Author Topic: Sports gaming ghetto thread  (Read 69796 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

Stoney Mason

Re: Sports gaming ghetto thread (really this thread is only for me)
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
As expected very solid on Forza. Nice graphics. Nice feeling of the races and handling. Very scalable on the difficulty as I'm not really a car nut but still fun.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:01:21 PM by Stoney Mason »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
My Player for 2k12 already hacked with 99 OVR players ::)
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »
Forza demo is pretty good. Kinda makes me want to buy it but I know if I wait until December or January it'll be cheaper. Probably end up as one of those holiday bundles with Halo HD.

Same.

I also have 2k12 coming in on gamefly wednesday.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2011, 11:30:31 PM »
FIFA 12 is prob one of the best sports games i've ver played :bow
USA

cool breeze

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2011, 03:07:25 AM »
Forza 4 demo is really good

If I didn't make the mistake of buying Forza 2, GT5P, and Forza 3 without really playing any for an extend period of time, or if I didn't have Dirt 3 and Hot Pursuit to play, I'd totally buy it.

the default "hard" handling is a really nice balance between sim and arcade

It looks nice too but racing game visuals are such a wash these days because everything looks great.  One thing it does well is a good and usable cockpit mode.  NFS Shift, Dirt 3 and other racing games try to simulate the racing experience with violent shaking and blur; it makes driving difficult for me.  Forza 3 and 4 have a nice boring and usable cockpit camera.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:11:53 AM by Linkzg »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2011, 03:16:25 AM »
NFS Shift, Dirt 3 and other racing games try to simulate the racing experience with violent shaking and blur; it makes driving difficult for me.  Forza 3 and 4 have a nice boring and usable cockpit camera.

Absolutely.

And yeah I really liked that demo myself.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2011, 10:38:54 PM »

Came in on gamefly. Didn't get a chance to play much today but I'll hopefully post some impressions tomorrow evening.

pilonv1

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2011, 06:10:47 AM »
No trial for NBA Jam On Fire :derp
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2011, 08:24:19 AM »
doesn't matter it's fucking :o :o :o :o

So much content for 1200 points :bow2
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
Game is badass. NBA Jam I mean. Just got through playing a few games. Can't wait to try it against my brother. We've always had some awesome jam battles.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »
I'm playing on the "real AI" difficulty level. Apparently that means this.

What is R.E.A.L. AI? Look no further!
Posted by EA SPORTS at 02:00PM on Wednesday, August, 24, 2011

I’m Fraser, AI Lead for NBA JAM: On Fire Edition.  As Trey mentioned in last week’s JAM update, http://www.ea.com/nba-jam-on-fire/blog/whats-cooking, I wanted to follow up on the R.E.A.L AI feature that we brought in for this year’s game.  You guys deserve a clear explanation of the tech, and why we felt it was a good fit for JAM.

The Name: You can’t create good tech and not give it a name; given that the name sounds like a contradiction, let’s start there.  Over time, the tech has come to be named Real AI.  Initially though, it was R.E.A.L. AI, the acronym being Record, Evaluate, Adapt, Learn.  That pretty much sums up what the system does.

The Tech: Players of different skill levels play the game.  The system records them playing, cuts their play session into up into what we call ‘sequences’, and then records what the defense was doing during each of these sequences.  We then take those sequences, run them through various processes, and the AI can then use them when they see the defense doing something similar to the recording.

This system was initially in Fight Night, but we’ve added a number of features to make it what it is today.  One of my personal favorite additions is the ability of the system to record YOUR sequences, and then play them back against you on the highest difficulty.  What’s even cooler is that when you go online, it takes the best of your sequences, and the best of your teammate/opponents, and merges them.  That means the more you play online, the tougher the highest difficulty will be for you.

Archetypes: The system categorizes each sequence to fit specific player archetypes.  In other words, a sequence that has a cross-over step back shot at the elbow won’t be playing for Dwight Howard, whereas a spin to dunk won’t be playing for Steve Nash.  This only really becomes apparent over time, but really shines when you play the online co-op Road Trip mode (more to come).  This also means that the guys with a balanced game are the toughest competitors as they are much harder to read as to their next move.

Difficulty: Game difficulty was something that I looked closely at over the course of the year, ensuring that it was balanced, ramped up smoothly, and most importantly was fun at all levels.  Real AI played a big part in achieving the right balance for us.  Essentially, during development we took stock of every sequence played, and what the outcome was.  For example, say a sequence with a 3pt shot played 300 times over the course of the year.  It was blocked 250 times, missed 40, and only went in 10 times.  The system would then peg that as an easy sequence, and it would only then show up in the easiest difficulty.  Similarly, if it went in 250 times, missed 40 and was only blocked 10 times, then it might show up in the hardest difficulty.

Smooth Game-play:  This can’t be understated.  I’ve worked in AI and game-play for many years, and it is very difficult to write code that makes AI look human.  This system takes a different approach, assessing the situation, and then playing back actual human input.  The result is such that without the indicators, there are times when you’re hard pressed to tell whether you’re playing against someone online, or against the AI.

Until next time, thanks again for stopping by and we hope to see you again real soon.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
It sounds like the grail of sports game AI; or any game's AI for that matter. I'm really interested to hear if it actually works.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
It sounds like the grail of sports game AI; or any game's AI for that matter. I'm really interested to hear if it actually works.

Yeah it does sound neat. The first game I played on it I destroyed the computer so I'm curious to see as I play more does it actually get more difficult based on tactics and techniques it learns rather than just bumping up the stats of the CPU and lowering your stats which is what all sports game traditionally do.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
FIFA 12 is prob one of the best sports games i've ver played

played one quick match and zomg... it's beautiful

Championship football really feels like championship football! Lol... / tears.

are u on pstriple or 360 if 360 we should play, i play as qpr so im not a barcelona idiot
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »

Yeah it does sound neat. The first game I played on it I destroyed the computer so I'm curious to see as I play more does it actually get more difficult based on tactics and techniques it learns rather than just bumping up the stats of the CPU and lowering your stats which is what all sports game traditionally do.

Are you playing on the highest initial difficulty?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »

Are you playing on the highest initial difficulty?

The first game I played was just on easy difficulty. I didn't realize that it was it defaulted to. Then when I switching the difficulty I noticed an option for Real AI and that is what I switched it to. There is like Easy, Medium, Hard and Real AI.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »
Is there something wrong with the PC version of NBA2k12? It was $30 in-store so I assumed it's like a port of the Wii version or something.

Nah. It's a good version of the game. Their PC version has always been a lot cheaper for whatever reason. The only thing is that they haven't patched it historically in the past to the same level as they update the console versions. But there is nothing wrong with it generally. It's not a low budget gimped version of the game or anything.

pilonv1

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2011, 12:01:46 AM »
Well there's some stuff missing like custom soundtracks. But nothing feature wise.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2011, 12:19:27 AM »
Wouldn't custom soundtracks be a hardware based feature, where consoles are concerned?

Or is this actually something that lets you choose some kind of local playlist for specific actions in the game?

pilonv1

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2011, 12:32:20 AM »
Specific music for actions in game - eg tipoff music, time out music, sound to play after FT etc..
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2011, 01:19:34 AM »
Neato. Yeah, I'm guessing that the limitations on file formats, etc., inherent with consoles, make that harder to do on a PC (even though pointing it at a specific file or playlist would be easier).

Stoney Mason

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2011, 08:56:46 AM »
Is NBA2K12 that much better than 11? Cause I'm still playing 11 and having a blast with the my player feature.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »
Is NBA2K12 that much better than 11? Cause I'm still playing 11 and having a blast with the my player feature.

I still haven't had a chance to really dig into it unfortunately. It may be the weekend before I can.

My biggest two issues with 2k11 was that passing was a bit too difficult and the timing window for jump shots was a little off to me. In the little bit I've played, both of those two issues seem to be addressed in 2k12. But I'll really put the game through its paces over the weekend and comment on it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2011, 11:40:24 PM »
Played about 3 games with my brother this evening so I can offer some observations.

- The shooting window is definitely more lenient (wider) than last year. There were times when you would really struggle to even hit wide open shots in NBA 2k11 because the proper release window was so tight. It's wider this year which helps jump shooters and jump shooting teams.
- The hop step button (Y on 360) has been removed and has been replaced with a post up move. The hop step was a pretty cheap way we always used to get in the lane when driving so that opportunity has been removed.
- The new post game stuff is a lot more effective than last year. Very few people I played actually used the post game in NBA 2k11 but me and my brother were both dumping it in the post and spinning to the basket or backing each other down a lot more than we did last year.
- Passing seems a bit easier. I'm very susceptible to turning over the ball with my passing game in NBA 2k but I seemed to turn it over a bit less in the three games we played. There is still some funky stuff where your player will select an odd pass animation that results in a turnover and pisses you off but it seems slightly improved from last year in that regard.
- Throwing alley-oops seems harder. I use to really exploit that last year but I turned over the ball a lot trying to do it in our games.
- I like the fastbreak better. Your player slows down less to gather the ball and the rest of your team actually seems to sprint on a fastbreak. The fast breaks in 2k11 often got bogged down and blown because the defense seemed like it got a speed boost or something on them.
- The isomotion stuff seems a little more powerful this year. The AI defenders seem to bite on the jabsteps a little more and the crossovers and stuff seemed to work a little better for me but maybe we were just doing them better against each other.
- We both liked it a bit more than NBA 2k11 mainly because of the wider shooting window, the post-up game, and the removal of the hop-step.

pilonv1

« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »
Post game was good last year but it was really predictable and you couldn't move out of the post easily. This year it's much smoother and you can escape from anything.

I thought the passing was better last year than this year, seems a bit less crisp in 2k12. The biggest issue is that you don't have any psychic defenders who steal passes with their back turned now.
itm

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2011, 01:43:45 AM »
Malek tells me that Dirk has an 85 rating. Still gets no respect.
AMC

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2011, 03:46:36 AM »
The overalls aren't that important, it's the stupid way they're calculated. Dirk's not the most athletic guy so he gets big penalties in the overall, while Josh Smith gets huge boosts from that despite not being able to hit the broadside of a battleship most nights. Dirk is still one of the most devastating scorers in-game.

I've been long against the overalls but you can't get rid of them for stupid reasons.

Himu

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2011, 03:57:44 AM »
tried out forza 4 demo. meh.

tried out nba 2k12 demo. :rock
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »
The overalls aren't that important, it's the stupid way they're calculated. Dirk's not the most athletic guy so he gets big penalties in the overall, while Josh Smith gets huge boosts from that despite not being able to hit the broadside of a battleship most nights. Dirk is still one of the most devastating scorers in-game.

I've been long against the overalls but you can't get rid of them for stupid reasons.

Ah ok, I was thinking it was maybe something like that, too.
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »
I was playing with Dirk and he is a beast. He was hitting everything.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2011, 12:25:33 PM »
I was playing with Dirk and he is a beast. He was hitting everything.

I will notify Malek haha.
AMC

Himu

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2011, 03:11:18 AM »
help with defense in nba2k12 plz

my friend massacred me
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:15:26 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2011, 10:17:29 AM »
Need more info. How was he beating you. Jump shots. Driving and scoring. How were you playing and how was your offense.

Some very very general tips I would give are:

1.) Grab the defender of the weakest offensive player on the squad. I use him to double team since I'm less afraid of that player hurting me.
2.) Go into the menu settings and switch the defense to tight especially on outside shooters.
3.) Keep your eye on the other teams best shooter especially if he is a superstar. I'll often immediately id that guy as the ball is brought up and cling to him because its often easy for those guys to get open for three's.
4.) Don't over jump on outside shooters. Most people pump fake on the perimeter alot and then drive right by you for a lay-up. Just stick close and raise your arms on defense to contest the shot. (move right stick)
5.) Consider switching your defense from man to man to zone. It doesn't help as much as I would like but sometimes it confuses the offensive player until he adjusts.

Himu

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2011, 10:11:35 PM »
fuck triple threat lmao
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2011, 12:52:44 AM »
Playing against the legends is so fun. I was playing the Celtics against the Hawks and fucking Dominique was unstoppable at the end of the game.

Himu

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2011, 04:45:03 AM »
I am TERRIBLE at this game. Just did an online game and the dude had 70 + points against my 26. HELP.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
Sounds like you're just jumping a level ahead. Play the CPU. Do the training camp. Go into practice mode and get your skills up.

Himu

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
These videos are helping me a lot despite some of them being for NBA 2k11, the lessons are still are relevant, being that I'm new to 2k (haven't played a 2k game in 10 years since 2k1 came out). I'm an arcade sports player, so this being a sim is new  to me.

[youtube=560,345]glmy5OBUkbw[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]e8c5ielIUjY[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]WbAdDEQE9p4[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]DOL_LycPQ7w[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]1knFg_XCDBM[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]afG223CObiM[/youtube]
IYKYK

pilonv1

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2011, 06:43:23 PM »
Trade logic is fucking stupid. 1 month into My Player and over half my team is gone. Never buying a 2k game at launch again
itm

Himu

« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2011, 01:34:39 AM »
Getting better. Having a lot of trouble defending against threes though.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2011, 05:15:44 PM »
Magic is a beast but god damn his jump shot is difficult for me to get use to.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
They are bringing back NFL Blitz.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »
So excited.

Is it a full retail game or is it, like it should be, a downloadable game?

EA has announced a new, EA Tiburon-developed version of Midway's popular arcade American football franchise NFL Blitz will be coming to Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network in January.

The Blitz franchise is known for fast-paced, simplified seven-on-seven gameplay and over-the-top hits and tackles, as opposed to the realism and deeper tactical decision-making of EA's bet-selling Madden NFL series.

New features in the revamp include co-operative and competitive online gameplay, HD graphics, a single-player "gauntlet" challenge mode and unlockable players to be used on customizable teams.

NFL Blitz first appeared in arcades in 1997 and was subsequently ported to systems from the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Color to the PlayStation 2 and Xbox over multiple annual updates through 2003.

After EA acquired the exclusive rights to the NFL license in late 2004, Midway spun the series off into Blitz: The League, featuring unlicensed player and team names and an increased focus on locker room storylines.

EA's relaunch for the series follow's a similar EA Tiburon-led revival for Midway's NBA Jam series, following the company's acquisition of Jam and NFL Blitz creator Mark Turmell last year. Turmell has since left EA for social game maker Zynga.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:03 PM »

pilonv1

« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2011, 03:04:16 AM »
No late hits, typical no fun league
itm

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »
Gorillaz on the field? That's racist.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2011, 02:43:32 AM »
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212844p1.html

9.0 for WWE 12.

I'm intrigued yet highly skeptical at the same time.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2011, 03:38:21 AM »
Greg Miller has given the last two Smackdown games good reviews as well (8.5 for 2010 and 8.0 for 2011), so it's not really saying much. Looks like the same old game to me, except this time I have to pay extra for Shawn Michaels. >:(

BiSH

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2011, 04:17:18 AM »
Having only three road to Wrestlemania stories to play through is a huge turn off for me, but I'll get '12 eventually anyway.
Hi

Stoney Mason

« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2011, 10:00:50 AM »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »
is sega soccer slam still fun ?
USA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2011, 12:27:11 AM »
Bought Forza 4 today. Enjoying it. I'm not remotely a car nut but I enjoy driving games and I like how high end sports cars look. Had a fun race where I was racing a muscle car down a winding mountain chasing some modern car. I lost but it was to watch the reply and see my car sliding around all over the place. I like the music in the game also.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2012, 12:03:39 PM »
NFL Blitz comes out this week.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2012, 11:45:13 PM »
NFL Blitz comes out this week.

Didn't that used to be a Midway title?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2012, 11:56:03 PM »
Yes. It was their football take on NBA JAM.  I loved it back in the day and on the dreamcast.

I might still pick it up but I don't like that video above. Something about it looks wrong although I can't put my finger on it.

Edit: also I think I would prefer an updated cyberball rather than blitz but  I'm old school.i
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:01:52 AM by Stoney Mason »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2012, 12:16:17 AM »
It was recently discussed at length in the Giant Bombcast; Gerstmann was apparently a pro-level player of the earlier games, and the current team has been bringing him in for press and insight. He has refrained from actual advising, because he understands that the level of play he represents, to some degree, represents potentially abnormal play and code/design exploits rather than standard play.