Author Topic: Sports gaming ghetto thread  (Read 69698 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Sports gaming ghetto thread
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »
Might as well put all traditional sports games into a ghetto single thread instead of having them die immediately in individual ones. Anyway here are two games I'm interested in. UFC Undisputed 3 and NBA 2k12

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

edit: Also a Forza 4 video.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:40:38 AM by Stoney Mason »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Re: Sports gaming ghetto thread (really this thread is only for me)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
2k12 has a Run TMC Golden State team in it so I am super hyped. Really not interested in the UFC games now, they seem to be suffering from Smackdown v Raw syndrome.
itm

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »
I came sooooo close to buying NBA 2k11.  I still think it looks great and I like the demo...but I think NBA Jam is more up my alley, whenever that comes out again.

Serious, realistic racing sims like Gran Turismo are the only "sports" games I flat out dislike as a whole.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »
Really not interested in the UFC games now, they seem to be suffering from Smackdown v Raw syndrome.
I'm interested in this one because they've said they want to make it an actual fighting game and make it more accessible. My problem with the prior ones was that they were a bit too much about remembering button moves and combinations. I thought EA's MMA game had the better approach by being more accessible so hopefully this approach makes the game a bit more fun and a bit more about tactics and timing rather than who can remember how to do complicated button presses.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:51:03 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »
I came sooooo close to buying NBA 2k11.  I still think it looks great and I like the demo...but I think NBA Jam is more up my alley, whenever that comes out again.

Serious, realistic racing sims like Gran Turismo are the only "sports" games I flat out dislike as a whole.

NBA 2k11 is one of my favorite basketball games of all time but yeah I would more recommend Jam is you're a more casual guy looking for just some fun. Jam is coming out this fall on PSN and Live.

http://www.ea.com/nba-jam-on-fire/blog/nba-jam-coming-fall

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:16:25 AM »
I like baseball video games. Power Pro and MLB The Show, in particular.
野球

pilonv1

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:48:35 AM »
Wait is this the game where I can talk about FOOTBALL MANAGER?

:hyper
itm

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 01:00:44 AM »
But do you actually play soccer yet?  ???

pilonv1

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 01:16:07 AM »
What do you mean "yet?"
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:19:45 AM »
There was that IGN review a couple years ago where they scored it a 2/10 because you don't "actually play soccer" like in FIFA.

pilonv1

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:40 AM »
IGN are distinguished mentally-challenged fellows
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
2k12 has a Run TMC Golden State team in it so I am super hyped. Really not interested in the UFC games now, they seem to be suffering from Smackdown v Raw syndrome.

Speaking of wwe

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 10:31:25 PM »
Any of you bros ever play the i0S version of FM? Was thinking of picking that up this year.

Otherwise it's just FIFA 12 i'm planning on. Although i'm kinda in a Madden mood.
USA

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »
Ugh, why do I want to play WWE 12 :(

I'll only buy it if Shawn Michaels is on disc. Otherwise, I'll just rent it. They have a pretty good roster this year.
BiSH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 10:59:52 PM »

I'll only buy it if Shawn Michaels is on disc. Otherwise, I'll just rent it. They have a pretty good roster this year.

I just posted the video to post it. I'm not a fan of yukes.

pilonv1

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
Any of you bros ever play the i0S version of FM? Was thinking of picking that up this year.

Otherwise it's just FIFA 12 i'm planning on. Although i'm kinda in a Madden mood.

FM iOS is pretty good from what I've heard. The problem for me is that I love the attention to detail and size of the game world that you can't replicate on a handheld.
itm

E-DuB

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
Huge hockey fan, but I've passed on EA's NHL title for the last 2 years because I found that there wasn't any significant improvement from one edition to the next. I might pick up '12 if enough of my friends do just to mess around online.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 06:57:25 PM »
got the kings too

I might try

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 07:01:14 PM »
I was kind of irritated with how MLB The Show 11 got dinged by reviewers because it didnt have enough new things- and its like wtf its the best and most feature rich baseball sim out for consoles- you can only do so much. Why cant it get the score it deserves- force devs of those other games to work towards something.
o_0

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »
I wasn't a fan of the EA MMA game; I am probably just too used to playing UFC Undisputed. I wanted to understand the new control scheme they came up with for Total Strike Control, and unified "advance ground position," "block advance," and "stand up."

In the end, I felt like I had no control with TSC, and the energy management was pretty damned strict, unless I was really on my game, blocking strikes or sub attempts.

Blocking submission attempts was a welcome feature though, especially since, if it locked in, it felt like a guessing game on any shime-waza. The joint-locks were a better representation, both graphically and "mini-game" design-wise.

Shouldn't you rename this to the "Sports Entertainment gaming ghetto"?  :P

benjipwns

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »
2K12 preview: http://kotaku.com/5834188/
The first is loose ball rebounds. Rebounding was long a thing that, once a player was in his rebounding animation, that ball was secure. Upgrades to the collision system means the ball is in play unless the guy really rips it down or is a totally superior rebounder. I saw it in a huge way when Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, the 6-1 guard on the 1994 Denver Nuggets, followed his miss and even beat Hakeem Olajuwon to the ball. In the past, the encounter would stop there. Here, because of The Dream's size and rebounding ability, he knocked it free and gathered it up. Second chances like these can favor the novice and keep runs from getting out of hand.

The second is a new post-up control, which does away with last year's unwieldy, dual-trigger command to get a big man to back down his defender. Now it's on triangle/Y, and one touch gets his back to the basket, or gets him to face up. In addition to making half-court basketball less complicated, it also frees up the triggers, as modifiers, for those who are comfortable exploring a new range of post moves, counter-moves, and counters to those counters. It also means players like Al Jefferson, who post up their man, then quickly face up and drive, are represented more accurately and are more useful to your offense.

Overall refinements to defense, like the elimination of psychic steals and what I felt was looser play in the passing lanes, made the game breathe easier on offense. On defense, sharper intelligence on rotations have been implemented so that the CPU gets you help where you need it, and cuts down on multiplayer exploits like what was seen with the pick-and-roll last year.

Another innovation: You may run set plays off an inbounds from a timeout. In the timeout, which many button-through and accept whatever CPU substitutions are made, you can bring up a menu designating your inbounds passer, your shooter, and the type of shot you want. Coming out of the break, your stick control will be on the shooter. It's a very clean way of handling what we all see in crunch time, the coach with a white board, drawing up something to get a vital bucket.

One final note about plays: In the game's Association mode, if you traded or acquired a player, the playcalling scheme would remain static. Dirk Nowitzki would be assigned to plays more fitting for a traditional big man if he was traded for Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge, for example. In NBA 2K12, the game's offensive scheme will recognize player traits and the default package of plays for his new team will be more consistent with that playing style. As a gamer customizes his playcalling, he can also assign play types that will, for example, have a pick-and-roll atop the plays designed for Jason Kidd, and then involve isolations and three-point shots as subordinate options.
Plus a bundle of screens.

pilonv1

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »
It also means players like Al Jefferson, who post up their man, then quickly face up and drive, are represented more accurately and are more useful to your offense.

Awesome, it used to drive me insane about how hard it was to get that face up and drive animation.

Another innovation: You may run set plays off an inbounds from a timeout.

You could do that in 2k11, but just one of your standard inbounds plays. The only difference it sounds like is that you can choose the shooter, which is a big bonus because it means you don't have to move a SF out of position so he can take a shot.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 01:49:31 AM »

What's your beef with Yuke's? The usual "they keep shitting out the same SVR every year" thing, or is UFC included in that?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 04:23:19 AM »

What's your beef with Yuke's? The usual "they keep shitting out the same SVR every year" thing, or is UFC included in that?

It probably has to do with me being an AKI fanboy. I never could stomach that they got to do all those awful wrestling games and AKI who made the best wrestling games got blown to the wind. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »

It probably has to do with me being an AKI fanboy. I never could stomach that they got to do all those awful wrestling games and AKI who made the best wrestling games got blown to the wind. 

Did you ever try the GameCube WWE titles? There were guys from AKI working on those.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
Less than a week for Madden! :hyper
©ZH

pilonv1

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »
You can get it tomorrow if you get Season Ticket :teehee
itm

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
:piss season ticket :piss2
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
I almost bought NBA2K11 as well, but settled on Top Spin 4 instead (don't regret it). I might end up getting NBA2K12 once it hits $30, though. If I bought a PS3, MLB The Show would be the first game I'd buy. Oh wait, I already bought it for a friend just so I could play it at his apartment. Too bad he's moving in with his girlfriend in a month. :(
AMC

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »
Can't wait for FIFA 12, gunna kick some scouser ass
USA

pilonv1

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »
Steph & Monta :heart

I do like that NBA Jam is going to have some Yuro League players in it.
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 06:14:24 AM »
FM fans, apparently it's borked right now (only gives 25% off) though should be fixed at some point, but:
The definitive football management simulator, SEGA's & SI's Football Manager 2012 in now available for Pre-Order on GMG - and with the voucher code GOALS-GOALS-GOALS we're offering up to a 40% discount!
Comes out to $24 U.S. I assume it registers on Steam like the last few games.

As an aside, 2K12 My Player info should be up today at some point.

benjipwns

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »
2K12 My Player Insight: http://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/nba-2k12-developer-insight-5-my-player/10150285386202267

You'll be able to use NBA players as well this year.

Brehvolution

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
Why would you though? The best part is making your guy and building him up.
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 04:05:19 AM »
[youtube=560,345]3llGLbYWhuI[/youtube]

pilonv1

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 06:56:19 AM »
Why would you though? The best part is making your guy and building him up.

Pretty sure he means using them in the Become a Legend Mode, where you could only use MJ last year. So you can take any player in the game and make them a rookie on a team and redo their career.

The Era of Will Perdue is coming
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
This is downright distinguished mentally-challenged.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/09/17/historic-teams-will-not-be-playable-online-in-nba-2k12

NBA 2k had a good run.
itm

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »
AMC

pilonv1

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 05:32:30 AM »
Yes it's dumb.

Anyway demo is up :hyper
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 06:05:43 AM »
They will probably patch it at some point. I'm sure the initial issue is having to setup lobbies for specific groupings of teams. Their initial setup is probably limited so as not to allow great teams versus normal teams so you have to setup specific lobbies or situations where only historic teams can play historic teams otherwise some ass you play will always be picking legend teams when you're trying to play with your normal team.

pilonv1

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 07:21:15 AM »
I don't know if they'll patch it in. I'm expecting it to be an 800point/$10 "DLC" for specific lobbies or unlocking them for online play.
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »
I get why they did it last year, half the teams were generic, no idea why they couldn't segregate this year. How is that not obviously what tons of people want?

My Player seems like another few steps forward, one back etc. deal. No D-League. I better not be playing 30+ minutes a night no matter what again if that's the case.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:26:06 PM by Stoney Mason »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 12:04:24 AM »
downloaded the demo and it RROD'd my 360

fuck the NBA :(
AMC

Bebpo

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 12:09:04 AM »
 :(

pilonv1

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 01:00:25 AM »

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone, one of my favourite fighters. Dude is a machine
itm

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 07:18:04 PM »
FIFA out on early release :bow
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2011, 08:47:09 PM »
Already had my first wacky goal for FIFA this year:

http://www.ea.com/soccer/videos/ugc/94628506
USA

benjipwns

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 06:34:58 AM »
Guy got 2K12 early, some off TV footage, 90s Bulls v. 90s Hornets:

He has some more videos too.

pilonv1

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 06:42:33 AM »
Legends online is DLC only, may not even be 5 on 5 :(
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 06:52:55 AM »
Just saw that, what a massive dick move.  :lol

pilonv1

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2011, 06:57:32 AM »
If there's no 5 on 5 then they're distinguished mentally-challenged
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 10:31:34 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
Supremacy MMA launched a couple weeks ago from the look of it, but metacritic doesn't yet have enough "pro" reviews to make an average. Lessee, let's do the math: 50, 48, 45.  Um. Let's just say I'm no longer hopeful about the title. Was anyone else looking forward to it?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »
[youtube=560,345]][/youtube]

pilonv1

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2011, 06:56:29 PM »
Screenshot from the Wii version of 2k12

Just kidding, it's iOS. Looks too good for the Wii.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
Bought. Comes out Wednesday on the 360. Tomorrow on PSN.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1197452p1.html