Author Topic: No more sales figures  (Read 22308 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: No more sales figures
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2010, 12:58:27 AM »
So did this whole thing come about because NeoGAF was regularly and knowingly hosting NPD sales data, which is known to be a for-pay set of information, with non-distribution as one of its clauses?

If I remember correctly, NPD actually made an exception where GAF would only posted the hardware totals and the top 20 software.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2010, 01:04:24 AM »
So did this whole thing come about because NeoGAF was regularly and knowingly hosting NPD sales data, which is known to be a for-pay set of information, with non-distribution as one of its clauses?

If I remember correctly, NPD actually made an exception where GAF would only posted the hardware totals and the top 20 software.

This.

A lot more and complete numbers use to leak back in the old days and NPD didn't like it. So Evilore spun it as GAF was so big time that NPD was going to make special arrangements with them in the form of the top ten and the numbers so they wouldn't discuss the leaked numbers. I guess GAF wasn't so big time after all...

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2010, 01:23:10 AM »
Good job soldiers. We have secured more Dead Rising. Bannings for everyone who didnt buy it. Maybe you'll learn to support good games.

:bow Madden 11

Demi's right. It feels good to support good games. :smug

Glad to see this type of attitude around here. Guwange comes out November 10th btw
BiSH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2010, 01:25:48 AM »
I dont know if you are making fun of us or not. But you bought Dead Rising so you can stay.
fat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2010, 01:40:19 AM »
I'm not. I'm just saying a very good game is coming out on November 10th!
BiSH

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2010, 01:54:17 AM »
"Nintendo, meanwhile, sold 403,000 of its handheld DS systems in the U.S., and 254,000 Wii consoles. Sony would not disclose how many PlayStations it sold during the month."

:lol

:lol This is much better than when numbers were released.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2010, 02:04:11 AM »
"Nintendo, meanwhile, sold 403,000 of its handheld DS systems in the U.S., and 254,000 Wii consoles. Sony would not disclose how many PlayStations it sold during the month."

:lol

:lol This is much better than when numbers were released.

you should see the GAF thread now  :lol

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2010, 03:01:36 AM »
Good to see Nintendo can no longer get by selling a console with no games. Try harder next year

360 might be moving into #1 USA position. Dudebros kicking casuals to the curb :rock

TripleA

« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2010, 03:24:17 AM »
:lol @ this thread

Great last hurrah for NPD threads. Hopefully it'll deal a critical blow to TripleA's posting frequency.

Be honest, you want to fuck me.

r u fat?

I'll be anything for you

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #189 on: October 15, 2010, 03:53:28 AM »
 :piss Sony :piss2 PR

There’s no question we’re experiencing incredible momentum behind the PS3 this year and this holiday is already stacking up to be another great season of innovation and family fun for consumers. PlayStation Move is performing extremely well at retail and we’ll have plenty of new games coming to keep consumers busy this holiday from our first party studios and publishing partners, such as SingStar Dance, The Fight, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11.

With a growing array of content options on PlayStation Network, including today’s announcement that Netflix will be natively accessible on all PS3s, we are confident that the PS3 will be the console of choice for many families this holiday and beyond.

Oh boy they sabotaged NPD...fucking losers,crash and burn

Apparently top 20 is in question also...we might get combined retail-digital chart,with everything mixed up
 :rofl

cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2010, 06:31:22 AM »
Some sales figures...  :piss sony  :piss2

Activision's Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, only managed "a fairly dreadful" 86,000 units in its first five days.

Activision Blizzard sales were down 41 per cent, EA down 42 per cent, Take-Two down 170 per cent and THQ down 25 per cent compared to the same month last year.

Released in August, EA's Madden NFL 11 slowed down in its second month on the market, with unit sales down 11 per cent

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-10-15-new-game-releases-disappoint-in-the-us
You need an account... :yuck
cat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »
How is take 2 down so much with red dead, mafia and a few days of civ 5 ???

Gaf thread is fucking hilarious now. distinguished mentally-challenged fellows defending ioi of all people and chinese whispers over everything npd does.
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2010, 06:47:45 AM »
sorry npd sucks now...and they also make numbers up,i'm like 101% sure in that...statistics is art of lying,everything can be tweaked(to some degree of course) :D

npd :piss2
cat

archie4208

« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2010, 10:00:52 AM »
Activision's Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, only managed "a fairly dreadful" 86,000 units in its first five days.

:rofl  Good jon flooding the market with shitty games, Activision.

archie4208

« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
Probably not, but at least I can learn the real guitar :rock

spoiler (click to show/hide)
In 2011 :'(
[close]

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2010, 10:48:30 AM »
312k for Ps3? That's pretty good with no big releases.

Poor Wii. Last place in Japan and in America now. Probably in Europe too...

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #196 on: October 15, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
Totally forgot about Metroid Other M. Looks like it bombed harrrrrrrd.  :lol

Good to see how the Wii is failing on all fronts. I've waited for this day for a long time.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #197 on: October 15, 2010, 12:00:13 PM »
wait.  what's this about learning the real instrument in rock band 3?

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »
Totally forgot about Metroid Other M. Looks like it bombed harrrrrrrd.  :lol

Good to see how the Wii is failing on all fronts. I've waited for this day for a long time.

But the holidays are always good to the Wii. I suspect it will reclaim most YTD this year, in all territories. I expect them to be in trouble next year. Nothing of note is coming out, except for Zelda which is not a system seller.
sad

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2010, 12:17:12 PM »

theres a real guitar (like really real, with strings and an amp in) being released that you can use in RB3. and there are training modes that will teach your how to play the songs for real.
nat

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »

theres a real guitar (like really real, with strings and an amp in) being released that you can use in RB3. and there are training modes that will teach your how to play the songs for real.

this also extends to the keyboard part of it as well (at least you'll use all the keys in its expert mode)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:24:50 PM by Purple Filth »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
Yeah, what the fuck is up with that too? You make a big deal about real instrument and you can't even get your real guitar out at the games release? The fuck?

I think Guitar Hero is the funner game out of the two, the notes just feel more accurate or there are just more notes per-song. I also enjoy that Guitar Hero just lets you have nearly the entire setlist from the get-go in quick play. I haven't even gotten close to getting all the Rock Band 2 songs unlocked because the tour sucks and I don't want to play Paramore 100 times to finish challenges in order to unlock songs.
That's kind of unfair; yeah, it should be available through Quickplay if you're uninterested in some other mode. But the Tour in RB2 opens up new stuff quite quickly, and you're never stuck playing a song you don't like too much. Compared to RB1's Solo Tour -- where if you were stuck on a certain song, it was just tough luck, so-sad, byeeee -- this is bliss. I actually just re-played through World Tour in RB2 to help a friend pop the Road Dog 'cheev. Not a chore.

archie4208

« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
i wonder how many times will I make a setlist of the three quickest songs just to proceed in Rock Band 3.

Zero.  All the songs are unlocked from the start.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »
September was also the anticipated launch of PlayStation Move, Sony's motion controller peripheral. Sony did not disclose unit sales for the device, however. Pachter said his estimated U.S. sales for Move were "modest."

"We believe Sony's Move controller had a modest debut, however, with an estimated 300,000 units sold, including console bundles," he said in his report.

DOA

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »
I think 300k is pretty impressive.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »
It's gonna plummet every month after that and nobody I know is talking about it or even owns one which means Sony will have to subsidize everyone to make titles for it and its tiny user base. Might be more successful in Europe but Sony being so quiet about sales numbers for it in America speaks volumes.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »
Well it's better than I expected lol

Purple Filth

« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »
More than expected actually.

Will see if the holiday push will help (with Kinect coming out also it should be hilarious  :lol)

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2010, 07:27:12 AM »
Move bomba...only 300k hardcore stards?pfft
In Europe they said 1.5 million sold(shipped of course,lol),software is nowhere to be found on charts.In UK sports shit debuted at 14k,lol

Some new sales figures

Dead Rising 2 -- 370K across all platforms
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep -- 225K
Metroid: Other M -- 173K

It looks like we won't get top 20

:poop
 :poop sony :poop

About Wii...never underestimate casuals,never
cat

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2010, 07:30:55 AM »
Move did better than I expected. It just needs more software support.

pilonv1

« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2010, 07:58:54 AM »
Move did better than I expected. It just needs more software support.

They should have waited until they had some defining software instead of shoehorning it into old games and hd wii clones. But if they waited another year it would have been another 12 months removed from the motion fad.

Sometimes it's sad how reactionary this industry is. 
itm

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2010, 08:06:17 AM »
DR2 only selling 370k across all platforms kinda seems like it underperformed. At least, I bet it didn't come close to Capcom's expectations. I wonder what the breakdown was. 245k 360, 124k ps3?
BiSH

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2010, 08:58:14 AM »
Oh yeah, that's right. For some reason I thought it came out in the middle of the month. Got it confused with Reach.
BiSH

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #213 on: October 16, 2010, 09:13:55 AM »
It was only out for a few days. Granted most games sales are front loaded but Dead Rising struck me as a game that was a slow burner. While it may not have been a massive hit the first month, I think it'll sell consistently over the next couple and be really successful.

It's not like it's an unknown, it's a sequel. Didn't DR1 do 600k or so its first month back in 2006?

edit - nope, 337k.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:17:23 AM by AdmiralViscen »

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2010, 09:36:14 AM »
Right, but DR2 isn't different enough to turn it into a slow burner. I can't imagine Capcom is disappointed with that first month n e wayz

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2010, 09:50:59 AM »
I dunno, Capcom shipped 1.8 million copies of DR2 and it had a seemingly sizable marketing budget (I saw tons of commercials for it and I almost never watch TV). 370k isn't bad at all, but then again Keiji Inafune thinks selling 5 million copies of RE5 was still no good. And let's not forget he wants Dead Rising to replace RE as Capcom's #1 franchise!
BiSH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2010, 09:59:40 AM »
Those sales are about right for DR 2. It's a fairly hardcore series.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »
This is purely anecdotal, but almost every place around me is sold out of the single wand pack Move units.  I'm wondering if maybe they had a low production run for the first batch.  Unless I'm missing something, they've been kind of low-key with the launch marketing - I haven't seen that many ads or displays or anything.  I guess it makes sense to save the big advertising dollars for a bit closer to the holidays, but it just strikes me as a little weird.

Big problem (I think, anyway) is package confusion.  Look at how many different packs they already have - single wand, single nunchuk,  wand + camera + game (but no nunchuk), camera alone.  They're depending on salespeople to explain what a customer does or doesn't need to make this thing work, and a salesperson is gonna try to upsell you that $100 pack + $30 Nav controller every time ("You need ALL this, trust me.").

Also, there's hardly any games to play on it right now other than a few variations of shit you've already played before.  Most everything is coming next year (including about a bazillion upscaled Wii ports, I'm guessing).

That said, I'll probably pick up a wand for shooting games and just fucking around.  I already have a camera I bought for LittleBigPlanet (which turned out to be a huge pain in the ass to use).
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
Uh 370k is great for it being out so late in the month, imo. For all we know it could be like 300k 360, 60k PS3, 500 PC

(which it totally is)
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #219 on: October 16, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »
Member of the exclusive 300k Movetard club  8)

Purple Filth

« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »
This is purely anecdotal, but almost every place around me is sold out of the single wand pack Move units.  I'm wondering if maybe they had a low production run for the first batch.  Unless I'm missing something, they've been kind of low-key with the launch marketing - I haven't seen that many ads or displays or anything.  I guess it makes sense to save the big advertising dollars for a bit closer to the holidays, but it just strikes me as a little weird.

They have a few ads but its rumored that their "big push" will be in November or so (they have this thing with Coco-Cola that seems to not have started yet).

« Reply #221 on: October 16, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
 :S

My parents got my wife and I a Move starter bundle (camera, waggle wand and that Wii sports knock off game)... I don't know why they got it for us, neither of us ever showed any interest in it. I think they were just being nice or something... do I take it back or be a nice son and keep it? We'll have to buy another stupid waggle thing for the two of us to actually play together...

And also, the only upcoming things that are even remotely interesting are the Time Crisis bundle and the port of Dead Space Extraction...
野球

« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
Honestly, I'd take it back and just tell them it didn't work properly. That $100 could go to something you actually want right now instead of something you may use a few times.

That's what I was thinking, but it would be awkward if they came over and wanted to play it with us or something.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2010, 09:28:08 PM »
:S

My parents got my wife and I a Move starter bundle (camera, waggle wand and that Wii sports knock off game)... I don't know why they got it for us, neither of us ever showed any interest in it. I think they were just being nice or something... do I take it back or be a nice son and keep it? We'll have to buy another stupid waggle thing for the two of us to actually play together...

And also, the only upcoming things that are even remotely interesting are the Time Crisis bundle and the port of Dead Space Extraction...

I'm probably the lone vote, but I suggest going for the "good son-in-law" route. If they come over for parties or dinners, and ask you to show them how that thing they bought works, you're hosed if you don't have it. If you can show them that it doesn't work, they won't buy you another mystery Sony hardware, and if it works (by some odd twist of fate) then you might actually have fun. In the meantime, it's not costing you anything to keep it.

« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2010, 09:33:58 PM »
Exactly. It's not like I need the $100 or anything, I'm just stumped that they bought it for us. Maybe it's because they play the Wii all the time with my sister and her kids and they we'd have fun or something... who knows... my parents are so technically behind that they're still AFRAID TO SHOP ONLINE.

If we do keep it, we'll still need to get another one of those damned elusive controllers so we don't have to play the computer, though.
野球

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »
I think you should keep it. You know they were out of their element buying it for you and it always sucks to spurn something like that.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2010, 12:19:18 AM »
Keep it just in case Metal Gear Rising is playable with it :bow2
Drunk

pilonv1

« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2010, 02:04:14 AM »

They have a few ads but its rumored that their "big push" will be in November or so (they have this thing with Coco-Cola that seems to not have started yet).

You mean with the launch of GT5? :teehee
itm

« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2010, 02:13:40 AM »
I think you should keep it. You know they were out of their element buying it for you and it always sucks to spurn something like that.

Yep. I was actually curious to see what people who've played the Move think of it before I crack it open, but I'm guessing Linkzg is the only one here who's done so. :lol
野球

Himu

« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2010, 02:17:16 AM »
370k at the end of the month is underperforming now?

::)
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2010, 03:03:04 AM »
You are not a sales expert Himu.

Some other news from shack

The NPD Group will be releasing its Games Industry: Total Consumer Spend report shortly, which details the $3.7 billion spent on retail games in the US in the first half of 2010.

The report also shows that between $2.6 and $2.9 billion was spent on "used games, game rentals, subscriptions, digital full game downloads, social network games, downloadable content, and mobile game apps."

Now, it is likely that used games account for a large percentage of that figure, but it is interesting to see that this much revenue is being generated from secondary sales, DLC, digital games, and more.

No wonder that publishers are moaning about used sales.

cat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2010, 05:53:57 AM »
370k at the end of the month is underperforming now?

::)

Considering they shipped 1.8 million copies, I'm assuming they expected it to do better, even if they only had 5 days of sales. I'm sure it will outsell DR1 when it's all said and done, but I don't think Capcom is going to hit the 2.5-3 million they were hoping for.
BiSH

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
Speaking of MOVE games. I'd be keen to check out Ruse, I mean, that's one of the things I want with these new fangled motion things. RTS on my console please.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »
370k for a non-major release is pretty good especially when you consider it was the end of the month. It's not like DR has the fanbase and DR1 came out like 4 years ago. DR1 also sold like 1 million, and I doubt all of those people would be willing to come back. Factor in Case Zero, fact it sold 370k across all platforms at the end of the month, the marketing on tv, and I'm sure it'll do better this month. Wasn't DR2 out in September for only two days? Two days and it does 370k? That's fucking amazing for a sequel of a game that came out FOUR YEARS AGO and is a hardcore game to boot.

but 2-3 million hit? lmao dead rising 2? lmao

We'll see about that.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2010, 11:34:56 AM »
I told you all Move would so great.
USA

Himu

« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
oh shut the fuck up
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2010, 11:39:17 AM »

Yep. I was actually curious to see what people who've played the Move think of it before I crack it open, but I'm guessing Linkzg is the only one here who's done so. :lol

The Move is awesome, don't listen to Team Xbox here who purposely will tell you to return it and get the LATEST XBOX EXCLUSIVE. There's no way you won't have fun with it, and your parents thought enough about it to get it for you.

Green Reporters response to you is about as sperglordy as it gets in video game world. "
Again, just tell them it didn't work. Do your parents know much about technology? If not, I'd suggest telling them some bullshit mumbo-jumbo about how the camera isn't calibrated properly living arrangement and you're going to wait until they release an updated version. By next year, I'm sure they'll have Time Crisis move bundles (or other bundles) at newegg or somewhere for cheap.
" REALLY? You belong on GameFAQS.
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
oh shut the fuck up

No seriously, i'm tired of this bullshit going on here, no matter how purposely trolly it is. The Move is a fun thing. It's not this big failure (as the sales have proven) that Team Xbox wishes to spin it into. For fucks sake, it sold more than most games if you take it out of the accessory category.

Telling someone to make up some arbitrary fake excuse just to return a product that was a gift (which will hurt their feelings without a doubt) is borderline insane. Theres people in here telling him to return it when they've never touched it outside of the local gamestop. The only people who could really fairly give a description here is Linkzg and myself.
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
It's gonna plummet every month after that and nobody I know is talking about it or even owns one which means Sony will have to subsidize everyone to make titles for it and its tiny user base. Might be more successful in Europe but Sony being so quiet about sales numbers for it in America speaks volumes.

This is even more ludicrous. As titles like DJ Hero shown, the first month of sales of a peripheral based product are never a total judge. And that's even using the opposite because DJ Hero bombed fucking hard in it's first month, wheres Move sold pretty god damn well. 

USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2010, 11:46:47 AM »
Oh and since I can't fucking edit, I forgot to add the point about DJ Hero, DJ Hero ended up becoming the most profitable new IP of last year.
USA