Author Topic: [360/PS3] Shadows of the Damned  (Read 3838 times)

Herr Mafflard

Re: [360/PS3] Shadows of the Damned
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »
So what y'all saying is that it's not as good as Alan Wake. Thanks.  will wait for a price drop.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Got my copy today. Rollin cash yo. Dont give a fuck
fat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2011, 08:27:57 PM »
Nah, it's better than Alan Wake for sure. That game was pretty average; SotD is a good game, but it has some crap in it (75% of act 4 is terrible). The combat is really fun, it's the other areas that are lacking.

Anyway I'm about to get my 1000/1000, the final cutscenes are rolling so I figured I'd make this post while I wait.
BiSH

Ridley327

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
This game was pretty awesome, but GHM was super evil to make it so that difficulty achievements didn't stack. Easy is insultingly easy; slaving through it for the red gems wasn't much fun at all.

More shooters (third, first or otherwise) really need to crib the 180 quickturn; it's, like, god's gift to stick aiming.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2011, 12:44:17 AM »
Garcia reaing the book is like one of the best moments ever in a videogame. Absolute genius

SPOILERZ

spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Its like an Alanis Morrisette song!"

The Evil Dead stuff kicked ass also.
[close]

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2011, 01:41:24 AM »
"Taste my big boner!!"

Yeah, it's childish, but I don't care.  :lol
野球

Ridley327

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
Garcia reaing the book is like one of the best moments ever in a videogame. Absolute genius

SPOILERZ

"Its like an Alanis Morrisette song!"

The Evil Dead stuff kicked ass also.
[close]

The entire line reading for that book is probably the best thing Steve Blum has ever done as a VA and it's likely that it's the best thing that he'll ever do.

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
$39.99 at Fry's already.
野球

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »
Sent to die, confirmed

Himu

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
with a name like Shadows of the Damned, yeah. It's not marketable because it has a "bad bad" word in the name.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2011, 01:00:03 AM »
Just finished this.  I can't believe there's no new game+.  No new game+, no unlockables, no multiplayer and a 5-6 hour game?  Uhhh, what were they thinking.  This is like Madworld all over again.

As to the game itself.  I think I liked it.  I definitely liked parts of it and I definitely didn't like a couple of parts.  The gameplay seemed like the same 6-7/10ish gameplay that is in every Suda51 game, but when you play a Suda51 game you don't care and put up with the unpolished, kind of crappy, gameplay for the overall experience full of character, crazy creativity, and fun fun fun fun.  This game definitely had some of that, though at the same time I think this was Suda's least creative and interesting game, which still makes it more creative and interesting than most shooters.

What worked:
+Art direction was surprisingly freaking great.  The game looked macabre in a way that no other dev has really captured recently.  It looked like art design quality I'd expect out of a Silent Hill game by Team Silent.  A lot of the grotesque statutes and stuff were really neat.  Sure it shows it's UE3.0 a bit, but they managed to really make the game look HORROR, which rocks.
+Music was great, as expected.  Yamaoka never lets down.
+A lot of homage stuff was good.  The Evil Dead level in the lake was  :lol so awesome
+Some neat gameplay ideas/stages like the tetris block stage, overall the level design was good
+They did a good job with the light/darkness gameplay concept.  Some good level design around that like the blindness hand w/umbilical cord area near the end
+World map was cool
+The picture books were a nice touch and the BIG bosses were cool even if easy
+Cutscenes were enjoyably shlock
+Voice acting was pretty good.

What didn't work:
-The entire shmup thing was freaking terrible.  And doing it THREE TIMES.  Ughhhh, should have been 1 area at most.  NMH rank 6 shmup stage was more creative the first time and also played better than this
-Big Boner thing was freaking terrible.  Basically Grasshopper always sucks at mini-games, so they should stop having ones that play worse than the main game which already only plays passable.
-UNSKIPPABLE FUCKING CUTSCENES.  This is 2011...wtf!  And you'd always die right after a cutscene on some 1 hit kill thing so die -> loading -> cutscenes again -> 1 hit kill; luckily you don't die much because it's easy
-Game is a joke in challenge.  It starts getting ok challenge about midway through, but never ramps up any further and the bosses are all a joke
-The camera sucks, it's too close and in a few boss fights it's broken.  The Flemming 3 body part spinning section was totally fucking broken trying to keep up with the moving parts thanks to the shitty camera.  Same thing on the flying boss after that. 
-The actual combat is extremely average.  A couple of guns, and a couple of enemy types...repeat
-The dialogue was the worst yet from Suda51.  I mean I'm used to C-grade cheese from him after stuff like NMH, but it really does seem like no man older than 13 could have written this.
-On the PS3 the game ran pretty shitty with stutters when saving and loooong load times between every level; game crashed twice on me.  Good ole' Grasshopper polish

I think, it's very much a 7/10 game, but it's not a bad game and worth a play if you like Suda's work or the horror genre.  It's definitely better than the crap that was No More Heroes 2, and maybe about on par or better than stuff like Samurai Champloo, but Killer 7 and NMH1 still stand above SoTD.  Out of Suda's 3 big budget games, this is the little trooper of the set, a sort of fun action adventure by a studio that doesn't know the meaning of polish.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »
The part with Flemming and the final boss are really easy, just use the machine gun homing bullets and you won't even have to aim.
BiSH

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
5-6 hours? Sounds like a buy @ $20 game if there ever was one.
Hi

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
The title screen is so :rock

Game is already awesome.
fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
The title screen is so :rock

Game is already awesome.

LEMON HUNTER
DEMON HUNTER

:bow

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »
Legion Hunter  8)
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2011, 01:11:44 PM »
It really is too bad this game has unskippable cutscenes because with the simple addition of skippable cutscenes & new game+, I'd totally do a 2nd run and if it's anything like Vanquish the 2nd run would be even MORE fun because you know how to approach everything, can skip all the bad cutscenes, and just enjoy the best the game has to offer.  Re-listening to the ost, which is SO GOOD, I'd definitely replay it and bump it to an 8 if they just fixed those two problems.  The unskippable cutscene one is the worst, can you not skip cutscenes on UE3.0 because it loads during them?

The part with Flemming and the final boss are really easy, just use the machine gun homing bullets and you won't even have to aim.

Well you still need to look at them to lock and the camera in those parts is pretty schizo (although watching some youtubes I could've used a better strategy; I was standing in the middle of the 3 parts spinning and trying to follow the 1; though I don't think there's a good strat for the final part at all since the youtubes I saw everyone was spinning around trying to track the boss and failing often)

Sho Nuff

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2011, 11:49:13 PM »
The unskippable cutscene one is the worst, can you not skip cutscenes on UE3.0 because it loads during them?

If you're smart you can interleave level loads as cutscenes are playing. That being said you should be able to skip a cinematic sequence and go to a black loading screen while you pull in the rest of the data (which goes much more quickly). See Gears for this done right.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2011, 12:12:35 AM »
Is this game meant to be ridiculously easy? I'm already on Act 3-4, and the achievements look like there's only 5-4 at most.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2011, 12:24:18 AM »
Yeah.  From 3-1 until the ending the difficulty remains the same.  Plus you have dozens of drinks in case you ever need them.  Only time you ever die is from 1 hit crap or stupid mini-games.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2011, 01:09:34 AM »
Yeah, the game is piss easy on any difficulty. Never died on anything besides the chase scenes and turret level.
BiSH

Bebpo

« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2011, 01:14:15 AM »
I died twice from the electric dudes grabbing me because for some reason the QTE to escape didn't seem to ever work and it'd just 1 hit kill me even though I had full life.  Then I learned how to not get grabbed and that was that.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2011, 01:20:12 AM »
The writing in this game is fucking awesome. Brian Gray is my hero

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2011, 11:13:03 PM »
I'm pretty disappointed this game is casual easy on Hard :\

Still a great game though. Hated the Justine levels, and the Big Boner section.
fat

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2011, 03:25:55 AM »
Finished the game tonight. Too bad that the
trick ending is ruined if you look at the trophy/achievement list.
[close]
野球

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2011, 09:06:59 AM »
I'm going to be going from RE4 Wii which I've run through in the past couple days to this which I'm going to play in the next couple days. Lol. RE4 Wii is god  tier gaming, I was so very late to the party though  :-\
◕‿◕

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2011, 10:14:41 AM »
So what y'all saying is that it's not as good as Alan Wake. Thanks.  will wait for a price drop.

Alan Wake definitely poos on this game.
fat

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

Alan Wake definitely poos on this game.

Well, got my rental copy of SotD. Might give it a whirl tonight.

Will play on hard and hopefully laugh at how easy lame it is.

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »
Just beat the goat-man riding a horse.

I'm liking the dialogue and music a lot. Garcia Hotspur is a great character.

The boss fights so far are kinda lame mechanics-wise.

I died once near the beginning at that hand farts out darkness. For some reason the QTE didnt show up the first time I went near it.

Enjoying it, though.

"VIP -- Very Important Pendejo?"

Sho Nuff

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2011, 02:07:05 AM »
The stories that they read aloud are fucking hilarious. :bow The Legend of Stinky Crow :bow2

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2011, 02:43:08 AM »
it's hafta be pretty bad to be "as good as" alan wank
duc

Himu

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2011, 02:48:32 AM »
Started a new game cuz I want to get two more achievements before I send it back to gamefly and the fact you can't select chapters or skip cutscenes is maddening.
IYKYK

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2011, 04:27:24 AM »
The best bit of the game so far was the difficulty select screen. I must of sat there and listened to the music for about five minutes.

I do like popping headshots with my boner, however.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »
I have to beat it 2 more times too. I set up separate save files (Normal, Easy), and switching back and forth every time I complete an Act (Beat Act 2 on Normal -> Play Easy and catch up)
fat

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2011, 07:13:18 AM »
These sidescrolling shooter sections are terrible.

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »
Finished it. Game is definitely in the lower-tier of third-person shooters this gen. Bit of a letdown, but I can't say I'm too surprised.

Didn't like that one of the end bosses had an insta-fail manoeuvre -- that felt cheap, although I only fell for it once.   

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »
Didn't like that one of the end bosses had an insta-fail manoeuvre -- that felt cheap, although I only fell for it once.   

Which one was that? You mean when you can potentially shoot Paula? Hardly the worst part of that fight. Clipping (the Hot Boner mine shot clipped through Fleming so many times), uncontrollable movement (my gun would randomly move up and down while aiming without even touching the sticks sometimes, and I did try multiple controllers) game was so baby easy though it was never a problem.

On the whole I enjoyed the game, incredibly average though with zero replayability unless you're an achievement whore, I think I finished with about 9 hours on the clock. I even ended up finding Garcia a little funny. Still it was a kind of slapstick ham fisted humour I don't like, and Lollipop Chainsaw Massacre looks like it's going for a similarly egregious gaudy style. Count me way the fuck out, Sudas stuff seems like style over substance, and this new style is lame.
◕‿◕