Author Topic: So this Wikileaks thing....  (Read 15741 times)

Himu

Re: So this Wikileaks thing....
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2010, 07:02:12 PM »
:rock
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »
:piss banks :piss2

:piss oil companies :piss2

:piss pharmaceutical company :piss2

Kill the pigs, drink their blood.
©@©™

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »
The only question is will people do something about it?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
Early next year, Julian Assange says, a major American bank will suddenly find itself turned inside out. Tens of thousands of its internal documents will be exposed on Wikileaks.org with no polite requests for executives’ response or other forewarnings. The data dump will lay bare the finance firm’s secrets on the Web for every customer, every competitor, every regulator to examine and pass judgment on.

[...]

He compares what he is ready to unleash to the damning e-mails that poured out of the Enron trial: a comprehensive vivisection of corporate bad behavior. “You could call it the ecosystem of corruption,” he says, refusing to characterize the coming release in more detail. “But it’s also all the regular decision making that turns a blind eye to and supports unethical practices: the oversight that’s not done, the priorities of executives, how they think they’re fulfilling their own self-interest.”

[...]

Does Assange have unpublished, damaging documents on pharmaceutical companies? Yes, he says. Finance? Yes, many more than the single bank scandal we’ve been discussing. Energy? Plenty, on everything from BP to an Albanian oil firm that he says attempted to sabotage its competitors’ wells. Like informational IEDs, these damaging revelations can be detonated at will.

First time every using this,but... :D

Damn, this news is making this nicca's dick all hard n' shit.
🍆🍆

Fresh Prince

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2010, 07:43:47 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333982/WikiLeaks-US-Army-soldier-Bradley-Manning-prime-suspect-leaks-case.html

But perhaps the most extraordinary element of the WikiLeaks breach is how the data was smuggled out of a U.S. army base on CDs - and finally downloaded onto a memory stick.

The prime suspect is U.S. soldier Bradley Manning, a ‘hot-headed loner’ who grew up in Britain and is currently in solitary confinement awaiting trial over the WikiLeaks disclosures.

By the 23-year-old's own account, it appears to have been staggeringly easy for him to make off with reams of highly classified data.

The downloads were carried out while Manning was working at the U.S. 10th Mountain Division in Iraq.

'I would come in with music on a CD-RW labelled with something like Lady Gaga... erase the music... then write a compressed split file,' he wrote in an online chat.

'No one suspected a thing. (I) listened and lip-synched to Lady Gaga's Telephone while "exfiltrating" possibly the largest data spillage in America history.

:lol :usacry
itm

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »
Lady Gaga, terrorist enabler :usacry
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »
Haha CD-RW. I remember those! Anti-skip protection!
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
"Is it live, or is it Memorex?"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:03:37 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Himu

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
Memorex was my brand too! Dap!
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2010, 08:16:53 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/29/wikileaks-cables-china-reunified-korea

:smug
I won't get into the conspiracy theories, but it is interesting that the major news from this has all been favorable to US foreign policy initiatives.

Julian Assange, American patriot. :american
乱学者

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/29/wikileaks-cables-china-reunified-korea

China might be amenable to reunification.  I'm not so sure the South would be though.  I have to think assimilating North Korea would send South Korea's economy into the shitter.
MMA

Fresh Prince

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »
Well the cables are from the US perspective.

History repeats itself it would be like a worse version of the reunification of Germany. I'm not familiar with public sentiment in either of the Koreas but I think many Koreans would want one Korea even if their politicians don't.

The whole economics of the situation would be a clusterfuck though.

drew

• sy
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2010, 08:30:16 PM »
oh man some of this shit is juicy:

PERHAPS THE SINGLE DOMINANT ASPECT OF THE PERSIAN
PSYCHE IS AN OVERRIDING EGOISM. ITS ANTECEDENTS LIE
IN THE LONG IRANIAN HISTORY OF INSTABILITY AND INSECURITY
WHICH PUT A PREMIUM ON SELF-PRESERVATION. THE PRACTICAL
EFFECT OF IT IS AN ALMOST TOTAL PERSIAN PREOCCUPATION
WITH SELF AND LEAVES LITTLE ROOM FOR UNDERSTANDING POINTS
OF VIEW OTHER THAN ONE'S OWN.

*vigorously rubs hands together*

btw im trying to download the entire archive right now and the torrent isnt working, i was wondering if it is just a problem on my end

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2010, 08:34:25 PM »

China might be amenable to reunification.  I'm not so sure the South would be though.  I have to think assimilating North Korea would send South Korea's economy into the shitter.

most South Koreans are absolutely in favor of reunification, though it would of course be an economic clusterfuck
乱学者

drew

• sy
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »
in other words my scope of view and interest is far wider than yours, gotcha, buddy.  sorry if i dont just want to re read all the shit every newspaper in the country is parroting about documents related to current events, SO SORRY, indeed

Fresh Prince

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2010, 08:42:35 PM »
The North would become the manufacturing and\or agricultural sector- the rest who knows?

drew

• sy
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2010, 08:43:36 PM »
ok, so let me get this straight, you heard something first that i didn't, you are so way awesome, dude

you could have just said "OLD", that would have been enough, you pimp, you, now if you'll excuse me i think i'll go back to actually reading precious classified documents instead of getting in cat fights with strangers
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:51:29 PM by drew »

Himu

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2010, 09:01:44 PM »
in other words my scope of view and interest is far wider than yours, gotcha, buddy.  sorry if i dont just want to re read all the shit every newspaper in the country is parroting about documents related to current events, SO SORRY, indeed
I already read the quote, and I know that it was said during the first months of the Iranian revolution by a diplomat named Bruce Laingen who was held during the hostage crisis.  Way ahead of you.

What was your major in college?
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:10 PM »
Apparently there are about 1000 documents from our us embassy in the file, they talk about investigating prominent business men and entertainers for god knows what reason and a lot of gossip about our government can't wait :hyper
Drunk

Fresh Prince

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2010, 09:13:03 PM »
by entertainers you mean hookers right?

Diunx

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2010, 09:28:53 PM »
No but there are definitely hookers in those documents the embassy is REALLY close to a hotzone.
Drunk

Skidmark

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2010, 12:21:54 AM »
I wasn't surprised by anything that has been leaked so far, I knew most of it already especially the middle east related cables. Its just good to see that it was all actually true.
I am actually becoming more and more of an anarchist, especially towards super powers but not so much when it comes to countries like Sweden but I hope they release something about Sweden that puts some dirt on our government.

We discussed this whistle-blowing that wikileaks is doing, many in my class were against it to my surprise, they believed that its better the way it is where it is left to the government to decide on its own when to release this kind of information like when it is outdated or can not cause harm. But I would prefer to know what is currently going on when it matters, there are a lot of examples of this like the invasion of different countries under false pretenses and so on.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2010, 12:29:35 AM »
The irony of today is that individuals are more open about themselves- not only in facebook sense but in general while institutions still hold onto cones of silence. When I really think it should be the other way around.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2010, 03:07:10 AM »
In theory, wikileaks helps keep governments a bit more honest. In practice, it's just gonna make them more secretive than ever. The most interesting thing about it is learning just how inept security is. All those spy flicks lied to me! You clearly don't need to be Jason Bourne to get your hands on the craziest shit imaginable.
vjj

Beardo

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2010, 08:05:56 AM »

It's something South Korea has been planning for, for a long time.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2010, 09:47:37 AM »
In theory, wikileaks helps keep governments a bit more honest. In practice, it's just gonna make them more secretive than ever. The most interesting thing about it is learning just how inept security is. All those spy flicks lied to me! You clearly don't need to be Jason Bourne to get your hands on the craziest shit imaginable.

None of this is the craziest shit imaginable, by any means - it's pretty mid-level stuff
___

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »

None of this is the craziest shit imaginable, by any means - it's pretty mid-level stuff

Exactly. Until Wikileaks posts a picture of Eisenhower meeting with Greys at Muroc Air Field in 1953...this ain't shit.
CBG

Beardo

« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2010, 11:11:30 AM »
What do you guys think will happen to Pfc. Bradley Manning?

Also, i want to go on the record as stating that most of the right wing response to all of this has been pretty sickening. As if this is Obama's fault or something. They need to shut up.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »

Also, i want to go on the record as stating that most of the right wing response to all of this has been pretty sickening. As if this is Obama's fault or something. They need to shut up.

Since we aren't china, he'll live off the taxpayer's dime in prison. It's a shame that govt. transparency has to bee stolen to be seen.
©ZH

Dickie Dee

« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2010, 11:48:02 AM »

Prob. life in prison  :-\

I think he's been in solitary confinement for the last 9-10 months or so.
___

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »
Isn't what Manning did straight up treason?  That's a death penaly, no?
sad

Beardo

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2010, 12:43:58 PM »
Seems like treason. I think it's pretty safe to say that capital punishment isn't too harsh for treason.

Beardo

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »
Can we talk about any positive outcomes that might come out of this?

Iran and N. Korea working together; Iran funding terrorism in Israel; These are all things that my liberals friends, 2 days ago, would have claimed were not happening.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »
You must understand, Beardo's balaclava protects him while he hunkers down in his snowglobe of truth against the outside world.
___

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »
Can we talk about any positive outcomes that might come out of this?

Iran and N. Korea working together; Iran funding terrorism in Israel; These are all things that my liberals friends, 2 days ago, would have claimed were not happening.

How has any of that NOT been common knowledge? I hope I don't shock you by telling you that Iran also smuggles bombs and weapons into Iraq to combat our troops  :o

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
I learned back in 2003 that if you don't want to bomb a country, you're apparently a die-hard supporter of its regime.  Which would explain why I've got that big Khamenei poster and all those Kim Jong-il bobbleheads.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »
I learned back in 2003 that if you don't want to bomb a country, you're apparently a die-hard supporter of its regime.  Which would explain why I've got that big Khamenei poster and all those Kim Jong-il bobbleheads.

those are supposed to be proportional, now you hurt his feelings
乱学者

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »
if you don't want to GET THEM BEFORE THEY GET US then you are THEIR FRIEND because by NOT GETTING THEM you directly allow US to DONE GET GOT.

this is neoconservative geopolitics in its entirety
duc

Fresh Prince

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »
So Beardo is on the side of terrorists?

Beardo

« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »
Well, you guys sure shat this thread up. No wonder nobody posts here anymore.  :lol

Dickie Dee

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »
Don't call me Shirley.
___

drew

• sy
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »
whotf are you again?

how do my balls look, bottomfeeder

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »
That's not nice.
©ZH

Fresh Prince

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
Well, you guys sure shat this thread up. No wonder nobody posts here anymore.  :lol
???

Apparently Bill O'Reilly said Assange should be executed :usacry

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »

Oh right - all that stuff that's on YOUR HDD is the crazy shit.  ::)
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2010, 09:40:36 PM »

Well the point Macamint was trying to make was that everything here is not classified at the top levels.

I got his (pointless) point, thanks. Admit it though - if you found any of that shit on an unguarded PC, you would lose your tiny mind.
vjj

Brehvolution

« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2010, 09:50:18 PM »
???

Apparently Bill O'Reilly said Assange should be executed :usacry

If a dem was president from 2000-08, Bill O would be calling this guy a hero.
©ZH

Fresh Prince

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2010, 10:07:48 PM »
Well it's been mostly from the past 3 years so it's been mostly Obama.

I don't get people saying it's not a big deal. Essentially somebody's hacked the US's facebook account and leaked a lot of vacuous but embarrassing shit out and some genuinely interesting shit that could hurt a few people's feelings.

Diunx

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2010, 10:13:05 PM »
Meh, call me when the documents detailing the cover up of the vampire community living in the south pole leak.
Drunk

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »
Meh, call me when the documents detailing the cover up of the vampire community living in the south pole leak.

I think that's Friday.
©@©™

Dickie Dee

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2010, 06:29:36 AM »

Well the point Macamint was trying to make was that everything here is not classified at the top levels.

I got his (pointless) point, thanks. Admit it though - if you found any of that shit on an unguarded PC, you would lose your tiny mind.

I'm not sure why you're particularly butthurt over this - it's neat to see some inner workings that aren't normally shared and perhaps some heads will roll, but this is just info from an intranet designed to share info between agencies that have always and still like to keep their cards close to their chest. ~3 million people had clearance to this info. It was guarded, but not restricted to the highest levels. Fucking deal with it.
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2010, 06:43:45 AM »

those are supposed to be proportional, now you hurt his feelings
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2010, 08:54:35 AM »
Interpol now has a warrant out for Assange for the fake rape charge.

CBG

Diunx

« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2010, 02:35:59 PM »
Are rape charges the new "died in an accident"?
Drunk

Fresh Prince

« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »
The US is going after Assange because it is butthurt.

When people start rioting because of a leak then I'd say 1984 is going to happen. So far it's porn for pundits and those who follow foreign affairs.

Edit: Actually make that a riot or an important ambassador gets called back
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:30:37 PM by Fresh Prince »

« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »
So the Repubs who are all for "small government" are now crying for more big brother style government? SHOCKING.
野球

ManaByte

CBG

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2010, 06:36:58 PM »
Yep, we know about the Pentagon Papers. That's why I was being sarcastic with my SHOCKING comment.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »

I'm not sure why you're particularly butthurt over this - it's neat to see some inner workings that aren't normally shared and perhaps some heads will roll, but this is just info from an intranet designed to share info between agencies that have always and still like to keep their cards close to their chest. ~3 million people had clearance to this info. It was guarded, but not restricted to the highest levels. Fucking deal with it.

I found your comment patronizing, compounded by Genghis explaining it again to me. There is always someone in every thread who acts like nothing is a big deal to be cooler than everyone else - that appeared to be you. Clearly this is not the biggest POSSIBLE deal (i.e. it won't start a nuclear conflagration that ends life on earth) but it is still clearly a very big deal, given the uproar. Sorry if I took that the wrong way.
vjj