Author Topic: October NPD  (Read 10786 times)

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
Re: October NPD
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2010, 06:23:33 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Tony Hawk has been trash since THPS4. Ever since they removed the stage time limits and started adding all of that Jackass shit to the games, it's been unbelievably awful. Put a bullet into this franchise already.
BiSH

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2010, 06:31:15 AM »
Tony Hawk: Shred sold
spoiler (click to show/hide)
3000 copies
[close]

Bizarre died for their sins
itm

Himu

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2010, 08:38:48 AM »
The Wii isn't much more than a toy you pull out every Thanksgiving and Christmas for family fun. Nintendo seemed to think it would dominate family rooms but the 360 and PS3 made better, faster strides in that area (Blu Ray, Netflix, movies etc); Nintendo eventually jumped on that bandwagon but it's pretty late now.

Rock Band/GH are still wildly popular, but that audience has reached its saturation point; you can't expect a casual audience to continue buying the same product and accessories over and over again. Likewise Wii Sports satisfies its audience, making stuff like Wii Party rather irrelevant.

The failure of the Wii is in the game designer's inability to create new games to further captivate the casual audience reeled in by Wii Sports.

Non-peripheral music games are pretty much dead now as well. Shame, because I always preferred non-peripheral music games like Parappa.
IYKYK

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2010, 09:54:14 AM »
Well the GAF shills are in full force for their companies  :lol

ouch @ Tony Hawk and that cow needs to be placed in the slaughter house.

and according to the comparisons to last year 360 and PS3 basically swapped hardware numbers while nintendo's numbers just fell.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2010, 09:58:58 AM »
The funny part is that if they had just made regular old classic Tony Hawk they would have sold more and it would have cost less to make. They have no understanding of that market at all. If they put a classic HD edition of the old school Tony Hawk games on Xbox Live they would make more money than they have on that Tony Hawk board.

That's what happens when you chase fads like the Wii board and try to Guitar Hero everybody with peripherals. People lose their jobs and the franchise dies.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »
It's really crazy that the PS3 isn't beating the 360 every month though, but Ive been around folks that proclaimed "Once they're both the same price, 360 is finished." for far too long.

The thing is it's not 2005 anymore. That perceived tech advantage that the PS 3 used to hold doesn't really exist anymore. When you go buy a new 360 now its comparable to the PS 3 via hard drive size, and such. The only real advantage the PS 3 still has is blu-ray and I just don't think that is the draw DVD players originally were like with the PS 2. Not to mention a shitty economy and the arcade unit for MS really helps out. Hell I bought a refurbished unit for 99 dollars this month at gamestop. I debated getting a PS 3 but then just said fuck it. I'd rather replace my dying 360 and keep the extra money for myself.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »

Also I'm glad for Fable III and Xbox 360. It's really crazy that the PS3 isn't beating the 360 every month though, but Ive been around folks that proclaimed "Once they're both the same price, 360 is finished." for far too long.
I'm tired of posting something about my 360 on Facebook and having all the bros tell me to buy a PS3  ::)  I have one, dipshits.  Jesus Christ.  I guess the PS3 is officially the cool underdog now for bros.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2010, 11:43:30 AM »
Pachter estimates total unit sales for the first six weeks on the market

With firm sales figures still unavailable, US analyst Michael Pachter has said that he believes Sony’s PlayStation Move controller has sold 400k units in the US since its launch in the territory in mid-September.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41847/Move-sales-pegged-at-400k-in-US

September estimate was 300k

So if we assume that average person bought bundle(wand+camera),wand and navigation controller...about 100k people own "Move"

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:51:58 AM by maxy »
cat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »

Or fuck it, do Pro Skater IV and have Tony skating on the milky way or some equally crazy shit.

If they did a Silver Surfer game with that Tony Hawk board I would totally buy it.
sup

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »

Also I'm glad for Fable III and Xbox 360. It's really crazy that the PS3 isn't beating the 360 every month though, but Ive been around folks that proclaimed "Once they're both the same price, 360 is finished." for far too long.
I'm tired of posting something about my 360 on Facebook and having all the bros tell me to buy a PS3  ::)  I have one, dipshits.  Jesus Christ.  I guess the PS3 is officially the cool underdog now for bros.

I added you as a friend on psn, buy a cheap version of the original street fighters 4 and kick my ass papi :-*
Drunk

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2010, 02:55:38 PM »

Or fuck it, do Pro Skater IV and have Tony skating on the milky way or some equally crazy shit.

If they did a Silver Surfer game with that Tony Hawk board I would totally buy it.

With Kinect support :o
SRY

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »
that'd be pretty awesome, then you could bust out with the power cosmic
sup

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »
Let's make this game, Eel.
SRY

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2010, 03:02:32 PM »

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock
乱学者

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »
Let's make this game, Eel.

I have no coding skills whatsoever, but I have read a lot of Silver Surfer comics!  I am pretty sure this serves as a qualification to make Move and Kinect games.
sup

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2010, 03:33:20 PM »

CBG

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »
I really want Neversoft to come back and do another regular Tony Hawk game. Just reboot the series or something, but retain the core gameplay. I own every game in the series except THUG2 and American Wasteland. I love Skate, don't get me wrong, but I dearly miss new Tony Hawk games coming out.
SRY

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
I'm sure Nintendo is planning to drop the Wii to $149.  Wii Party tanking is just a sign that the Wii bubble has long since burst but I think we all knew that.  Except for the insane 3 million sales in December 2009, the Wii for the past two years has normalized, sales wise.  Wii Fit is almost three years old and soccer moms have long since moved onto something else.  Old people are still probably playing Wii Bowling and not getting much else.  In fact, I'd say the mass majority of Wiis are collecting dust, handed off to a nephew or niece, or in a box in a closet.

The PS3 doing what it is isn't surprising.  Sony lost the casual market from the beginning to the Xbox 360.  The obvious proof was that multiplatform sales were always 2-3x what PS3 had.  Since most casual gamers will just buy what their friends own and play, it is inevitable that 360 sales would maintain and PS3 would always be struggling.  Nobody gives a rat's ass about what Sony is dishing up these days.  GT5 will have the console see some temporary marginal gains but it will go back to where it was in two or three months.

Edit: I too won't be surprised if Wii gets dropped in support for the 3DS.  Nintendo has never really shown much respect for their fans.  I could see Wii being dropped for the 3DS, first party software-wise.
🍆🍆

Oblivion

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2010, 07:00:51 PM »
Oh shit, Wii Party was developed by EAD? I thought it was some Hudson shit to replace Mario Party. :lol

Wow, that makes it much worse...

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »
Software sells hardware, and games wise there's no reason to buy a Wii - nor has there been for some time. The gimmick worked for a long time but Nintendo missed out by not doing anything interesting with the console.

The same discussions we heard about how amazing x game would be on the Wii when it was revealed are STILL going on.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
Holy shit, MadWorld first month > combined Vanquish numbers.

:lol  Where's your god now  :lol

But really that is sad, Vanquish looked neat.
sad

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
I can't wait for nintendo to release a new console, its been 9 years.

I'm glad they overclocked the gamecube so I didn't have to : :meeble
sad

Diunx

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »

Vanquish is fucking awesome, but apparently gamers are happy just playing the same old shit shooters, I bet the first cod map pack is gonna sell more in 1 hour than Vanquish will in its lifetime smh.
Drunk

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2010, 11:34:08 PM »

SEGA's advertising sucks, lol. What I've seen of Vanquish looked pretty neat, certainly more interesting than the Gears and other cover-shooter games.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2010, 11:38:40 PM »
Vanquish isnt that special guys. But continue deluding yourselves
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2010, 12:04:43 AM »
but demi, it's japanese!
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2010, 12:20:50 AM »
Today, a number of analysts--Wilson included--circulated notes to investors offering their takes on what did and didn't live up to expectations. While NBA 2K11 and Fallout: New Vegas both exceeded Wilson's expectations, many of the month's other high-profile games did not. In particular, Wilson called NBA Jam for the Wii and EA MMA "dismal failures so far." According to analyst notes, neither game broke the 50,000-sold mark.

Remember in that Wii thread where I said nobody in their right mind was going to pay $50 dollars for a modern day version of NBA Jam and that it should be an XBLA title with XBLA pricing.

Yeah.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:23:22 AM by Stoney Mason »

pilonv1

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2010, 12:29:05 AM »
But EA sabotaged it themselves! Just like RE4
itm

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2010, 12:37:47 AM »
it's pretty obvious people are just getting tired of paying $50-$60 for games in general, unless they're bang for the buck games like CoD or New Vegas

The publisher solution to this growing problem, of course, will be to sell you half a game for less money and make up some of the rest via dlc  (which some are already doing at $60)
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2010, 12:44:41 AM »
it's pretty obvious people are just getting tired of paying $50-$60 for games in general, unless they're bang for the buck games like CoD or New Vegas

The publisher solution to this growing problem, of course, will be to sell you half a game for less money and make up some of the rest via dlc  (which some are already doing at $60)

THQ has recently said more games should be $40.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20022646-17.html

But yeah I agree. Most game consumers are pretty value conscious nowadays. So unless your game has a lot of modes or is a pretty substantial game in length consumers are passing on it. It's hard to compete with games like COD or Reach that have a shitload of content with the multiplayer or games like Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect or New Vegas, or Assassin's Creed that simply have a lot of content in the SP. Games that can't compete with that have no chance at $60.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:49:36 AM by Stoney Mason »

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2010, 01:47:43 AM »
SEGA's advertising sucks, lol.

I don't even think they advertised it outside of Japan. :lol

Still the best TPS ever created though. Someday the mainstream will learn to identify quality.
BiSH

cool breeze

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2010, 01:55:20 AM »
Sega is cool because they published two games I really liked this year (Vanquish and Alpha Protocol)

But they also suck because both bombed horribly and there is no chance for sequels  :'(

and according to gaf, Kirby Epic Yawn did worse than Wii Party at around 100,000.  To put that into perspective, more people bought Fallout New Vegas for the PC AND at a store.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:57:36 AM by Linkzg »

pilonv1

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2010, 04:11:36 AM »
Exactly. Name one where it has. I bet you cant.
itm

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2010, 04:14:19 AM »
I never said that was a problem with video games exclusively!
BiSH

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2010, 07:02:01 AM »
I'm not sure why people thought NBA Jam was going to be big.  A quick look at Wikipedia shows that the series ended in handheld hell before discontinued.  It's a dead franchise that never had nostalgia going for it like some people believed.  Time to move on.
🍆🍆

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2010, 07:13:24 AM »
Today, a number of analysts--Wilson included--circulated notes to investors offering their takes on what did and didn't live up to expectations. While NBA 2K11 and Fallout: New Vegas both exceeded Wilson's expectations, many of the month's other high-profile games did not. In particular, Wilson called NBA Jam for the Wii and EA MMA "dismal failures so far." According to analyst notes, neither game broke the 50,000-sold mark.

Remember in that Wii thread where I said nobody in their right mind was going to pay $50 dollars for a modern day version of NBA Jam and that it should be an XBLA title with XBLA pricing.

Yeah.

You, sir, may not be familiar with Wii sales trends. Games that end up in the hundreds of thousands often start at such low numbers.
Although, it may take a price drop.  And furthermore, they didn't run tv spots for the game.
sad

Stoney Mason

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2010, 07:17:50 AM »
Yeah

You keep thinking NBA Jam at that price is gonna be some mega long term seller....

More importantly we'll see how that franchise ends up long term.

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2010, 07:31:31 AM »
Yeah

You keep thinking NBA Jam at that price is gonna be some mega long term seller....

More importantly we'll see how that franchise ends up long term.

Conversely, you're suggesting that a cheaper price would be the only factor to make it successful.
I'm not calling it one way or the other. But wii game sales patterns are known for their long tails and not being frontloaded. Not saying that is going to happen here, those other factors include brand awareness. My main point is that I doubt the average consumer is not going to see this game on the shelf and make the assumption that is 'light on content'. They'll just know its a basketball game and whatever the back of the box gives them impression of.
sad

Stoney Mason

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »
What I'm saying is that NBA Jam's selling potential is based on nostalgia and very simple arcade gameplay. And those two things don't factor favorably with a $50 dollar price tag. It's why Pac Man Championship edition is a great idea as an Xbox Live title but not such a great idea as a stand-alone $50 retail package that you've put a lot of development resources into, to drive up that price. It's why the HD versions aren't going to sell very well either.

I love NBA Jam. Probably more than anyone on this board. But you can't sell it to me for $50 dollars and expect me to buy it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:40:44 AM by Stoney Mason »

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2010, 08:02:35 AM »
Hey eemcee, how does it feel to have stuck your dick in to the wrong horse's ass?

Does your horses shit not stink or something?

What I'm saying is that NBA Jam's selling potential is based on nostalgia and very simple arcade gameplay. And those two things don't factor favorably with a $50 dollar price tag. It's why Pac Man Championship edition is a great idea as an Xbox Live title but not such a great idea as a stand-alone $50 retail package that you've put a lot of development resources into, to drive up that price. It's why the HD versions aren't going to sell very well either.

I love NBA Jam. Probably more than anyone on this board. But you can't sell it to me for $50 dollars and expect me to buy it.

I think the 50-60 dollar pricetag doesn't factor favorably in with most games these days, see this NPD!  But I don't think putting it on a DD service at a cheaper price is the ONLY guaranteed way for it to be successful, its not even guaranteed to be noticed.  I could very well see the retail versions making out alright after the holidays, but EA could have done better advertising their product.
sad

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2010, 08:13:35 AM »
Wii "software" sales legs were driven by insane hardware sales,without that Wii is just another Gamecube or even something worse.
Large install base won't matter shit if userbase becomes dormant(see PS2,PSP) and due to Nintendo stupidity Wii is becoming just that.Something that is forgotten and collects dust in some closet.

cat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2010, 08:27:20 AM »

Yeah.

You, sir, may not be familiar with Wii sales trends. Games that end up in the hundreds of thousands often start at such low numbers.
Although, it may take a price drop.  And furthermore, they didn't run tv spots for the game.

Wii software sales are down like 30% this year

But yea I'm sure a group-oriented game like NBA Jam will really see its sales potential take off after the holidays.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2010, 08:31:36 AM »
For this month
Software sales:

360: $265 million
PS3: $186 million
WII: $91 million
NDS: $49 million

PS2 + PSP: $14 million (605 - 591)

cat

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2010, 08:39:43 AM »

Yeah.

But yea I'm sure a group-oriented game like NBA Jam will really see its sales potential take off after the holidays.

The holidays haven't even started, mang!
sad

archie4208

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2010, 09:13:18 AM »
ROCK BAND  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

SOLD WORSE THAN GH  :lol :lol :lol :lol

No it didn't.  ???

Rock Band 3 (all platforms) -- 140K

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »
archie

The Worst Poster Ever
cat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2010, 09:32:35 AM »

Yeah.

I could very well see the retail versions making out alright after the holidays, but EA could have done better advertising their product.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2010, 09:37:20 AM »

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
btw,what happened to Room,is it canceled or what?
not following Japan stuff lately

home gets mentioned from time to time
cat

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »

Yeah.

I could very well see the retail versions making out alright after the holidays, but EA could have done better advertising their product.

I mean that after the holidays are over with I could see it having sold a decent amount during that time. I wasn't implying it was going to sell better after the holidays. Thats stupid.
sad

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »
lol @ MOH selling over a million. There is not even 3000 people playing online.
fat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2010, 06:29:58 PM »
From gaf

Castlevania PS3>Naruto PS3>Wii Party>Kirby Wii>Castlevania 360>Naruto 360>Rock Band 360>Rock Band PS3>Enslaved PS3>NBA Jam Wii>Pro Evolution Soccer PS3>Enslaved 360>Vanquish PS3>FIFA 11 Wii>Vanquish 360>Rock Band Wii>Pro Evolution Soccer 360

lol
cat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2010, 06:33:56 PM »
lol @ MOH selling over a million. There is not even 3000 people playing online.

that explains all those $30 black friday deals
sup

Bebpo

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
so basically every game in that chain is a bomb?

harsh month for companies.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2010, 06:36:55 PM »
vanquish combined is less than 50k

:omg
cat

Bebpo

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2010, 06:37:55 PM »

wat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
Hopefully holiday sales will redeem Rock Band and Guitar Hero a little, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bebpo

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2010, 07:26:20 PM »
I didnt really like the vanquish demo besides the graphics, was this game supposed to be some big hit?

It was so floaty in the controls and the way you moved, I didnt spend more then 5 min with it.

I've heard a lot of people say this.  It seems like everyone wants slow heavy tank-feel guy in their cover shooter  :-\

The worst aspect of cover shooters is the mundane repetition of sitting behind a log and popping up to shoot a round into a guy with tons of health, then duck down when he fires back, then pop back up and another round, etc...

Vanquish tried going the extra mile by taking that away and giving freedom to play it like a high speed run n' gun, and everyone is unhappy that you move so agile and kick so much ass.

Diunx

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »

:fbm
Drunk

Oblivion

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »
So Castlevania sold over 100k?