Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS thread  (Read 99588 times)

cool breeze

Re: Nintendo 3DS thread
« Reply #1500 on: May 21, 2011, 12:59:55 AM »
yeah, mine has been sitting in a case since the first week.  Can't wait to use it again in a month to play a game from thirteen years ago.

Oblivion

« Reply #1501 on: May 21, 2011, 01:12:45 AM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1502 on: May 21, 2011, 01:46:04 AM »
yeah, mine has been sitting in a case since the first week.  Can't wait to use it again in a month to play a game from thirteen years ago.

:hyper
püp

Damian79

« Reply #1503 on: May 21, 2011, 05:04:36 AM »
So i guess there is no psp emus either, only people in japan care about it :/ 

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1504 on: May 21, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
Any emus of this thing yet?

no, emus only come for systems people care about

Why is there a Wii one then?
itm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1505 on: May 21, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It doesnt emulate Wii, it emulates Gamecube
[close]
fat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1506 on: May 21, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
Good point
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #1507 on: May 21, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
It doesnt emulate Wii, it emulates Gamecube
[close]

:lol

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1508 on: May 22, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »
Jesus fuck , why do i have two 3DS's again?

i had two at one point, too! sold the one intended for me to maf within a week of purchasing it, haw.
duc

Damian79

« Reply #1509 on: May 22, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »
Yeah region locking ruins us. :(

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1510 on: May 23, 2011, 02:06:23 AM »
I should have listened to my inner self and not bothered with the Japanese unit and just went full on honky only.

I bought the wife one as well. I have the unremovable stain of having bought three 3DS :/

I've sat curled up in the shower and no matter how hard i scrub, i still feel dirty and violated.

You can be healed with a Windows Phone.

Get yours now!

Damian79

« Reply #1511 on: May 23, 2011, 03:07:00 AM »
Yeah, kick him when he's down.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1512 on: May 23, 2011, 03:08:50 AM »
It's a brotherly kick.

You would never understand.

Damian79

« Reply #1513 on: May 24, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »
So Shinobi is coming to the 3ds.  Shame it is probably going to be 3d.  Even if it is 2d it is probably going to be garbage because it is being made by Griptonite Studios.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/brandenbrushett

cool breeze

« Reply #1514 on: May 24, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »
a) the 3d shinobi for ps2 is fucking awesome
b) griptonite has made many great games on the ds
c) almost all of the company's games for the DS and 3DS are 3D graphics with 2D gameplay (2.5D or w/e)

the only weak link is the 3DS. and Sega, but mostly the 3DS.

they did make the crummy ass creed psp game, though
[close]

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1515 on: May 24, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »
There's a lot of factors that go into it, i.e. budget, whether or not Sega gives enough of a shit to give them enough time/money, etc. Griptonite has made some good stuff.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #1516 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
BTW I got to play some DoA today on a friend's 3DS. God that hardware is a total turd sandwich. The game was struggling to hold 30fps in 3D mode and barely hit 15fps during the pre-match cutscenes, FFS. D-pad is also a pile of suck and DAT BUTTONS, ugh. Would buy for $99, maybe. I seriously cannot believe how much they're charging.

Damian79

« Reply #1517 on: May 24, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »
Really?  I stand corrected.  All I saw from the wiki is a bunch of movie IP's.

EDIT:  The buttons really that bad?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:35:16 PM by Damian79 »

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #1518 on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »
best case scenario: Itagaki & co. smartened up and cancelled Devil's Turd and is now working with Sega on bringing Shinobi back.
BiSH

Sho Nuff

« Reply #1519 on: May 24, 2011, 09:54:55 PM »
Oh shit that's right. They debuted that game WAY too early. No idea what they were thinking.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1520 on: May 24, 2011, 09:57:02 PM »
BTW I got to play some DoA today on a friend's 3DS. God that hardware is a total turd sandwich. The game was struggling to hold 30fps in 3D mode and barely hit 15fps during the pre-match cutscenes, FFS. D-pad is also a pile of suck and DAT BUTTONS, ugh. Would buy for $99, maybe. I seriously cannot believe how much they're charging.

Why did you play DOA with 3D on?  It's 60FPS with that slider down

The game is pretty good.  I was also able to unlock all the normal characters in about 12 minutes, by clearing all six arcade courses.  Online is okay (worldwide =  :lol, region = not bad, game play doesn't suffer even with a little lag), but there's no rematch option which totally sucks.

But the game is, for obvious reasons, a hell of a lot more comfortable to play than SSF4 is.  It's fun, but SSF4 3D Edition is still the better game.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:59:16 PM by lyte edge »
ど助平

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #1521 on: May 24, 2011, 10:25:50 PM »
D-pad is also a pile of suck and DAT BUTTONS, ugh.

- Whoever says the d-pad is a major improvement over the ones in previous DS iterations OR actively believes that "Capcom was consulted and it shows" is on crack. The differences are so fucking minute, and the thought that they were a product of conscious decisions and research is depressing.
- Clicky buttons are still horrible and don't lend themselves to a genre as demanding as fighters.

Now, sure, SSFIV ended up being awesome, but that's a testament to the product's quality rather than the hardware's! in fact, it would have been twice as good on a platform unmarred by those two issues.

Conclusion: I have no fucking idea why there are three fighting games on the market, and why some people think the 3DS is a perfect platform for them to thrive on. Only a filthy ninthing who never touched a fighting game since the SNES would think that, but on the bright side it's nice for them to finally catch up, and see what they were missing all this time.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:12:26 AM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

Sho Nuff

« Reply #1522 on: May 24, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »
Agreed. I guess it's not such a huge surprise to be playing something like that on a handheld if you'd played the outstanding Tekken ports on PSP. The fact that DOA doesn't look all that much better (and runs at a lower resolution lol) on a more expensive, more recent handheld is pretty sad.

cool breeze

« Reply #1523 on: May 24, 2011, 11:04:03 PM »
While I haven't played fighting games on the 3DS, the d-pad and face buttons instantly felt better than the DSi (except the lowered position of the d-pad).

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #1524 on: May 24, 2011, 11:05:51 PM »
I jumped from the DS lite to the 3DS and both felt worse due to either the feel or position.
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #1525 on: May 24, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
Well I'm specifically talking about fighters. The d-pad simply doesn't feel right. It's nowhere near as good or comfortable as other platforms (save for the 360), so it still feels like I'm compromising. It needed an overhaul, not the trivial changes it has undergone.

the PSP-1000 dpad (easily fixed by... sticking another dpad on top of it?  Don't know why that worked but it did).

Heh, same here, although I still struggle with diagonals.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:20:44 PM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1526 on: May 24, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »
psp-3000 dpad = :bow
duc

cool breeze

« Reply #1527 on: May 25, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »
was it a 1000 to 2000 upgrade?

2000 to 3000 just added a nice dip under the d-pad an buttons, but they are essentially the same.  the 1000 d-pad was just too shallow.  Adding a second d-pad or taking it apart and giving it a book helped a lot.  My 1000 analog nub is better than my 2000, 3000 or Go...not that it's an accomplishment or anything.   Nintendo managed to convince me analog sliders aren't bad with the 3DS, which is amazing because Sony failed in their four hardware iterations (five you include the monster hunter one). 

btw, PSP Go is awesome hardware, probably the best portable gaming hardware.  that's neither here nor there but it gets a bad rep mostly for Sony's dreadful management of the device.

edit: just saw the post down on Wayforward :bow2 truly the greatest case of visuals over gameplay.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:45:07 AM by Linkzg »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1528 on: May 25, 2011, 03:20:17 PM »
Agreed. I guess it's not such a huge surprise to be playing something like that on a handheld if you'd played the outstanding Tekken ports on PSP. The fact that DOA doesn't look all that much better (and runs at a lower resolution lol) on a more expensive, more recent handheld is pretty sad.

I would have liked to have seen how a DOA (fighting) game would have been on the PSP.  Dimensions looks a hell of a lot better than DOA Paradise does.

I think there are some character details that do look better than what Namco has done, but there's no denying how awesome Tekken 5DR/Tekken 6/Soul Calibur BD are on PSP.  It's just too bad that none of them have online play, Soul Calibur lacks a true online mode, and Tekken 6 has a shitty 2P mode with slowdown and limited stages available.

Be like if DOA2 Hardcore had looked worse than the DC one.

If you go back to old newsgroups/board posts, you'll find fanboys saying exactly that!

While I haven't played fighting games on the 3DS, the d-pad and face buttons instantly felt better than the DSi (except the lowered position of the d-pad).

My hand cramps up badly when I play SSF4 3D Edition.  The d-pad is an awkward position and should be higher up, where the analog pad is.

Well I'm specifically talking about fighters. The d-pad simply doesn't feel right. It's nowhere near as good or comfortable as other platforms (save for the 360), so it still feels like I'm compromising. It needed an overhaul, not the trivial changes it has undergone.

It's really just an issue with Street Fighter.  Doing complex inputs and needing those triggers is just uncomfortable after a short time.  There's no problem with DOA though. 

I've read that the Nyko battery extender pack makes things a lot more comfortable; may go pick one up today.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1529 on: May 25, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
Bought the battery extender.

Included screwdriver stripped the hell out of one of the 3DS battery cover screws.

Back to the store it goes!  The rubber smell was pretty strong anyway.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:00:35 PM by lyte edge »
ど助平

Damian79

« Reply #1530 on: May 26, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Shinobi 3ds trailer.  Gameplay looks hot, graphics looks shit.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1531 on: May 30, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Customers who have shown interest in "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D" or other adventure games might like to know what critics are saying about the story that became a legend, now in 3D.

- "A game worth buying a 3DS for." - Destructoid
- "The game looks gorgeous in 3D." - G4
- "The visuals have been suitably enhanced for the new hardware, and it really looks terrific in 3D (seriously, the screenshots don't do it justice)." - GameXplain
- "Ocarina of Time 3D looks like it's set to stand as the shining example of how to remake a Zelda game." - IGN

lol, IGN.
ど助平

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #1532 on: May 30, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »
is it that time again?
<----

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1533 on: May 30, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
lol at that quote. THE SHINING EXAMPLE... of what?
fat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1534 on: May 30, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
lol at that quote. THE SHINING EXAMPLE... of what?
Of how to make big money on inane retreads/with minimal effort, which has been the big N's bread and butter this entire generation. :teehee
Hi