Author Topic: What did you eat lately?  (Read 24649 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: What did you eat lately?
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »
Holy pork product, Batman! I needs me some cornbread and BBQ too!

CrystalGemini

« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2011, 06:03:28 AM »
Wow, how did you fit all that in  ???

We shared.  ;) 

I planned it all out: nobody buys more than one of anything and we all take a bite or two that way we'd have enough room to try as many foods as we can.  Of course we were still too full and didn't get to try EVERYTHING we wanted (those ribs and drumsticks were pretty good sized but damn were they good and the hot dogs were free so of course we had to take them).  I never even got to dessert.

Life is so unfair... :'(
O_O

CrystalGemini

« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2011, 06:11:58 AM »
Holy pork product, Batman! I needs me some cornbread and BBQ too!

DUDE.  You didn't even see the whole roast lamb.  It was beautiful.

O_O

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2011, 09:15:10 AM »
Do they actually do whole cows?

CrystalGemini

« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2011, 06:06:38 PM »
They butchered a whole cow but I didn't see anyone cook a whole cow.  :(
O_O

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
Chinese food. General Tso's chicken, some fried rice, and I tried  shrimp lo mein omg it was awesome

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2011, 08:46:06 PM »
http://www.tacocasatexas.com/

My bowels are currently rebelling against the rest of my body, but those tacos were SOOOOOO good.  :'(
dog

CrystalGemini

« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2011, 02:23:38 AM »
Chinese food. General Tso's chicken, some fried rice, and I tried  shrimp lo mein omg it was awesome

I still have a hard time remembering what all these Americanized Chinese dishes are.  I still have to google them everytime someone mentions one.  Everything just seems like whatever was left in the cupboard/refrigerator thrown together with some oil.
O_O

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »
Filled my taco bell loyal customer card! Getting my free combo this saturday after school! :hyper
Drunk

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »
Sausage McMuffin and a hash brown just now. :drool
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2011, 08:54:17 AM »
I ate a half a Snickers Almond for breakfast. :rock
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2011, 12:00:56 PM »

I still have a hard time remembering what all these Americanized Chinese dishes are.  I still have to google them everytime someone mentions one.  Everything just seems like whatever was left in the cupboard/refrigerator thrown together with some oil.

General Tso in particular appears to have been the moodiest general in Chinese history. His dish is different at any restaurant I've even been to; I can only assume its a sign of his caprice.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »
I like when they just tell you what it is like Broccoli Beef or Chicken Fried Rice.
©@©™

Rman

« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
Just had bacon and eggs for breakfast.  hot sauce on eggs as always

« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2011, 01:49:45 PM »

General Tso in particular appears to have been the moodiest general in Chinese history. His dish is different at any restaurant I've even been to; I can only assume its a sign of his caprice.

I actually read about the history of General Tso's Chicken on Wiki one day this Summer.

Yep, I had nothing better to do.
野球

Robo

« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2011, 02:24:43 PM »
Curried goat and creamed spinach for lunch. :drool
obo

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »
I had curried goat in Jamaica. It was awesome. :drool
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2011, 06:45:45 PM »

Whatevs it was good :smug

had some chicken noodle soup today and I'm still hungry. Kind of want more chinese food  :-\

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2011, 09:26:03 AM »
Wandered around Ebisu until I found something enticing: a shop with Minoh Beer! They didn't have the W-IPA, but they did have a lovely Pale Ale. I had okonomiyaki with shrimp, pork, octopus, two fat oysters and an over-medium fried egg on top.

:burp

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
one of those cereal fruit bar things and a coffee so far.
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2011, 02:11:07 PM »
baked chicken for lunch

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2011, 04:30:24 PM »
I tries dominos new artisan pizza, pretty damn good! I got the salami and peppers one.

i refuse to believe dominos could put out anything that wasnt total fuckin trash.  i wont even eat that shit for free :-X
pcp

« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2011, 04:38:50 PM »
Wandered around Ebisu until I found something enticing: a shop with Minoh Beer! They didn't have the W-IPA, but they did have a lovely Pale Ale. I had okonomiyaki with shrimp, pork, octopus, two fat oysters and an over-medium fried egg on top.

(Image removed from quote.)

Okonomiyaki and beer?

You sir, are awesome. I'm jealous.
野球

« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
The new Dominos is awful. It's incredibly greasy and oily.
野球

drew

• sy
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
protein powder for breakfast, veal patty with bruschetta for lunch and almonds for linner

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
ham sammich
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
:drool Pizza Hut :drool

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
The only Americanized Chinese Food I think I still like is Salt&Pepper Squid and Beef and Black Bean Sauce n' Shit
___

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2011, 05:23:17 PM »

I stayed with my brother for a bit and while he was was working in a town near for a few weeks and I was unemployed and he could expense his food. We ordered PH nearby with stuffed crust and mad sides and fixin's for like a week. Some of the best/worst stuff I've ever ate. :drool
___

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2011, 07:07:50 PM »
I tries dominos new artisan pizza, pretty damn good! I got the salami and peppers one.

i refuse to believe dominos could put out anything that wasnt total fuckin trash.  i wont even eat that shit for free :-X

Then you dumb. The completely reformulated their pizza.

:lol reformulated

it still tastes worse than the $3 frozen pizzas at the grocery store.  dont you at least have some local places around you?
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2011, 07:36:15 PM »
spencer i wish you'd just admit that your opinion is incorrect and apologize
pcp

« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »
Papa Johns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dominos
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2011, 12:23:49 AM »
i can't even swallow dominos
AMC

« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2011, 12:55:58 AM »
i think i messed up pretty bad. just ate a bowl of cardomom rice (that i made last night) with half a mince+cheese pie and tomato sauce.

at least the rice was awesome last night with egg roll (seasoned with fish sauce + soy), thai green cabbage and orange.
thx

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2011, 01:05:21 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Okonomiyaki and beer?

You sir, are awesome. I'm jealous.

The pale ale was very tasty, but I wished they had the W-IPA I've mentioned elsewhere.

As if to make up for that good meal, my lunch today was a stunningly mediocre vegetable curry at a ekimae place. Not sure what I was thinking, except that the Ebessan place was actually closer to the station than this crappy curry joint.

Oh, well; I'll be making up for it soon with Cormacaroni -- craft beers and deep dish pizza!

Robo

« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2011, 11:50:30 AM »
+1 Spencer's tastebuds.  I prefer Dominos if I have to pick between one of the big pizza chains.  It's gotten a hell of a lot better in just the last year or so.  Pizza Hut is about the same.  Don't care for Papa Johns.  Little Caesars is terrible.

Talkin the basics here.  Hand tossed, cheese, sauce, maybe mushrooms/peppers/onions/pineapple, no meat.  There's no reward in experimenting with the menu.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:00:10 PM by Robo »
obo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
Had a classic crust pizza and a deep dish Chicago pizza with Cormacaroni, and many beers tonight.

I should have taken a picture of the pizza, but we inhaled them. The beer might have been good for a picture or two, but I will have to post pictures of empty glasses there, too.

Good evening.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2011, 12:22:17 PM »
To be fair, I haven't had Dominos or Pizza Hut in probably a decade, Little Caesars probably a little bit more recent, and I've never had Papa Johns. They are all terrible, I'm sure.
AMC

« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »
Papa Johns isn't bad. I haven't had Pizza Hut in probably ten years.

If I'm gonna get big chain pizza, I'm getting Garlic Jims.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »
Papa Johns is pretty cool. My favorite is Cottage Inn; dunno if those exist outside of Michigan though, it was founded in Ann Arbor.

I haven't had Dominos in awhile, but I used to get it all the time when I lived on campus. It used to be horrible until they changed their crust/cheese recipe

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2011, 12:51:02 PM »

I stayed with my brother for a bit and while he was was working in a town near for a few weeks and I was unemployed and he could expense his food. We ordered PH nearby with stuffed crust and mad sides and fixin's for like a week. Some of the best/worst stuff I've ever ate. :drool
:drool

The best thing is getting a stuffed crust meat lovers and wings and dipping the stuffed crust into the leftover wing sauce.  Sooooo good.

My wife and I met while we both worked at pizza hut so we have a soft spot for it

Brehvolution

« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »
House fried rice

:bow chinese
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
I just ate some more baked chicken!

« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »
$5 footlong turkey breast sandwich from Subway.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
Eating some amazing spicy cheese and crackers at work omg. No one seems to want it either, so it's all mine  8)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
im thinking eating cottage cheese after its been out all day is never a good idea
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #166 on: October 04, 2011, 08:28:04 PM »
SHOTS FIRED, DAMAGE DONE: Three pizzas, plate of buffalo wings, and a lot of freakin' beer:

CrystalGemini

« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2011, 12:09:46 AM »
Went to a small Indian place in town for lunch:

O_O

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2011, 06:46:32 AM »

Breakfast this morning at Ebisu station, in Antico Caffe, an Italian or Italian-themed chain. Prosciutto and mozzarella panini with caffe latte for breakfast. Was delicious.

People in Tokyo dress better than people in Osaka. Pretty much everyone looked impeccable. Most of the women even knew how to walk in heels, which can be pretty uncommon here.

In summary: lovely cup o' joe, tasty, warm sammich with pork product, quietly busy back alley with lots of peoplewatching. I was enjoying myself.

Brehvolution

« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »
:bow Prosciutto :bow2

My favorite meat. :heart
©ZH

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »
How is Italian food in Japan? Is it similar to Americanized Italian food?

Since I've never been, what is ethnic food like in Japan, can you get Mexican/Indian/Ethiopian/Greek/etc or is it just mostly other Asian countries?
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
I want to believe that mexican food in Japan would be really awesome.
©@©™

« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

Since I've never been, what is ethnic food like in Japan, can you get Mexican/Indian/Ethiopian/Greek/etc or is it just mostly other Asian countries?

French food is big, as is Italian. I saw Americanized Italian as well as more traditional fare.

Indian food is awesome in Japan. My wife and I ate a little place near our hotel in Tokyo (Yanaka neighborhood) that was run by a family who moved to Japan from India. Absolutely incredible.

There's Mexican food, but there aren't a ton of places that serve it.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »

In Tokyo, apparently you can get just about anything.

In Osaka, there it's more common to see other asian cuisines, and some Italian/French as Herr Gundam mentioned. Those two are probably the prevalent euro styles, but I suspect they're heavily adapted to Japan. You can get pizza anywhere, and it's so japanified that it is arguably a different food. Or just "bad pizza." Vietnamese, which is super prevalent on the west coast of America, is largely absent from what I've seen, but I have been in two restaurants, one of which had absolutely miserable pho.

I've never seen a Greek or Ethiopian restaurant here.

I want to believe that mexican food in Japan would be really awesome.
I'd like to believe that too, but it is not so. The first place I tried to eat Mexican food at in Japan, it was a lovely, Mexican-themed environment, a spacious patio under the sun, brick and stucco, Spanish colonial façade everywhere. Then the food arrived. It looked great. A build-your-own taco plate with tortillas, sour cream, etc. WOW! Except, it turned out the meat hadn't been warmed; they thought it was supposed to be room temperature. And it wasn't sour cream, it was whipped cream. No joke.

The only other place I've tried it here, it's expensive and not very good. When I make tacos at home, they're better than this place's tacos. However, there are enchiladas and chile rellenos at El Pancho, so I occasionally indulge. The only thing on the menu worth going for are the yuzu (citron) margaritas.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
Italian food is awesome in Tokyo on the whole. There is of course a spectrum of price and quality but even in the likes of Denny's you will get ok pasta. If you are prepared to pay, you can get any quality you like. The top chefs will invariably have trained in Italy and usually won awards and stuff (due to not being lazy guineas presumably).
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2011, 02:03:35 AM »
I think there's good Italian under those same rules in Osaka, but where I am in the boonies, it's just Cappricciosa: VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2011, 02:14:48 AM »
Finally got some ghee at a reasonable price, and have been using it for cooking eggs and such. It tastes really good, and is very timely considering there is currently a shortage of domestic butter over here. Also got some almond butter that was not extortionate.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »
Made some more of that Jamie Oliver spanish-style chicken, only with stuffing. Lemon slices under the skin, whole lemon + onion + parsley + herbs inside, pepper salami on top (no chorizo :(  ). Garnished w/ gremolata, potatoes boiled first then roasted in same tray. It was pretty great, though I saved most of it for the next day.

vjj

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #178 on: October 09, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »
I fuckin love pretzel chips
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #179 on: October 09, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »
Everything pretzel chips are omfg