci-fi movies came out

district 9
the island
chronicles of riddick
hey

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2010, 01:07:09 PM »
dog

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2010, 01:16:47 PM »
[youtube=560,345]7zg478Ui-jc[youtube]

:'(

:o @ 2.45 - awesome exploding guts spell. Was that also in the in the first one?

Flying gibs are in - that's awesome.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
I just got Dragon Age: Origins, what's the easiest class to play as?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »
Mage
fat

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »
be a human because the human origin story is fantastic... you're the prince or princess in a castle and it's pretty epic, i won't say anymore.

actually, i'd just do all the origin stories first with various classes and races and then pick which one you liked the best.  each story is only a few hours
hey

« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2010, 04:21:59 PM »
Just saw some screens and videos for DA2. I haven't finished 1 yet - but I'm already looking forward to the sequel.

I hear Bioware is slowly trying to progress from the generic fantasy setting. At first, I was concerned since moving from the traditional fantasy template helped to facilitate my growing disinterest in SE's Final Fantasy games. But while DA is awesome in terms of storyline, pace, and characters, it's also outrageously generic in its setting and races. It's essentially more of a mature Lord of the Rings as opposed to A Song of Ice and Fire, by which the game is supposedly inspired.

If they could break DA2 away from certain antiquated fantasy stereotypes that has saturated the first game, while maintaining all the aforementioned good things from the original, I'd be looking at a personal GOTY.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:24:30 PM by Nintendosbooger »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2010, 08:12:15 PM »
Just saw some screens and videos for DA2. I haven't finished 1 yet - but I'm already looking forward to the sequel.

I hear Bioware is slowly trying to progress from the generic fantasy setting. At first, I was concerned since moving from the traditional fantasy template helped to facilitate my growing disinterest in SE's Final Fantasy games. But while DA is awesome in terms of storyline, pace, and characters, it's also outrageously generic in its setting and races. It's essentially more of a mature Lord of the Rings as opposed to A Song of Ice and Fire, by which the game is supposedly inspired.

If they could break DA2 away from certain antiquated fantasy stereotypes that has saturated the first game, while maintaining all the aforementioned good things from the original, I'd be looking at a personal GOTY.

Wow, you're alright when you're not trolling!
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2010, 09:26:35 PM »
Yeah, DAO's setting and plot [aside from a few elements] were really generic. Games like Planescape: Torment and even, more recently, The Witcher have unique settings, plots, and details that Bioware just didn't manage with the first game. Hopefully they can do that with the sequel.
dog

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2010, 09:30:48 PM »

the gfx suck

blade runner doesn't hold up either btw.. so many better sci-fi movies came out

district 9
the island
chronicles of riddick

:avatar

Shit taste.

DA:O is great, but comparing mediocre sci fi to greats like Blade Runner  :'(
◕‿◕

cool breeze

« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »
[youtube=560,345]1ojefQlGTzE[/youtube]

I don't think it looks bad.

I mean, it looks bad.  Ugly ui, uglier than DA1, and bad camera; but the combat looks fine.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2010, 04:48:44 PM »
[youtube=560,345]1ojefQlGTzE[/youtube]

I don't think it looks bad.

I mean, it looks bad.  Ugly ui, uglier than DA1, and bad camera; but the combat looks fine.

???

how is that possible
乱学者

Stoney Mason

« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »
Yeah that UI is a bit uglier. I don't know. Something about the icons on the bottom seem uglier along with the bars instead of sort of the circular thing you got in Dragon Age. But it all seems functionally the exact same as the original. As far as the camera stuff its hard to tell until we actually play it. The majority of battles in Dragon Age were relatively simple affairs where you didn't need to have some crazy zoomed out camera. There were the occasionally more spread out battles where zooming far out a bit was more useful.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2010, 05:03:28 PM »
Dragon Age 1 was easily moddable, so the UI shouldn't be a problem on PC.

Good to see you can still play it tactically though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:05:44 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
Uh that looks fuck awesome. Notice how the "tactical" way is absolute shit, btw. Hawk is a badass, you see that nicca fly.
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »
Tactical mode :rock
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »
Wow that video is awesome. Tactical mode looks boss, as does the action mode. I should get off my ass and finally pick up DA one day. Should have got it while I was waiting for Cataclysm to come out

Himu

« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2010, 08:51:22 PM »
That looks bad.
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2010, 03:46:35 AM »
meh,looks like DA
played that game for 3 hours and then throw it into garbage
bioware :piss2